Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The oddest thing about the Reacher novels aren't the novels themselves, but the fact that there's a second series of novels, by a completely different author, about investigators trying to track down Jack Reacher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Pigbuster posted:

Feet are a bit of a taboo body part since they smell and look goofy so you kinda see a lot of that kinda thing in grossout kid's media alongside stuff like boogers and farts. Both grossout jokes and fetishes are often about breaking taboos, so the latter can look just like the former as long as it isn't blatantly explicit. It's only in retrospect, looking back and seeing just how often he did it, that it starts to look really iffy.

Oh sorry I wasn’t clear, I meant for the YouTube thing.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

The main thing I know about Lee Child is that he smokes weed, which makes him the coolest boilerplate paperback novelist by default

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Werner Herzog was the best part of Jack Reacher

https://youtu.be/yJKbNfGBtnM

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

whydirt posted:

Yup. The first movie is a lot of fun. Cruise is good in the role, Herzog rules as the villain, and you didn't really have the burden of expectations going in. The problem with the sequel is that it couldn't keep up the first installment's weird energy.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

whydirt posted:

That is an exceptionally poor Herzog impression.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Fart City posted:

Yup. The first movie is a lot of fun. Cruise is good in the role, Herzog rules as the villain, and you didn't really have the burden of expectations going in. The problem with the sequel is that it couldn't keep up the first installment's weird energy.

It also has what is arguably Jai Courtenay's strongest performance to date!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

porfiria posted:

It also has what is arguably Jai Courtenay's strongest performance to date!

Yea because he has like five lines in the whole movie, then gets completely owned by Reacher.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

It's really not enough to call a movie Jack Reacher or John Carter and expect people to muster the energy to watch them sight unseen. John Wick gets by because the first thing you learn about it is that it's about a guy who avenges his dog, which is a great hook. Mortdecai would have made money if it were released in 1975 and its lead-actor wasn't a walking-oval office who people tired of years ago.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The MSJ posted:

That's Jack Ryan.

Bringing up Detective Pikachu again, I read somewhere that before Ryan Reynolds, the candidates for voicing the title character were Hugh Jackman, Mark Wahlberg, and Dwayne Johnson.

They absolutely should make another Pokemon movie that's exactly Real Steel with Hugh Jackman except instead of a robot it's a bunch of fighting type Pokemon.

Edit: And nobody say Real Steelix, aside from the pun that would not be a suitable mon

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

I've read three Jack Reacher books and remember nothing about them except that Reacher beats the poo poo out of an astounding number of people.

Apparently, Dwayne Johnson was initially considered for the lead of the film adaptation (and is a huge fan of the book series). I think that might have been better than the Cruise version we got.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Inspector Gesicht posted:

It's really not enough to call a movie Jack Reacher or John Carter and expect people to muster the energy to watch them sight unseen. John Wick gets by because the first thing you learn about it is that it's about a guy who avenges his dog, which is a great hook. Mortdecai would have made money if it were released in 1975 and its lead-actor wasn't a walking-oval office who people tired of years ago.

It took me pretty much a year to see John Wick just because of that first name, last name title.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
If you pay any attention to movie trailers at all you definitely would've been hyped to see John Wick because they did a really good one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AUmvWm5ZDQ

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Friends Are Evil posted:

It took me pretty much a year to see John Wick just because of that first name, last name title.

Yeah, being a FATAL and Friends regular, to hear the name John Wick is often one of caution.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Young Freud posted:

Yeah, being a FATAL and Friends regular, to hear the name John Wick is often one of caution.

I will never stop laughing about that coincidence.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Friends Are Evil posted:

I still haven’t seen John Wick because I think it’s dumb he’s doing all of this because of a dog.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

AceOfFlames posted:

I still haven’t seen John Wick because I think it’s dumb he’s doing all of this because of a dog.

You've clearly never owned a dog before.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

AceOfFlames posted:

What the gently caress

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Spoilers: it's an incredibly dumb movie that's also fairly entertaining, even if I got bored by Wick being pretty much invincible by the end.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

AceOfFlames posted:

Are you incapable of feeling attachment or what

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

AceOfFlames posted:

If it helps, it's not just a dog, it's a dog his wife got him as a parting gift as she was dying of cancer.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

AceOfFlames posted:

I hate dogs and I still think it was OK. Not as good as the second one though.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

If it helps, it's not just a dog, it's a dog his wife got him as a parting gift as she was dying of cancer.

They also beat the poo poo out of him and take his car. All right after his wife died.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Basebf555 posted:

If you pay any attention to movie trailers at all you definitely would've been hyped to see John Wick because they did a really good one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AUmvWm5ZDQ

I was also in a phase where I barely watched films in theaters or trailers for them when it originally came out, but the name was the nail in the coffin for me.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

If my SO was dying the last thing I’d want would be for her to give me something I’d have to take care of. I’d probably be too depressed to do so and hand the dog over to the nearest shelter.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Are you incapable of feeling attachment or what

I asked for a dog multiple times as a kid and was always told no because my mom didn’t want me to get attached to it only to get sad when it died. Good move.

