Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Yeah it absolutely didn't have a lock on to begin with, I think they were bragging about how their lock on was so natural you wouldn't want one or some hogwash.

Also claiming that you'll feel the speed of 60 fps with our 30fps game (which to be fair, doesn't actually matter for this game, but why lie about it?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
https://clips.twitch.tv/ConfidentOpenAniseNinjaGrumpy

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Phantasium posted:

Also claiming that you'll feel the speed of 60 fps with our 30fps game (which to be fair, doesn't actually matter for this game, but why lie about it?).

To be fair, it was Itsuno who said that poo poo.

The whole "feel of 60FPS" thing isn't even that objectionable, there are real techniques you can use to adequately compensate for the loss of fluidity that comes with 30FPS visuals. His other quote - "60FPS is tiring on the eyes, 30FPS is practically essential" - was wayyyy dumber.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Pigbuster posted:

Exactly. It's why Kamiya's tweet about how Dante doesn't make enough money to buy his own limited-edition coat ruled, too. Being a rich successful rear end in a top hat isn't cool, being a poor loser who still manages to be a badass is cool as hell.

I think Kaiba's pretty cool.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Doesn't Pat also think the Gamecube was blue too? Or is that Woolie?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Kay Kessler posted:

Doesn't Pat also think the Gamecube was blue too? Or is that Woolie?

That's Woolie. Pat called him out on being color-blind for it.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

RareAcumen posted:

I think Kaiba's pretty cool.

He's the exception that proves the rule.

Justice Sloth
Jun 10, 2012

Damn skippy.

Known colour-vision deficiency mocker Pat Boivin unable to distinguish between Blue and Purple to the surprise of absolutely no one.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i'm annoyed they're saying DmC is NT's best game when Hellblade is right there, being inventive and engrossing without trying to ape other IP's or giving hostages abortions with sniper rifles

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Oxxidation posted:

i'm annoyed they're saying DmC is NT's best game when Hellblade is right there, being inventive and engrossing without trying to ape other IP's or giving hostages abortions with sniper rifles

Pat forgot about Hellblade even though Pat was in the video they did about it! I mean it's either that or crazy talk is just too strong for its own good

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

I think hellblade isn't going to appeal that much to someone unless they are a particular type of person

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I honestly completely forgot they even played Hellblade

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Monaghan posted:

DmC is fascinating because I can't think of a worst PR campaign for a game, ever. It's amazing how bad it was, even if the game only ended up being a meh game.

Remember the big oopsie when they intentionally or not (They've tried to run back their story with it like twice) went with the "Old Dante was GAY (And that's bad)" strategy?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Captain Baal posted:

I honestly completely forgot they even played Hellblade

I thought it was made by the Until Dawn people.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The DmC redo cuts out some of the really crappy cutscene stuff, like a lot of the "the world is your bitch and so am I"-type poo poo that Lilith says to Mundus.

I wonder if it's gonna cut out the scene where Mundus fucks her on screen for no reason

Monaghan posted:

DmC is fascinating because I can't think of a worst PR campaign for a game, ever. It's amazing how bad it was, even if the game only ended up being a meh game.

Dante's Inferno had a pretty poo poo one, but it was more on spectacle than doing something as loving stupid as saying "You're an idiot, buy our game so we can show you how much of an idiot you are."

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Didn't Dante's Inferno have that really horrible "WIN A NIGHT OF SIN WITH A WOMAN" promo?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

ApeHawk posted:

Didn't Dante's Inferno have that really horrible "WIN A NIGHT OF SIN WITH A WOMAN" promo?

Yeah who would want to play SiN

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

I thought it was made by the Until Dawn people.

I keep forgetting it's a Ninja Theory game because it's so tonally different from the rest of their catalog. I guess after DmC they got their teenboy edginess out of the system for good.

Captain Baal posted:

I wonder if it's gonna cut out the scene where Mundus fucks her on screen for no reason

It always amazes me that Ninja Theory kept trying to pass off DmC as this deep and nuanced take on the franchise instead of embracing being a different kind of schlock. I desperately wanna believe that was their intention and they were only told by PR they're not allowed to say it.

