Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Is it really a first amendment issue if Trump bans a reporter from his press conferences? Like does the press have a right to be there? Did Obama have to let in reporters from Breitbart or Infowars or whatever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I'm pretty sure its turned out that smokers are actually 'good' for per capita healthcare costs because of the fact that they don't live to become elderly.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Crow Jane posted:

I'm all for three of those things, but it really depends on what's in the vape. Does that make me a centrist :ohdear:?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

The Pussy Boss posted:

Is it really a first amendment issue if Trump bans a reporter from his press conferences? Like does the press have a right to be there? Did Obama have to let in reporters from Breitbart or Infowars or whatever?

Good questions: yes; yes; maybe.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

The Pussy Boss posted:

Motive matters. Actions the government is legally allowed to take in a vacuum can be illegal if done for the express purpose of penalizing people for their first amendment rights.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

reignonyourparade posted:

I'm pretty sure its turned out that smokers are actually 'good' for per capita healthcare costs because of the fact that they don't live to become elderly.

yeah, basically they don't reach that old age period where we spend a ton of money just keeping you alive and comfortable.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

So it's increasingly clear a bunch of white conservatives ARE trying to take out Pelosi and they've cynically decided that Fudge is the most-center non-white-guy they can get

https://twitter.com/MEPFuller/status/1063123384710651904

eke out fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Nov 15, 2018

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

I love the subtext in the subsequent tweet:

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1063112336666492930

"We're used to getting ridiculous requests from the White House, so we thought this was another one of those"

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

eke out posted:

So it's increasingly clear a bunch of white conservatives ARE trying to take out Pelosi and they've cynically decided that Fudge is the most-center non-white-guy they can get

so they are trying to dethrone her because they don't want to use their super majority because they are cowardly centrists(at best), gently caress these guys.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Hey Willa and other posters, I think the healthcare chat is interesting but it's dense and technical-oriented and it would probably be better if you kept discussing it in the healthcare thread. I've enjoyed reading it but it's gone on for pages without any change in positions really.

Thanks. :)

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

quote:

When she first raised the possibility of running for speaker in an interview with the Cleveland Plain Dealer, it was quickly pointed out that Fudge is one of two House Democrats who has refused to co-sponsor the Equality Act, which would extend civil rights protections to people on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity.

Fudge said her stance has nothing to do with opposition to those issues, but is due to lawmakers opening up the Civil Rights Act to extend those protections. “If it were a standalone, I’d vote for it today,” she said, challenging people to find one vote where she has stood against the LGBTQ community. Fudge also said she has always supported marriage equality.

“The president of the United States is a racist, in my opinion,” Fudge said. “If we open up the Civil Rights Act, it’s like opening up Pandora’s box.”

Asked why the Civil Rights Act wouldn’t be an appropriate place for those protections, she said she just disagreed with that idea. “I believe that, if we open the Civil Rights Act ― which basically could be done at any time ― but if we open it, I think we open ourselves to problems that we don’t intend.”

this seems like a nonsense argument to me, given that there's not really such thing as "opening up" a bill in a way that others could exploit, and the Civil Rights Act is the simplest vehicle for gay workplace protections because workplace protections exist in it already for race and sex and you only need to add a few words

additionally, it sends a clear message that we are treating gay rights as equal to other core civil rights protections

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Doctor Butts posted:

So is this in spite of, or as a result of ACA?

The 'even when they have insurance' part makes it seem likely that ACA doesn't have much to do with it.

The ACA normalized extremely high out-of-pocket costs for insurance "coverage" as necessary "skin in the game" so yes, the ACA and the Democratic Party have everything to do with it.

It's wonderful for those who qualify for the single-payer component (expanded Medicaid) and for those who were medically underwritten prior to the ACA's passage, but it pretty much sucks for everyone else--especially those who can't afford the new normal of stratospheric out-of-pocket costs.

Tell those women who've been diagnosed with breast cancer, but can't afford treatment, what lucky duckies they are to now have insurance they can't use, rather than no insurance at all.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

eke out posted:

this seems like a nonsense argument to me, given that there's not really such thing as "opening up" a bill in a way that others could exploit, and the Civil Rights Act is the simplest vehicle for gay workplace protections because workplace protections exist in it already for race and sex and you only need to add a few words

additionally, it sends a clear message that we are treating gay rights as equal to other core civil rights protections

It seems like a nonsense argument, because it is a nonsense argument.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Doctor Butts posted:

So is this in spite of, or as a result of ACA?

The 'even when they have insurance' part makes it seem likely that ACA doesn't have much to do with it.

