Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I'm reminded of the Witcher story where a dwarf merchant gets knocked out and replaced by a doppelganger. He hires Geralt to track it down and get his money back, until it T transpires that the doppelganger is some kind of investment genius who is now filthy rich and so he just starts introducing him as his distant cousin and no dwarves don't all look alike are you just racist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012

Section Z posted:

While I love the idea of bargain bin monster race circus?

In practice the fact they were brought into existence to gently caress with the Ranger's monster radar would be apparent pretty drat fast. More so if there's a sidequest of "To stop being inconvenient to you, break this curse" which would imply you'd never see these cool guys again once break the curse.

Then you run the risk of watching your players disappointed at such a great idea used for "Chaff". Or worse, Decide "Oh so THAT'S how it is? gently caress it, I start killing them until the actual monster I wanted to kill in the first place can be sense."

Though you could get the best of both worlds if it simply made it HARDER, rather than a blanket "I just don't want to deal with your class feature right now." Which means you get to use cool monster circus as much as you want, and the players will be more willing to put up with the side effects to hang out with Not Drizzt.

I didn't really mean to imply that it should be used as a blanket ability block. More like a complication that would need to be worked around so that identifying the tanner as a bodysnatcher wouldn't be completely trivial and they'd need to do some manual legwork to notice that he's acting suspicious. Presumably the monster radar wouldn't stop working, they'd just need to hatch a clever plan to filter the signal from the noise. Like positioning themselves between the tanner shop and the circus grounds so that it's obvious that there's one doppelganger signal that is in the opposite direction of all the others, or luring the tanner away from the city somehow so there's less noise around to confuse the monster radar.

The curse thing was just a half baked idea thrown in as a justification if one wanted to use the same complication more than once. And it could be used to the party's benefit too. If the curse hasn't been broken yet and the party ends up running into the circus in a new town, they'll know that there's something fishy going on if the curse drew them there, and that they should investigate. Or while working on breaking the curse, they could follow the circus around, using them as a longer ranged, but more inaccurate shenanigans radar.

You wouldn't have to have the circus drop out of the campaign after breaking the curse either. They could still be a useful contact to know, with lot of esoteric knowledge and talents that the party could make use of if they can convince them to help. And if nothing else you'd have a potential origin story ready if any of the players need replacement characters and want to play as one of the monster races.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

Beast Pussy posted:

Find a new group? But yeah OP, let people feel cool and strong, that'll make it more fun for everyone.

Eh, not really an option for this character. Keep in mind the first two and the last thing with Waterdeep are two separate DM's. I think in the latter case I needed to make my intention more clear, which I did. I'm definitely not against finding a challenge, but anyone that can go toe-to-toe with a barbarian packing a natural 22 STR I'd hope that fight would quickly get out of hand and end up outside of the fighting pit/basement/building hulk-style.

People are learning the "joys" of our open table style with these events though. With eight people interested in this game, there's generally gonna be two people left out no matter what. This DM does a good job of encouraging people to try and do stuff between sessions too, though.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Webguy20 posted:

I just stumbled across WonderDraft for overworld map making and it is pretty drat sweet for $20. Check out the reddit thread for examples of awesome maps. It took me about 2 hours to figure out how to use the program to make good looking maps. It is not as powerful as campaign cartographer or some other software, but it lets you generate a good looking map quickly, which is a huge boon for prepping sessions.

Inkarnate is also pretty good with a low skill curve. I haven't messed with it personally though.

For quick and dirty city generation - https://watabou.itch.io/medieval-fantasy-city-generator

For quick Town Stat generation - http://www.rdinn.com/calc_town.php

I find the last one SUPER useful for giving a rough idea of a towns makeup that I then customize for my story.

