Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Z. Autobahn posted:

This is all a New Coke style plan to get the "Dems are bad" people to come around to defending Pelosi and Schumer.

Pelosi and Schumer are not even in the same loving league. Pelosi is like Obama to Schumer's loving Lieberman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Lightning Knight posted:

Daisy is hands down the most effective political ad of all time but I think the recent “we’re all [candidate]’s siblings and we’re here to tell you he’s trash” ad was probably the funniest. Did that guy lose, by the way?

Daisy was only (paid) to run once. It is one of my first memories of a presidential race (I was 7 years old at the time).

It not only was effective, but it also changed politics forever.

I know it was corny, but I did love Bernie Sanders "America" ad so so much.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

And we're coming for her job next.

That really does feel like a pick up at this point. From what I understand her decision to grand stand and support Kavanaugh was extremely unpopular back home and the mask of a moderate Republican really fell off there. In fact she comes across as one of the bigger assholes in the Republican party of late. I just don't see New England going for her much in the current political climate unless there's some other factor that I'm unaware of.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

VideoGameVet posted:

Daisy was only (paid) to run once. It is one of my first memories of a presidential race (I was 7 years old at the time).

It not only was effective, but it also changed politics forever.

I know it was corny, but I did love Bernie Sanders "America" ad so so much.

drat you old as hell. :stare:

I usually find political ads to be dreadfully corny, personally. I’m just not the target audience I guess.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Lightning Knight posted:

I’m totally willing to defend Pelosi from the right but Schumer may be a bridge too far lol.

To be fair, if Joe Manchin was working on a scheme to usurp Schumer, I'd reluctantly side with Schumer

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Kale posted:

That really does feel like a pick up at this point. From what I understand her decision to grand stand and support Kavanaugh was extremely unpopular back home and the mask of a moderate Republican really fell off there. In fact she comes across as one of the bigger assholes in the Republican party of late. I just don't see New England going for her much in the current political climate unless there's some other factor that I'm unaware of.

The last two years have shown her to be either extremely stupid and gullible or intentionally malicious even as she masquerades as a "moderate".

The Kavanaugh vote alone should be enough for a half-decent Democrat to bounce her in 2020.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Lightning Knight posted:

Daisy is hands down the most effective political ad of all time but I think the recent “we’re all [candidate]’s siblings and we’re here to tell you he’s trash” ad was probably the funniest. Did that guy lose, by the way?

No, Gosar is from a very red district and Republicans could relate to his family calling him racist and evil. He won with 68.2%

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

The Glumslinger posted:

To be fair, if Joe Manchin was working on a scheme to usurp Schumer, I'd reluctantly side with Schumer

...fair.

I unironically want Gillibrand to be Senate leader, I think she would kill at that.

Ague Proof posted:

No, Gosar is from a very red district and Republicans could relate to his family calling him racist and evil. He won with 68.2%

Boo. :mad:

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

I had not seen that Daisy ad before. Hahahaha, God drat.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Ague Proof posted:

Oh man, Thanksgiving is going to be awkward as hell this year in the Gosar home. I bet he's a gloater.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Lightning Knight posted:

drat you old as hell. :stare:

I usually find political ads to be dreadfully corny, personally. I’m just not the target audience I guess.

My wife is 3 years older than I. She sent JFK a large comb as a present when she was a little girl and remembers when he was shot. She also remembers when the air in the San Fernando Valley was clean, and was there when it was so awful they wouldn't let her students outside to play when she taught in the '70's.

Back to the subject (sort of). Watched "The Post" last night (fine film). Funny how decades later we're waiting for a SCOTUS ruling on the freedom of the Press, again.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Office Pig posted:

Via Vox

Remember this dude? Remember when he was in the news for a little while and everybody forgot about the humdinger he was involved in for the party primaries? That's Steny Hoyer's boy.

What happened in his primary? I don't know much about the dude other than every ad he ran here in CO was about him being an army ranger and how he wouldn't disrespect America. Like one ad was him literally reading the Army Rangers Pledge or something. I assume he's a lovely centrist?

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

mistaya posted:

A time when Democrats could hit hard.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Pelosi and Schumer are not even in the same loving league. Pelosi is like Obama to Schumer's loving Lieberman

As a reminder republican demonization of Pelosi has been internalized pretty hard by everyone including people who consider themselves leftists.

That's not to say there aren't criticisms of her from the left, she's hardly a leftist, but some of them are nuts.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
One of the worst I've seen was Mitch McConnel's "what rhymes with Alison Lundergan Grimes?" ad that just had her name repeating a dozen times with autotune without really criticizing her, and then she released an ad where her grandmother asks what rhymes with Mitch.

Then there's Mike Gravel's, Georgia's Ox vs the Rat, and Carly Fiorina's demon sheep.

The ad where Bigfoot hunts a Republican hiding from his constituents? The Democrat won by a lot.

Ague Proof fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Nov 15, 2018

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
Are Pelosi’s speaker chances looking that bad?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

VideoGameVet posted:

Clinton’s Daisy call back ad was so bad.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Brony Car posted:

I personally doubt they come up with a serious challenger.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Brony Car posted:

She probably squeaks by with some major concessions to the blue dog caucus

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003
https://twitter.com/ericgeller/status/1063159706082918400

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Brony Car posted:

No but saying that doesn't get you ad clicks.

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

Brony Car posted:

Unless there is a mythical challenger that can get a majority of the House to vote for them, Pelosi is going to be speaker.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Spun Dog posted:

* Mike Gravel throws a rock in a pond and shuffles off *

You can't omit the *staring into the camera* for (something like 20-30 seconds) before that happened.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Pelosi's quote:

“I’m a busy person, but I will be the speaker of the House.”

