Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Phlegmish posted:

Anarchism is just decentralized/voluntaristic communism you dolts, it's not xtreme libertarianism

No, see ancaps are the true anarchists. Because of free markets and...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i love how an-caps latched hard on the no government part of anarchism but decided the answer was to make corporations the defacto governing body

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I think any flavor of anarchism or hardcore libertarianism would, in practice, quickly become either robocop corporatist hellworld or fascism hellworld or local warlords hellworld.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

pangstrom posted:

I think any flavor of anarchism or hardcore libertarianism would, in practice, quickly become either robocop corporatist hellworld or fascism hellworld or local warlords hellworld.

There's always the best case of reinventing feudalism

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

ikanreed posted:

Warlords are kinda feudal lords but we’ve had less time to romanticize them.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

It's from a bonkers anthropology paper that tries to argue that warm climate = high degree of promiscuity = lots of nasal vowels in your languages (because according to the authors being sexually active means opening your mouth more, I poo poo you not)

This is the worst scatter plot I've ever seen:

Check out the wildly unequal distribution of languages (30 warm-climate languages vs only three cold-climate ones) they decided to look at, and even then all they managed to come up with was a basically random pattern :v:

The worst part? The paper was subjected to peer review and still got published in a highly distinguished journal, probably because the main author is a big name in cultural anthropology and apparently has reached the point where he can poo poo out whatever he wants to and it still gets published.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
What is the name of this paper?

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Platystemon posted:

What is the name of this paper?

Ember, C., & Ember, M. (2007). Climate, Econiche, and Sexuality: Influences on Sonority in Language. American Anthropologist, 109(1), new series, 180-185

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

Boiled Water posted:

Warlords are kinda feudal lords but we’ve had less time to romanticize them.

Na feudalism is more when warlords have so much land that they realise they need to subcontract parts of it other sub-warlords. Then they realise they need some sort of rules to stop those sub-warlords from just taking everything by force the way they did. Slapping a thin coat of legidimacy and stability onto a house built out of violent conquest and anarchy.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Brexit’s going well, then.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

pangstrom posted:

Ya probably but an-caps baked it into their philosophy

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

System Metternich posted:

It's from a bonkers anthropology paper that tries to argue that warm climate = high degree of promiscuity = lots of nasal vowels in your languages (because according to the authors being sexually active means opening your mouth more, I poo poo you not)

This is the worst scatter plot I've ever seen:

Check out the wildly unequal distribution of languages (30 warm-climate languages vs only three cold-climate ones) they decided to look at, and even then all they managed to come up with was a basically random pattern :v:

The worst part? The paper was subjected to peer review and still got published in a highly distinguished journal, probably because the main author is a big name in cultural anthropology and apparently has reached the point where he can poo poo out whatever he wants to and it still gets published.

I misread that as Sorority at first and wondered how the hell some frat guy got his paper published.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

ikanreed posted:

Like many people in the U.K. countryside I literally live under feudalism in Derbyshire, the Renishaw and chatsworth estates own all the land here and on numerous occasions they have simply told the govenment to gently caress off and they have done.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

TinTower posted:

Brexit’s going well, then.

Nice edit of a bitcoin price chart

... that’s what it is right? :ohdear:

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

System Metternich posted:

If the percentage of homeless people in Germany and the US is roughly equal, then why are they so much more visible in the latter?

Not sure where you've been in Germany, but there are very visible homeless people all over here in Frankfurt.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Apparently they don't understand what 'square feet' are

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

How..? What..?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Jesus that's the house-size version of those humous map that shows how "really" big texas is along with like 5 texas's fitting inside texas.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

Jesus that's the house-size version of those humous map that shows how "really" big texas is along with like 5 texas's fitting inside texas.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Don't mess with (don't mess with (don't mess with (don't mess with (don't mess with

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

They really did treat 500 square feet as 500 feet, squared. Jaysus.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Seeing the side-view of that house I'd almost think they'd use cubic feet/house volume or something but I don't think so.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Unreal_One posted:

Oh my god this is exactly what they did. Holy poo poo how is this real?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Unreal_One posted:

Wait what?

