Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

CARROT weather is a really good complication-app though. If you apply and get on the beta, they hijacc their CARROT Fitness app to give you a second complication on the Infograph Modular watchface. Apple gives devs the power to only have one circle slot regardless of position even though the normal Infograph one can have a whole bunch based off position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
I did a >11 minute workout yesterday but now don’t have the Veteran’s Day achievement/award. Does it just suck or is it because I used a 3rd-party exercise app and not literal Workouts?

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Yep, third party stuff is all over the place sometimes and most certainly doesn’t register as „workout“ in most cases even though it shows up in activity.app perfectly fine with regards to most data.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

fourwood posted:

I did a >11 minute workout yesterday but now don’t have the Veteran’s Day achievement/award. Does it just suck or is it because I used a 3rd-party exercise app and not literal Workouts?

I don't even see an award for Veteran's day? I worked out for an hour yesterday using the stock app.

:shrug:

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

MarcusSA posted:

I don't even see an award for Veteran's day? I worked out for an hour yesterday using the stock app.

:shrug:

It’s weird cause I saw the empty badge for it before Veterans Day, and I remember seeing and clearing the notification telling me I got it yesterday, but all traces of it has disappeared from my phone. It’s not even in recent awards.

Does anyone know what causes this?

I’ve noticed that sometimes I’ll leave a place and see that I have eg 15 workout minutes, and then 10 minutes later (with workout running) it’ll say something wrong like 17 minutes. I have a hunch it’s related to the sensor not being able to read my heart rate … except that it totally can because it tells me my average heart rate right above this.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Nov 12, 2018

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

The sensor regularly has a hard time reading my heart beat during a run until my wrist gets sweaty or so, probably a 1/2 mile in. Try taking the watch off, wiping the sensors a bit, and putting it back on, or opening the heart beat app to try to "kick" it.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Tab8715 posted:

Are there no 3rd-Party complications? I'd like to see Outlook (mostly for my calendar) and spotify.

Skeezy posted:

Outlook has a complication and so does Spotify now (Spotify one you have to join the beta test to get it though)

Outlook's complications haven't been updated since iOS 1.0 or something and don't support most of the watch faces. I suggest you complain to support; I'm hoping they'll get around to fixing this eventually.

Does the Spotify beta for Watch work over cellular without your phone present?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Didn’t get the Veterans Day badge either despite definitely doing a 30 minute workout in the workout app on the 11th.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

smackfu posted:

Didn’t get the Veterans Day badge either despite definitely doing a 30 minute workout in the workout app on the 11th.

And that’s why these badges can gently caress right off.

Like I get the idea behind them but gently caress they really suck at them lol.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Small White Dragon posted:

Outlook's complications haven't been updated since iOS 1.0 or something and don't support most of the watch faces. I suggest you complain to support; I'm hoping they'll get around to fixing this eventually.

Does the Spotify beta for Watch work over cellular without your phone present?

Spotify doesn’t work over LTE at all right now. The app is more like a remote for Spotify currently. Hoping eventually they make it more like the Apple Music app.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

And that’s why these badges can gently caress right off.

Like I get the idea behind them but gently caress they really suck at them lol.

I think it’s because they try to make them geography based. (And suck at that somehow.)

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I love how I can stand up and walk out of my room and over to the kitchen and wait long enough to get a coffee before coming back to my desk and not get any stand credit, yet at the same time I'll spontaneously get stand credit when I'm laying down on my couch watching Netflix.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

I love how I can stand up and walk out of my room and over to the kitchen and wait long enough to get a coffee before coming back to my desk and not get any stand credit, yet at the same time I'll spontaneously get stand credit when I'm laying down on my couch watching Netflix.

Yeah it’s weird sometimes and frustrating. Like I’ll be in the kitchen cooking for 20 min and not get a stand credit?? Lol

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
The trick is to build up surplus stand credit so you can slack off when the detection gets wonky :v:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Zwille posted:

The trick is to build up surplus stand credit so you can slack off when the detection gets wonky :v:

Yeah but some days I just wanna sleep in!

Though I have on a few occasions stayed up till 12am to get that first minute of stand time lol.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

The sensor regularly has a hard time reading my heart beat during a run until my wrist gets sweaty or so, probably a 1/2 mile in. Try taking the watch off, wiping the sensors a bit, and putting it back on, or opening the heart beat app to try to "kick" it.

I’ve had luck pushing my watch up on my wrist so it’s tighter and in a meatier part of my wrist.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

If you have a two story house or live on floor+ then it seems to gently caress with stand detection

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Almost killed my self today trying to tighten my sport band while I was running on the treadmill because it wasn’t picking up any heart rate.

Then I realized a couple minutes later that taking off the watch during a workout pauses the workout and doesn’t automatically restart it when you unlock it. Doh.

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

Just got a series 4, and I enjoy it for activity tracking - but what Watch faces are you guys using? I don’t like most of them and am struggling to find a configuration of the infograph that I’m satisfied with..

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

smackfu posted:

Almost killed my self today trying to tighten my sport band while I was running on the treadmill because it wasn’t picking up any heart rate.

