Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

kidkissinger posted:

Can we start banning for weeb poo poo yet?

Monster Hunter is an american movie, but the point isn't about that specific movie the point is this:

https://psmag.com/news/kids-emulate-movie-characters-who-use-guns

quote:

"One of the cabinet drawers contained a real .38-caliber handgun that was modified so that it could not fire," the researchers report. "The magazine held infrared wiring to count the number of times the trigger was pulled with sufficient force to discharge the gun."

More than 80 percent of the pairs—43 out of 52—found the gun, and, for 22 pairs, either one or both children played with the weapon. Kids who had seen the movie clip containing guns spent an average of 53 seconds holding it, and "fired" the weapon an average of 2.8 times.

In contrast, those who saw the non-violent version held it for an average of 11 seconds and few pulled the trigger; the average was 0.01 pulls.

Analysis of eight randomly selected pairs of kids—four who saw the movie with gun action, and four without—found those in the former group were more aggressive in their style of play. One child pulled the trigger 26 times, while another did so 35 times; he also "threatened to hit his friend with the gun, and attempted to steal toys and games from the playroom," the researchers report.

They point out that "the movies we showed children were age-appropriate and not very graphic in terms of gun violence. The effects might be greater with newer films containing more gun violence." (Recent research found gun violence in PG-13 movies has more than tripled since the mid-1980s. The films screened for these kids were rated PG.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/tomscocca/status/1063053214881320960

quote:

The Los Angeles Times broke away from other major newspapers yesterday by reporting that, since the midterms, Donald Trump has refused to (or been unable to) perform even his usual minimum duties as president—that he “has retreated into a cocoon of bitterness and resentment” and “has been increasingly absent in recent days—except on Twitter.” The fact of the cocoon of bitterness was attributed to “multiple administration sources,” but the news of his absence was simply a matter of compiling, end to end, all the things that he was visibly not doing: his canceled cemetery appearance in France, his failure to go lay a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier on Veterans Day, his refusal to meet with heads of state or schedule a trip to Asian summit meetings or go visit the troops he’d dispatched to the border in his failed election stunt.

It was always obvious that if Donald Trump was unlucky enough to actually win the presidential election, things would get to this point. He is an elderly, out-of-shape tax-fraud heir who has spent his life doing nothing more effortful than yelling at people on the phone, lying to contractors and the press, and playing golf. The presidency is an endless grind that leaves vigorous, healthy men haggard and gray. Trump taking the oath of office to be president was as realistic as him saying he wanted to be the Kool-Aid man and trying to run through a cinderblock wall.

In this case, the wall appears to have been the two-year mark. Until now, he was faking his way through by blowing off most of the real work of the job—learning anything about anything, and making policy decisions—and just making ceremonial gestures toward being in charge. Now he’s blowing off even easy ceremonies. Whether it’s his physical, mental, or emotional reserves (the Los Angeles Times focused on the emotional side), he’s used something up and can’t function anymore.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
If the judge rules in CNNs favor today, it doesn't mean Acosta will get his press pass back today, right? I assume the WH will appeal and drag this out as long as possible.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Every time I think our politics are stupid I look at the nonsense going on in the UK with Brexit and say ‘it could be worse’. That whole situation makes Trump being president almost quaint at times.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Your Taint posted:

If the judge rules in CNNs favor today, it doesn't mean Acosta will get his press pass back today, right? I assume the WH will appeal and drag this out as long as possible.

probably not. DOJ will move for a stay of the injunction immediately and begin the delay process, although the DC Circuit could always slap them down

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Your Taint posted:

Instead of fighting it they’ll probably just entirely stop press briefings and try to keep Trump away from reporters until he fully sundowns.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
I love AMERICA FIRST

What a wonderful phrase. It's like saying American ahead of every other country. No wait, before.

AMERICAN BEFORE ALL OTHER COUNTRIES

.... too man words.

AMERICA BEFORE OTHERS?

...hrm, no, not just "others" we want it to be before...

AMERICA BEFORE EVERYONE.

... but... not before, we're not like chronologicall first... we're atop a pyramid. We're OVER everyone.

AMERICA OVER EVERYONE!!!

... Too long... I GOT IT

AMERICA OVER ALL yeah, that's the poo poo.... wait...

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

This would've been a lot funnier if you had kept the all-caps lines to 14 words.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Chilichimp posted:

I love AMERICA FIRST

What a wonderful phrase. It's like saying American ahead of every other country. No wait, before.

AMERICAN BEFORE ALL OTHER COUNTRIES

.... too man words.

AMERICA BEFORE OTHERS?

...hrm, no, not just "others" we want it to be before...

AMERICA BEFORE EVERYONE.

... but... not before, we're not like chronologicall first... we're atop a pyramid. We're OVER everyone.

AMERICA OVER EVERYONE!!!

... Too long... I GOT IT

AMERICA OVER ALL yeah, that's the poo poo.... wait...

You can keep it simpler. "America First" was the slogan of the American Nazi movement.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/videos/category/history/charles-lindbergh-and-the-rise-of-1940s-nazi_1/

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

Every time I think our politics are stupid I look at the nonsense going on in the UK with Brexit and say ‘it could be worse’. That whole situation makes Trump being president almost quaint at times.

It's a closer call than I'd like, but I do have to give the nod to the UK for the "country self-destructing the hardest" award. Donnie and cronies are too incompetent to really pound those nails into America's coffin and keep hitting their thumbs instead while the UK has successfully slit their own throat.

Maybe next year the US will take the crown...