A huge portion of the ACA was dedicated to general health care reforms, such as changing how medicare reimbursements worked and what things medicare would/would not penalize or reward hospitals for, that was explicitly intended to reform the incentives in the market to slow the growth of health care costs. Willa Rodgers knows this, and is lying about it. It basically packed in every idea anyone had about structural reforms that would help with the growth of health care costs.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Lightning Knight posted:

Hey Willa and other posters, I think the healthcare chat is interesting but it's dense and technical-oriented and it would probably be better if you kept discussing it in the healthcare thread. I've enjoyed reading it but it's gone on for pages without any change in positions really.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3812639

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Republican gun lovers are losing their goddamn minds over this.

https://www.reginfo.gov/public/do/eAgendaViewRule?pubId=201810&RIN=1140-AA52

The DOJ just issued a ruling proposal(not approved yet):

quote:

The Department of Justice is issuing a rulemaking that would interpret the statutory definition of machinegun in the National Firearms Act of 1934 and Gun Control Act of 1968 to clarify whether certain devices, commonly known as bump-fire stocks, fall within that definition.

quote:

This rule is intended to clarify that the statutory definition of machinegun includes certain devices (i.e., bump-stock-type devices) that, when affixed to a firearm, allow that firearm to fire automatically with a single function of the trigger, such that they are subject to regulation under the National Firearms Act (NFA) and the Gun Control Act (GCA). The rule will amend 27 CFR 447.11, 478.11, and 479.11 to clarify that bump-stock-type devices are machineguns as defined by the NFA and GCA because such devices allow a shooter of a semiautomatic firearm to initiate a continuous firing cycle with a single pull of the trigger.

Specifically, these devices convert an otherwise semiautomatic firearm into a machinegun by functioning as a self-acting or self-regulating mechanism that harnesses the recoil energy of the semiautomatic firearm in a manner that allows the trigger to reset and continue firing without additional physical manipulation of the trigger by the shooter.
This essentially states that if you use a bump stock your gun is now a machine gun and it is illegal.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

eke out posted:

Yeah, this is a post-hoc rationalization and it's not believable in the least.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

evilweasel posted:

there are significant issues with high-deductible plans but the cost curve "bent" with all plans

The cost curve "bent" because people have spurned care because of high out-of-pocket costs, not due to slowing the rate of increase in unregulated provider, pharma or insurance pricing.

That's the most significant issue with high-deductible plans: People can't afford to use them, even when they're seriously ill.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

eke out posted:

Let me translate: "I believe that ladder would look much better up here where I am."

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Skex posted:

I'm saying that the source of the assertion that such an agreement exists is a person who is employed by the industry opposed to the implementation of any government controls on the industry and has a vested financial interest in pushing a narrative that undermines the people wanting that government control.

Just because Daschle was a Senate leader doesn't mean that he was a good Democrat. And it doesn't make him a credible source.

So I think one of the fundamental sources of disagreement in this thread (and similar discussions) is related to whether it makes sense to default to an assumption of good intentions/goals on the part of Democrats (and require absolute hard proof otherwise), or whether the reverse should be the case (requiring proof of good intentions/goals).

My argument is that the (very recent) history of the Democratic Party absolutely does not warrant assuming that they are making genuine attempts to pass left-wing legislation. You need only go back as far as the Clinton administration to see some very explicitly bad stuff (like welfare reform or the crime bill), and later you can also see things like Democrats voting for the Iraq War, not supporting gay marriage, Obama's open desire to achieve the "Grand Bargain," etc. It is incredibly naive to act like it's somehow being overly cynical to assume that maybe - just maybe - most of these people are not secretly super progressive.

It would be one thing if the history of the Democratic Party warranted assuming good will until proven otherwise, but it just doesn't. These are clearly people who we should demand prove that they actually share our goals and intentions.

Skex posted:

Most Dems aren't bad, they are just human and are thus imperfect stupid apes barely out of the agrarian age. Some of them are bad others are naive or just think that different things will work. And most are well intentioned but various of stupid.

It is dumb to blindly assuming good intentions on the part of people with power. Democratic politicians are mostly very wealthy people; they do not need you to protect them. And that's not even getting into the fact that a very significant percent are directly responsible for war crimes through voting for the Iraq War (or other similarly harmful things, like supporting/funding other violence abroad, supporting Israel, etc).

Someone who is old enough to remember that stuff as basic as "supporting gay marriage" is only a very recent change doesn't really have any excuse for having this level of blind positivism towards the party.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Nov 15, 2018

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Lightning Knight posted:

Got it!

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Thank you, Willa. :)

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Republican gun lovers are losing their goddamn minds over this.

https://www.reginfo.gov/public/do/eAgendaViewRule?pubId=201810&RIN=1140-AA52

The DOJ just issued a ruling proposal(not approved yet):

This seems significant, is this another thing Sessions was blocking?

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

eke out posted:

So a bunch of blue dogs are trying to drag the caucus right. I guess there was always a chance of it happening since they dont seem to mind conservative dems.

