Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
https://twitter.com/TomJawetz/status/1062685253024792576

:byewhore:

https://twitter.com/williamjordann/status/1062510142124638208

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Nov 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Honestly if the net result is that republicans waste more money on a candidate that's gonna lose, then fundraise away.

I'm kidding, it's garbage and undermines trust in the democratic system

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Blorange posted:

That's already calculated. It turns out that Mississippi clocks in right around Poland at .866, and has the lowest HDI of any state.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_and_territories_by_Human_Development_Index
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_Human_Development_Index

Naw I've checked that out before, they explicitly say on their site somewhere that the American states HDI isn't using the same system as the international HDI, and thus you can't compare them.

silence_kit posted:

It has a Human Development Index score which is pretty close to Italy, which is a country American liberals do not turn their noses up to, often wish America was more like, and often spend vast sums of money to go to and visit.

So in other words this butthurt guy from Mississippi pretending his godawful nightmare state is comparable to Italy is going to very heartbroken.

Grape fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Nov 14, 2018

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

LOL "yeah we'll call it HDI like the well known metric but we'll calculate it differently so we can get high scores, easy peasy"

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

According to their racial data, the average black person in a bunch of Northeastern states has a better quality of life than the average white person in a bunch of Mississippi river adjacent states.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I'm kidding, it's garbage and undermines trust in the democratic system

as if that wasnt completely broken in 2016, or 2000, or uh im sure there's plenty of elections before it where the majority candidate lost

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
I spent six months working in the Mississippi Delta. It is barely America as you know it. The water out of tap was beige, the racism rampant, the wages horrifically low, and the hope set to the lowest of ebbs. The most important thing I did was leave.

It is not comparable to Poland. I'm not sure it's comparable to El Salvador. And I say that to say El Salvador is far better than you think it is, and Mississippi far, far worse.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Your Boy Fancy posted:

I spent six months working in the Mississippi Delta. It is barely America as you know it. The water out of tap was beige, the racism rampant, the wages horrifically low, and the hope set to the lowest of ebbs. The most important thing I did was leave.

It is not comparable to Poland. I'm not sure it's comparable to El Salvador. And I say that to say El Salvador is far better than you think it is, and Mississippi far, far worse.

Just to make it extra dystopian, isn't it also dotted with luxurious plantation manors?

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Grape posted:

Naw I've checked that out before, they explicitly say on their site somewhere that the American states HDI isn't using the same system as the international HDI, and thus you can't compare them.

Can you show me where? 'American HDI' seems to have a totally different range of values, so if you tried to compare HDI with 'American HDI' the numbers would be very different. E.g. Mississippi has an 'American HDI' of 3.8, but also has an HDI of 0.866.

Grape posted:

So in other words this butthurt guy from Mississippi pretending his godawful nightmare state is comparable to Italy is going to very heartbroken.

I'm not from Mississippi. I just find it amusing that according to this figure of merit, a place that many American Liberals desperately wish that America was more like has almost the same rating as Mississippi, a place that American Liberals can't talk about without sneering. I'm also pretty annoyed by your classism.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

silence_kit posted:

Can you show me where? 'American HDI' seems to have a totally different range of values, so if you tried to compare HDI with 'American HDI' the numbers would be very different. E.g. Mississippi has an 'American HDI' of 3.8, but also has an HDI of 0.866.

I'm not from Mississippi. I just find it amusing that according to this figure of merit, a place that many American Liberals desperately wish that America was more like has almost the same rating as Mississippi, a place that American Liberals can't talk about without sneering. I'm also pretty annoyed by your classism.

I'm pretty sure no American liberal is saying we should be more like Poland, specifically.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

silence_kit posted:

I guess the normie HDI did a thing to, I've seen them do it for other countries. I'd still hesitate to compare the data without knowing how things were measured.
The idea that Mississippi is on the level of Cyprus is extremely questionable imo (unless the Cyprus data is counting the north part of the island too).

quote:

I don't think I've ever heard "American liberals" fantasize about being like Italy development wise, nor would I think they would want that. So I have no idea what you're talking about.
Also I love when the occasional Euro thinks it's classism to marvel at how bad Red States gently caress themselves via GOP.
Like you guys don't do the same thing with PiS Poland and the like.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Grape posted:

I don't think I've ever heard "American liberals" fantasize about being like Italy development wise, nor would I think they would want that. So I have no idea what you're talking about.

A lot of American High Culture is just aping Europe and desperately wanting to be like Europe.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

There's a pretty big difference between going to an Italian opera and wanting Sicily's level of development in your country

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Pakled posted:

I'm pretty sure no American liberal is saying we should be more like Poland, specifically.

Especially Poland now since they seem to have forgotten how bad Nazis are

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

silence_kit posted:

A lot of American High Culture is just aping Europe and desperately wanting to be like Europe.

Americans largely associate Italy with guys in white beaters and gold chains yelling at each-other while wildly gesturing.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

silence_kit posted:

Cool, so what you said is even dumber than people thought it was.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Grape posted:

Americans largely associate Italy with guys in white beaters and gold chains yelling at each-other while wildly gesturing.