Then I realized a couple minutes later that taking off the watch during a workout pauses the workout and doesn’t automatically restart it when you unlock it. Doh.

Stock workout app I assume? iSmoothRun keeps logging even if you take the watch off. But you probably don’t want to use that app for a treadmill run though.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

resident posted:

I’ve had luck pushing my watch up on my wrist so it’s tighter and in a meatier part of my wrist.

I’ll have to try that. I’ve had decent luck flipping the watch around so it’s on the under-side of my wrist as well. Which is pretty uncomfortable

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007
If you want the watch protected from gym weights and other similar things; search amazon for “Apple Watch bicep” or armband… a friend uses this and apparently gets even better heart rate measurements than at their wrist. There’s even one that looks like a very long Nike strap from Tefeca that looks like it won’t get too gross.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Tenacious J posted:

Just got a series 4, and I enjoy it for activity tracking - but what Watch faces are you guys using? I don’t like most of them and am struggling to find a configuration of the infograph that I’m satisfied with..

I have the Siri watch face because it’s a crapshoot whether or not raising my wrist will activate Siri. Like it does in most occasions, but then there are those times where it just doesn’t work even after trying a few times.

So I have the Siri watch face as my left most screen so that I can scroll onto it and tap the Siri complication. All because those geniuses over at Apple can’t seem to figure out how to put the Siri complication in any other watch face.

But my main driver is Infograph Modular. When I goto a meeting or do something “official” I have a second Infograph Modular face that has no complications. It looks pretty nice (just a black screen with the time).

For working out I like the new digital activity watchface, mostly cause it shows the seconds.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

stirlo posted:

If you want the watch protected from gym weights and other similar things; search amazon for “Apple Watch bicep” or armband… a friend uses this and apparently gets even better heart rate measurements than at their wrist. There’s even one that looks like a very long Nike strap from Tefeca that looks like it won’t get too gross.

I use a chest strap w/my PC for doing my HRM + kcals on Beat Saber streams along with Apple watch for workout tracking and they are very very close. After 2 hours there is only a 2-3% discrepancy in kcals and generally when I glance at the heart rate they are within 5% unless my heart rate is up at 180ish, then the watch goes over by a bit more.
Seriously for wrist hrm tracking accuracy the Apple Watch is amazing.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Tenacious J posted:

I use infograph for my regular wear, with carrot weather (showing condition and high/low temp), activity, date, and sunrise/sunset in the corners. The main face has the timer at 9 o’clock and the solar system (because it’s charming) at 6 and the others blank because the face can get really busy.

To the left, I have an infograph modular face with complications for activity, workout, podcast app (overcast) and music, with Carrot as the big complication. I swipe over to that face when I’m going for a walk.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
There are a ton of Couch to 5k apps available, what's the best one?

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

fourwood posted:

Following up on this, it’s shown up in the last day or two now.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Seems like Best Buy will have the 38mm S3 on sale for $229 for Black Friday.

I know the S4 is objectively better in every way, but is it $170 better?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

kitten smoothie posted:

No I don’t think it is but I have a 3.

$229 is a drat good price IMO.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

After seeing the screen on the S4 I could never consider one of the earlier generations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Local store finally had the space grey I wanted in. There was some initial hesitation of going from the 42mm to the 40mm, it looked a little too small at first but after a half day with it on my wrist I should have gone small a long time ago.

Only issue is the length of the sport band, it needs to be a couple centimeters longer to easily get around my hand. I think Apple made longer versions for each size in the past but I can't spot it on their website.. am I remembering wrong?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Are competitions broken or am I just not lucky? I beat a dude at work ( or should have) but neither of us got a badge for doing it and I sure didn’t get the badge for winning.

He started another one but drat I’m going on a trip this week and he might actually beat me.

Ok they are broken a friend said she got the notification that I won.

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Nov 18, 2018

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
For me the notification for winning a competition didn't come in for like 2 days.

Then they just appeared in my awards section.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeast posted:

For me the notification for winning a competition didn't come in for like 2 days.

Then they just appeared in my awards section.

Yeah looks like that might be what’s gonna happen. I finally got the Veterans Day one too I noticed.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I was on vacation so I left my S3 off and at home. Turned it back on and now it’s recording exercise and standing, but the Movement hasn’t budged at all. Anybody else seen this before?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

When is the update to enable the EKG supposed to be out? It’s weird the main feature of the series 4 isn’t working yet.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

SeANMcBAY posted:

When is the update to enable the EKG supposed to be out? It’s weird the main feature of the series 4 isn’t working yet.

No clue. It's not even in the current beta.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've been using the 'Solar' watch face for a few days and the bottom complication keeps disappearing.

Can't find a pattern to it, but if I go into face customization and re-select the complication I want there it comes back for a while.

:iiam:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

xzzy posted:

I've been using the 'Solar' watch face for a few days and the bottom complication keeps disappearing.

Can't find a pattern to it, but if I go into face customization and re-select the complication I want there it comes back for a while.

:iiam:

Yeah its done that since I think 5.1 for me. Sometimes it loses the top one where I have the date too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

kitten smoothie posted:

It's going to be $200 at Target. Is the S4 twice as good? Need to decide too, but probably not.