Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Bring back strict homologation, IMO.

If you're not willing to put ridiculous gently caress-off Aero bits onto 2000 road cars, you don't deserve to win.

This goes for every race series. The CLK GTR and 911 GT1 still do it for me in the most ridiculous way after all these years, and that suggests there's something wrong with top tier racing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Powershift posted:

This goes for every race series. The CLK GTR and 911 GT1 still do it for me in the most ridiculous way after all these years, and that suggests there's something wrong with top tier racing.

Those never had 2,000 copies sold, more like 20 for the Parsh and 30 for the Benz.

Don’t even ask about the Nissan or Toyota (which had Schrodinger’s trunk!)

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
The thing that I love the most about the effort that Glickenhaus is doing for 2020 Hypercar is that they wanna make and sell street legal versions of the SCG007 they're building for it. gently caress yeah street P1

e: Mercedes should enter a modified (mostly moving/removing hybrid) One to se how long a 1.6T can run at Le Mans before exploding dramatically

MazeOfTzeentch fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Nov 9, 2018

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

The thing that I love the most about the effort that Glickenhaus is doing for 2020 Hypercar is that they wanna make and sell street legal versions of the SCG007 they're building for it. gently caress yeah street P1

e: Mercedes should enter a modified (mostly moving/removing hybrid) One to se how long a 1.6T can run at Le Mans before exploding dramatically pinwheeling into the trees with Mark Webber behind the wheel

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

orange juche posted:

I think if both Australia and America come together and think this out, they can come to a solution that is agreeable to everyone in the us and australian politics threads. Namely both countries sinking into the ocean forever.

If you got Australia and the US together arguing who should be sunk into the ocean, you'll find England comes up as a nice compromise.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Mark Webber is under contract with Porsche.

Whoops, Double Post.

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Nov 9, 2018

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Schlesische posted:

If you got Australia and the US together arguing who should be sunk into the ocean, you'll find England comes up as a nice compromise.

Nobody would even cry over the loss of Silverstone. I'd be a little sad about Brands Hatch though because it's a fun little track, but not like I would be over Mount Panorama or Sebring.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Schlesische posted:

Mark Webber is under contract with Porsche.

Whoops, Double Post.

Mark Webber doesn’t even have a race license any more and has repeatedly said he has absolutely no interest in racing anything.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

drgitlin posted:

Mark Webber doesn’t even have a race license any more and has repeatedly said he has absolutely no interest in racing anything.

His crash compilation on youtube would be loving terrifying.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Schlesische posted:

I think the teams making the Nissan haven't given up on using it, I think Nissan is stopping supporting them.

It's just the one team, but they're going to keep running them yes.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

That was a pretty good championship battle in Super GT.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
IMSA's running that 4-hour encore race at Sebring, and it's pretty good. I'd actually really like if they merged the prototype challenge and the-series-formerly-known-as-conti, this is pretty sweet.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

gret posted:

That was a pretty good championship battle in Super GT.

It’s a good season. Yamamoto won both Super GT and Super Formula.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

just gonna leave this here

https://jalopnik.com/jaguar-built-an-f-type-rally-car-1830379978

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Would be cooler if it was the supercharged V8 and they placed the extra lighting a little more tactfully, but still owns

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Was hoping a white knight would come save ESM/Nissan but its not looking good. They already offloaded their transporters and trackside equipment. Anyone that wants to run the Nissan's needs to eat a $1m fee off the top.

https://racer.com/2018/11/13/esm-reaches-crunch-time-in-efforts-to-race-in-2019/

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit
*takes gustavo yacaman line through runoff area and into thread* yo gently caress nissan

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

an oddly awful oud posted:

*takes gustavo yacaman line through runoff area and into thread* yo gently caress nissan

The fact that Nissan refuses to foot the bill for the manufacturer fee, and yet still wants a DPI is lol.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Completely random, but I thought it was amusing.

Met an older couple at Sebring last year who went just because the husband wanted to photograph it, and to cross it off his bucket list. Exchanged info at the race, had a couple meals, whatever. The wife texted me a couple times throughout summer with photos he took and whatnot.

She texted me today so excited with a picture of their order form for this year and being so excited to go again and meet back up and still thanking me for all the help I gave them.

Just a dumb little thing, but makes me happy and shows again that the crowd around racing is just different than other events. Just the fact of having 'friends' across the country that you only see at certain races, but you still keep in touch.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

iwentdoodie posted:

Completely random, but I thought it was amusing.

Met an older couple at Sebring last year who went just because the husband wanted to photograph it, and to cross it off his bucket list. Exchanged info at the race, had a couple meals, whatever. The wife texted me a couple times throughout summer with photos he took and whatnot.

