Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's time to admit Nancy Pelosi is an extraordinarily talented politician.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Groovelord Neato posted:

he was a marine who served there so acts as a talking head for how it was hosed up.

https://twitter.com/TMZ/status/1062839169586749440

https://twitter.com/DonaldJTrumpJr/status/1062845440205426689?s=19

:cripes:

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

skylined! posted:

:geno:

You are being willfully ignorant.

No, i'm just not overestimating the strategic abilities of the democrats

Pelosi gets praised endlessly by the center for passing ACA but she also explicitly prevented a public option, she's still a lovely corporate dem

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Mr_Moose posted:

Now he's as finally as qualified as Trump to be president

Really want to understand how this came to be.

The CNN article a few pages back goes into a lot of detail. The tl;dr about it is that she was rather forceful and dismissive with Melania's staff during the Africa trip, earning the ire of the First Lady.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

He's just so amazingly stupid

Anyone who thought Bastaman had a shot at the being the nominee is out of their minds

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Mr_Moose posted:

Now he's as finally as qualified as Trump to be president

Really want to understand how this came to be.

Trump is too chickenshit to fire anyone, and he won't have Kelly do it right now because he's pissed at him.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

i decided to stop into the avenatti toxx thread and it's really great right now

i just need to be really, really careful about which window i'm posting in

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Yinlock posted:

Pelosi gets praised endlessly by the center for passing ACA but she also explicitly prevented a public option, she's still a lovely corporate dem

No she didn't, the House bill included a public option.

It was a lovely public option that the CBO estimated would do nothing and be worthless because it was effectively barred from costing less than private insurance, so she's responsible for it sucking, but not for it getting stripped out which happened in the senate was Obama's doing as part of a deal he struck with insurance companies

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

TulliusCicero posted:

Anyone who thought Bastaman had a shot at the being the nominee is out of their minds

I know at least one guy who thinks he would be the nominee, and he still believes that right now.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

TulliusCicero posted:

Sadly that is one of the more crafty statements Jr. has made, likely by accident. No one wanted Avenatti to run for anything, but because he said that he wanted to try it allows everyone to go DEM BAD.

Of course ignoring the fact that yeah, some dems are bad, which is why people on the left are supporting his arrest. Rule of law isn't a loving team game

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Re: Facebook and Schumer Chat.

https://twitter.com/KrangTNelson/status/1062844999937736705

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
"No way a man who assaulted his ex could possibly be president!" I scream into my pillow weeping.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

VitalSigns posted:

No she didn't, the House bill included a public option.

It was a lovely public option that the CBO estimated would do nothing and be worthless because it was effectively barred from costing less than private insurance, so she's responsible for it sucking, but not for it getting stripped out which happened in the senate was Obama's doing as part of a deal he struck with insurance companies

i hadn't heard this / didn't remember this but i'm gonna be honest, even then it might still be a step up over what we got

i trust the federal government to run a better ship than most major insurance companies for the same price

if you got an article on the topic that'd be neat, although it's hardly crucial or urgent since the thing died almost a loving decade ago

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Nov 15, 2018

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Please God no.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Yinlock posted:

The house passed a public option though, it was killed in the Senate by Baccus and Lieberman

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
By "taking another position in the Administration" but leaving the White House, I'm thinking Ricardel took the (apparently standard) Omarosa payoff/hushmoney deal.

How is it that nobody made a gif of Schumer dancing like a drunk grandpa at the 2016 DNC?

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

TulliusCicero posted:

I mean if he was a republican this would be a feature, not a bug, so I can understand the sentiment

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
See, the thing about Avenatti is, he's a fighter

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Have enough Dems pledged to oppose Pelosi that winning them over really matters? Or are folks expecting others to follow their lead?

This sounds like a whole lot of nothing IMO

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

GreyjoyBastard posted:

i hadn't heard this / didn't remember this but i'm gonna be honest, even then it might still be a step up over what we got

i trust the federal government to run a better ship than most major insurance companies for the same price

if you got an article on the topic that'd be neat, although it's hardly crucial or urgent since the thing died almost a loving decade ago

Budget Office: Public Option Would Cost More than Private Plans

quote:

A significant factor for the higher premiums would be the fact that House Democrats included in the legislation unveiled Thursday a public option that would negotiate its payment rates with medical providers. Liberals like Pelosi were inclined to include a public option that tied its payment rates to Medicare -- this would have made it cheaper, but moderate Democrats from rural areas complained that doctors and medical providers in their regions would not be paid enough.

It would not have been better than what we got absent incremental improvements from future congresses and the door slammed shut on that in 2010 so it would most likely have just been another whipping horse for Republicans to "prove" government doesn't work.

