Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

Please go to jail soon!

Edit: My dog for the dog tax.

Rauros fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Nov 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Your Taint posted:

Say whatever you want about abortions, but leave zombies alone! :argh:

Yeah, who cares about an attack on a fundamental and inalienable right of half of the population to dictate the terms of their own goddamn bodies, but how DARE he impugn our dumb make believe shows and games!

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Shifty Pony posted:

It fills me with no small amount of happiness that Zuck was clearly prepping for a presidential run and got that yanked away from him.

Same. Saves me the frustration of screaming at any of his supporters online or IRL.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

TMZ has really, really good sources in a few very specific places.

Turns out straight up bribing people for scoops works really well as long as you don't care about ethics.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

VH4Ever posted:

Same. Saves me the frustration of screaming at any of his supporters online or IRL.

Voting against his privacy-hypocrite rear end would have been nice though.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Mr Interweb posted:

Wait, this open conservative who writes for garbage right-wing sites like the Daily Caller is one of the founders for one of the biggest left-wing podcasts in the country?

Nah he's just a "friend of the pod" they have on once in a while to tell them how right they are to hate Trump.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Shifty Pony posted:

It fills me with no small amount of happiness that Zuck was clearly prepping for a presidential run and got that yanked away from him.

i'm just glad i don't have to see any more pictures of him pretending to give a poo poo about farmers in iowa or whatever

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

What does that green hat say?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
"Make our farmers great again" which is a pretty funny unintentional backhanded statement

Serfer
Mar 10, 2003

The piss tape is real

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Make Our Farmers Great Again

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

make our " " great again.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Make Our Farmers Great Again. In John Deere green.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

On a hot summer night

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Lycus posted:

I guess I don't understand what "domestic violence" fully entails. If it wasn't his wife, wouldn't it be "assault and battery"?

Not necessarily. The domestic relationship element of a DV law can include unmarried couples, other family members, or even roommates.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

yronic heroism posted:

Not necessarily. The domestic relationship element of a DV law can include unmarried couples, other family members, or even roommates.

If it is his girlfriend, then it would fit the bill easily.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

VH4Ever posted:

Make Our Farmers Great Again. In John Deere green.

Reminder John Deer tried to argue against farmers jailbreaking their equipment saying farmers would put The Illegal mp3s on them.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

I want to be this guy but at an AOC rally.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Fulchrum posted:

Not that it ever stopped someone from shacking up with another woman, but isn't he married with kids?

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Brony Car posted:

Not that it ever stopped someone from shacking up with another woman, but isn't he married with kids?

she released a statement saying she hasn't seen him in months so they're probably separated

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Fulchrum posted:

Yeah, obviously boyfriend/girlfriend is a classic domestic disturbance and not one he can :goonsay: :kav: “well actually, we were never married” around.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

So he is against Christianity?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

if your personal theology requires Nancy Pelosi to have been utterly oblivious to any of the actions of democratic leadership in order to function, then so be it. not gonna reason you out of a position you did not reason yourself into.

how much must it sting, though. that the people so credulous they fell for "I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today" were right to assume you were too stupid to ever even entertain the possibility that they'd sold you out.

Willa Rogers posted:

Except for that part about structuring the House "public option" as too expensive for lower-income + middle-class people--you know, the ones who needed it the most.

And the part about the final bill being passed through reconciliation, thus only needing 51 Senate votes.

Decades from now, succ Dems will still be claiming that Big Bad Lieberman killed the p.o.; that Obama truly wanted single-payer and only settled for the ACA out of "pragmatism"; and that the ACA was designed to be "the first step toward single-payer."

(I guess that last bit might turn out to be true, inasmuch as the ACA ended up being so lovely cost-wise and deductible-wise for those not on Medicaid that voters ultimately make single-payer a litmus test for voting moving forward.)

Well OK, let me expand on this then. The author asserts that the Senate could have passed a public option through reconciliation, and just asserts that as if it were a known fact.

It isn't. He is dead rear end wrong. We knew this at the time, but maybe you weren't following the debates back then or have forgotten: There is not the slightest chance in hell that the public option, any form of public option would have survived something called "the Byrd Rule". 60 votes were required, that is a simple fact (unless the Senate changes the rules, which they were not going to do because of decorum), and the guy who wrote that it could have passed reconciliation was just simply incorrect.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The Pod Save America guys suck though even if this guy isn't one of them.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Dapper_Swindler posted:

he is a never trumper, there for to the pod crew. a liberal in good standing.