She texted me today so excited with a picture of their order form for this year and being so excited to go again and meet back up and still thanking me for all the help I gave them.

Just a dumb little thing, but makes me happy and shows again that the crowd around racing is just different than other events. Just the fact of having 'friends' across the country that you only see at certain races, but you still keep in touch.

I still have a crowd of people who go to Petit Le Mans every year, and we don't do anything outside of the race together, but once a year around the October date for the race, we all collaborate on what we're bringing to make sure we don't leave anything out, and we all pool our stuff to make sure everything is taken care of. People in completely different walks of life and locations in the country all come together for endurance racing and that's a pretty cool in my book.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
Macau GP Thursday is livestreaming on motorsport.com

The bike GP practice had been on for less than 20 minutes and there's already been two red flags for crashes, the latest for a burning bike and motionless rider who plowed into a barrier at high speed. The commentator seems competely disintersted in what's going on.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

CactusWeasle posted:

Macau GP Thursday is livestreaming on motorsport.com

The bike GP practice had been on for less than 20 minutes and there's already been two red flags for crashes, the latest for a burning bike and motionless rider who plowed into a barrier at high speed. The commentator seems competely disintersted in what's going on.

Well that's rather mundane for Macau

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Well that's rather mundane for Macau

I should have said this was the first 20 minutes of the weekend

The biker was not moving by the way, and it looked really bad

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

The fact that they continue to run at Macau is amazing to me, because it's one of the most dangerous tracks on the FIA's schedule.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Nov 15, 2018

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

orange juche posted:

The fact that they continue to run at Macau is amazing to me, because it's one of the most dangerous tracks on the FIA's schedule.

It's basically like Monaco in that it's a "well we've always run it, haven't we?" kind of track.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Nobody cares what tracks are like as long as the checks clear, I guess.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I mean whether the FIA are sanctioning it or not, that race is gonna happen just because of the history of it.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Game time: How many cars are gonna get caught up in the inevitable GT pileup this year?

My guess is 5.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Game time: How many cars are gonna get caught up in the inevitable GT pileup this year?

My guess is 5.

Honestly you’re betting which position car is the front of the pile-up, so I’m willing to say third place punts second and the only car clear through is the leader.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Cygni posted:

Nobody cares what tracks are like as long as the checks clear, I guess.

Monaco pays no sanctioning feel so you’re wrong.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

harperdc posted:

Honestly you’re betting which position car is the front of the pile-up, so I’m willing to say third place punts second and the only car clear through is the leader.

I'll say second tries to dive, catches all but the last 6 cars in the funnel, but the very last car still asspacks the one in front of it.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
Amazingly, the biker who had that horrible crash seems to be somewhat alive, if this guy on twitter is to be believed

https://twitter.com/VincentJBruins/status/1062997042493034496

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I bet IMSA signing with NBC Sports will mean no more channel jumping and bullshit apps for the big races, cool! Oh... oh wait nevermind. Completely nevermind.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Wow, laguna seca only gets an hour of TV coverage, jeez. All the other sprint rounds get full coverage, and it's the enduros that end up channel hopping.

e: *and* the glen, lime rock and elkhart are tape delayed broadcasts, christ.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

New broadcast partner, same :filez:

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
IMSA and sportscar racing has always been third on the totem pole in scheduling racing coverage, getting live events on broadcast TV, and keeping whole events on one channel. Not much you can do with that last part when you have endurance races that double park against other non-racing events on Saturdays. In this case, IMSA is also getting a crowded together with Indycar and NASCAR. But that's not a bad thing at all, for all of them. If your IMSA race is being interrupted by Indycar qualifying, are you really going to stop watching the IMSA race once Indycar qualifying ends and hands it back to the IMSA race?

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Cygni posted:

I bet IMSA signing with NBC Sports will mean no more channel jumping and bullshit apps for the big races, cool! Oh... oh wait nevermind. Completely nevermind.

you loving kidding me with this poo poo

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Hold your complaints until they make you pay $50 to watch it on NBC Sports Gold

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The Kimoa Kid posted:

Hold your complaints until they make you pay $50 to watch it on NBC Sports Gold

You have to have an NBC Sports Network subscription to watch the stuff on the app, which to me is worse because it means you are paying monthly for cable or a premium streaming platform like Sling. If they let me pay $50 a year flat for IMSA (or IndyCar), I would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Cygni posted:

You have to have an NBC Sports Network subscription to watch the stuff on the app, which to me is worse because it means you are paying monthly for cable or a premium streaming platform like Sling. If they let me pay $50 a year flat for IMSA (or IndyCar), I would.

Unfortunately that's not how they do it. With the Premier League you have some stuff on NBCSN, for which you need cable, and some stuff on Gold, which is $50, and they don't overlap. To get all the content you have to pay for both. It's awful.