And yeah notice the Blue Dogs were happy to murder their own constituents to keep business profits up (ironically business profits would have been better with a public option with rates tied to Medicare because they actually would have gotten business lol)

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Yes but you see if we get rid of Pelosi it will send a message that we want things to be more progressive.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

https://twitter.com/DavidMDrucker/status/1062850654291537920

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Deified Data posted:

Have enough Dems pledged to oppose Pelosi that winning them over really matters? Or are folks expecting others to follow their lead?

This.

This worthless attempt at a coup seems to be exactly that.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

See, the thing about Avenatti is, he's a fighter

tbf this does actually mean something, people are tired of this middle-of-the-road let's compromise with nazis horseshit, they want someone, anyone to actually fight for once

I don't think they wanted you to fight your wife though basta, might wanna dial it back a little

good, perez is the final piece of the schumer/pelosi/perez Succforce

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Angry_Ed posted:

Yes but you see if we get rid of Pelosi it will send a message that we want things to be more progressive.

tbh, i'm surprised that the blue dogs turned out to be traitorous

no-one saw that one coming

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

Deified Data posted:

they don't need others if republicans join their efforts.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

junior's dad assaulted his mom.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

TulliusCicero posted:

This.

This worthless attempt at a coup seems to be exactly that.

How many votes do they need to unseat Pelosi?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Deified Data posted:

if they can hold her to sub-218 they can demand concessions, but i suspect that's all they'll do

also, at that point it does as people have noted become a serious prisoner's dilemma problem, where the first X people to defect get grudging forgiveness and a tidbit or two, and the holdouts get the enmity of the ruthless hardass who just got reconfirmed in her leadership position

papa horny michael posted:

the odds of this carrying through are very nearly zero

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Fart City posted:

I love that AOC makes chuds so mad. I also love that she’s going to be part of the political landscape for like, the next half century.

Yeah but the year is 2066 and the USPOL thread is restless. They have had enough of millenial libs trying to translate their ancient twitter game onto the neural net. And did you hear how Speaker AOC voted for the previous speaker who said she was a capitalist way back when? Betcha didn’t until my neural meme just galaxy’d your mind! Such cowardly centrism cannot stand, must not stand.

Only Khaleesi Pikachu Sanders, II, can lead our party against the Jordan Peterson Head in a Jar presidency.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

rscott posted:

The house passed a public option though, it was killed in the Senate by Baccus and Lieberman

oh right I was mistaken on that one, though I'll also say that democrats typically only try progressive legislation when they know it'll fail

I was still wrong there, though.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

Budget Office: Public Option Would Cost More than Private Plans

It would not have been better than what we got absent incremental improvements from future congresses and the door slammed shut on that in 2010 so it would most likely have just been another whipping horse for Republicans to "prove" government doesn't work.

And yeah notice the Blue Dogs were happy to murder their own constituents to keep business profits up (ironically business profits would have been better with a public option with rates tied to Medicare because they actually would have gotten business lol)

sweet, thanks

for certain values of sweet

i read CBO reports semi-recreationally sometimes :saddowns:

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

That's Tim Miller. A "friend of the pod" for the Obama boys podcast network.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

papa horny michael posted:

Right, I was just wondering if their new majority wouldn't be enough to just steamroll such a thing.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Deified Data posted:

We have no idea, because we still don't know how many Democrats will be in Congress. it's currently 229 - 198 with 8 TBD. 17 is in the neighborhood of mattering, though, if they actually voted against her. If they merely abstained, then no.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

GreyjoyBastard posted:

if they can hold her to sub-218 they can demand concessions, but i suspect that's all they'll do

also, at that point it does as people have noted become a serious prisoner's dilemma problem, where the first X people to defect get grudging forgiveness and a tidbit or two, and the holdouts get the enmity of the ruthless hardass who just got reconfirmed in her leadership position

the odds of this carrying through are very nearly zero

Here you go being all reasonable and logical about it. Clearly the correct answer it zero-tolerance for centrists regardless of the cost.

Honestly though, everything you said is pretty much 100% how it will play out I bet. Only with the added Trump interjection afterwards of "HAHA losers tricked you into picking HER again!" and all the predictable ones taking the bait.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Retro42 posted:

Clearly the correct answer it zero-tolerance for centrists regardless of the cost.

Unironically yes. No collaborators.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Another day with no indictments. :qq:

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

For those who don't read, it's over the reforms to superdelegates' role.

Washington Examiner posted:

Black Caucus members remain upset with how Perez handled the historic August vote to strip superdelegates of their power during the party’s presidential nominating process. The changes block superdelegates — elected officials and party leaders — from casting a vote for any presidential candidate unless a second ballot is required at the 2020 national convention.

Congressional Black Caucus Chairman Cedric Richmond, D-La., confirmed to the Washington Examiner that the vote passed for a “combination of reasons” but the primary reason was the superdelegate reforms adopted by the DNC earlier this year.

Tanith fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Nov 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Yinlock posted:

good, perez is the final piece of the schumer/pelosi/perez Succforce

You should read their rationale.

e;fb