Republicans posted:

Nah he's just a "friend of the pod" they have on once in a while to tell them how right they are to hate Trump.

Oh okay. Having a Republican to poo poo on other Republicans is acceptable.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Niwrad posted:

The Pod Save America guys suck though even if this guy isn't one of them.
I promise none of the Chapo boys or girls are secretly a GOP lobbyist

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

So, the history of this was:

1) The Senate tells Obama the public option won't fly because of Lieberman.

2) Obama quickly gives up and then goes "fine, I guess we can't have the public option, write a plan without one".

3) Pelosi and the House says "yeah whatever, we are passing a public option and we'll meet you in conference committee to discuss it."

4) The Senate passes what was supposed to be their starting negotiation in conference, but Kennedy dies and we shockingly lose the election for his seat.

5) Bad news Pelosi, we now cant pass ANYTHING else, and the house reluctantly accepts it.

Pelosi was blameless, I remember the debates at the time. WE KNEW the house wanted the public option, we KNEW they needed 60 votes because of the Byrd rule, and after the Senate went to 59, that was the ballgame.

Avenatti4Pres
Nov 15, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
I'm surprised that almost nobody in this thread remembers what exactly went on from 2008-2012. It's like you got smacked on the head and lost all your collective memories.

What's even more infuriating is seeing right-wing framing of history and events being brought up again and again and repeated to people who actually lived through those events. It's a complete and utter gaslighting of what went on.

Sometimes I wonder if this forum isn't just a complete hallucination, or if Lowtax just banned everyone who knows anything and they were replaced with a bunch of Russian propaganda bots instead.

When Obama was elected the public was exhausted after 8 long years of war and fear. It was a massive reapproach of the Republican way of doing things. Spontaneous celebration formed outside the White House of people who were so glad to finally see Bush go.

The Congress that followed was one of the most active in US History. They passed many pieces of legislation. The Democrats enjoyed a supermajority and it was one of the first times in history that one party had a supermajority.

But the Democrats really didn't expect to win as much as they did. They weren't 100% prepared with legislation and the Republicans decided to try and do everything in their power to obstruct the Democrats.

Mind you this was in the midst of the largest economic collapse the nation had ever seen. The Democrat party passed a variety of legislation and the biggest and most important piece was healthcare. Everyone wanted healthcare reform in this nation. By the time the bill passed most people did not. Fox News, Republicans and the media carried water for attacks against the legislation and a very large campaign was waged against it that was very successful.

Ted Kennedy fell ill and died very soon after the Senate was convened. He was the one that originally was going to head the development of the healthcare legislation. As a result there was really not a individual who took to the forefront of fighting for it in the senate.

Ted Kennedy ended up dying, and his replacement was Scott Brown who ended 60 years of control of that seat by a Democrat and broke the filibuster proof supermajority the Democrats had in the senate.

Beyond not having a supermajority the Democrats were not a united caucus. The blue dogs lead by Blanche Lincoln, and including Mary Landrieu, Max Baucusm, and Joe Lieberman vehemently opposed a public option.

Blanche Lincoln went as far as to say she would personally filibuster the health reform bill if it was brought to the floor for a vote with the public option in it. She did this in September a mere 10 days after Ted Kennedy died.

The vast majority of the us public at the time (77%) supported the public option.

The votes to pass the bill with the public option were simply not there due to a few radical holdouts and without Kennedy alive there was no one left to convince these holdouts to vote for the bill as is.

Blanche Lincoln was primaried by the left and in a very long election (one which I voted in) Bill Halter who had received millions of dollars in support from progressives all over the nation lost to Blanche. Blanche went on to get her rear end handed to her in Arkansas as did the entire Democratic coalition. A while later the president of the Arkansas Democrats was shot and the party doesn't even run opposition in the state anymore. Blanche was doomed in Arkansas no matter what she did, and she like Landrieu, who also lost decided to sell the nation out for the feelings of her idiotic constituents.

To say this somehow fell on Obama is loving bullshit. Presidents don't write bills. The Senate does. The President is not a loving dictator that can wave a magic wand and magically add single payer or the public option to whichever bill the Senate decides to pass.

The death of the public option lies on Blanche Lincolns, Mary Landrieu, Max Baucus, and Joe Lieberman heads. Obama NEVER had any sway with these people because they always initially supported Hillary during the primaries.

