Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

This is a clumsy first implementation hacked onto a game developed for older (current) lighting tech, so yea of course it sucks.

It'll get better pretty quickly, and while a 1080ti benchmarks about the same as a 2080 in current games, it likely won't a year from now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
... just buy it?

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

repiv posted:

I feel like a hybrid approach would be more practical, do a regular screen-space reflections pass then use DXR raytracing to fill in the gaps where SSR fails due to missing information.

It wouldn't be 100% correct like raytracing everything, but probably close enough and a lot faster :shrug:

If it's really the acceleration structure updates that are the main performance hit, it doesn't seem like it would be all that much faster, unfortunately.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Get those 2080Tis while they're hot!

https://www.hardocp.com/news/2018/11/14/evga_2080_ti_xc_catches_fire_in_spectacular_fashion/

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Stickman posted:

On the other hand, in the tech demos DLSS apparently had quality and performance awfully, awfully close to upscaling 1800p TAA, so you could could get a similar effect that way.

Yeah, I've yet to see any evidence of anything more than it being a marketing stunt to get people to run at sub-native resolution, and then actually boast that as a feature. A shame. Hope I'm wrong.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
If we could only double the raytracing elements, we could hit 0 FPS.

I'd feel sympathetic if only I could feel anything about people spending over $600 on graphics cards.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
I, too, am so much better than those other people that do things I would not do.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Hace posted:

The resolution on high really isnt that impressive either

yeah, i swear there were better reflections in serious fuckin sam. jesus christ, what is even going on here.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
It's known that there's a well known point of diminishing returns, and all this talk that $900 graphics cards are pulling barely better than $600 ones doesn't seem that outrageous to me. You paid for the privilege of that higher top speed, don't complain that it's not as much of a difference as you want.

Raytracing makes framerates blow. Okay. But you got raytracing and so far there's no other way. You got the exclusive thing you wanted. It's maybe not good, but it's exclusive.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Currently still on a 970 and quite happy with that. I don't feel like getting a card from the current gen but I'm still glad people are buying them. It makes it more likely they will keep developing in this direction and both the tech and the game engines that support it will be much wider spread.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Craptacular! posted:

It's known that there's a well known point of diminishing returns, and all this talk that $900 graphics cards are pulling barely better than $600 ones doesn't seem that outrageous to me. You paid for the privilege of that higher top speed, don't complain that it's not as much of a difference as you want.

Raytracing makes framerates blow. Okay. But you got raytracing and so far there's no other way. You got the exclusive thing you wanted. It's maybe not good, but it's exclusive.

It would sure be great if price/perf hadn't actually risen for the rest of us too though!

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lets see sli 2080ti before i fully decide this iteration of ray tracing is dumb as poo poo

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Fauxtool posted:

lets see sli 2080ti before i fully decide this iteration of ray tracing is dumb as poo poo

"Somehow when NVLinked, the 2080Ti exhibits *negative* FPS and causes the entire computer to collapse in on itself into a singularity. When prompted for an answer about this, Huang only responded with 'you have to admit it's pretty neat when it happens, and perfectly raytraced, too!'" :smug:

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Sormus posted:

I, too, am so much better than those other people that do things I would not do.

This but unironically

wargames posted:

maybe AMD's chiplet design will help this, this GPu have 2 path tracing chiplets and 6 raster, this one over here is a clean 4/4 split?

Raytracing itself is a comparatively small chunk of the rendering pipeline so beefing up the fixed function hardware won't help nearly as much as straight up shader grunt.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

How much difference does it make to continue to use the stock cooler on your video card but replace the original thermal paste with something not generic and cheap from the factory?

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
0-10 degrees, it depends on what they used from the factory. I would only repaste a card or CPU if there might be a problem. If it's like 3 years old and used a lot I could see a benefit there too. I wouldn't do it from new.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Radeon Picasso?

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1062981464030097409

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Former Human posted:

How much difference does it make to continue to use the stock cooler on your video card but replace the original thermal paste with something not generic and cheap from the factory?

Like craig said 0-10, though I repaste the same day I get a card. There was benefit in the FE card to do so but I forgot how much, I posted it here iirc. Rarely I've come across a card design that doesnt benefit at all, a few within margin of error territory, but for me in a GPU every degree is worth it and most give you measurable results. Keep in mind for before and after results to at least lock your fan speed for the simplest before/after data because otherwise it might not appear the temperature changes at all with boost clocks. In reality it has changed it just spreads that slightly better thermal dissipation into clockspeed until it hits the same temperature limits

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Nobody told me Nvidia also created the follow up to Hairworks with Fireworks.

On a side note I thought the heating issue on the FE was worse but none have so far caught fire? This isn't as widespread so its hard to say what caused this maybe he was using the furnace i9 9900k as his cpu.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

last thing evga needs if its another issue of theirs

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
oh I think EVGA will be just fine with everyone ITT sucking their dick

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
2080s on fire. I own a Kia model that has been catching fire.
I think this world is trying to kill me with fire.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Picasso is AMD's codename for the APU successor to Raven Ridge. Everything we've heard about it so far is that its "Vega" (mostly in name only) like Raven Ridge, perhaps with some light tweaks. I imagine its the engineering sample just reporting weird stuff and UserBenchmark not knowing what to do with it. Sandra reports it right apparently.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
Don't know how much allergy people have to AMD here (I've been wanting to switch to them for better Linux support as I dual boot, and might get a Freesync monitor soon), but Overclockers UK have some nice deals on right now. Just grabbed a Vega 56 with 3 decent games for £300. They also have the new RX590 for 260, but for the extra 40 it seemed more sensible to go Vega.

