Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Also i've been completely neglecting mods (or upgrading them) and been mostly coasting on auto-filling them every now and then. Just from how overwhelming that system is i can tell it's going to be the majority of character building, but right now it seems half the options are either destructive (as i have no idea what mods are safe to melt down/merge to the next tier) or possibly too expensive for the drain/upgrade trade-off. I assume duplicates are safe to melt down but maybe i got an expensive one that's better for trading (very unlikely)? Game doesn't seem to give any pointers, most of the tutorials i find mostly explain what the systems do but not why and when to do it. Granted, that'S probably too situational/build dependent anyway.

Melt dupes, melt all the flawed mods - into endo.

In general, it is a good call to upgrade mods to within 1 rank of max as you start out.

Do not sink too much endo into vitality,redirection and steel fiber. Late in the game you will get the superior version of steel fiber and vitality - and shields aren't that useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Tylana posted:

:siren: Okay goons! Plat fairy and Fortuna combine to form a kitgun that shoots charity! :siren:

So. Eight ( 8 ) Goons (inc AkGoons) on PC (sorry) get a 3 Day Resource Booster to help start off your Venusian grind.

If you want to claim, In-Game-Name , Date you want to approximately receive the gift on are required. My only request is that you also tell us your best Moa or Kitgun name you have prepared for when you can afford to make and name one.

In this! IGN is weedGOKU666 and getting it Friday 11/16 would be sweet.

When I get around to Moas, I’m making the tallest one I can and naming him Ozy (two vast and trunkless legs ya know)

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
Moa names disappoint me... I named mine Moa Money Moa Problems and I don't see it anywhere except the arsenal :smith:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Magus42 posted:

Moa names disappoint me... I named mine Moa Money Moa Problems and I don't see it anywhere except the arsenal :smith:

Don't worry, every player you're teamed with will see it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Magus42 posted:

njsykora posted:

Don't worry, every player you're teamed with will see it.

Moa's are supposed to be visibly named, just like pets, but there's a bug right now that randomly resets it's visible name to just be "MOA" for everyone.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

gaj70 posted:

I'm not sure I entirely agree. High damage per shot weapons / slow fire rate (e.g., snipers, charged weapons, tigris) are often iffy at low levels. You waste too much damage.

Low levels are generally much more sparsely populated so "wasting" damage doesn't matter unless you're spending several minutes at the start of each level firing at the floor.

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Do you believe in magic, Tenno?
Are moas MR-locked? i'm still warping my head around what i should do around fortuna and i'm still at MR 2.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Fruity20 posted:

Are moas MR-locked? i'm still warping my head around what i should do around fortuna and i'm still at MR 2.

At MR2 I'd pretend fortuna doesn't exist after getting the upgraded mining laser.

Focus on MR and story progression.

Reason I say this is that for the most part Fortuna content is just harder than the rest of the game and the rewards aren't going to be that helpful to you at the current stage.

FileNotFound fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Nov 15, 2018

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
aside from getting the mining laser, you should come back to fortuna only after you get an archwing launcher. every single group doing bounties uses them, and a lot of bounties will be over by the time you get there on foot.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it could be neat to pop into the plains and the vallis for a low level bounty or two but for the most part they're going to be tough to crack for a new player and while i won't say you should ignore them they shouldn't be something to butt your head against so early on

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

aside from getting the mining laser, you should come back to fortuna only after you get an archwing launcher. every single group doing bounties uses them, and a lot of bounties will be over by the time you get there on foot.

Oh god I hadn't even thought of that.

Also speaking of Archwing -

If your archwing launcher is not bound to a hotkey you are doing everything wrong.

Mine is ` so I can just activate it whenever. Also if a missile does hit you, you can just hit ` and be back in archwing before you even hit the ground.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Tylana posted:

:siren: Okay goons! Plat fairy and Fortuna combine to form a kitgun that shoots charity! :siren:

So. Eight ( 8 ) Goons (inc AkGoons) on PC (sorry) get a 3 Day Resource Booster to help start off your Venusian grind.

If you want to claim, In-Game-Name , Date you want to approximately receive the gift on are required. My only request is that you also tell us your best Moa or Kitgun name you have prepared for when you can afford to make and name one.

My IGN is "KaronaFalseGod", I could use it tonight or Friday. Since my Volt already runs like Raiden from Metal Gear Rising I'll probably name my Moa "Blade Wolf", because the memes, Jack.

