Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
I will never not be salty about Wukong. The character from the story has like every power in the history of forever. You could do SO many things with him. Make his 1 his laser eyes beams, let him use his fur clones, change his passive to something that alters his roll and lets it knock enemies around (fucker could somersault like 10k miles a second), or use the fact that his staff is 17,550 lbs (7,960 kg) and give him Excalibur's swing speed boost on heavy weapons, let him ride around on his cloud with his staff out and be the most mobile melee ever, anything!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

wid posted:

That still doesn't invalidate that they're not necessary for any content since endgame viable weapons exist. It comes down to preference and cosmetics.

You don't even need maxed mods or primed mods or any other warframe besides the starting excalibur/umbra to do endgame content so this is not a convincing argument. You're literally missing out on the game content because certain weapons are too weak to be used. I'd say variety is the only thing keeping this game moving forward. And this game is not like Destiny, where all the guns are pew pew guns with +0.05% to fire rate compared to another worse pew pew gun of the same category. It's not just cosmetics, each weapon in warframe can introduce drastically new and different gameplay elements. And rivens can be varied enough to alter these gameplay elements even further. For example, I got a knell riven that has so much +magazine capacity that it has two shots, which I feel increase the chance of scoring a headshot by more than 100%. And modded for reload it's perfectly usable even when not hitting headshots.

I think some people look at rivens the wrong way. They're not simply a tryhard minmaxer luxury item. Or something to give an extra bump to "Meta" weapons like the dumb overpriced lanka and arca plasmor rivens. I see them as another incentive to explore the game's arsenal besides the MR system. Most of my favorite weapons in this game became my favorites because I rolled a riven for them with decent status that would complement the weapon and I decided to give them a chance because of the riven. I built the Knell, Scourge, Orvius, Kulstar because I rolled a nice riven and fell in love with them. Now, there were other weapons like the synapse and flux rifle that were still boring as hell even with a riven. And some others that were too weak and beyond saving.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Mimesweeper posted:

:stare:

my friend i think you might be playing Ash wrong

he's no press one button and evaporate the map

This is why Ash is bad now. He's bad for the same reason Ember is bad. He's a one trick pony and then DE took the trick away so now all you're left with is a worse Loki. The amount of time it takes to mark the targets to activate 4 you could just sweep your weapon across the screen or your teammates have already slaughtered them. Ash's best days are behind him unless DE revisits him and unfucks his 4.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
if you say so, i love the new bladestorm and Ash is a fun time. but to each their own

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Ash also had the ability to strip all armor for almost no energy cost, which is pretty useful.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

And Tyler Too! posted:

This is why Ash is bad now. He's bad for the same reason Ember is bad. He's a one trick pony and then DE took the trick away so now all you're left with is a worse Loki. The amount of time it takes to mark the targets to activate 4 you could just sweep your weapon across the screen or your teammates have already slaughtered them. Ash's best days are behind him unless DE revisits him and unfucks his 4.

Agreed. His 4 is pretty useless. It's cool, and I love how it synergizes with his 2 and 3, but I still almost never use it. It's just not what Ash is good at, and takes too long to set up. Ash's whole deal isn't really to be a 'kill everyone' frame - he's specifically good at killing single enemies quickly, so the fact that his 4 kind of sucks doesn't bug me too much - I can use it on the very rare situations where I want to, but just as often I *poof* and just run past enemies. If I need a frame that can wipe rooms, I'll bring something else. When I need to be sneaky and occasionally kill a few strong dudes (ie eximus targets, or fulfill takedown specific riven unveilings) I bring ash. He's much more situational than a Saryn or Mesa, but he's very, very good at assasinations/stealth gameplay.

I think just dismissing his 4 entirely might be the wrong approach - It's still just a worse version of...literally ANY other CC ability, but it could be tweaked to something that works better with what players prefer to use him for, which is individual takedowns and stealth.