What are the chances it works?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Munkeymon posted:

Let me translate: "I believe that ladder would look much better up here where I am."

yeah, I just wanted to explain a little for people less informed on this why that argument she clearly invented to sound reasonable is Actually loving Bullshit

i'll admit I know very little about Fudge but making up some bullshit to explain why you won't support gay rights makes me immediately assume she's not even close to progressive. and that's reinforced by the regressives that support her

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

https://twitter.com/ec_schneider/status/1063121259674902528

Chalk another one up for the D's.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Lightning Knight posted:

This seems significant, is this another thing Sessions was blocking?

It's something that some conservative was trying to slow-walk, but I don't know if it was Sessions. Trump demanded it after the Vegas shooting, because it turns out that there's not actually a constituency that supports legalized machine guns through a loophole, but there's a hidden trick here. Trump - and Republicans - demanded that the DOJ issue this regulation because it's not actually clear that this regulation is a defensible interpretation of the underlying statutes. Congress could trivially pass such a law that would withstand a legal attack. It is unclear that this regulation will survive a legal attack - thus allowing republicans to claim they did something, without actually pissing off the NRA because they chose the way that would fail and that didn't require them to vote.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

evilweasel posted:

It is unclear that this regulation will survive a legal attack - thus allowing republicans to claim they did something, without actually pissing off the NRA because they chose the way that would fail and that didn't require them to vote.

Ah. That seems... surprisingly clever?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Meatball posted:

So a bunch of blue dogs are trying to drag the caucus right. I guess there was always a chance of it happening since they dont seem to mind conservative dems.

What are the chances it works?

They are very unlikely to get their actual candidate to have the support of a majority of the Dem caucus. But they don't really care, their goal is toppling Pelosi because they've bought into the Republican propaganda about her and/or because they think their constituents have.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

evilweasel posted:

It's something that some conservative was trying to slow-walk, but I don't know if it was Sessions. Trump demanded it after the Vegas shooting, because it turns out that there's not actually a constituency that supports legalized machine guns through a loophole, but there's a hidden trick here. Trump - and Republicans - demanded that the DOJ issue this regulation because it's not actually clear that this regulation is a defensible interpretation of the underlying statutes. Congress could trivially pass such a law that would withstand a legal attack. It is unclear that this regulation will survive a legal attack - thus allowing republicans to claim they did something, without actually pissing off the NRA because they chose the way that would fail and that didn't require them to vote.

yeah i think the textualist argument against just saying the two Acts inherently include bump stocks when they define machine guns is pretty obvious, too. I can even imagine a ruling that they deserve no deference because there's no ambiguity there.

this should be done via legislation

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Lightning Knight posted:

Ah. That seems... surprisingly clever?

Yeah. Republicans are bad people, but they're very good at being bad people in politically adventageous ways.

If I had to guess, the triggering event for this regulation finally getting released was that gun control was helpful for Democrats in the midterms, and the Trump Administration figured that they'd better get this regulation released to have a talking point for 2020, while giving as much time for the regulation to be stayed or struck down so the NRA gun nuts don't take out their (current) rage on Republicans that someone touched their murder toys, because the courts took those hands back off.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

evilweasel posted:

yeah, but isn't the NRA dying off hard. i know the GOP is lovely/evil but wouldnt it be smarter to say gently caress it and allow for a bunch of common sense gun laws and then let the NRA scream it out. i mean the NRA assholes blame nerd poo poo and abortion for school shootings. they don't have poo poo to stand on and they arn't worth saving.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
https://twitter.com/BenSasse/status/1063026418500681728?s=19

gently caress off, Mr Ben's rear end, it's gross as hell out there

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Almost to the day https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-41947451

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Depends how you define "pull of the trigger," correct?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Crow Jane posted:

i am in PA and we already have a couple inches.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Depends how you define "pull of the trigger," correct?

yeah does a bump stock really make a weapon "shoot, automatically more than one shot, without manual reloading, by a single function of the trigger"? it seems like mechanically it's not a single function of the trigger at all that makes it shoot multiple rounds quickly, but the combination of recoil/the stock/etc

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Crow Jane posted:

Ben's rear end saying "some dude" is a very "how do you do fellow kids" vibe for me

gently caress off rear end-Man, you are in your late 40s

Also he realizes it doesn't snow very often in those states right?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

eke out posted:

yeah does a bump stock really make a weapon "shoot, automatically more than one shot, without manual reloading, by a single function of the trigger"? it seems like mechanically it's not a single function of the trigger at all that makes it shoot multiple rounds quickly, but the combination of recoil/the stock/etc

Oh I think it definitely does. The trigger is being depressed multiple times.

The issue is that that's a federal criminal provision with heavy penalties so change the rules a lot of rich white folks are suddenly gun felons.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i am in PA and we already have a couple inches.

Yeah it's loving ugly outside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

reignonyourparade posted:

Pension plans love smokers.