Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Ak Gara posted:

New base coming along nicely.

First vertical stack is water to Oxygen > Rotary Condensentrator, water to Hydrogen > Rotary Condensentrator > RS Storage
Second is Lithium Dust > Lithium Gas > Rotary Condensentrator > RS Storage
Third is Heavy Water > Deuterium > Rotary Condensentrator > RS Storage
(I find spreading the production out helps with lag)

Starting from the far bottom is my Heavy Water production, then it's Liquid Lithium > Rotary Condensentrator > Gaseous Lithium > Solar Neutron Activator > Rotary Condensentrator > RS Storage

It makes 500 buckets of Liquid Tritium per second. Almost ready to use my Mekanism fusion reactor as my current power demands are experiencing brownouts.

I'm pretty sure that you, personally, are the reason that mod makers no longer advertise "0 lag!"

That's super cool though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
The reactor lives!

Feeding it nothing but D-T. Putting out over 22 million RF/t. (the equivalent of setting fuel rate to 250 if it let you) Current rate of D-T storage, increasing by 5 buckets per second.

Timer set to 1 tick pulse aimed at gas tank.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

here's a handy tip for increasing lag: you can use a mechanical user + acceleration wand on another mechanical user + acceleration wand

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

here's a handy tip for increasing lag: you can use a mechanical user + acceleration wand on another mechanical user + acceleration wand

Can you face them toward each other? I'd try it but I don't want my computer to spontaneously combust.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

MaliciousOnion posted:

Can you face them toward each other? I'd try it but I don't want my computer to spontaneously combust.

good question, i never tried that

at that rate you could use phantomfaces or ender porcupines to really whip things into a frenzy

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
That Ultima alchemy pack is pretty fun so far. Sunk about 4 hours in today. Love the wacky methods of obtaining stuff. I needed marble for EU2 machine blocks, so I make black pigment from charcoal, then wash it multiple times in the smeltery to make white pigment, which crafts into diorite that smelts into marble. Like, okay why the gently caress not.

It would really benefit from a quest book, but the framing of the 'story' is that it's a magical final exam, but it's open book so you have a "JEI spell". It could use a little more of an intro nudge, though.

Literally every Skyblock needs to give you infinite wood and cobble from the start. It's refreshing for a pack to say "come explore my features" instead of "sieve for three hours you loving piece of poo poo".

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

SynthesisAlpha posted:

That Ultima alchemy pack is pretty fun so far. Sunk about 4 hours in today. Love the wacky methods of obtaining stuff. I needed marble for EU2 machine blocks, so I make black pigment from charcoal, then wash it multiple times in the smeltery to make white pigment, which crafts into diorite that smelts into marble. Like, okay why the gently caress not.

It would really benefit from a quest book, but the framing of the 'story' is that it's a magical final exam, but it's open book so you have a "JEI spell". It could use a little more of an intro nudge, though.

Literally every Skyblock needs to give you infinite wood and cobble from the start. It's refreshing for a pack to say "come explore my features" instead of "sieve for three hours you loving piece of poo poo".

Check the recipes, you can make an infinite smoothstone barrel too.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

So I'm playing Sky Adventures and have set up autocrafting, mostly for IC2 related stuff like circuits and such that I'm making a bunch of for various things. Is there any way to craft in AE2 using fluids stored in fluid drives? I have a setup that will make the coolant and import it to a fluid disk, but I can't find any way to then craft the coolant cells using tin plates and 1000mb of stored fluid. This puts a crimp in increasing my UU-Matter production because I have three new recyclers that I need to toss speed upgrades in.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

taiyoko posted:

So I'm playing Sky Adventures and have set up autocrafting, mostly for IC2 related stuff like circuits and such that I'm making a bunch of for various things. Is there any way to craft in AE2 using fluids stored in fluid drives? I have a setup that will make the coolant and import it to a fluid disk, but I can't find any way to then craft the coolant cells using tin plates and 1000mb of stored fluid. This puts a crimp in increasing my UU-Matter production because I have three new recyclers that I need to toss speed upgrades in.