Johnny Joestar posted:

it could be neat to pop into the plains and the vallis for a low level bounty or two but for the most part they're going to be tough to crack for a new player

Yeah I picked the highest bounties I could in the Vallis and quickly noticed everyone was flying around and I couldn't keep up. I didn't feel too bad because I still got credit for standing around looking like an idiot, but goons helpfully corrected me to say that leeching pubbie bounties is serious reportable business so I'll do my best not to disappoint pickup players. On the note, how do I get the Archwing launcher if I finished the first Archwing Gummi Ship mission?

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Nov 15, 2018

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

I actually built a MOA and gilded it because I get bored of the grind quickly, so I made one and named it saMOA Joe for any wrestling fans that are in the thread. I think the next one I'll call it something stupid like cosMOApolitan or something.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Tylana posted:

TheShortestPath in Goons, I would like to receive a booster either Friday night or Saturday morning EST if possible.

Depending on character limits I'm gonna name my kitgun The L'Etranger after my beloved TF2 Spy gun.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Zero VGS posted:

My IGN is "KaronaFalseGod", I could use it tonight or Friday. Since my Volt already runs like Raiden from Metal Gear Rising I'll probably name my Moa "Blade Wolf", because the memes, Jack.

I was wrong, you're not greedy.

You're BATSHIT INSANE.

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

FileNotFound posted:

If your archwing launcher is not bound to a hotkey you are doing everything wrong.

Mine is ` so I can just activate it whenever. Also if a missile does hit you, you can just hit ` and be back in archwing before you even hit the ground.

you guys got the archwing segment research? someone said i needed that in order to build a launcher. i could be super wrong about this. that and it requires parts found on the plains. again, i don't read too much on warframe and just turn off my brain when i play it.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Nickiepoo posted:

I was wrong, you're not greedy.

You're BATSHIT INSANE.

Senator Armstrong coined MAGA before Trump did, a true American.

Meanwhile, this game is shoving communism down my throat in Fortuna.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Fruity20 posted:

you guys got the archwing segment research? someone said i needed that in order to build a launcher. i could be super wrong about this. that and it requires parts found on the plains. again, i don't read too much on warframe and just turn off my brain when i play it.

Yeah it's in the goon guilds.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

Hey, I usually get there when it's only like half over when I use the kdrive.

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

FileNotFound posted:

Yeah it's in the goon guilds.

thank you so much. now all i gotta do is grind for parts then we golden.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

FileNotFound posted:

Yeah, they definitely overcorrected it a bit, but I'm not complaining at all. I basically do all bounties hardly ever leaving the archwing, just blasting stuff from above with a Kulstar. It's a pretty good way to level up all your archwings without doing actual archwing missions. Just make sure you're close enough to your team for the affinity.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Zero VGS posted:

Senator Armstrong coined MAGA before Trump did, a true American.

The best Metal Gear game was also the most prophetic.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Fruity20 posted:

I think one of the moa heads has no mr requirement and another is maybe mr 3, not sure about any other parts.

devinebovine
Sep 7, 2006

Bring corpro! What a wonderful phrase

Bring corpro! Ain't no passing craze

It means no worries for the rest of your days

It's our problem-free philosophy

Bring corpro!
If you have enough standing to get the second tier MOA parts but are only MR2, you're doing something wrong.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
How do I get a Moa / mining laser? I did the vox solaris quest series but that's the only fortuna stuff I've done at all.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm tempted to set up a goofy build revolving around the mecha mod set so i can have a kubrow priming enemies to explode in showers of conditions, but part of my issue is that i still don't have any of the new pet dualstats to customize damage types on them. not that they're necessary since realistically a lot of statuses will come from the player, especially if i do this with khora and can pop enemies with whipclaw slapping them with a fistful of afflictions, but, overall i think this will be a fun project.

mainly i just need to decide which dog i have that i want to dump a couple forma in. i could do the charger since it has innate toxin damage but i might want to focus on a more utilitarian pup. :thunk:

Substandard posted:

How do I get a Moa / mining laser? I did the vox solaris quest series but that's the only fortuna stuff I've done at all.

you gotta go talk to the npcs in fortuna, marked by the yellow icons. you can also press escape and select fast travel to go to different people instantly. smokefinger sells the mining laser for 2500 standing, and legs sells moa parts. you're definitely going to need the mining laser and whatever mining crafting recipe blueprints you can get your hands on from smokefinger first, though, because alloys and whatever are needed for said moas. also fish parts, so go to the business and get the fishing spear for 500 so you can start on that.

as a general rule of thumb for everyone for fortuna: ALWAYS DISMANTLE YOUR ROBOFISH, DO NOT TURN THEM IN FOR STANDING. YOU WILL ALWAYS NEED MORE FISH PARTS AND GEMS ARE BETTER FOR STANDING ANYWAYS

Johnny Joestar fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Nov 15, 2018

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Substandard posted:

Basically do the lowbie quests, the pubbies will carry you. Then you can trade standings for the items at the vendor.