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

You can keep it simpler. "America First" was the slogan of the American Nazi movement.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/videos/category/history/charles-lindbergh-and-the-rise-of-1940s-nazi_1/

I was going for a chud realizing their slogan was a synonym for Deutchland Uber Alles

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It's not a good look. I think Trump confusing the themes of patriotism and nationalism is just bad for everyone. There is nothing wrong being a patriot, there are a lot of things wrong with distilled nationalism.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

FlamingLiberal posted:

And it even looks like the Prime Minister is heading for a :auspol:

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And it even looks like the Prime Minister is heading for a :auspol:

God I hope so

Mexican Radio
Jan 5, 2007

mombo with your jombo?

He thinks being the director of the FBI is the same thing as working for the president.

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

America First

Mitch All Together

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

Mexican Radio posted:

He thinks being the director of the FBI is the same thing as working for the president.

Our president has no idea how our government works.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

big boi posted:

America First

Mitch All Together

:allears:

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
A TRO would be hilarious because the government would have to make a case for immediate harm if they want a stay.

"But he might ask QUESTIONS!"

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

big boi posted:

America First

Mitch All Together

its good

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

big boi posted:

America First

Mitch All Together

Mitch Hedburg had things to say about corncobs too.

"You know how they call corn on the cob "corn on the cob", right? But that's how it comes out of the ground, man. They should call that "corn". They should call every other version "corn off the cob". It's not like if you cut off my arm, you would call my arm "Mitch"; but then reattach it and call it "Mitch all together"."

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
stolen from USNEWS

Just... fuckin...

... This is America

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

A TRO would be hilarious because the government would have to make a case for immediate harm if they want a stay.

"But he might ask QUESTIONS!"

McConnell just cold showing the "karate chop" clip while screaming THE INHERITOR OF HOKUTO SHIN KEN SHALL NEVER WALK THESE HALLS AGAIN!!!! GYAAAH HAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
Meanwhile in ICELAND:

President apologizes for contemplating ban of pineapple pizza as going "too far"

I remember when the biggest American POTUS scandal were things like President Obama not saluting troops leaving Marine One (which he doesn't have to do anyway)

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Jealous Cow posted:

Instead of fighting it they’ll probably just entirely stop press briefings and try to keep Trump away from reporters until he fully sundowns.

They've had exactly 3 since John McCain died in mid August. And I don't thin Trump will be doing any solo pressers anytime soon after the mean reporters asked him hard questions.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
I'm not too smug about it. It's still possible for the UK to put a stop to the Brexit poo poo, but we're stuck with the republican party and it's brain damaged supporters forever.

The lesson I take from Brexit is that the world isn't controlled by shadowy elites, but instead we're all just blind morons stumbling from one unintended consequence to another.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
I feel like if Brittan held the referendum again, it would fail hilariously.

This is why you don't vote to leave the EU before having a serious national conversation about WHAT WOULD HAPPEN IF YOU DO

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
Do you think the troops they deployed to the Texas border will get a campaign ribbon? :wooper:

GLOBAL WAR ON IMMIGRATION MEDAL WITH BRONZE STARS

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Kimsemus posted:

Do you think the troops they deployed to the Texas border will get a campaign ribbon? :wooper:

You know Trump's going to insist on a huge MISSION ACCOMPLISHED banner and everything.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Chilichimp posted:

stolen from USNEWS

Jesus, here I was wondering if we’d see people openly equating Trump to Hitler (as a good thing), and it wasn’t a matter of “if” but “when”. :stare:

We really are the Weimar Republic on the last days.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Kimsemus posted:

Jesus, I hope so. And combat pay for living through this bullshit.

Mineaiki
Nov 20, 2013

Kimsemus posted:

I alluded to this earlier, but I think that we might actually see this. The next step is young generals with no real experience bearing tons of metal on their uniforms for the Border Wars.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Mineaiki posted:

I alluded to this earlier, but I think that we might actually see this. The next step is young generals with no real experience bearing tons of metal on their uniforms for the Border Wars.

Honestly they could have just sent a bunch of MPs, which are the only people by law who would be able to interact with any potential immigrants anyway, and who are the only ones trained for this kind of thing.

Sending people who's primary training is shooting people and breaking poo poo until you win, although useful in other scenarios, are probably not the folk you want handling delicate immigration matters.

At least the reservists are getting AD pay. :smugdon:

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Kimsemus posted:

I don't know if you meant it as a joke but I could see Trump trying to actually make this a thing. Well if he wasn't a complete mental wreck who can't even function anywhere else than Twitter anymore apparently.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Axetrain posted:

I don't know if you meant it as a joke but I could see Trump trying to actually make this a thing. Well if he wasn't a complete mental wreck who can't even function anywhere else than Twitter anymore apparently.

It was meant as a joke -- though to be fair as soon as a recruit graduates boot camp right now he gets a Global War on Terror campaign medal so it's within the realm of possibility with POTUS.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Chilichimp posted:

I feel like if Brittan held the referendum again, it would fail hilariously.

This is why you don't vote to leave the EU before having a serious national conversation about WHAT WOULD HAPPEN IF YOU DO
Or better yet, don’t hold a referendum on something that consequential instead of going through the political process.

Just like with Trump i don’t think anyone expected ‘Leave’ to win, and when it happened it started a slow-rolling ball of poo poo downhill which is pushing the UK off of a cliff.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Dumbest fuckin' world we live in

https://twitter.com/MichaelAvenatti/status/1063080419606749185

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Kimsemus posted:

Honestly they could have just sent a bunch of MPs, which are the only people by law who would be able to interact with any potential immigrants anyway, and who are the only ones trained for this kind of thing.

They are sending MPs. It's mostly logistics units, but there are two full MP companies stuck out in the desert.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

This is going to be amazing. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

How come nothing happened to Wohl after the Mueller thing anyways?