Then again I vaguely recall a story about a writer working on their previous game Enslaved asking if the protagonist is tossing off innocent people off a cliff to establish he's a lovely person to set up future character development only to be told nah it's to show how cool and badass he is, so maybe it's what Ninja Theory sincerely believed at the time.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ApeHawk posted:

"For the record, EA has since apologized for their “Sin to Win” folly. Electronic Arts and developer Visceral Games held this contest at San Diego Comic Con this year, where an attendee was encouraged to “commit acts of lust” and then post it on Facebook. EA later explained that these “acts of lust” were simply taking photographs of their costumed representatives and posting them on their company Facebook page. "

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

a cartoon duck posted:

I keep forgetting it's a Ninja Theory game because it's so tonally different from the rest of their catalog. I guess after DmC they got their teenboy edginess out of the system for good.

It always amazes me that Ninja Theory kept trying to pass off DmC as this deep and nuanced take on the franchise instead of embracing being a different kind of schlock. I desperately wanna believe that was their intention and they were only told by PR they're not allowed to say it.

Then again I vaguely recall a story about a writer working on their previous game Enslaved asking if the protagonist is tossing off innocent people off a cliff to establish he's a lovely person to set up future character development only to be told nah it's to show how cool and badass he is, so maybe it's what Ninja Theory sincerely believed at the time.

I'm getting really hard Deja vu reading this post. The Enslaved part feels like I've read it five times before this already.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

RareAcumen posted:

I'm getting really hard Deja vu reading this post. The Enslaved part feels like I've read it five times before this already.

It gets cited pretty often in regards to any edgy Ninja Theory doings.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
And the moment you"ve all been waiting for. It's time for KH.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZwV4b89c6I

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Julias posted:

the shitshow

is finally here

matt is on controls, so maybe it won't last 120 episodes

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Julias posted:

*Picks sword, gives up staff*

It's been a while since I played the game, but isn't that the worst combo?

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Rhonne posted:

*Picks sword, gives up staff*

It's been a while since I played the game, but isn't that the worst combo?

Worst/hardest would be dropping shield as your base defense would be 1. The most balanced is pick staff, drop sword => 3 to all stats....pick sword drop staff is...attack 6, defense 2, MP 2, and AP1. So...they're like on second hardest difficulty? I guess.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

ApeHawk posted:

Look at allllllllll this stupid poo poo

quote:

Before the game's release, Dante's Inferno underwent a prominent, at times elaborate marketing campaign led by the game's publisher Electronic Arts. The numerous advertisements highlighted certain sins associated with the circles of hell, at times promoting fake services before accusing the viewer of the sin linked to it.

Electronic Arts partnered with GameStop for a one-day promotion of Dante's Inferno on September 9, 2009 (9/9/9). Those that pre-ordered the game were offered a $6.66 discount, the Number of the Beast.[11] In addition, EA conducted an unsolicited mailing in which checks for $200 were sent to selected video game critics, with the following note:

"In Dante's Inferno, Greed is a two-headed beast. Hoarding wealth feeds one beast, and squandering it satiates the other. By cashing this check you succumb to avarice by hoarding filthy lucre, but by not cashing it, you waste it, and thereby surrender to prodigality. Make your choice and suffer the consequence for your sin. And scoff not, for consequences are imminent."[12]

A viral marketing campaign was also launched featuring a website and ad for a fake religious game called Mass: We Pray, a motion controller-based game supposedly allowing players to engage in an interactive prayer and church sermon. When attempting to order the game, the website deems you a heretic and plays to a trailer for Dante's Inferno, as well as providing links to the related Facebook application called "Go to Hell".[13] The application, created by Visceral Games lets users condemn their friends, groups, or photos to one of the nine circles of hell where they can then vote to punish or absolve them, or torment them with activities like "beast massage" or "succubus castration."[14]

Later in October 2009, EA sent a series of packages to Veronica Belmont at Qore, the PlayStation: The Official Magazine offices and Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw of the Escapist's Zero Punctuation column. The package contained a small wooden box which, when opened, played the Rick Astley song "Never Gonna Give You Up", thus "Rickrolling" the journalists that received it. The music could not be stopped through any means other than destroying the box using the hammer and goggles provided. After destroying the box, such as Veronica Belmont who posted the act on YouTube,[15] a note read that they had given into Wrath as the note then found within the box predicted.[16]