Wonderdraft is awesome, exactly what I needed thanks :)

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

clusterfuck posted:

Wonderdraft is awesome, exactly what I needed thanks :)

It's also virtually flawless with correct layering of trees and mountains, and that's already enough to make it the best map software out there.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
The absolutely lack of any kind of layer feature with Inkarnate is what makes it difficult to feel worth the money. As someone that uses photoshop on the daily for work, it just makes things take way too long.

To be fair my skillset does let me do a lot of stuff you see in these programs/websites myself. But this is my -hobby-, if I can be a bit lazy I will.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Oo Koo posted:

I didn't really mean to imply that it should be used as a blanket ability block. More like a complication that would need to be worked around so that identifying the tanner as a bodysnatcher wouldn't be completely trivial and they'd need to do some manual legwork to notice that he's acting suspicious. Presumably the monster radar wouldn't stop working, they'd just need to hatch a clever plan to filter the signal from the noise. Like positioning themselves between the tanner shop and the circus grounds so that it's obvious that there's one doppelganger signal that is in the opposite direction of all the others, or luring the tanner away from the city somehow so there's less noise around to confuse the monster radar.

The curse thing was just a half baked idea thrown in as a justification if one wanted to use the same complication more than once. And it could be used to the party's benefit too. If the curse hasn't been broken yet and the party ends up running into the circus in a new town, they'll know that there's something fishy going on if the curse drew them there, and that they should investigate. Or while working on breaking the curse, they could follow the circus around, using them as a longer ranged, but more inaccurate shenanigans radar.

You wouldn't have to have the circus drop out of the campaign after breaking the curse either. They could still be a useful contact to know, with lot of esoteric knowledge and talents that the party could make use of if they can convince them to help. And if nothing else you'd have a potential origin story ready if any of the players need replacement characters and want to play as one of the monster races.

I admit that over the years, my twisty straw of gaming logic worries more about "Cool idea!... Which I only thought of to mess with/make the player react a certain way" more than openly antagonistic GMs.

As much because so many cool ideas I've seen over the years have fallen flat because of it. So I'm always a bit leery of "Introduce cool thing!... Because it will force the PCs to-"

Like expecting the reason you have been tasked with playing bodyguard to a vampire in witness protection is "Clearly someone expects me to take out the witness myself, because they think my RUMOR disadvantage I hate all magic is fact". Then the GM starts yelling at you for 'Not roleplaying your disadvantage right', and then drops the plot like it never happened when you remind them it's RUMOR. Not the expected beep boop player hates X results.

A loving amazing idea, wasted because of "The GM only introduced this as a pretense to OOC intentions".

Your idea is a really cool idea. It's just that introducing it as a means to mess with a player basically flips a lot of very niche warning flags for me, even with your legitimate intentions more GMs would do well to have.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Nov 14, 2018

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I have a DM Shenanigans/ethics question. Asking in this thread because it's a bit 5e-specific. One of my players is particularly vicious and she's playing a revised ranger, with "monstrosities" as her favored enemy. She's been keeping victims' heads on her belt and just recently dropped them off to be shrunk, so that she might fit more on there. One of them is a doppelganger and I said that, as she dropped it off with the tanner, it was grinning when it hadn't been before. She was unnerved but still left it at the shop.

My original thought was that, when she comes back, the tanner will give her the heads but be overtly skeeved out and want her to leave at once, as the head took his face as he shrunk it, and indeed, the belt now includes a head that looks like him and no more doppelganger. In reality, that would be the doppelganger who has regenerated, killed the tanner, and is now (over-) acting in hopes she won't figure it out until it's too late. (He's established as a showman and got really into his previous role.)

