Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Jaxyon posted:

My understanding is that in Cali that's 4 stories, which is why all those shoddy pseudo-italian places in LA are that tall.

Suppose that's reasonable. France has fewer earthquakes than we do.

So if Porter manages to eke it out in the 45th, that puts us at five flipped seats, right?

Edit: I guess the 39th might still be in play too? Cool.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Nov 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Jaxyon posted:

My understanding is that in Cali that's 4 stories, which is why all those shoddy pseudo-italian places in LA are that tall.

Max is 85 feet so 5 stories I think and you can build on top of a concrete "podium" to get to 6 if you want to keep street level for parking or shops or whatnot.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Skippy McPants posted:

So if Porter manages to eke it out in the 45th, that puts us at five flipped seats, right?

CA-39 is looking more and more like a flip as more batches of mail-in votes come in, which is why young kim is :qq:-ing about how counting those ballots is voter fraud

i mean poo poo it was only like a week ago that we thought we missed the 10th and 45th and 39th

fun fact, on another note: we actually picked up a seat back in the june primary centered around oceanside and held by a republican, because this time around two dems and a shitload of republicans ran and the two dems made it to the primary

for whatever reason the dems never contested this seat in 2012, 2014 or 2016

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Nov 14, 2018

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Skippy McPants posted:

There were 6 flippable Republican seats in CA

CA-10 Harder (D) vs. Denham (R)
CA-25 Hill (D) vs. Knight (R)
CA-39 Cisneros (D) vs. Kim (R)
CA-45 Porter (D) vs. Walters (R)
CA-48 Rouda (D) vs. Rohrabacher (R)
CA-49 Levin (D) vs. Harkey (R) (Issa's old seat)

And 8 mostly-safe seats for R's
CA-01 LaMalfa (won 55-45)
CA-04 McClintock (55-45)
CA-08 Cook (60-40)
CA-21 Valadao (51-49)
CA-22 Nunes (55-45)
CA-33 McCarthy (65-35)
CA-42 Calvert (59-41)
CA-50 Hunter (53-47)

Looks like Team D is going to take all six, assuming Cisneros catches Kim. Which is great, because the morning after the election it looked like they only snagged three, with the Republicans holding on to the other three by 51-49 margins. With the late counts, it seem the Dems have taken the other two, and maybe all three, resulting in a run of the table.

Those last eight seats will be hard to flip, though - those are some red fuckin' districts. CA-21 looks promising. CA-50 will probably have a Democrat in it before two years are up, but it'll probably flip right back in 2020.

I saw there will be something like 104 new members (out of 435) of the House when it convenes in January; it's been a long time since that sclerotic institution saw so much turnover in one cycle.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

CA-21 voted for obama and hillary by 10% plus margins, but from what i gather valadao is personally popular in the district to the point where he won the open seat by a landslide even as obama ran away with it in 2012, and apparently is still hanging on in 2018

also this used to be dennis cardoza's district, and you can still see STOP THE CARDOZA CREATED DUST BOWL signs driving down the 5 even though cardoza hasn't been in office for over five years at this point

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Nov 14, 2018

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
This thread probably needs no additional reasons to hate Tea Party poo poo head Denham but here's a fairly fresh one that really tickled me: in a debate with Harder he stated that the Bay Area causes climate change.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

SuperKlaus posted:

This thread probably needs no additional reasons to hate Tea Party poo poo head Denham but here's a fairly fresh one that really tickled me: in a debate with Harder he stated that the Bay Area causes climate change.

Heavy graping did climate change

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

CA-21 voted for obama and hillary by 10% plus margins, but from what i gather valadao is personally popular in the district to the point where he won the open seat by a landslide even as obama ran away with it in 2012, and apparently is still hanging on in 2018

i read tj cox's site and issues page and whatnot and it was the most boring garbage i'd ever seen. im not terribly surprised he ended up being basically the only democrat to not win

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

i heard valadao got in to begin with because his opponent in 2012 was just so bland and lovely, that area democrats were grumbling about it even two years later

Elvis Enwright
Jun 22, 2004
just like any other man, only more so
Any fellow Chico/breathing smoke area goons, don't forget to look into winterizing (sealing) your windows. We just did and it's made a world of difference in our place.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Elvis Enwright posted:

Any fellow Chico/breathing smoke area goons, don't forget to look into winterizing (sealing) your windows. We just did and it's made a world of difference in our place.

Dude get an air filter too if you dont have one the airs gonna be hosed there for a month so it will start sucking to have no fresh air in your residence. I put off getting an ionizer and m y area was orange for solid month iirc. Ive heard different things about the extent of the fire,did it get inside of chico proper?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Nov 14, 2018

Elvis Enwright
Jun 22, 2004
just like any other man, only more so

LeoMarr posted:

Dude get an air filter too if you dont have one the airs gonna be hosed there for a month so it will start sucking to have no fresh air in your residence. I put off getting an ionizer and m y area was orange for solid month iirc. Ive heard different things about the extent of the fire,did it get inside of chico proper?

Oh, right! We've got an air filter going (and strapped a big filter to a box fan as well).

It didn't get inside Chico proper; some folks on the east side of the city had to evacuate but I'm pretty sure they're all back now.

But yeah, we're figuring to check the air quality for the next month or so. The Carr Fire in Redding earlier this year sent a lot of particles this way as a prelude. Sigh.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

:toot:

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
Can someone please recommend a brand of air filters/purifiers for me? I never bought one before, but I suspect that this is a good investment given that we can only expect more wildfires in the future.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Snipee posted:

Can someone please recommend a brand of air filters/purifiers for me? I never bought one before, but I suspect that this is a good investment given that we can only expect more wildfires in the future.

