Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Just remember that most MPs have no spines. Most of the conservatives will vote for it.

Though it's a bad sign for May that Hoey won't back it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Kurtofan posted:

Whats a backstop

It's the fallback plan to prevent a hard border in Northern Ireland, otherwise things could get all explodey again.

Basically NI stays in the customs union so they don't have to put border checks everywhere (there's something like 275 border crossings between Ireland and NI). Except they still haven't agreed on that either, because May and the DUP don't want a border in the Irish sea and the brexit loonies in the tories don't want the whole of the UK to be in the customs union.

Basically it's another loving fiasco and another thing they should have been discussing before this dumb idea was even put to a vote.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
It's darkly funny though, as the only thing stopping the ERG forcing through hellscape Brexit is a tiny colonial legacy that Brexiters are obliged to pretend they care about, whilst also highlighting that Ireland, which they consider to be an uppity colony, is now more powerful and influential than England.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

alphabettitouretti posted:

It's the fallback plan to prevent a hard border in Northern Ireland, otherwise things could get all explodey again.

Basically NI stays in the customs union so they don't have to put border checks everywhere (there's something like 275 border crossings between Ireland and NI). Except they still haven't agreed on that either, because May and the DUP don't want a border in the Irish sea and the brexit loonies in the tories don't want the whole of the UK to be in the customs union.

Basically it's another loving fiasco and another thing they should have been discussing before this dumb idea was even put to a vote.

Yeah, this absolutely insurmountable problem was known about long before the referendum. But we went ahead with it anyway because davey cameron is a pie

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
it was entirely surmountable. They’d have voted for a border in the Irish Sea and told the DUP to eat poo poo.

But then we had a 2017 election that made that plan impossible and lol May.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

lol if all this ends up with The Troubles 2: More Troubles

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Oh boy I can't wait for them to remove all the bins in train stations again. We'll find a way to blame it on the EU though.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Fans posted:

it was entirely surmountable. They’d have voted for a border in the Irish Sea and told the DUP to eat poo poo.

But then we had a 2017 election that made that plan impossible and lol May.

thank gently caress for that lol

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

well apparently the violence that’s going on in NI is already the worst it’s been since the Good Friday agreement

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Jel Shaker posted:

well apparently the violence that’s going on in NI is already the worst it’s been since the Good Friday agreement

it’s clear the public sector has failed! time to contract the peacekeeping process out to the private sector :capitalismsay:

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Any Labour MP that votes for May's deal needs to be immediately deselected because they are essentially admitting they would prefer a Tory government to a Labour one via a general election

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Apparently the draft agreement has just been released. Can't wait for hell to break loose.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Seriously considered having a read of it for a good 10 or so seconds.

Which is presumably more thought on reading it Than Rees-Mogg had before putting out his take on it.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
So when should we expect this to go to Parliament?

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/ashcowburn/status/1062805463450955777

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1062796765798301696

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
uk determined to die first in order to own the globalists or something

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

-

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

it’s going to get that far, just like the handover of Hong Kong taking everyone by surprise

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Get your head and heart checked.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
I love how every cabinet minister (on either side) has had a billion opportunities to display a spine, and has thought "no, the people will respect me more if I whinge off the record and then sign off on whatever bullshit is in front of me"

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

OhFunny posted:

So when should we expect this to go to Parliament?

Well the PM should give a statement on the deal tomorrow afternoon, but the thing probably won't get voted on for about a month from what Grant Shapps (ex-Tory Party Chairman) was saying to BBC News. Of course that could all change if Tory 48 backbenchers send in letters to the Chairman of the 1922 Committee saying they've lost confidence in the PM because there will then be a confidence vote among Tory MPs and potentially a leadership contest (though I doubt there's enough Tory MPs willing to overthrow May this close to the March 29th deadline), but even having to prove she has the confidence of her MPs will be a big blow to what little authority she has left

tarbrush posted:

I love how every cabinet minister (on either side) has had a billion opportunities to display a spine, and has thought "no, the people will respect me more if I whinge off the record and then sign off on whatever bullshit is in front of me"

Oh but apparently Esther McVey cried in cabinet after being shouted at, (loving Work & Pensions Secretary can do one, she should be shouted at 24/7 for not immediately shitcanning Universal Credit) therefore we have to feel sorry for her.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

alphabettitouretti posted:

Oh boy I can't wait for them to remove all the bins in train stations again. We'll find a way to blame it on the EU though.

They'll say poles stole them, along with all the food and medicine

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
Could the CSPAM thread double as a sort of UKMT fight club? So disagreements could be hashed out at length without participants having to worry about swallowing the actual thread up in the tedious pedant arguing.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Vitamin P posted:

Could the CSPAM thread double as a sort of UKMT fight club? So disagreements could be hashed out at length without participants having to worry about swallowing the actual thread up in the tedious pedant arguing.

this IS the actual thread, d&d is where the pedantry goes

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

tbf at least riots work fairly well in terms of forcing politicians to change course

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
How will this affect Britain's critical shortage of sperm?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I do not understand British politics, why isn't one of the parties forcefully anti-"smash ourselves in the balls with a hammer repeatedly"

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Tacky-rear end Rococco posted:

How will this affect Britain's critical shortage of sperm?

Super Canada will share our strategic cum reserve

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

brugroffil posted:

I do not understand British politics, why isn't one of the parties forcefully anti-"smash ourselves in the balls with a hammer repeatedly"

The people have spoken! <Braces for impact>

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

https://twitter.com/70s_party/status/1062423589729812480?s=19

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
So is the government going to collapse?:dance:

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Captain Splendid posted:

So is the government going to collapse?:dance:

probably not

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

brugroffil posted:

Because both major parties perceive (rightly or wrongly) that the parts of their base who voted remain are politically aware loyalists that they can count on for votes anyway, but that there's a chunk of swing voters in the leave camp who need to be courted at all costs.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Pissflaps is allowed to post here, this is obviously the pedantry thread

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Raab's gone

https://twitter.com/DominicRaab/status/1062992019449098241?s=19

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I wonder if Tessa May might just have a nervous breakdown at this point

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I kinda admire May for her ability to put up with this poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Hopefully the next guy knows about Dover and Calais so they've got a bit of a head start in the job.