Instead of the current 'activate, target, activate again, wait for results' way it works, it should work like this - Players build up a kill count for each takedown they perform (double for stealth takedowns), which is displayed over their '4' ability icon. Instead of summoning 2 clones that work their way through the queue, when you press 4, summon as many shadow clones as you have counters that each seek out and perform a takedown on a nearby enemy. That way, players are encouraged to use Ash's 3 more often, and they're given a quickly-activated CC ability that's still fun to use, still functions identically to how it works now, but is faster and more useful to activate as an 'oh poo poo, that's a lot of dudes' option.

Jack Trades posted:

Err...correct me if I'm wrong, because I don't play Ash, but doesn't he instant kill everyone as long as you have a Covert Lethality dagger equipped?

He'll insta-kill anything if you have the lethal teleport augment, otherwise his 3 just leaves them vulnerable to finishers, so requires an extra 'e' tap to kill. I don't think Covert Lethality applies to his shadow clones, though.

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Nov 15, 2018

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Solution: revamp Wukong to Goku :ssj:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Err...correct me if I'm wrong, because I don't play Ash, but doesn't he instant kill everyone as long as you have a Covert Lethality dagger equipped?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the more i read about what frames people think are useless the more i realize that i don't think people understand what useless means

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Johnny Joestar posted:

the more i read about what frames people think are useless the more i realize that i don't think people understand what useless means

Warframe has grading on a ludicrous curve

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

You need the Fatal Teleport augment paired with a Covert Lethality dagger. Any class with that dagger and a blind/stun/knockdown can do the same though without giving up a mod slot. Inaros pocket sand, Excal blind, Valkyr scream, etc. One of the combos in Stinging Thorn can proc finisher damage, but I'm not 100% if that will trigger Covert Lethality.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

"useless" generally means "worse at everything than another frame by a significant margin".

And then you have chroma's 1 which converts energy in to particle effects and his 4 that converts energy into a gen 1 pokemon cry and also makes you have less armor.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Johnny Joestar posted:

yeah

it's especially toxic to do to new players

Ash is perfectly fine. There really are no "bad" frames right now, there are Maximum Warcrimes Frames and then other really good frames that commit warcrimes somewhat slower.

Tortolia posted:

Warframe has grading on a ludicrous curve

cant wait for them Saryn/Equinox nerfs

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
The difference between "Easy" "Normal" and "Hard" content is "Beat it by rolling your face on the keyboard", "Beat it by watching Netflix and playing with one hand" and "Actually look at the screen every once in a while". Power is determined by mods, and the game is balanced with the idea that you'll never actually find any of the really good mods or rivens.

As long as you find the frame fun it will always be endgame viable.

Now weapons on the other hand...

Flytrap fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Nov 15, 2018

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
The only frame that has actively felt crap to play for me was Nyx and they seem to be working on her anyway so hey.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Nyx is actively bad if she's on a team with frames that require lots of enemies coming right at them to build up power, Nidus, melee combo monsters, etc.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Nyx is good for shutting down huge swarms of enemies in sortie D and turning one unlucky mob into your personal bullet sponge.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Is Ignis Wraith endgame viable? Or does it need a solid complimentary secondary?

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Nyx's chaos is fun, until you realise you still need to kill all those stunned dudes. It feels like half a good AoE ability.

That being said, chain frying a room of stunned dudes with an Atomos is never not fun.

plaintiff
May 15, 2015

The Shortest Path posted:

Yeah the Trinity Prime is an excellent frame for blasting through the starchart, once you learn how her abilities work and get some basic mods from goons.

What does a good Trinity Prime mod loadout look like?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

do NOT jack off posted:

What does a good Trinity Prime mod loadout look like?

This basically got me through the entire star chart and there isn't anything on there someone can't hook you up with in the dojo. It's not remotely optimized but it is a workhorse build for basically zero "cost", mod-wise.

This is my day to day Trinity Prime build, and what I use for everything that isn't dolons or an energy reduction sortie.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I mean I think we could figure things out more clearly if "what is the endgame" was more agreed upon.

