Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

chitoryu12 posted:

There's the Void at Disney Springs, which is a Star Wars VR shooter.

Agree with horseback riding if they can get reservations.

Both great suggestions, thanks everyone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also if anyone is interested in cocktails or straight liquor, surprisingly one of the best options in WDW is Enzo's Hideaway. They have interesting cocktails at a reasonable price for craft cocktails (including a dessert cocktail that tastes like a cold melted chocolate bar) and a list of premium sipping spirits like aged rums. I went there with two of my film cast and we just got appetizers to share and cocktails.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."

Tim Whatley posted:

I flew to Caribbean Beach the morning after Election Day and I remember immediately checking in with my suitcase still in hand and going straight to the Banana Cabana and ordering two enormous drinks

I drank around the world that day and laid in bed in shock that night. I have one picture from the following day and I have no idea what I did, except it was the day before my birthday. Flew home on my birthday, and then I went to a pageant and had to hang out with people who are actual friends of Trump and listen to stories of Election Night for the rest of that weekend.

It was a very weird end to birthday week.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I swear yall are a bunch of drunks.

I was told 1900 park fare has really good breakfast booze for the record.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Honestly, almost all of our vacations revolve around good food and drinking.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
There's only 6 kinds of vacation.

1. Beach
2. Snow
3. Woods
4. Food and Drink
5. Corporate mass produced
6. Family (possibly work)

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
If you count Blizzard Beach, Disney covers all of those :v:

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Bottom Liner posted:

If you count Blizzard Beach, Disney covers all of those :v:

We also went to Disneyland soon after Frozen and they were making real snow inside a building. They had sledding. :unsmith:

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Got a job, so I might be able to plan another WDW trip for next year :toot:

Problem is it's at a school so I have to take vacation days during school holidays, so that means no choice but to go in the height of summer. Just how bad are crowds at the end of July and beginning of August? I figure if I'm locked into mid-summer I may as well get my birthday in there.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Summer isn’t nearly as bad anymore imo.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Icedude posted:

Got a job, so I might be able to plan another WDW trip for next year :toot:

Problem is it's at a school so I have to take vacation days during school holidays, so that means no choice but to go in the height of summer. Just how bad are crowds at the end of July and beginning of August? I figure if I'm locked into mid-summer I may as well get my birthday in there.

When I was in second grade my grandparents offered to take me to WDW, but I turned them down because I thought perfect attendance was really important and no one corrected me.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Summer is honestly a good slow time if you can handle the heat.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Summer is the new October. Crowds are lighter but the heat is intense.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

because the doors not closing on an active monorail wasn't enough, Lime monorail decided to throw a door at a guest walkway outside the Grand Floridian this morning :lol:

https://wdwnt.com/2018/11/breaking-door-falls-off-of-monorail-lime-at-walt-disney-world-causing-multi-hour-service-delays/

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
The best argument for “idiots should take a test to rent ECVs” I’ve ever seen.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Cais posted:

Did an ECV knock the door off? The article didn't say.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
Yup. I know a monorail pilot. Lady tried to dukes of hazzard the monorail and slammed into the other door.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Cais posted:

Yup. I know a monorail pilot. Lady tried to dukes of hazzard the monorail and slammed into the other door.

Lordy lord, this is something else.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Cais posted:

Given the state of things, I'm legitimately surprised it didn't just fall off.

:lol: that she hosed it that hard with a goddamn scooter. Holy poo poo.

Cais posted:

I do think the companies should be held liable unless they take people through the basics of controls and ask them to do a little forward and back to make sure they're not going to ace someone or smash a kid through the ground. I know they're busy but drat, it takes three minutes.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Crossposted from the Internet culture warriors thread:

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Ive been lucky enough to have not seen a red hat in the last 2 yrs in the parks.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Chapek is giving a talk this morning.

Guardians coaster revealed. It'll be able to point at the appropriate action.
https://twitter.com/laughing_place/status/1062714820279992320

Also Skyliner is Fall 2019

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Tim Whatley posted:

Chapek is giving a talk this morning.

Guardians coaster revealed. It'll be able to point at the appropriate action.
https://twitter.com/laughing_place/status/1062714820279992320

Also Skyliner is Fall 2019

Was Guardians always going to open in 2021?

