Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
these release numbers were a sacred trust!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

quote:

Similarly, the company is looking at "Net promoter score"—whether users would recommend each version to their family and friends—and says that this, too, is heading in the right direction,
does this mean seeing that "would you recommend windows 10 to a friend or colleague" pop-up every update in the near future

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Phoenixan posted:

does this mean seeing that "would you recommend windows 10 to a friend or colleague" pop-up every update in the near future

i always answer no, because most people i know would be better off with a mac or ipad

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
so if i made a bootable usb installer for 1809 before it was pulled, do i need to do that again with the new release? or will a install from that start getting updates now?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i think that release was completely abandoned so your best bet is to use the media tool and make a new one

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

akadajet posted:

i always answer no, because most people i know would be better off with a mac or ipad
most people i know would be better off dead

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

infernal machines posted:

these release numbers were a sacred trust!

my tattoo schema :ohdear:

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

i think that release was completely abandoned so your best bet is to use the media tool and make a new one

:hmmyes:

the old and current versions of MediaCreationTool1809.exe have the same sha256sum, but the os install files they put on the usb drive might be quite different, so possibly still worth making a new usb installer

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

lol if the build number is the same because it's actually the same build

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
it very well might be the same for a fresh install, where the "deletes your data on install" bugs dont really apply, but i would presume that the upgrade installer has a bunch of fixes

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
windows 10: pretty okay for a "rolling stone gathers no moss" laptop which i use for skype and literally nothing else

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
that's three different laptops for me now

:yaycloud:

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

SRQ posted:

the new October iso is still 1809

nice work making your versioning system meaningless

it's not without precedent

1803 was billed as April and released in May

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

it's not abandoned, it'll still update to current (17763.134) but they didn't magically fix the redirect file-eater on the old images so make a new one

man microsoft really hosed up

if they held up a few builds they could have made a Windows release build 17776

orange sky
May 7, 2007

using NPS on a product that technically holds a monopoly is pretty laughable

"oh, no, I've only ever used Windows but I'd definitely recommend CentOS over this bullshit"

also I love how they keep changing CB CBB LTSB to Semi annual or retarded or whatever just so customers always have a "oh, it's changed, it's normal to be disruptive" moment instead of realizing that this poo poo OS that can't update has been out for 3 and a half years now

orange sky
May 7, 2007

I was a harsh critic of Microsoft when I was a partner, but now that I'm a competitor, ohhhhh boy gently caress 'em

orange sky
May 7, 2007

laughing my rear end off everytime I remember the sessions where Msft employees had to keep reconnecting their keyboards to their surfaces

and Intune configurations that one customer would have but not the others, and nothing worked

orange sky
May 7, 2007

remembering that one session that was "everything new with Intune" and this programmer dude comes in and spends an hour talking about "now when you hover on the fields there will be a description to tell you what data you need to input" lmao

orange sky
May 7, 2007

remembering NDA sessions where the only person attending was from Marketing and any roadmap questions were met with "I can't really tell you that"

very useful NDAs

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

orange sky posted:

remembering that one session that was "everything new with Intune" and this programmer dude comes in and spends an hour talking about "now when you hover on the fields there will be a description to tell you what data you need to input" lmao

must've been a pain to implement you ungrateful user you

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Windows 1809, October Otter

Should have been 1811, November Nagscreen

I'm sure the accelerated schedule for 1903 won't mean more bugs.

Lambert fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Nov 14, 2018

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

i didn't realize the numbers meant a thing besides a rando number until this files aren't safeu debacle caused articles to write about it

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

orange sky posted:

remembering NDA sessions where the only person attending was from Marketing and any roadmap questions were met with "I can't really tell you that"

very useful NDAs

no discussion assumed

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

orange sky posted:

very useful NDAs

they used to hold marketing events focused on the SMB market where they'd send a guy with a powerpoint deck to do a presentation of the new product lineup followed by a q&a. invariably they couldn't answer any questions because anything not in the deck was NDA'd

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

orange sky posted:

also I love how they keep changing CB CBB LTSB to Semi annual or retarded or whatever just so customers always have a "oh, it's changed, it's normal to be disruptive" moment instead of realizing that this poo poo OS that can't update has been out for 3 and a half years now

these are also not 100% consistent between windows, server, and office. i don't even want to know the state of dev tools or SQL releases.

bonus, whatever flavour of long term release, you can end up with mutually unsupported windows/office deployments because of the release cadence/support sunset

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

orange sky posted:

laughing my rear end off everytime I remember the sessions where Msft employees had to keep reconnecting their keyboards to their surfaces

and Intune configurations that one customer would have but not the others, and nothing worked

i like the azure guys MS has that are just SSHing into linux boxes

orange sky
May 7, 2007

It's just so refreshing working in a company where the product just.. works. And is good as hell too. Good change.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

orange sky posted:

It's just so refreshing working in a company where the product just.. works. And is good as hell too. Good change.

sounds fake, op

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

orange sky posted:

working on a product that you genuinely believe in is a refreshing experience

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

orange sky posted:

lol @ the idea of a Linux ever working

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

orange sky posted:

the unicorn ranch?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Shaggar posted:

lol @ the idea of a Linux ever working

no, it works, as long as all you're trying to do is make more linux

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

orange sky posted:

Glad you enjoy working at Oracle!

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Nah, it's something that works mostly with Windows computers too, an enterprise product. Won't do publicity here but in 1 or 2 years I'll come back here and you'll have heard about it for sure :)

And no, it's not Oracle, what the hell

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Lambert posted:

Glad you enjoy working at Oracle!

lol

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
:pram:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

why dutch windows installation has some english

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009