To be fair, so do Italians.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Grape posted:

I guess the normie HDI did a thing to, I've seen them do it for other countries. I'd still hesitate to compare the data without knowing how things were measured.
The idea that Mississippi is on the level of Cyprus is extremely questionable imo (unless the Cyprus data is counting the north part of the island too).

It does count all of Cyprus as one state.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I down-graded... from CT to France.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/aldotcom/status/1062820264105385984

He will almost certainly lose which is too bad. He's been a better senator than he has any right to be from that state.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

mcmagic posted:

He will almost certainly lose which is too bad. He's been a better senator than he has any right to be from that state.

He has a much higher chance of getting re-elected than he had of getting elected.

https://twitter.com/davidbailey0708/status/1063033247339294720

It's been over a year and there are still people who will go to bat for a pedophile who lost.

Ague Proof fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Nov 15, 2018

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If there's another D+8-9 year he can force the Republican opponent to spend more money on his campaign and filter less to down-ticket races but yeah unless he's up against another pedophile (always possible) he's toast

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

If there's another D+8-9 year he can force the Republican opponent to spend more money on his campaign and filter less to down-ticket races but yeah unless he's up against another pedophile (always possible) he's toast

the dream scenario is basically that Sessions tries to get his seat back, and Moore runs against him

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mcmagic posted:

I wouldn't say "almost certainly", as there's still a certain pedophile who might try to run again.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

karthun posted:

It does count all of Cyprus as one state.

I was under the impression that they would survey the de facto territory of the Republic of Cyprus, similar to how I'm almost 100% sure they don't include Taiwan in the PROC data.
Though it would explain the ranking since parts of the North are grody af.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Ague Proof posted:

He has a much higher chance of getting re-elected than he had of getting elected.

https://twitter.com/davidbailey0708/status/1063033247339294720

It's been over a year and there are still people who will go to bat for a pedophile who lost.

Incumbency is a big advantage but it's not as big of an advantage as your opponent being a child molester.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Certainly Moore is gonna run again. Would he win another primary?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

https://twitter.com/jessieopie/status/1063179590640828417

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe
Yo I don't know if anybody else lives in southern Colorado but if anyone does and has good politics, I put in to organize a DSA chapter out of Pueblo (I don't want to have to go to the Springs for meetings and you shouldn't either) and you are invited to join me on this goon project.

Preemptive: yes, there are other people involved, this would only be moderately weird and goony.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Pakled posted:

Incumbency is a big advantage but it's not as big of an advantage as your opponent being a child molester.

And he still just barely won.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Roy Moore wouldn't win any primary against any sort of credible opponent. All Sessions or whoever would have to do is air ads saying "Moore lost, to a Democrat, in Alabama. He'll do it again if you let him"

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

cheetah7071 posted:

Roy Moore wouldn't win any primary against any sort of credible opponent. All Sessions or whoever would have to do is air ads saying "Moore lost, to a Democrat, in Alabama. He'll do it again if you let him"

Not if they feel the seat was robbed from them. They think he was falsely accused of some things, the rest is actually ok, and the media victimized him because they can't take responsibility.

Trump-backed Moore vs Alabama GOP backed Sessions for a Doug Jones plurality.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

I don't think so. Sessions is not popular with the chud crowd. They would just blame voter fraud or w/e for Moore's lost and happily vote for him in a primary again.

Jones keeping his seat because of Moore would be the twist 2020 needs.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Sessions is tainted by trump and also been smeared by him handily, Sessions cant really get support from Trump in an election without having attack ads writing themselves, at the same time lots of republicans hate his guts because he didn't do everything dear leader asked. Sessions going for his seat again has a high chance of him winning but it is way harder then other years and sucks effort from other states they desperately need that effort in. Moore running again would be amazing because even in a presidential election year he likely would lose Specifically if Jones has started to energize the the african american population of Alabama

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I assume Alabama has plenty of ambitious state-level republicans I've never heard of to run against Sessions and Moore.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Sessions is tainted by trump and also been smeared by him handily, Sessions cant really get support from Trump in an election without having attack ads writing themselves, at the same time lots of republicans hate his guts because he didn't do everything dear leader asked. Sessions going for his seat again has a high chance of him winning but it is way harder then other years and sucks effort from other states they desperately need that effort in. Moore running again would be amazing because even in a presidential election year he likely would lose Specifically if Jones has started to energize the the african american population of Alabama

yeah, sessions used to be popular in alabama but trump forced them to pick between sessions and trump and it turns out they like trump more

ain't no way in hell trump would be able to bite the bullet and support sessions instead of repeatedly attacking him

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/charlesbethea/status/1062771117121781761

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

ACAB, that's loving gross

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

I like how he's basically saying more voter suppression would have helped him win

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

I like how he's basically saying more voter suppression would have helped him win

wisconsin purged what, hundreds of thousands of inactive voters after 2016, and it still wasn't enough to save walker from finally getting turfed. it owns