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-air-purifier/

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
So, just how Democratic is the state of California these days?

https://twitter.com/RussOnPolitics/status/1062549998947196930
As someone who remembers the 1980s and the Deukmejian and Wilson (and Schwarzenegger!) governorships, this really is something.

Blue wave could get even bigger

https://twitter.com/rpyers/status/1062757796897206272
3.1m votes still to count.

Is there any hope for flipping CA-21?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

FMguru posted:

As someone who remembers the 1980s and the Deukmejian and Wilson (and Schwarzenegger!) governorships, this really is something.

I realize California has a huge number of voters, and mail ballots are accepted three days after the election, but it's been a whole week. This is unacceptably slow. They need to hire more people, buy more machines, etc in order to count the votes in a timely manner.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Geez that creepy smile Newsom has... He can at least TRY to avoid making it look like he's about to shoot a laser beam out of his mouth when they start asking him about statewide health coverage.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

FMguru posted:

I hate this slimy gently caress

He says all the right things but I swear to God every fiber of my being is screaming at me that he's trying to sell me a car that's going to implode the second I drive it off the lot

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Panfilo posted:

Geez that creepy smile Newsom has... He can at least TRY to avoid making it look like he's about to shoot a laser beam out of his mouth when they start asking him about statewide health coverage.

The laser is healing.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
he should just go full Patrick Bateman at all times.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
The 600 series had rubber skin. We spotted them easy, but these are new. They look human... sweat, bad breath, everything. Very hard to spot. I had to wait till he moved on you before I could zero him.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

"I like to dissect women. Did you know I'm utterly insane?"

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Gavin Newsom making history by not being a Republican after two years of Trump

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

people were excited to vote for newsom because of his inspiring platform of being the democrat on the ballot

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

FMguru posted:

The GOP didn’t even try this year. Coupled with Trump’s extreme unpopularity and the fact literally nobody was excited for Cox I’m not surprised Gavbot won in a landslide.

In many ways, Schwarzenegger was the last hurrah of the Cali GOP. He was exceptionally liberal (for a Republican) and very charismatic. I doubt the levers of power will ever be in their hands again except if they completely drop their socially conservative platform and focus their energies on pandering to rich liberals on taxes and more handouts for property owners.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

ProperGanderPusher posted:

The GOP didn’t even try this year. Coupled with Trump’s extreme unpopularity and the fact literally nobody was excited for Cox I’m not surprised Gavbot won in a landslide.

In many ways, Schwarzenegger was the last hurrah of the Cali GOP. He was exceptionally liberal (for a Republican) and very charismatic. I doubt the levers of power will ever be in their hands again except if they completely drop their socially conservative platform and focus their energies on pandering to rich liberals on taxes and more handouts for property owners.

hey youve just described the california democratic party

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Charlz Guybon posted:

I realize California has a huge number of voters, and mail ballots are accepted three days after the election, but it's been a whole week. This is unacceptably slow. They need to hire more people, buy more machines, etc in order to count the votes in a timely manner.

Why? What is the reason for spending piles of money in order to get the results faster, given none of the elected officials take their seats yet? What harm does taking a few days longer cause? Even if it took an extra month, I don't see how that hurts anything.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
California mail in ballots can be postmarked on Election Day, not three days prior.

I’m a dick that mailed my ballot at 5pm on Election Day, and it was accepted. Woop.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

truly moving

Shear Modulus posted:

hey youve just described the california democratic party

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Snipee posted:

If you have a Costco near by this one is really good and comes with 2 years worth of filters
https://www.costco.com/Winix-C535-Air-Cleaner-with-PlasmaWave-Technology.product.100280290.html

May be sold out in your area however.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Gavin gonna run a bunch of pro Republican ads in 2020 because he can make more headlines jawing about an unruly Republican state legislature than making up excuses for doing nothing with a Dem supermajority.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

eyebeem posted:

California mail in ballots can be postmarked on Election Day, not three days prior.

I’m a dick that mailed my ballot at 5pm on Election Day, and it was accepted. Woop.

You know you can also drop them at a polling place right

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Leperflesh posted:

Why? What is the reason for spending piles of money in order to get the results faster, given none of the elected officials take their seats yet? What harm does taking a few days longer cause? Even if it took an extra month, I don't see how that hurts anything.

Seriously. The last thing I want is to emulate that idiotic mess in Florida where they have these strict deadlines and a million legal challenges over whether or not you can count a ballot if it's been three whole days since the election.

The county offices have a month to submit final results, and since none of these people generally take their seats until January anyways I don't see the problem.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I HAVE TO KNOW NOW, DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND? THE RESULTS NEED TO BE FINAL ALREADY

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I HAVE TO KNOW NOW, DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND? THE RESULTS NEED TO BE FINAL ALREADY

"But if the count continues, more chuds might be screened out of office! Counting every vote is unfair to us chuds!"

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

“Do you like Huey Lewis and the News?”

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Charlz Guybon posted:

We should do this poo poo like the Indians do, tbh.

Edit: Actual secure machines with open source software, independent inspectors of machines, and no network access, so each machine needs to be brought back to have its vote tally transferred to a central database and all of it is webcast live the whole time.

Admiral Ray fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Nov 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Instant Sunrise posted: