Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
So I'm curious if anyone more culturally literate than me can offer a hand with this. In one of the two Parts Unknown specials this year they talked about how episodes were usually homaging a work or style. I wondered if anything specific was being referenced in that last episode, because drat was I into that one.

Also if there was a source that had a guide or list to these, but I didn't find anything searching around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

DivisionPost posted:

The Good Cop has been cancelled by Netflix disappointing two fans everywhere.

not surprised, the fantasy genre is dying

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Dogs, a show entirely about dogs, comes out on Netflix tomorrow. It's my most anticipated Netflix show of the year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pLCmLgjiJ8

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mu Zeta posted:

Dogs, a show entirely about dogs, comes out on Netflix tomorrow. It's my most anticipated Netflix show of the year.

like 20 seconds in this is going to make me cry a lot isn't it?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bring back old gbs posted:

not surprised, the fantasy genre is dying

hahahah

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Coming in January from Netflix, Shrubbery

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Anyone remember the syfy show The Lost Room? I remember it being good and disappointed that it didn't spawn a full series. I smoked a lot of pot back then. Was it actually good?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Croatoan posted:

Anyone remember the syfy show The Lost Room? I remember it being good and disappointed that it didn't spawn a full series. I smoked a lot of pot back then. Was it actually good?

The Lost Room is great.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm doing emergency housing for a badly abused dog for the next few days, and I think this might finish me off.

Lets just say I'm glad my flooring is all tile, and I don't have carpets.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

EL BROMANCE posted:

I'm doing emergency housing for a badly abused dog for the next few days, and I think this might finish me off.

Lets just say I'm glad my flooring is all tile, and I don't have carpets.

Gross dude, but good on you. I couldn't do that.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

man thanks to whoever reminded me to watch the new 12 oz special. It was great.

And lol it totally changed the way I saw the rest of the show.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

GreenNight posted:

Gross dude, but good on you. I couldn't do that.

Yeah it's a sad situation, and he came from a kill shelter with next to no info. I found a basic doctors report, which was more revealing than the info they put down so we had some idea of what to expect at least. It's really sad when the weight of a tumor hanging off a dog weighs more than the rest of the animal, somehow it doesn't seem to bother him. I just think the poor guy doesn't know any better and is somehow in really good spirits. With any luck, he'll have an incredible turn around and be a really good and healthy dog in the future.

I literally had a clothes peg on my nose this morning, though.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Croatoan posted:

Lost Room is great. I was actually browsing iTunes about a month ago and saw it in HD and bought it. It was as good as I remember.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
patriot season 2 was great

freez muthefeckka!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Holy poo poo I just saw a young Bob odenkirk in Seinfeld, he's almost unrecognizable

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I'm halfway through episode 7 of patriot and I don't want it to end. Season 2 has been amazing.

I love the tighter focus, some of the convoluded sideplots in Season 1 that seemed to be meaningless until you found out they weren't 3 episodes later, whilst cute and appreciated from an overall storytelling perspective, made the show feel a little bloated at times.

I also love that all the awesome bit part one-off characters from season one weren't one offs and got their own storylines.

And those episode title screens. Wow. Does anyone have any Hi-Res screenshots of each of those? Or even a high quality .GIF album of them?

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

Holy poo poo I just saw a young Bob odenkirk in Seinfeld, he's almost unrecognizable

I love the early 90s appearances of the likes of Odenkirk and Cranston in Seinfeld.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Looten Plunder posted:

I'm halfway through episode 7 of patriot and I don't want it to end. Season 2 has been amazing.

I love the tighter focus, some of the convoluded sideplots in Season 1 that seemed to be meaningless until you found out they weren't 3 episodes later, whilst cute and appreciated from an overall storytelling perspective, made the show feel a little bloated at times.

I also love that all the awesome bit part one-off characters from season one weren't one offs and got their own storylines.

And those episode title screens. Wow. Does anyone have any Hi-Res screenshots of each of those? Or even a high quality .GIF album of them?

I'm actually on the opposite end of that, I love season 2 but I'm rewatching season 1 and I wish there were more tangential side stories, but I guess their episode order got cut down and they tightened it a bit.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Looten Plunder posted:

I love the early 90s appearances of the likes of Odenkirk and Cranston in Seinfeld.

Bryan Cranston is nearly unrecognizable in his first role!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Looten Plunder posted:

The creator posted the first four on his Twitter: https://twitter.com/StevConrad

Remind me tomorrow and I’ll make my own screenshots of them from the 1080ps

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

hope and vaseline posted:

I'm actually on the opposite end of that, I love season 2 but I'm rewatching season 1 and I wish there were more tangential side stories, but I guess their episode order got cut down and they tightened it a bit.

I think I agree with this, although I don’t think it affects the quality of the season. One example is the French shopkeeper - if we still had the pacing from season 1, it would have had the opening few minutes of the episode be dealing with his troubles and him applying for the firearm license, and then come back to it later, instead of us only finding out about it all via song. Like the Jaywick Sands scenes in s1.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

I think I agree with this, although I don’t think it affects the quality of the season. One example is the French shopkeeper - if we still had the pacing from season 1, it would have had the opening few minutes of the episode be dealing with his troubles and him applying for the firearm license, and then come back to it later, instead of us only finding out about it all via song. Like the Jaywick Sands scenes in s1.

Or even worse, he'd meet the french shopkeeper with no backstory whatsoever and then there would be a 30 sec scene making a police report and the first 30 minutes of the next episode would be his entire backstory climaxing with that scene. Like the puppeteer from Season 1.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Looten Plunder posted:

Or even worse, he'd meet the french shopkeeper with no backstory whatsoever and then there would be a 30 sec scene making a police report and the first 30 minutes of the next episode would be his entire backstory climaxing with that scene. Like the puppeteer from Season 1.

I liked how season 1 did that stuff though. Like the bit where we see how Muslim Cool Rick lives just like Cool Rick and that Muslim John's dad is just like John's dad

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I did too. Especially in retrospect, but it's stuff like that that makes it really hard to introduce the show to friends and family. I don't mind the backstory stuff, but the seemingly random stuff without context before you get the backstory can be really confusing. The backstories also halt a lot of forward momentum/story progression.

Then again. gently caress other people.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The only thing in s2 I don’t really like is the visuals for the opening credits. I mean they’re ok I guess but sorta generic. But I suppose they’re less opaque than the first season’s which were just kinda “wtf what has this got to do with the show at all” at first, but I grew to like them.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Escobarbarian posted:

The only thing in s2 I don’t really like is the visuals for the opening credits. I mean they’re ok I guess but sorta generic. But I suppose they’re less opaque than the first season’s which were just kinda “wtf what has this got to do with the show at all” at first, but I grew to like them.

...how is home movies of Cool Rick and John inscrutable? To me that opening perfectly captured the show's major themes, especially at the end when Young John shoots the rifle

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Well yeah but the primary thrust of the show is not “two brothers who are friends”. When that sequence opened up for me was when I realised it was most likely their dad behind the camera filming them doing dangerous poo poo and not preventing it, which is far more suitable to the show’s main themes.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Escobarbarian posted:

Well yeah but the primary thrust of the show is not “two brothers who are friends"

I disagree, I think that (along with the greater themes of family) are absolutely the core of the show.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I finished the second season of Patriot, and it was great as expected, but I'm not really sure where it stands compared to the first season. I thought it was darker but also kind of goofy sometimes in a way that didn't really appeal to me. I did get a little tired of all of the very convenient coincidences. Also, I sort of missed Milwaukee and the boring pipe stuff. But overall, it was still cool and it's just a unique show, so I appreciate it even if not everything worked for me. I'm assuming there isn't going to be a season three at this point. Both due to the very long wait for this one and it's lack of attention, and the way it ended. That seemed pretty final to me.

Best parts: Shooting and releasing the accordion boy, the song about the grocery store owner, "the last time I did cocaine was when that guy was talking", the scene with the four penises, the fatass detective and his last split-second appearance, and Rob Saperstein! I still think my overall favorite scene from the show is either the really long rock-paper-scissors battle from the first season, or when Birdbath tells his scary story on the hunting trip. Birdbath is cool, I'm glad he got more attention this time around.

wizardofloneliness fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Nov 16, 2018

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
They definitely set up for a season 3 with the Leslie stuff in the finale, but otherwise tried to make it feel as done as they could. I’ve already made my peace with the idea that this will be the end of it but I really really would love one more to finish it off.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Croatoan posted:

Yeah this show was great. I'm glad it was just a mini though. That said, it more so than most other shows could probably expand and still be pretty decent

Looten Plunder posted:

Cranston was in several episodes actually. Having never watched MitM and knowing him mostly from BB, it's easy to forget that he's got such comedy chops

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

precision posted:

Yeah, but Elaine is still a classic character.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

END ME SCOOB posted:

So I'm curious if anyone more culturally literate than me can offer a hand with this. In one of the two Parts Unknown specials this year they talked about how episodes were usually homaging a work or style. I wondered if anything specific was being referenced in that last episode, because drat was I into that one.

Also if there was a source that had a guide or list to these, but I didn't find anything searching around.

Not sure I'm well versed enough to identify an exact film, if it was one. It looked to me like it was simply harkening to the bootleg VHS days of the 80s.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Pretty sure no one cares, but I've just been subjected to the newest Murphy Brown revival episode, and good poo poo this show is terrible. No loving idea what subtlety is, Murphy is always right, every joke is delivered with the gentleness of a sledgehammer, and for a show that spends so much time hyping up how much Murphy Brown is an incredible, hard hitting reporter, they're too scared to name Fox News or the like.

I AGREE with a lot of the show's views, but this is just rear end.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I think I read it’s a dead certain to be cancelled.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Lmao I wish I weren't on my phone so I could screenshot the fact that the AHS thread currently has 666 unread posts for me

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

fitting considering this season

hail satan

(it's good)

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

precision posted:

Lmao I wish I weren't on my phone so I could screenshot the fact that the AHS thread currently has 666 unread posts for me

...can't your phone take screenshots?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Medullah posted:

Bryan Cranston is nearly unrecognizable in his first role!

Man, he clearly had work done. What a loving sellout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

asecondduck posted:

...can't your phone take screenshots?

Maybe. I've never had occasion to do so.