No. You can export fluid, but you'll basically have to work around a setup that keeps a fluid topped off, rather than one that meters it out precisely when needed.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Minecraft Modding: Sieve for three hours you loving piece of poo poo.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
The fact that skyblocks are the most popular modpacks in a game that can generate a play area eight times the size of the earth utterly loving mystifies me

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Eox posted:

The fact that skyblocks are the most popular modpacks in a game that can generate a play area eight times the size of the earth utterly loving mystifies me
I'd hazard a guess that a lot of it is because people look for mods when they're tired of the base game, so something like skyblocks, which completely change the nature of the game, may seem the freshest. It's a big departure from vanilla Minecraft in a way some quality of life mods and a few new biomes can't be, plus it taps into that skinner-box internal sense of gradual progress and expansion.

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.
I have an Enigmatica 2 Expert server and it runs fine while we are on playing, people can be on it all day with no issues.
After everyone logs out for a few hours the server starts lagging badly. Any ideas on what would cause that?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Depends posted:

I have an Enigmatica 2 Expert server and it runs fine while we are on playing, people can be on it all day with no issues.
After everyone logs out for a few hours the server starts lagging badly. Any ideas on what would cause that?

Are you doing regular restarts? Minecraft leaks memory like a sieve.

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Are you doing regular restarts? Minecraft leaks memory like a sieve.

I have to restart each day to fix it but this is the first pack I've had on there that has required daily restarts. My Craft of the Titans 2 server has been up and running for about 3 weeks since it's last restart with no problems at all.
The weirdest part was that it only happens when no one is online, the restart will fix it and it'll run smoothly until the next time everyone has been offline for a couple hours.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Depends posted:

I have to restart each day to fix it but this is the first pack I've had on there that has required daily restarts. My Craft of the Titans 2 server has been up and running for about 3 weeks since it's last restart with no problems at all.
The weirdest part was that it only happens when no one is online, the restart will fix it and it'll run smoothly until the next time everyone has been offline for a couple hours.

It might be a memory leak caused by a player logging off? It's hard to diagnose a specific problem, as a modpack has hundreds of mods by as many authors, and each mod could potentially introduce a new and exciting problem. Most servers I see actually do multiple restarts a day (like one every 12h or even one every 6h) done automatically by a cron job or something.

In any case, if the restarts are helping, then it's most likely a memory leak issue. Nothing you can do on your end but regular restarts. Minecraft's just a hacked together mess at best.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Depends posted:

Does anybody have some chunks loaded?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Eox posted:

Skyblocks mean there's no point in taking an hour to hunt for an interesting spot for your base.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

reignonyourparade posted:

Skyblocks mean there's no point in taking an hour to hunt for an interesting spot for your base.

and then another hour flattening terrain so you have enough room for all the widgets you wanna build

both skyblock and traditional packs have varying resource collection schemes so i won't try to draw comparisons there

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Skyblock is a rigid progression where you don’t have to think and just need to follow the challenges. Way less mental overhead.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Pollyanna posted:

Skyblock is a rigid progression where you don’t have to think and just need to follow the challenges. Way less mental overhead.

boy i tell ya whut if you want that to not be the case, play ultimate alchemy

it has zero hand holding for progression, half the pack is JEI spelunking

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Depends posted:

That's not surprising. Not only is Enigmatica 2 way bigger - so even in normal circumstances it'll bump up against memory limits far faster - but more importantly, it has way more (and different) mods. Each mod can potentially introduce memory leaks. Most mods will introduce memory leaks of some kind, partially because modders are often not professional developers, and partially because they're plugging into an unofficial and modder-created API that is imperfect and poorly documented and built on top of a disaster of a codebase (Minecraft). Most of these leaks will be small - a JSON object here, a POJO there, so they add up pretty slowly. But sometimes there will be a big leak - poor network handling, threads that don't get closed properly, leaking chunk data, leaking textures, etc. Those add up really fast.

When you have 250 mods, you will have potentially dozens of small leaks, and lots of room for big leaks to sneak in unnoticed. Packs like that will always necessitate super frequent restarts - if you have several people playing and all moving around the world building their own bases that's just going to make leaks more frequent. It's completely normal to need to restart a server like that every 6h.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

reignonyourparade posted:

If I don't find a good spot in 10 minutes, I delete the map and make a new one.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Literally me too though. I’ve killed maps within a few minutes just because I walked around for a while and didn’t find any features that were worth building a house into. Sheer cliffs, thick forests, and deserts, fuckin whoopee. Talk about boring.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Skyblocks always appealed to me for two big reasons: not having to worry about hostile mobs & being able to automate and scale any type of resource production infinitely.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Evil Mastermind posted:

Honestly I'm at the point where I just play skyblock maps on normal worlds, or at least on a sky lands generator that makes floating islands. I also would consider doing flatlands.

I like the idea of building everything up from nothing and having to generate your resources, but gently caress making buildings and stuff is tedious as poo poo. My current base on Enigmatica Expert Skyblock 2 is great: started with a prefab house, dug down into this floating island and spread around. Didn't get any super rare resources in there and didn't skip any progression, but I also wasn't falling off the loving world every few minutes.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Also with skyblocks, you don't have to laboriously mobproof everything, because you just build with half slabs and nothing can spawn on them. That being said, there is an argument for playing the game in peaceful mode if you find that to be a plus.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Following a modpack’s tech progression treadmill and noting else is like the least interesting thing to me. You gotta have interesting things you can do with that poo poo, not just have it for the sake of having it.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
Is there any good way to search for a modpack based on the specific mods in it? Like if I want to find a pack with mods A, B and C but not X, Y and Z? Some friends and I are thinking about starting up another modded Minecraft server; we used to play Overgrown but it's stuck at 1.10 and quite frankly a little overburdened with crap. We want to find a pack with the Lost Cities worldgen, quests, Mekanism, Tinkers, etc. but it's a pain to look at packs, parsing through the list of mods they contain before finding that it either misses something we really like or has some extra horseshit we don't want bolted onto it.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Falcon2001 posted:

Honestly I'm at the point where I just play skyblock maps on normal worlds, or at least on a sky lands generator that makes floating islands. I also would consider doing flatlands.

I like the idea of building everything up from nothing and having to generate your resources, but gently caress making buildings and stuff is tedious as poo poo. My current base on Enigmatica Expert Skyblock 2 is great: started with a prefab house, dug down into this floating island and spread around. Didn't get any super rare resources in there and didn't skip any progression, but I also wasn't falling off the loving world every few minutes.
Yeah, most skyblocks would be improved by being superflats, at the least.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Vib Rib posted:

Yeah, most skyblocks would be improved by being superflats, at the least.

I am a huge fan of the Project Ozone 2 'Skylands' setup that just generated floating islands of dirt, more than superflat (which just turns into a mob spawning nightmare). I can't quite find a mod the replicates it perfectly with JUST dirt (I assume I've got to fiddle with some other things) but it's still my preferred setup.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Would be cool if there was a tiny mod that added a worthless full block material that prevented mob spawns and was easy to mine, for the express purpose of filling a superflat world for a skyblock-ish experience without the fall into the void part.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Falcon2001 posted:

more than superflat (which just turns into a mob spawning nightmare)

I prefer this over traditional skyblocks, gives it a "Dawn of the Dead" feel.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Would be cool if there was a tiny mod that added a worthless full block material that prevented mob spawns and was easy to mine, for the express purpose of filling a superflat world for a skyblock-ish experience without the fall into the void part.

Like glass?

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

Re: World chat. I've been learning how to use World Painter to make a map for a server I play on, and it has been a trip. The goal is to make a floating continent and it's only about 40% of the way done, but it's been a hoot making actual watersheds with small streams dropping into bigger rivers and playing with vegetation mixes.