The reason you want the laser is because it's vastly superior to the one you get in the plains.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
How engaging is the mining? I get that fishing is a zen thing, and i don't mind smashing random deposits while i'm flying through my missions (and occasionally, the deposits), but mining sounds like "pointing at a thing and holding a button" which would feel like a total pace killer where i'm not doing sick tricks on my hoverboard or chaotically spinning into random level geometry.

Speaking of engaging, i love how impactful the shotguns feel and that they send smaller mobs flying. Among the 200+ weapons (or frame abilities), which ones are the closest to feeling like a quake 3 railgun or rocketlauncher (if any)?

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Nov 15, 2018

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Mining takes very little time and is currently pretty mechanically engaging. Do sweet flips all the way to a cave, hollow the cave of resources in like ninety seconds, do more sweet flips to a ravine, repeat.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

RoadCrewWorker posted:

How engaging is the mining?

It's not. But it's a LOT better than it used to be - in part because you get way more stuff so you don't need to do it as much.

Basically it seems that in 4tuna mining is what you do until it's warm and then you fish.

In the end, both fishing and mining are just time sinks - but less so in Fortuna then they were in POE. POE was hell - especially the fishing bait crap where you had to catch a bunch of one fish to make bait for another - and they only spawned at night and you had to use the right fishing spear (or volt)

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
the new mining with hotspots and bonus zones is actually really fun

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

~18 minutes left on an Orokin Catalyst BP alert in Europa.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
You know how I was saying I didn't like how the melee locks you in place during swings? Inexplicably the Heat Sword doesn't do that, both the quick swings and the power swing seem to let your feet walk or even sprint in any direction as normal, while your torso upwards does the attack animations.

It's weird how they give no indication on which weapons do and don't behave this way. My prior weapons were Bo and Fang Prime, maybe it's two-handed stuff that causes you to plant yourself for melee?

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
There are reasons they're redoing melee :)

Sikreci
Mar 23, 2006

When people talk about "endgame", what does that mean? Sorties? Eidolons? Several hours on Mot? (Obviously fashion frame too)

devinebovine
Sep 7, 2006

Bring corpro! What a wonderful phrase

Bring corpro! Ain't no passing craze

It means no worries for the rest of your days

It's our problem-free philosophy

Bring corpro!

Zero VGS posted:

You know how I was saying I didn't like how the melee locks you in place during swings? Inexplicably the Heat Sword doesn't do that, both the quick swings and the power swing seem to let your feet walk or even sprint in any direction as normal, while your torso upwards does the attack animations.

It's weird how they give no indication on which weapons do and don't behave this way. My prior weapons were Bo and Fang Prime, maybe it's two-handed stuff that causes you to plant yourself for melee?

It's all got to do with the animations, either the default moveset or the one granted by a stance if one is equipped. And viewing the stance combos tells you absolutely nothing.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Zero VGS posted:

So far today the end game of melee is using the melee attack while sliding because not only it's rather consistent between all melee weapons, it speeds you up instead of slowing you down and hits 360 degrees around you for a huge AoE.

The main reason though is a mod combination that turns melee weapons into the strongest weapons in the game. Maiming strike+Blood rush basically guarantee that all your sliding attacks will be super crits that hit for ridiculous amounts of damage while you zip around the map erasing things. Fair warning: DE hates this and will try to kill it soon.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

FileNotFound posted:

Ok hyper dumb question but what is the binding? Can you hotkey any gear you want?

My mind is being blown at the moment.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Sikreci posted:

When people talk about "endgame", what does that mean? Sorties? Eidolons? Several hours on Mot? (Obviously fashion frame too)

"Endgame" is when you're at the point where you can decide you want to try out some new thing you saw and then be able to reasonably have it within a couple hours, imo.

This game isn't really a MMO, so it doesn't have what MMO players would consider endgame content.

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Nov 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Sikreci posted:

Sorties, Eidolons, Arbitrations, Elite Onslaughts, Kuva Floods, whatever the Big Orb Hunt will be - but more than anything, "endgame" is when you've got access to everything you'd want to do and your gear acquisitions become less about power and more about variety. It's a more fluid, vaguely-defined state than it is in most games.