EA produced a commercial for the game that was shown during Super Bowl XLIV, a fast-paced cinematic of Dante's descent into hell, overplayed by what was considered an unusual use of Bill Withers' song "Ain't No Sunshine". Time magazine reporter James Poniewozik referred to the ad as "something magical and funny."[17] According to EA product manager Phil Marineu, the decision to air the ad was to concentrate on more solid titles that they believe can break through to the masses.[18]

Another secretly fake commercial for the fictional company "Hawk Panther" encouraged viewers to visit the Hawk Panther website in order to be able to steal their best friend's girlfriend. If the link to find out more about the Hawk Panther systems is clicked on a message appears stating, "TREACHERY! Thou are condemned to the 9th Circle. Thou hast broken the bonds of trust with thy kindred. Even conspiring to stealeth thy best friend's soul mate is the worst kind of mortal offense imaginable. You shall pay for thy treachery by spending an eternity immersed up to your face, the place where shame shows itself, in the putrid, frozen waters of Hell." The site also shows a trailer of Dante's Inferno and a link to buy the game.[19]

The Facebook application developer Lolapps, Inc. similarly adapted a Facebook role-playing game, Battle of the Damned, that lets users fight through the nine circles of hell to rescue their murdered and damned wife. It rose nearly 1 million monthly active users in less than a year after launching.[20]

Prior to Dante's Inferno's release, in June 2009, a protest began during E3 2009 in Los Angeles to oppose the game. Around 20 protesters, claiming to be from a church in Ventura County, held up signs that called the game sacrilegious and labeled it possibly insensitive to people's beliefs. Protesters even went as far as calling EA the anti-christ.[21] This led to EA being accused by many people of staging the fiasco to use it as a marketing hoax. A few days later, it was officially confirmed by EA spokesman Tammy Scachter that they had hired people to protest the game and that there was no actual protest.[22][23] However, in the aftermath of this revelation, several Christian bloggers protested to this, calling it an "anti-Christian" stunt.[24][25]

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I always pick shield drop staff

I also pick the slowest XP gain

I live for pain

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Matt on controls is a 30 episode difference, and I wish I wasn't exaggerating.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Especially considering some of the maps in the first game.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Matt on controls means wasting whole episodes on bosses. Woolie on controls means every map takes 1.3-1.8 times longer to go through.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Matt on controls means wasting whole episodes on bosses. Woolie on controls means every map takes 1.3-1.8 times longer to go through.

Matt beat FFX in 55 parts

Woolie beat Tokyo Mirage Sessions in 83 parts and KOTOR in 99

I think the trade-off is worth it

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Matt's gonna probably struggle at a few bosses like Trickmaster and Stealth Sneak, and Riku 2 but he'll probably be fine with everything else. This is a game where a lot of bosses can be beaten by just being aggressive as humanly possible and backing off to heal occasionally.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Matt is definitely the better choice for controlling an RPG. Also keeps him engaged. KH1 is kinda bland tho, but it's a bunch of Disney movies so you can always riff on that.

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
ive heard tokyo mirage sessions was actually a super good lp, can anyone confirm or deny this

for the record i love anime poo poo so if anything the games concept is a point in its favor

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

It's not a well paced LP because Woolie is in control of dungeon path-finding

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Oh, man, DmC's tone is...it's so early 00s cool. Holy poo poo.

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
Imagine if DmC had 2000s pop punk music instead of dubstep

It might actually be the best game of all time

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Tae posted:

It's not a well paced LP because Woolie is in control of dungeon path-finding

Also Woolie is bad enough at figuring out (and remembering) elemental weaknesses in Persona. Adding the Weapon Triangle and flyers being weak to bows and his brain just breaks.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Charlie Bobson posted:

ive heard tokyo mirage sessions was actually a super good lp, can anyone confirm or deny this

for the record i love anime poo poo so if anything the games concept is a point in its favor

It's a good podcast LP, the stuff they say is funny and it hides the really bad tunnel vision they get in it. It gets better once Woolie just grinds offscreen, but then actually watching it is just him brute forcing encounters and then puzzles because he doesn't learn about the "this skill shows where traps are" ability until after the final part in the final dungeon where it would be useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Charlie Bobson posted:

I watched barely any of it but I get the impression that it's "good" in the sense that they were enjoying themselves for pretty much the entire time, even though it took them forever to progress and they still didn't understand the game by the end.