For me, its basically sorties and fashion/variety.

For some people, its level 300 hundred enemies you only see after spending hours in a single survival session.

For some people its arbitrations now.

Eidolon hunting?

From watching some streamers it feels like they tend to base a lot of their judgements on endurance modes against level 150+ enemies that very few people will ever do.

From looking at the PS4 achievement stats, which is where I play, only about 2% of players have even reached The Sacrifice. Only about 3% have done Nightmare missions. 9% have touched Void Fissues. Granted its a free to play title but still, for the content that new players or even the vast majority of the players see, a lot of judgements from content creators have almost no bearing. A lot of judgments in this game need to have an implied prefix of "for this specific purpose".

Some frames are just great at any type of content, like Rhino, some are literal warcrimes like Saryn who can press one button to kill everything on the map. Sometimes its fun for the power fantasy, sometimes its boring as hell because you aren't actually doing that much.

Warframe is a weird, beautiful game and difficult to really make sense of when talking about bests and worsts because poo poo is wild, yo.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Also I want to just say I was thinking yesterday how happy I am that Warframe exists. Just this weird little gem of (almost) pure co-op gameplay.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Dandywalken posted:

Is Ignis Wraith endgame viable? Or does it need a solid complimentary secondary?

Mod it for Crit+Viral+Hunter Munitions. Kill everything with your bleeding burning disease cannon.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
That's kind of the problem with most weapon and frame reviews. They review it off of content that only select streamers will ever see or care to see. Now I can see SOME value off of this, anything that can melt a 150 Bombard is going to destroy anything below it with ease, but it doesn't really give a good idea of how weapons perform in any of the content people will actually play. A weapon that falls off 4 hours into Mot Survival can still be a blast to use in Sedna.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

If you've been out on Fortuna and haven't turned any of this in, please do. hot pink dojo??? :getin:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i need to remember to do that. i easily have a couple hundred as it is

on a vaguely related note i'm still amazed at how loving good fortuna as a whole is and i can't wait for the 1.5 update

Khaba
Oct 29, 2011

Psion posted:

If you've been out on Fortuna and haven't turned any of this in, please do. hot pink dojo??? :getin:

I got a bunch of this and I can turn it in, but I've not done so before. Is the place in the dojo obvious, or?

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

Flytrap posted:

That's kind of the problem with most weapon and frame reviews. They review it off of content that only select streamers will ever see or care to see. Now I can see SOME value off of this, anything that can melt a 150 Bombard is going to destroy anything below it with ease, but it doesn't really give a good idea of how weapons perform in any of the content people will actually play. A weapon that falls off 4 hours into Mot Survival can still be a blast to use in Sedna.
it's about stress testing the weapons. like it technically doesn't matter how much it takes to break a phone if you never drop it, but people still want to know because it gives you a good idea of how durable something is.

weapons that do well at extremely high levels will also do well at really low levels like you mentioned, which means if you really like a gun you can guarantee that it won't be useless at certain points. there are a bunch of niche guns that I love to use, but wish their mechanics wouldn't be so drat fiddly or that they would scale up better so I don't have to dread bringing them into higher level content.

realistically you can use any frame for 99% of the content in the game, but some frames are still just awful from a usability standpoint. which is why even though I whine a lot about frames it's because i want them to actually use their whole drat kit rather than having only one ability be The One.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I really dug Vauban and his whole aesthetic and loved using Bastille but then I realized I could be Rhino and do the exact same things and never die.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Khaba posted:

I got a bunch of this and I can turn it in, but I've not done so before. Is the place in the dojo obvious, or?

There's a terminal in the back right corner of the tenno lab in the dojo.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Are there any times where a mission's default difficulty in this game is actually hard? Not counting survival/excavation where it just makes the mobs spawn at higher and higher levels, or hard because bugs or AI stop you from finishing the mission. I'm talking enemies that are super scary off the bat who you need to take cover for (or at least run and gun with health restoration like the new Doom).