My issue is - her favored enemy ability gives her the ability to detect monstrosities within 5 miles. (This seems...poorly thought out especially when the category is "misc" and covers everything from monstrous animals to intelligent beings, but I'm going with it and it's led to some cool stuff.) She's used it many times since getting that head. I'm fine with saying doppelgangers regenerate, and that it took awhile so she didn't detect it earlier, but I'm supposed to tell her that there's a doppelganger in town even when she's far underground in the caves below the city. Is there a way to fix this, without specifically breaking her ability but also without giving away what happened? Is it lame if I say doppelgangers aren't detected when they aren't in their natural form? It's bizarre to generalize from an ability themed around tracking monsters in the wilderness to one that acts as doppelganger radar inside a city, but that's magic for you. :shrug:

Just mention specifically that the tanner nervously fingers a necklace/medallion around his throat while staring creeped out at the shrunken skull.

The necklace is an amulet of proof against detection that the tannerr wore because he was really a _______ , which the PCs will eventually uncover when they come across _____ , tipping the hand if the nefarious tanner. When they come to confront the tanner, they think he is a _______ but he is really a doppelganger. Maybe you specifically mention the ranger gets creeped out and feels weird around the tanner to get her to use her ability right there in the shop so she gets put at ease (maybe not make it too over the top). It teaches her not to rely on her talent too much and that she should listen to her spider sense etc and maybe monsters begin to hear of her and those who can take precautions when it suits the DM's plot etc.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I'm reminded of the Witcher story where a dwarf merchant gets knocked out and replaced by a doppelganger. He hires Geralt to track it down and get his money back, until it T transpires that the doppelganger is some kind of investment genius who is now filthy rich and so he just starts introducing him as his distant cousin and no dwarves don't all look alike are you just racist?

It was a cool idea but it was obvious what he was doing too early so a lot of the story was jsut a formality where you knew what was happening. It was cool how in the end the head of the anti-monster church was another doppelganger though.

Also he was a halfling not a dwarf.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

A person replaced by a doppelganger except the doppelganger is basically a totally better person than the original so the party has the issue of bringing back the original rear end in a top hat or just let things be.

ReapersTouch
Nov 25, 2004

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

ChaseSP posted:

A person replaced by a doppelganger except the doppelganger is basically a totally better person than the original so the party has the issue of bringing back the original rear end in a top hat or just let things be.

I really like this idea. Doppleganger, having had its encounter with death, decides to be a better person and the town loves it.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

ReapersTouch posted:

I really like this idea. Doppleganger, having had its encounter with death, decides to be a better person and the town loves it.
Like the Tanner was really a vampire spawn, and the Doppleganger is secretly hunting even worse monsters that aren't the Ranger's favored enemies?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Our campaign is up to level 8. The group used to play 3.5.

5e is so, so much better. No more super druids or clerics, they rely on the fighters and the group works together a whole lot more. Good game.

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Amethyst posted:

5e is so, so much better. No more super druids or clerics, they rely on the fighters and the group works together a whole lot more. Good game.

See, that's exactly what I thought too, right after I made the switch. Then as you play a bit more, you realize that although the floor is higher and the ceiling is lower, the rules of the game still haven't fundamentally changed, and casters are still king. Clerics are no longer CoDzilla, but they're still pretty hypercompetent. Even with nerfs, Save or Lose effects are still Save or Lose, for example. If anything, martials lost the most, since they're no longer power attacking for obscene piles of damage.

Still it's hard to imagine going back, partly because the game is a lot smoother in a lot of ways, and partly because it's hard to find a group that would actually want to go through the work of playing through 3.5.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I can only imagine what modern D&D would look like if they had called the good one something other than "Basic" D&D.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Our casters don’t seem to have any hard save or suck spells yet. Maybe 4th level? Even then max level wizards only get a few high level slots/day though.

You’re very likely right. High level dnd always blows. Mid level seems excellent.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Amethyst posted:

:shobon:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Amethyst posted:

Our casters don’t seem to have any hard save or suck spells yet. Maybe 4th level? Even then max level wizards only get a few high level slots/day though.

You’re very likely right. High level dnd always blows. Mid level seems excellent.
I'm glad a friend of mine has stopped his unironic "But only so many spell slots! Swing all day long!" comments after closer reading of class features.