GargleBlaster fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Nov 15, 2018

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

GargleBlaster posted:

Don't know how much allergy people have to AMD here (I've been wanting to switch to them for better Linux support as I dual boot, and might get a Freesync monitor soon), but Overclockers UK have some nice deals on right now. Just grabbed a Vega 56 with 3 decent games for £300. They also have the new RX590 for 260, but for the extra 40 it seemed more sensible to go Vega.

If you can get the Vega 56 for 320-350USD that isn't bad as the 1070 and 1070ti are going for about that much nowadays and they are basically equal.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

GargleBlaster posted:

Don't know how much allergy people have to AMD here (I've been wanting to switch to them for better Linux support as I dual boot, and might get a Freesync monitor soon),

Under $350, AMD has some legit reasonable cards. The people in here railing on AMD are the ones who are spending two or three times that on a card, and AMD has no viable entries at those price points.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
Yeah my budget was about £300 and nothing too special, just maxing out the eye candy in various games at 1080p. I'm upgrading from a GTX 760, so should be nice.

Over here the NVidia stuff costs more - 1070s and 1070ti's are similar price to each other but both in the region of £400, as were the Vega56s before this deal. Saving £100, and then about another 200 if I get a variable sync monitor, sits well with me.

($=£ nowadays in general)

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Only thing about AMDs stuff is it uses a lot more power than Nvidias in the same performance bracket. Does it matter, up to the buyer.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

wargames posted:

If you can get the Vega 56 for 320-350USD that isn't bad as the 1070 and 1070ti are going for about that much nowadays and they are basically equal.

Additionally AMD is currently giving away three free games with the purcase of a RX Vega. If you are interested in any of those games it's effectively $60 to $180 off.

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

All the issues seem to be with the 2080 TIs so far, any issues reported with the 2070s or 2080s?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

DrDork posted:

Under $350, AMD has some legit reasonable cards. The people in here railing on AMD are the ones who are spending two or three times that on a card, and AMD has no viable entries at those price points.

And to be fair, Vega also spent most of its life completely and utterly overpriced. It being a reasonable purchase and not worth railing on is a recent occurrence.

(also the $100 "launch rebate", and primitive shaders getting hyped and then canned, etc... Vega didn't have a good start)

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

redeyes posted:

Only thing about AMDs stuff is it uses a lot more power than Nvidias in the same performance bracket. Does it matter, up to the buyer.

It really only matters in laptops. A R56 vs 1070 is about a 80-100w difference. Even at $0.50/kWh, you're talking an extra $0.05/hr at full-tilt gaming. Assuming you play 2hrs/day, 6 days/wk, that's about $30/yr in power differences. Most UK power prices are less than half that.

Cygni posted:

And to be fair, Vega also spent most of its life completely and utterly overpriced. It being a reasonable purchase and not worth railing on is a recent occurrence.

(also the $100 "launch rebate", and primitive shaders getting hyped and then canned, etc... Vega didn't have a good start)

Yeah, this is absolutely true. Just saying it was more a hate of the actual execution of Vega instead of a generic hate for AMD as a whole.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The RX590 review embargo lifted, if you want to read a review of the same graphics architecture for a 3rd time (and for the 5th year!)

https://videocardz.com/79077/amd-radeon-rx-590-review-roundup

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
Hardware Unboxed looks at RTX in BFV, yikes. It's all bad but even worse is that RTX takes a bigger hit as the res goes up - at Ultra and 4K the hit is 4x. This is just reflections ffs

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

This kind of brings back memory of the early T&L days when the S3 cards would turn on Hardware T&L and drop performance by like 50% or more.

Overall new graphics tech like this usually does take a year or two to fully mature so, I guess I will be riding out my 980ti a little longer. G-Sync really does help a lot and I have other things I want to upgrade first. (Mainly the SSD's in my Laptop + replacing the spinning rust in my desktop with SSD's.)

And maybe even give the nVME SSD Support a shot on my X79 now that I have that bios installed. Curiosity and all.

If that works like a charm, I may spring for a E5-1680 V2 to get an 8Core in this thing and hold out on building a new system for a few more years to boot. :)

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Cygni posted:

The RX590 review embargo lifted, if you want to read a review of the same graphics architecture for a 3rd time (and for the 5th year!)

https://videocardz.com/79077/amd-radeon-rx-590-review-roundup

Asking $280 msrp for this, come on now

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Asking $280 msrp for this, come on now

I mean, it's the same card I paid $120 for in 2016, but the three games seems nice. RE2 will probably be good, and maybe even the other two?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

My brother was able to get an XFX RX580 GTR Black Edition for $210 after tax at Best Buy the other day, which I think is an ok deal right? Happy to see the 590 isn't much faster.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Hardware Unboxed looks at RTX in BFV, yikes. It's all bad but even worse is that RTX takes a bigger hit as the res goes up - at Ultra and 4K the hit is 4x. This is just reflections ffs

It's interesting to note that this doesn't seem to be an issue of CPU cores / threads. The 8700k is sitting around 50%, with spikes up to 70%, in their testing. The GPU power is also low, since the CUDA cores are being under-utilized at the low framerates. It would appear that the bottleneck is that there aren't enough RT cores.

I mean, maybe we'll see some single player games that use the technology well and look really nice, but people didn't drop 1200 bucks to play at 1080p 60.

We'll see how Tomb Raider does, if and when they patch in support.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Nov 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

Sympathies to everyone who subsidized Nvidias R&D efforts this launch.