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
I really like how well Fortuna holds up thematically, and how much of the reputation/gameplay grind feeds into one another, without becoming ridiculous.

The whole concept of debt-slavery was in danger of being undermined by the fact that most players walking around are demigods with bank accounts in the millions - I really like the fact that the main way of earning faction rep is literally just buying folks out of slavery, with credits that most of us don't really need anyway. There's a lot of MMOs with some downtrodden underdog faction who could be entirely bankrolled by the average income of a single player character, so it's nice that it's integrated so well. The fact that most of it is taken directly from Nef Anyo's pocket is just icing on the cake. I've spent nearly 2 mil so far just buying out every case that Ticker offers (really wish I'd spent more time grinding the index when the global booster was active).

The daily reputation limits are annoying, but understandable since there's plenty of players who'd forgo sleep for a day or two and just binge through all the content in one go, then have nothing left to do.

Khaba
Oct 29, 2011

Helter Skelter posted:

There's a terminal in the back right corner of the tenno lab in the dojo.

Yeah, I found it pretty easily. I didn't have as much as I expected though, only 250.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

I'm talking enemies that are super scary off the bat who you need to take cover for (or at least run and gun with health restoration like the new Doom).

Infested Juggernauts and Grineer Manics can ruin your day very quickly if you let them.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Nyx is literally loving invincible, like no other frame is. If you pair her with a naramon+zenurik focus, the mobility issues are completely negated. There's nothing more fun than going ham with self damage explosive weapons like the lenz and kulstar and just shoot them at your feet killing everything because it doesn't matter.

I love the proposed changes to her kit. They only mentioned a "math" change on her 4, but if it was coupled with a range boost and big, big numbers it could become a full map wipe every few minutes. That would encourage you to either not use assimilate or blow up every now and then.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Zero VGS posted:

Are there any times where a mission's default difficulty in this game is actually hard? Not counting survival/excavation where it just makes the mobs spawn at higher and higher levels, or hard because bugs or AI stop you from finishing the mission. I'm talking enemies that are super scary off the bat who you need to take cover for (or at least run and gun with health restoration like the new Doom).
Limited rookie perspective (freewheeling build about to hit phobos) but the only times i've gone down so far was solo-ing bosses for the first time without knowing their invuln gimmicks or nightmare missions that combine no-shields with toxic AoE enemies. Also some void fissures seem to spit out lvl 35+ enemies that can eat me up in seconds when i miss that they're there.

Then again i also just got my hands on some new weapons so having a 3 vs my max rank starters might skew things a bit.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Zero VGS posted:

High level Void missions, where enemies do like double damage for no reason, has given me trouble when I'm not taking a couple Serious things. And I guess if you're not modded decently, any sufficiently high level thing could cause some concern. But this game is very much on the "magic space ninja power fantasy" side of the challenge scale, so even if there's challenge early on it will evaporate as your mods get better.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Zero VGS posted:

Nox have a significant innate DR and hit bullet sponge levels of tankyness sooner than almost any other enemy in addition to leaving a toxic cloud behind when they die. Breaking their glass face shield makes them vulnerable to headshots but also makes them produce a toxic aura around themselves and makes them start charging around.

Honestly, especially for a newer player in any frame that doesn't have a built in means of health recovery, anything that can dish out toxic or slash damage is problematic since it effectively puts a timer on how long you can be in combat before you just die unless you manage to never get hit/always avoid the mutalist osprey fart clouds.

Ancient healers are also obnoxious.

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Limited rookie perspective (freewheeling build about to hit phobos) but the only times i've gone down so far was solo-ing bosses for the first time without knowing their invuln gimmicks or nightmare missions that combine no-shields with toxic AoE enemies. Also some void fissures seem to spit out lvl 35+ enemies that can eat me up in seconds when i miss that they're there.

Toxic and slash both bypass shields FYI. This goes for the player and for enemies.

Astroniomix fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Nov 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

Zero VGS posted:

Fortuna enemies at 4 stars of alert level are a nice challenge.