Because so many stick to their cliche guns even when you remind them "Wizards in 5th ed unlock INFINITY magic missile, infinity hold person. Or whatever you picked as your infinity 1st and 2nd level spell you select on rest" Doubling down with "Fighters can swing their sword FOUR times!" even though that kicks in at level 20, while access to "I feel like infinity charm person today" is at lv 18 :v:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Nov 15, 2018

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Amethyst posted:

The quick-and-dirty of save and sucks at that level would be Hold Person at 2, Hypnotic Pattern at 3, and Banishment and Polymorph at 4, all of which will completely shut down an affected target. Concentration puts some limits on how much you can do at once, but they're still as hard as Save or Lose effects go. At any rate, they all interact pretty favorably with the action economy by letting you trade one of your actions for a bunch of theirs.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Amethyst posted:

This is true of D&D in general.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Section Z posted:

I'm glad a friend of mine has stopped his unironic "But only so many spell slots! Swing all day long!" comments after closer reading of class features.

Because so many stick to their cliche guns even when you remind them "Wizards in 5th ed unlock INFINITY magic missile, infinity hold person. Or whatever you picked as your infinity 1st and 2nd level spell you select on rest" Doubling down with "Fighters can swing their sword FOUR times!" even though that kicks in at level 20, while access to "I feel like infinity charm person today" is at lv 18 :v:

Magic Missile is only (1d4+1) * 3 damage when cast from a 1st level slot though. Assuming you can't cast your mastered spell from a higher slot (which would be insane).

Pretty useless at high levels.

E: the rulebook says you can only cast mastered spells at their lowest level. So yeah. Not that powerful.

Amethyst fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Nov 15, 2018

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Amethyst posted:

Magic Missile is only (1d4+1) * 3 damage when cast from a 1st level slot though. Assuming you can't cast your mastered spell from a higher slot (which would be insane).

Pretty useless at high levels.
I had the feeling you'd go for "1st level magic missile only is useless!", because that seems to be the kneejerk reaction of the subject, compared to attempting "Everyone knows infinity charm person is useless as a 1st level slot!"

To say nothing of that waste of print that is the Shield spell. Who would want to cast THAT infinity times?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Section Z posted:

I had the feeling you'd go for "1st level magic missile only is useless!", because as everyone knows infinity charm person is oh so useless at 1st slot level. (And that waste of print that is the Shield spell, nobody would want to cast THAT infinity times).

You're the one who specifically said "Infinity magic missile", buddy.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Amethyst posted:

You're the one who specifically said "Infinity magic missile", buddy.

And ALSO Charm person in the post you quoted :v:

Which is why I get a laugh every time people play the "But it's ONLY 1st (and 2nd, you get one of those too )slot levels! Not that powerful!" card.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Section Z posted:

And ALSO Charm person in the quoted post :v:

Which is why I get a laugh every time people play the "But it's ONLY 1st (and 2nd, you get one of those too )slot levels! Not that powerful!" card.

Ok well you may not want to weaken your legitimate point by preceding it with an illegimate one.

Infinite charm person is obviously stupid, especially since it doesn't take concentration, for some stupid reason.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Even at level 1, it flies unerringly for hundreds of feet and almost nothing is immune to them. It's only lovely compared to other spells. It would be above the curve if it was a martial skill.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Even at level 1, it flies unerringly for hundreds of feet and almost nothing is immune to them. It's only lovely compared to other spells. It would be above the curve if it was a martial skill.

Nope. Range is 120 feet.

E: A longbow has a range of 150/600 feet and a fighter at that level can shoot it three times, for more damage. I don't see how that's above the curve.

Amethyst fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Nov 15, 2018

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Amethyst posted:

Nope. Range is 120 feet.

E: A longbow has a range of 150/600 feet and a fighter at that level can shoot it three times, for more damage. I don't see how that's above the curve.

Real talk, how often are you getting into fights that are >120 feet away?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

kingcom posted:

Real talk, how often are you getting into fights that are >120 feet away?