You can get away with microbiomes like lush river valleys flowing through a volcanic savannah.

WP has some cool cave tools too, though making anything particularly complex requires using a bunch of different layers painted over each other. Here's a cavern with some added lights to give some visual depth.

EDIT: Few pictures of a volcanic island that was fun to make. The island has a progression of dormancy to activity, with various stages of ecological succession visible. A lot of the textures are WIP, as some of the plants are 16x and others are 32x. Another poster here (Enzer) is working on improved textures.

Volcano. Strategic magma blocks have been used for a steam effect where the lava enters the ocean!

An area in the early stages of succession.

Looking towards a more established part of the island.

The forest floor is thick with ferns and black sand.

A cinder cone.

Priapus Unbound fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Nov 16, 2018

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

The Forgiving Void mod will keep you from dying if/when you fall off.

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

A modpack that does this pretty well is Exoria. If you have ever played Regrowth, Exoria has a similar vibe of creating a lush magitech base in a desolate hellscape. I've played it pretty hard for the past couple of days and it fits your description to a T, even to the part where hostile mobs don't spawn on the ash that covers most of the world.

If you try it out, some things I've learned:

*Ash particles are removed when particles are set to minimal. If particles are at any other setting, even ashes hidden under a layer of other blocks will produce visible particles.
*The days are short and the nights are long, but that only matters for plants since the only mobs that spawn on the surface are passive fairies. Once your plants are lit up, night doesn't really matter.
*Occasionally fairies will catch on fire or suffocate in ceilings, but they only take damage from your weapons. I didn't fill in a hole the entire way and a fairy spawned inside. The resulting racket drove me nuts until I found it and hit it with an axe. That's when I learned fairies drop a sweet alternative to torches, so now my farms are lit up with fairy magic.
*If you have logs and flint, you can make shakes. Shakes look pretty good and are a furnace fuel that is slightly MORE efficient than charcoal without having to make a charcoal pit. The first thing you'll actually NEED charcoal for is non-copper metal refinement.
*Remove the 'Vanilla Immersion' mod asap because it makes crafting tables super fiddly and only make one thing at a time. That sucks.
*Make the 'Bane of ____' tools when you can (there is a quest for them), because they rule for basic things like cobble acquisition and tree clearing. Tinker's is in this pack, but only for a few limited items. Smeltery controllers appear to be off limits (at least in the early game that I'm in, they might unlock later?) but these tools are unbreakable utility tools. They're also soulbound if that matters, but I always turn on keepInventory. The pick is particularly great because cobble has to be crafted from rocks and clay at first, and most tools even mine cobble as rocks, but the pick mines full blocks of cobble from a generator which is a goddamn lifesaver when all you want is cobble to do some landscaping. It mines cobble you place as rocks, which is fine because rocks are needed to craft gravel.
*The rain will poison you so you'll spend a lot of time at half a heart. It's not really a big deal since fighting is almost nonexistent. I heard some scary noises underground but haven't fought anything yet.
*The least painful form of storage to manufacture early on are immersive craft shelves. The mod that allows you to shift+right click on some things to pick them up and move them around is part of the pack, so shelves can be easily rearranged. Bibliocraft is also part of the pack, and the shelves from that mod are nice for things like tools that you want to switch out frequently.

Priapus Unbound fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Nov 16, 2018

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Honestly a superflat waterworld would be better than a void, even if not by much. At least then building out and down isn't quite as obnoxious, though you would have to get sponge access early to build rooms at lower levels.

Willheim Wordsworth
Dec 29, 2008

Priapus Unbound posted:

The rain will poison you so you'll spend a lot of time at half a heart. It's not really a big deal since fighting is almost nonexistent. I heard some scary noises underground but haven't fought anything yet.

There's a grue that kills you if you're underground and not near light, not a real mob but much like the effect in the Deep Dark dimension from Extra Utilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Does anybody know a way to clear out a large area of bedrock? I think AE2 spatial storage won't touch them and I don't want to go around with a hammer for this much of a space.