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

They did it like 2500 ft squared vs 500ft squared.

So 2500x2500 / 500x500 = 25 500sqft houses fit into a 2500sqft house. You know instead of the obvious 5.

Someone made this whole graphic and didn't stop and go "hey this doesn't sound right..." What is the source? It has to be fake, right?

E: god it's even worse since you can see the bar graph at the top clearly shows the 2500sqft house being 5x bigger than the 500sqft.

itskage has a new favorite as of 11:22 on Nov 22, 2018

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The ratios printed on the chart are the ratios of the squares of the numbers.

What would you read the columns for Hong Kong and Australia as? Five hundred and 2300 square feet?

2300² ÷ 500² = 21.16, pretty close to the figure they give (22.6×).

It’s like they imagine the floor plan of a house in Hong Kong as being a square with 500 feet on a side. The other wall is not one foot long but five hundred, which, for the record would be a quarter of a million actual square feet in non‐:birddrugs: arithmetic and overstating the size of the house by a factor of five hundred.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

itskage posted:

Someone made this whole graphic and didn't stop and go "hey this doesn't sound right..." What is the source? It has to be fake, right?

E: god it's even worse since you can see the bar graph at the top clearly shows the 2500sqft house being 5x bigger than the 500sqft.

The best part is that the tops of the bars reflect the geometry of the stereotypical house.

Pagoda bars :allears:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I opened up Texas and there was a smaller Texas inside! Amazing. I guess they really do like things big.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Platystemon posted:

What would you read the columns for Hong Kong and Australia as? Five hundred and 2300 square feet?

It’s like they imagine the floor plan of a house in Hong Kong as being a square with 500 feet on a side. The other wall is not one foot long but five hundred, which, for the record would be a quarter of a million actual square feet in non‐:birddrugs: arithmetic and overstating the size of the house by a factor of five hundred.

Oh holy poo poo hahahahaha

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Tunicate posted:

Apparently they don't understand what 'square feet' are

Lol at the Australia house with 22.6 houses inside. The Hong Kong house would have to be about the size for a person to fit in and not much else it seems

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Dixville posted:

Lol at the Australia house with 22.6 houses inside. The Hong Kong house would have to be about the size for a person to fit in and not much else it seems
On the other hand, have you seen a HK house? This is considered a McMansion:

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Platystemon posted:

I'm not entirely sure, but I think according to their calculations an average Australian home is approximately 0.7km². For reference, the Vatican City is 0.44km².

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Red Bones posted:

I'm not entirely sure, but I think according to their calculations an average Australian home is approximately 0.7km². For reference, the Vatican City is 0.44km².

To be fair, Australia would actually have the space for that.
Provided you had 2-3-ish people in each home.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

SubNat posted:

To be fair, Australia would actually have the space for that.
Provided you had 2-3-ish people in each home.

Even Vatican would have space for that, provided that you built a tower tall enough/basement deep enough. About 3.5 km tall structure should be enough if we used one quarter of Vatican's area for the footprint (Vatican seems to have enough gardens for this, you can always bulldoze a couple of medieval buildings if need be).

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Red Bones posted:

And unfortunately average Australian house has 1-2 bathrooms.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
That Vatican calculation is probably correct if you go by how many of our houses have burnt down on the same lot on the family farm in Victoria over the years.

Edit: also that one time one of them got flooded, partially sank, and then slid down a hill.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

mobby_6kl posted:

So uh no ones gonna comment on the 4 half naked guys sitting in a kiddie pool playing card games in their hong kong mcmansion?

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Away all Goats posted:

So uh no ones gonna comment on the 4 half naked guys sitting in a kiddie pool playing card games in their hong kong mcmansion?

No, why would we? :confused:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Away all Goats posted:

Put some axes on it and we'll see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

mobby_6kl posted:

This reminds me of photos that Michael Wolf and Benny Lam each took of HK "coffin apartments". Did this come from one of either of those series?