I dunno man. That poster said that it flies "hundreds of feet" and suggested that level 1 magic missile is competitive with fighter attacks at level 18. I took it seriously, found it interesting, and looked it up. Turns out they're wrong.

I don't want to go further down this edition wars rabbit hole and become a partisan here. I'm just discussing specifics.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Amethyst posted:

I dunno man. That poster said that it flies "hundreds of feet" and suggested that level 1 magic missile is competitive with fighter attacks at level 18. I took it seriously, found it interesting, and looked it up. Turns out they're wrong.

I don't want to go further down this edition wars rabbit hole and become a partisan here. I'm just discussing specifics.

What are you talking about lol, we are purely talking 5e here at the moment? And idk firing a magic missile that longer than field of almost any battle you're going to actually play in seems pretty fine. Guess you read that a bit literally but sure.

Magic missile pops you for 3d4+3 damage auto hit, a fighter bow 3 shot doing 3d8+15 (being generous and assuming you've gone for the max 20 dex), Plus you're rolling 1d20+11 to hit on each attack, meaning you're taking what, 40% change to miss on each of those for the enemies you're fighting around at point. That's a higher raw output for the fighter but doesn't really reflect how useful force damage is to ignore a lot of the non-magic resistances and immunity that the arrows face plus you're looking at all the nice effects you can trigger from 'being hit and taking damage', things like concentration checks, passing on extra saves for allies to break out of status effects, all sorts of fun stuff. I'm probably going to want magic missiles i can just dump out forever for free all the time over 3x bow shots.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Nov 15, 2018

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

kingcom posted:

What are you talking about lol, we are purely talking 5e here at the moment? And idk firing a magic missile that longer than field of almost any battle you're going to actually play in seems pretty fine. Guess you read that a bit literally but sure.

Magic missile pops you for 3d4+3 damage auto hit, a fighter bow 3 shot doing 3d8+15 (being generous and assuming you've gone for the max 20 dex), Plus you're rolling 1d20+11 to hit on each attack, meaning you're taking what, 40% change to miss on each of those for the enemies you're fighting around at point. That's a higher raw output for the fighter but doesn't really reflect how useful force damage is to ignore a lot of the non-magic resistances and immunity that the arrows face plus you're looking at all the nice effects you can trigger from 'being hit and taking damage', things like concentration checks, passing on extra saves for allies to break out of status effects, all sorts of fun stuff. I'm probably going to want magic missiles i can just dump out forever for free all the time over 3x bow shots.

Assuming 40% chance to miss then the DPR for the fighter is 16.2.

Compared to the DPR of the magic missile: 10.5

Seems like a pretty significant difference to me. I guess we cold argue in circles for a billion years about concentration and stuff but I'd go with the bow, myself.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Amethyst posted:

Assuming 40% chance to miss then the DPR for the fighter is 16.2.

Compared to the DPR of the magic missile: 10.5

Seems like a pretty significant difference to me. I guess we cold argue in circles for a billion years about concentration and stuff but I'd go with the bow, myself.

I mean real talk I would hope if you are an archer fighter you're taking sharpshooter to focus on it plus archery fighting style but im guessing given we are talking about a wizard using magic missile forever this is more of a context of 'other thing that character can do all day as a side thing'. I mean obviously you want a lot of different spells for your all day over magic missile, like the aforementioned charm person but if you really just want to cause raw numbers damage you're probably wanting to go scorching ray + evocation wizard for 3x 2d6+5 all day forever with Elf Accuracy + faire fire or something to just crit seek it forever but idk. Still seems like a bad deal to bother with damage as a whizzard and instead grab stuff like charm person or shield or suggestion as your thing you can just cast forever no worries.