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Brony Car posted:

Considering that aside from Tim Ryan there appears to be no other candidate no not really.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

ReidRansom posted:

2020 is going to be extremely dirty with the GOP trying to keep its gerrymanders in place. At some level they're probably far more concerned about that than keeping Dumbass in office.

Their gerrymanders are hosed in Wisconsin and Michigan since we elected governors in both states. The GOP will get to have one last hurrah in those states until 2022. The courts already unfucked the map a bit for us in Pennsylvania, but holding the governor's mansion there means we can make more progress there and hold a fair map. Taking Kansas too was nice, but a fair map there will be a marginal benefit at best.

Holding North Carolina in 2020 will be critical to unfuck that gerrymander, and since that state is increasingly blue that should be doable. Thats pretty much it I think for making more progress before 2022. Texas will remain hosed and there's not much we can do about it, but thats balanced by fuckery we can do in NY and IL. We can make quite a bit of progress in New York because the GOP forced a fair map on us and we can make it unfair.

We are looking at nationally a MUCH more fair map for the 2020's unless the country inexplicably goes all MAGA on us in 2 years. On the other side, a judge had unfucked Florida's map a few years ago, but the GOP will proceed to gerrymander FL again and there's not much we can do about it other than go back to court, so Florida will go back to being unfair for a little while.

Rigel fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Nov 15, 2018

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Tibalt posted:

No but saying that doesn't get you ad clicks.

I mean, they at least for 17 people to actually sign the letter saying they'll oppose her on the floor so she's looking more tenuous than yesterday, but 12 of those names said the same thing two years ago so

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

mistaya posted:

Important:

quote:

Goldwater suggested that nuclear weapons should be treated more like conventional weapons and used in Vietnam, specifically that they should have been used at Dien Bien Phu in 1954 to defoliate trees.[37] Regarding Vietnam, Goldwater charged that Johnson's policy was devoid of "goal, course, or purpose," leaving "only sudden death in the jungles and the slow strangulation of freedom."[38] Goldwater's rhetoric on nuclear war was viewed by many as quite uncompromising, a view buttressed by off-hand comments such as, "Let's lob one into the men's room at the Kremlin."[39] He also advocated that field commanders in Vietnam and Europe should be given the authority to use tactical nuclear weapons (which he called "small conventional nuclear weapons") without presidential confirmation.

quote:

Goldwater was painted as a dangerous figure by the Johnson campaign, which countered Goldwater's slogan "In your heart, you know he's right" with the lines "In your guts, you know he's nuts," and "In your heart, you know he might" (that is, he might actually use nuclear weapons as opposed to using only deterrence)

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Brony Car posted:

There is zero chance anyone can beat her in a vote of the Democratic cacucus. It is possible there are enough democrats who will try to veto the choice of the democratic caucus when it comes to the floor.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Tibalt posted:

I mean, they at least for 17 people to actually sign the letter saying they'll oppose her on the floor so she's looking more tenuous than yesterday, but 12 of those names said the same thing two years ago so

They didn't get a chance two years ago. The vote for Minority Leader is just a majority of the relevant caucus. It's that she's now running for speaker that gives the remaining blue dogs a potential veto.

The leverage here is voting for someone else when it comes to the floor, where you need a majority of votes cast to become speaker (including Republicans), so a small minority can block a speaker if it refuses to vote for their party's nominee and pushes that person below 218.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Okay at this point it's like the GOP is stalking their ex.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

evilweasel posted:

They didn't get a chance two years ago. The vote for Minority Leader is just a majority of the relevant caucus. It's that she's now running for speaker that gives the remaining blue dogs a potential veto.

The leverage here is voting for someone else when it comes to the floor, where you need a majority of votes cast to become speaker (including Republicans), so a small minority can block a speaker if it refuses to vote for their party's nominee and pushes that person below 218.
While true, the fact that they couldn't get people to pull the trigger when the stakes were low doesn't make me think they'll get the sand now that the stakes are high, but I feel like this discussion happens every other year no matter what.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

VideoGameVet posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1ZKV5h87RE

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Tibalt posted:

While true, the fact that they couldn't get people to pull the trigger when the stakes were low doesn't make me think they'll get the sand now that the stakes are high, but I feel like this discussion happens every other year no matter what.

They did vote for a different candidate for minority leader, Tim Ryan got something like 60 votes. But the question isn't who would vote for a non-Pelosi person if they ran among the Democratic caucus, but who is willing to ignore that vote and veto the winner of the vote from getting the gavel if it's Pelosi?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Munkeymon posted:

I'm not sure what they need to override a veto, but it looks like they might have it if it's the same as the federal override level :(

They did not gain a veto-proof majority in the Wisconsin State Senate, so they just need to hold the line in 2020 to achieve a fair map.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Yes, that was a drat fine ad. Obama knew how to campaign. And how to debate.

“Go ahead”

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Tibalt posted:

There were 63 votes against her in 2016, which would be more than sufficient to tank her on the floor. It's just unlikely that anyone who would vote against her on the floor would get enough support to win the floor themselves, so insurrection wouldn't be terribly productive except in the "burn it down" sense.

Has there ever been a candidate for speaker defeated on floor? It sounds like it would be messy.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Brony Car posted:

it's a somewhat credible blackmail challenge, but i'm still not sure the traitors opposition can't be individually Prisoner's Dilemma'd to bits.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Rigel posted:

They did not gain a veto-proof majority in the Wisconsin State Senate, so they just need to hold the line in 2020 to achieve a fair map.

What happens if the legislature does not pass a map? Who draws the new one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

I am mad on behalf of amazon employees that they did not pick Boston.