Vince MechMahon posted:

They also beat the poo poo out of him and take his car. All right after his wife died.

That is somewhat more understandable but still. I know fridging is problematic and revenge for a dead wife is kinda old hat at this point but everyone freaking out about a dog? I don’t get it. I see more people outraged about dogs dying in movies than humans dying. Makes no sense. Human death is a much greater tragedy.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Nov 15, 2018

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Dogs are cool. Humans, by and large, are not.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

You’ll never have an argument that will ever satisfy you.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

And the point for giving John a dog after her death is to keep John as a caring and loving person. His wife was keeping him from his previous career. That dog is a lesser step but once that is gone, and the car, that sends him way over the top.

It’s not as cut and dry and some say but imo it’s fun that someone did a dog revenge movie with such a high body count.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

AceOfFlames posted:

If my SO was dying the last thing I’d want would be for her to give me something I’d have to take care of. I’d probably be too depressed to do so and hand the dog over to the nearest shelter.

I asked for a dog multiple times as a kid and was always told no because my mom didn’t want me to get attached to it only to get sad when it died. Good move.

That is somewhat more understandable but still. I know fridging is problematic and revenge for a dead wife is kinda old hat at this point but everyone freaking out about a dog? I don’t get it. I see more people outraged about dogs dying in movies than humans dying. Makes no sense. Human death is a much greater tragedy.

maybe it helps to know that Wick used to be an assassin and got out of the business because he met his wife. It's not some schlub becoming King Headshot because some guys killed his dog. It's about idiots incurring the wrath of Old Testament God after God had initially vowed not to do that smiting poo poo anymore.

And then he smites them, right in the head.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
You only have to see the Leguizamo scene to understand the whole movie.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

It's a good thing they didn't get a really tall person for the first Jack Reacher movie, because this scene would not have worked that well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgLMSMIU124

More modern movies need slapstick like this or the Quaaludes scenes in The Wolf of Wall Street.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

AceOfFlames posted:

Your mom just said this because she didn't want to be the one who took care of the dog. Sorry you were denied a decade of joy.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

AceOfFlames posted:

I have seen John Wick exactly because it's dumb he's doing all of this because of a dog. It never stops being funny to think about, and is also part of why I didn't like the sequel.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Pigbuster posted:

Feet are a bit of a taboo body part since they smell and look goofy so you kinda see a lot of that kinda thing in grossout kid's media alongside stuff like boogers and farts. Both grossout jokes and fetishes are often about breaking taboos*, so the latter can look just like the former as long as it isn't blatantly explicit. It's only in retrospect, looking back and seeing just how often he did it, that it starts to look really iffy.

* Often the SAME taboos, too. Tickling, farts, feet, embarassment, etc.

the circumstances of Scheinder leaving are crazy suspicious, and don't forgot someone actually came forward as a victim of his grooming.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

married but discreet posted:

I have seen John Wick exactly because it's dumb he's doing all of this because of a dog. It never stops being funny to think about, and is also part of why I didn't like the sequel.

Yeah it’s really funny also very late stage crapitalism that blowing up John Wick’s house is somehow on the same level as the dog for an emotional hook

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Didn't Schneider's period of influence at Nick involve making a ton more live action shows with teenagers?

On a less disturbing note, Nickelodeon had a whole thing on some level during pretty much the entire 'splat' logo period for gross-out humour and general boundary pushing to some extent. Ren and Stimpy and its many imitators and all. Kinda funny looking back in retrospect that shows like I Am Weasel and Cow & Chicken were CN's answer to Ren and Stimpy's popularity. I wonder if you can trace influence from there to Adult Swim.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Didn't Schneider's period of influence at Nick involve making a ton more live action shows with teenagers?

That was his entire stock in trade.

That (along with Spongebob) was basically the Nick brand for most of the past 15 years or so. Family Guy made a joke about it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

On a less disturbing note, Nickelodeon had a whole thing on some level during pretty much the entire 'splat' logo period for gross-out humour and general boundary pushing to some extent. Ren and Stimpy and its many imitators and all. Kinda funny looking back in retrospect that shows like I Am Weasel and Cow & Chicken were CN's answer to Ren and Stimpy's popularity. I wonder if you can trace influence from there to Adult Swim.

It all comes from You Can’t Do That On Television, probably. That’s where slime comes from. There’s an excellent video about it and its creepy producer Roger Price from fellow goon Poparena:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cl44gvb8b9E

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Brother Entropy posted:

is being a certain height an important part of those books or something

I've not seen the movie or read the books, but my mum complained about how Jack Reacher was supposed to be tall and didn't want to see the film because of it. No idea if she ever did.

I also didn't see John Wick for ages, but now I think it's the best action movie of the decade (I like it more than Mad Max: Fury Road, even).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Taintrunner posted:

Yeah it’s really funny also very late stage crapitalism that blowing up John Wick’s house is somehow on the same level as the dog for an emotional hook

It's the pictures and memories in them, not the house. They're obliterated.