Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME
So at what point does Chinese mining become unprofitable? Because then the whole thing is hosed, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

Murderion posted:

So at what point does Chinese mining become unprofitable? Because then the whole thing is hosed, right?

Not necessarily. They can adjust difficulty to bring required energy waste down but it takes time so, yeah it could possibly spiral out of control, we might see the start of it right now especially since some of the big pools are now switching to other coins and need to sell through BTC which puts even more pressure on the price.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
It's less about profitability than it is about turning yuan into dollars. So the question is how much demand there is for that as the price falls and the haircut the miners take on the exchange grows.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Oldstench posted:

ghostty - please tell us why this is a good thing

soon btc will be worth $10 and then it will go to $250000 because 7.5 billion people will buy all the btc at $10

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I check bitcoin price about once a day to see if it's crashed yet and I got really excited when I saw this:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Aw man, I missed the sub 5500. Looks like it got down to 5324. Mmmmm, so sexy.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Please hit 4999 so I can come tonight

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I'm savoring this number go down

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Just a heads up, the price is going down because everyone is dumping their tethers into bcash diamond gold. that's the horse to put your tethers on.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
This thing will probably bounce back to above 6k and then shoot up to 8k in 12 hours.

Buy baby Buy.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

BITCOIN IS CRASHING SELL SELL SELL

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

BITCOIN IS CRASHING SELL SELL SELL

crashing to NEW HEIGHTS!

buy buy BYE BYE

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
This is good for Bitcoin Cash.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Sashimi posted:

This is good for Bitcoin Cash.

which one?

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Powershift posted:

which one?

Bitcoin Crash

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
This is just people converting their bitcoin to fiat to buy cheap TVs on black Friday, nothing to be concerned about.

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

Gotta love how Bitcoin does sweet gently caress all for an entire month, then in the span of just 2 hours:

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Tether is down to 95c and there is growing concern about liquidity for Bitfinex the people backing Tether. :lol: this is gonna get worse before it gets better.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

By worse you mean funnier right?

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

https://athcoinindex.com/

EVERY crypto is down 70-90% from its all time high

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

VitalSigns posted:

Dumb question: why would miners want to stop other miners from switching to BCH?

Wouldn't that be a good thing for anyone who didn't switch, who would have a greater chance of getting the block reward?

It would be, up until there were a small enough number of those big miners that people got worried about one player having more than 50% of the hash power. That throws the whole currency into risk, because instead of being "decentralized autonomous crypto-currency" it's suddenly "the bank of some chinese guy named Ding". You can still buy and sell coins, but Ding calls the shots. Ding can reverse your transactions or take your money. Ding's Bitcoins have a lot more risks than old Bitcoins, which means less value.

The Chinese guys don't actually want to be Ding, because what they really want US dollars or similar. If bitcoin and BCH reverse positions, there's a huge penalty to being the last to jump ship.

naem
May 29, 2011

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Bitcoiners having a protocol fight and billions are lost in a few hours lol

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Powershift posted:

Just a heads up, the price is going down because everyone is dumping their tethers into bcash diamond gold. that's the horse to put your tethers on.

This sounds like it's made up and it also seems equally plausible.

hailthefish posted:

By worse you mean funnier right?

Yes.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Toys For rear end Bum posted:

Gotta love how Bitcoin does sweet gently caress all for an entire month, then in the span of just 2 hours:

nice FUD doofus, that chart isn't zero-based. if you cropped out the right half & rescaled the y axis to fit it would look the same during the period when supposedly nothing was happening

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Pawn 17 posted:

No Bitcoin is constant, the US dollar just spiked in value, because fiat is hopelessly unstable and volatile.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
remember when bitcoin's "volatility" was its achilles heel? oohhhh but now that it's been (and remains) stable for a month somehow that's a problem

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Pawn 17 posted:

Well, on-paper billions anyway.

I'll sell you this ballpoint pen for one billion dollars, and at the same time you sell me that pad of post-it notes for one billion dollars, and then between us both we'll have two billion dollars in assets. I'll stop at the dollar store and pick up a bag of pens and then we'll have another ten billion dollars!

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Powered Descent posted:

Well, on-paper billions anyway.

I'll sell you this ballpoint pen for one billion dollars, and at the same time you sell me that pad of post-it notes for one billion dollars, and then between us both we'll have two billion dollars in assets. I'll stop at the dollar store and pick up a bag of pens and then we'll have another ten billion dollars!

Well yeah, it’s all funny money being sold to the greater fool. But there are still many investors dumping millions into the crypto industry and they are going to see that money disappear.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
bummed at the thought of someday having to dance for a bitcoin billionaire

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
Guess this is a good time to post this old Bizonacci video: results of the Crab-17 operation, Stage 2, are a stunning success:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y28Diszaoo4

Work-safe, but starts off _very_ loud.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Gazpacho posted:

nice FUD doofus, that chart isn't zero-based. if you cropped out the right half & rescaled the y axis to fit it would look the same during the period when supposedly nothing was happening

to the moon!

maxidious
Sep 25, 2007

Meh

Is this even in log scale, stop shilling!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Motronic posted:

This sounds like it's made up and it also seems equally plausible.

Yes.

You missed the boat, Bcash Diamond Gold Just forked into Bcash Diamond Gold Platinum and Bcash Diamond Gold Titanium.

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

Down we go again!

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Klyith posted:

It would be, up until there were a small enough number of those big miners that people got worried about one player having more than 50% of the hash power. That throws the whole currency into risk, because instead of being "decentralized autonomous crypto-currency" it's suddenly "the bank of some chinese guy named Ding". You can still buy and sell coins, but Ding calls the shots. Ding can reverse your transactions or take your money. Ding's Bitcoins have a lot more risks than old Bitcoins, which means less value.

The Chinese guys don't actually want to be Ding, because what they really want US dollars or similar. If bitcoin and BCH reverse positions, there's a huge penalty to being the last to jump ship.

If you have more than 50% of the hashing power, you can use it to mine your own private chain and scam exchanges that way by selling and then reversing transactions. Your chain will always be the longest as soon as you publicize it. This was done to great effect with a Bitcoin fork some months back.

Pawn 17 posted:

There's no way the protocol fight has anything to do with the Bitcoin price. BCH is pretty much irrelevant.

Gazpacho posted:

remember when bitcoin's "volatility" was its achilles heel? oohhhh but now that it's been (and remains) stable for a month somehow that's a problem

Bitcoin was never stable. And it dropped 15% in the span of a day, that's not "remains stable" either.

Lambert fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Nov 15, 2018

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

this is like steam sale, guys!

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene
Is this the end?

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014
I had a weird moment when i searched "btc usd" on ddg and it came up with 5800 dollars. I thought for a second 1 bitcoin was worth 5800 US dollars and was seriously confused as to how that could be possible, how could the price rise so dramatically, how can one of these things possibly be worth thousands of real dollars, I figured I must have got the wrong bitcoin or something, then I remembered that bitcoin is the highest priced crypto and the last time I searched it two days ago it was 6300.

I think this means it has a long way to fall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
bitcoin can't drop below 6k, well known absolute freakshow of an idiot said so