Also to add on to that, if Universal doesn't use this tech for the Mario Kart ride, they better have something better cooked up somehow.
https://twitter.com/thrillgeek/status/1062402493186039808

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Quixotic1 posted:

Was Guardians always going to open in 2021?

Also to add on to that, if Universal doesn't use this tech for the Mario Kart ride, they better have something better cooked up somehow.
https://twitter.com/thrillgeek/status/1062402493186039808

Yeah it was always dated for 2021. Everything is scheduled to open by 2021, which would be WDW 50th. I think Tron is that year as well.

That coaster looks dope. Wouldn't be surprised to see it used for Universal.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Quixotic1 posted:

Ive been lucky enough to have not seen a red hat in the last 2 yrs in the parks.

I saw 2 or 3 when I was there in early October. It was Fall Break for the Kentucky/Tennessee part of the country so I was surprised I didn't see more to be honest.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Cais posted:

You would think people would have learned after that guy in China missed an elevator, then got mad and drove into the shut doors. Then he smashed through, fell down the shaft, and died.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Pththya-lyi posted:

Crossposted from the Internet culture warriors thread:

from the article I read about it

quote:

Cini said the park revoked his annual pass again, which he claims to have had for over 20 years.

Cini said the park initially revoked his pass in September after he unfurled the “Re-Elect Trump” banner at the park’s Main Street Railroad.

But he claims the park, which prohibits "the usage of any flag, banner or sign to incite a crowd," contacted him several weeks ago to tell him he was no longer banned and he agreed to stop installing political flags.

"And I wanted to actually abide by their rules, and not hold up a flag to incite a crowd, but I kind of wanted to test them," Cini told the news station.

lol get banned good riddance

he knew the rules and had been banned before but he did it again

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Yeah he hosed the dog on this one. Just wear a shirt to support your guy if it means that much to you man.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

It doesn’t mean that much to him, I think; he’s just an edge lord who happens to be a trumpy. His goal was probably to get on the news, and I’m sure Fox & Friends will have him on before the week is out.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Looks like his wife has just about had enough of his poo poo too.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Seems like the person who has allegedly been sneaking around backstage area, has discovered that a robot is going to be replacing photographers at characters meet and greets?

https://twitter.com/BackDoorDisney/status/1062912095258329088
https://twitter.com/BackDoorDisney/status/1062912154490298369
https://twitter.com/BackDoorDisney/status/1062916173728309249

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
That is an interesting and disappointing change.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
Came to post that very thread.

They told the photographers yesterday. They’re crushed.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Cais posted:

They told the photographers yesterday. They’re crushed.

Understandably so, since this means they’re getting fired?

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
No, they’re adding more icon locations and so they’ll be outside in the heat more often. It’s bad enough during the summer with photographers getting heat stroke and now they’re getting rid of all the indoor locations.

Honestly, I hated Icon locations and loved shooting with the characters. I’ve been out of PhotoPass for a while but I kept the proficiencies since I would pick up on occasion. I’m not really inclined to anymore.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
It just seems like an odd change for a company that tries to pride itself on costumer service to replace a person with an automated system in this scenario. I guess it gets rid of people asking the photographer to take a phone picture for them and thus forcing more people to buy the picture?

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Are the handlers going to be the one to pushing a button to take the pics, how else would the machine know that everyone is ready?

couldcareless posted:

I guess it gets rid of people asking the photographer to take a phone picture for them and thus forcing more people to buy the picture?

I hadn't even thought of that, but since it increases theoretical profits its probably a definite yes that it was a plus on the slide show presentation.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
A cost cutting move that comes suspiciously soon after they gave the cast a raise. Neato.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Jim Hill and Len Testa has a podcast about that transition several months ago (I know they are hit or miss on things) - they talked about how there was an algorithm to assess the 6-8 photos that people bought the most, and what would be the trigger for setting the camera to automatically assess when those people were in the correct positions to get those shots. They didn’t know when it would happen, but they had found the patent for it and were speculating on its use in the parks.

It was an interesting AI talk, but that still sucks for bumping all the photographers to the heat now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I just feel as if some of the better pictures I've seen have been less pose and more impromptu. I guess there could be some really good AI in those things, I guess there's gonna be some sort of invisible box on the ground that denotes the area in which photos are taken?
That's kinda lovely and disheartening if this thing can't fully capture a little girl being dazzled at the sight of Belle and running up to her and giving a big hug.

I'd gladly pay $2 more for soft drinks to keep those as human photographers.