It's like none of you actually know the history behind the ACA at all. Or think it was really put together as some kind of landmark perfect bill. The implementation of the bill was a complete shitshow and Democrats hit every branch on the ugly tree putting the drat thing together, losing special elections they should not have lost, and facing historic opposition and public opinion sways that have not happened before in recent history. The bill was far from perfect when it was implemented and it showed from the minute it was implemented.

Stop trying to attack the concepts behind the actual bill itself; with the implementation, which was a total shitshow, and featured the greatest failing any party has delivered a massively popular president in US History.

And people complaining about Manchin need to know he's 10 times better than Blanche loving Lincoln.

Avenatti4Pres fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Nov 15, 2018

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

how much must it sting, though. that the people so credulous they fell for "I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today" were right to assume you were too stupid to ever even entertain the possibility that they'd sold you out.

This was a couple hours ago so he probably won't come back, but I just love how he smugly did his victory lap, as if the article by a self-described "activist" was written by the Senate Parliamentarian.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

yti,[

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

PhazonLink posted:

Reminder John Deer tried to argue against farmers jailbreaking their equipment saying farmers would put The Illegal mp3s on them.

I keep feeling conflicted about this.

On the one hand gently caress John Deere and their greed. On the other hand I know from experience that these tractors are ungodly dangerous, that the owners usually bypass the "annoying nanny state" safety interlocks before anything else, and that it is usually some underpaid hourly employee or the environment that ends up taking it on the chin (or ripped out of the shoulder socket) when an owner's "totally fine and I didn't have to buy that part they said I needed" hack job repair inevitability fails.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Since this is clearly a Leon Trotsky rereg post everything within might be a complete lie or interpreted in a misleading way so into the garbage it goes! gently caress you!

Avenatti4Pres
Nov 15, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Lemming posted:

Since this is clearly a Leon Trotsky rereg post everything within might be a complete lie or interpreted in a misleading way so into the garbage it goes! gently caress you!

How can someone possibly be this proud of being this ignorant of actual world events?

I understand how revisionism happens now.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Rigel posted:

This was a couple hours ago so he probably won't come back, but I just love how he smugly did his victory lap, as if the article by a self-described "activist" was written by the Senate Parliamentarian.

Remember, they're not just wrong OR haughty. They're awful enough to be both at the same time.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Avenatti4Pres posted:

How can someone possibly be this proud of being this ignorant of actual world events?

I understand how revisionism happens now.

If you posted in good faith all the time and didn't randomly lie through your teeth, thus making it impossible to take any given thing you say as being true, I'm sure you'd have a lot to contribute. You clearly know a lot but you've filled it with so much poison if people just trusted what you said they'd have a completely hosed up idea of what's actually going on.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Rigel posted:

An NYTimes article referenced mentions "Several hospital lobbyists involved in the White House deals said it was understood as a condition of their support that the final legislation would not include a government-run health plan paying Medicare rates — generally 80 percent of private sector rates — or controlled by the secretary of health and human services."

Like, yeah, there isn't literally a recording conclusively proving this stuff happened, but it's pretty dang obvious it did. I don't really get why you'd blindly assume that Obama wouldn't do this. This is the same guy who appointed Rahm loving Emanuel his chief of staff; pretty soon after his election it should have been very obvious that he wasn't some champion of progressive causes.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Mr Interweb posted:

Wait, this open conservative who writes for garbage right-wing sites like the Daily Caller is one of the founders for one of the biggest left-wing podcasts in the country?

Gotta grift both sides

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Shifty Pony posted:

I keep feeling conflicted about this.

On the one hand gently caress John Deere and their greed. On the other hand I know from experience that these tractors are ungodly dangerous, that the owners usually bypass the "annoying nanny state" safety interlocks before anything else, and that it is usually some underpaid hourly employee or the environment that ends up taking it on the chin (or ripped out of the shoulder socket) when an owner's "totally fine and I didn't have to buy that part they said I needed" hack job repair inevitability fails.

Yeah, but for the most part John Deer was just DRM'ing basic parts and modules.

John Deer is garbage and argued against being able to repair your tractor yourself.

And most of these tractors are usually operated by the farmer himself.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

FuturePastNow posted:

Gotta grift both sides

Way to read the thread. He’s an occasional guest who’s role is to poo poo on republicans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, but for the most part John Deer was just DRM'ing basic parts and modules.

John Deer is garbage and argued against being able to repair your tractor yourself.

And most of these tractors are usually operated by the farmer himself.

Right to repair really needs to be enshrined into law.

https://repair.org/stand-up/