Plus I would hope the fighter has gotten magic bows too or something otherwise half the time the bow does 0 damage or 1/2 damage at that level.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Nov 15, 2018

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Anyone who takes magic missile as a spell mastery pick is too stupid to be allowed access to the magic system. Their character sheet should be confiscated and replaced by one for a champion fighter.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Kaysette posted:

Anyone who takes magic missile as a spell mastery pick is too stupid to be allowed access to the magic system. Their character sheet should be confiscated and replaced by one for a champion fighter.

It's probably one of the most suboptimal choices you can take. And yet it's still OK. Compared to 3.5 where you can cripple your character hopelessly with bad picks.

Demonstrates how much better 5e is.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Amethyst posted:

It's probably one of the most suboptimal choices you can take. And yet it's still OK. Compared to 3.5 where you can cripple your character hopelessly with bad picks.

Demonstrates how much better 5e is.

Problem is thats very true for some classes but horrible for others. Warlocks can be colossally hosed if they dont pick the right options for example.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

kingcom posted:

if you really just want to cause raw numbers damage you're probably wanting to go scorching ray + evocation wizard for 3x 2d6+5 all day forever with Elf Accuracy + faire fire or something to just crit seek it forever but idk.

Where does the 3x come from? This is a genuine question. I'm still learning 5e.

E: oh wait I misread the spell description. it comes with 3 rays

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I didn't consider how Empowered Evocation would work with spells with multiple damage rolls. Seems extremely strong.

E: There is a player's handbook errata nerfing this:

quote:

Empowered Evocation (p. 117). The
damage bonus applies to one damage roll
of a spell, not multiple rolls

E2: Assuming the same 40% chance to hit and using the errata, the dpr for empowered evocation Scorching ray is 15.6 which is only juuuust behind the archer.

Amethyst fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Nov 15, 2018

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Amethyst posted:

I didn't consider how Empowered Evocation would work with spells with multiple damage rolls. Seems extremely strong.

Its alright at best, again at level 18 its a real low use of your ability.

It's extra confusing because one of the devs is a tool who tweets out rules 'clarification' which are just him changing rules and flip flopping on them but pretending its always like that so its hard to know if that even work on scorching ray to be honest.

So Scorching Ray could work like:

SR1 = 2d6+5, SR2 = 2d6, SR = 2d6

OR

SR1 = 2d6+5, SR2 = 2d6+5, SR = 2d6+5

Alternatively Magic Missile could get to apply this because it specifically says hits simultaneously is the spell then it gets to count that ability as applying to all rolls but Scorching Ray might not technically be striking at the same time.

So magic missile does either:

1d4+6, 1d4+1, 1d4+1

or

3d4+18

All of this is confusing and not clear depending on what ruling you have taken when so... yeah lol.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Nov 15, 2018

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Word of God is that you only roll damage once and use that for each missile/ray/whatever, so since that's only one roll being reused several times, the Empowered Evocation bonus is only being applied once. There's literally no indication whether to use the same damage for each missile or to reroll individually, which is 5e editing for you, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

lightrook posted:

Word of God is that you only roll damage once and use that for each missile/ray/whatever, so since that's only one roll being reused several times, the Empowered Evocation bonus is only being applied once. There's literally no indication whether to use the same damage for each missile or to reroll individually, which is 5e editing for you, I guess.

Yeah Crawford has said both at different points lol. Also hes extremely assanine and never posts a clear answer. Just look at this poo poo:

https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/557820938402947072

This is extra confusing because if you are making those multiple shots from one spell attacks against a target you are supposed to roll once and apply to all so you get poo poo like this:

https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/700146864948060160

Which makes it imply that all the bolts from the scorching ray should be done together as one roll because you need that to be the case for empowered spell :psyduck:

EDIT: Ruling that you only apply it to 1 ray hilariously fucks over the non-gimmick regular warlock who goes from having multiple 1d10+CHA eldrich blasts that keeps them on par damage wise to a martial to only getting it on the first eldrich blast and being trash damage wise so good job i guess.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Nov 15, 2018