Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Friend of mine had Saxony reform Germanic last night. They had control of Saxony, Denmark, Norway and Sweden for decades before he could, so he was probably missing the piety or MA.

Aha! Thanks all for the answers (I didn't realize you could turn off ai reformation, oops). Hope Saxony is ready to eat poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Cythereal posted:

:siren:

Crusader Kings 2 is 75% off and all the DLC is 50% off on Steam for the next 24 hours.

:siren:

Quoting for new page.

I'm glad you guys started talking about pagan reformation, I totally hadn't been looking at that in my game. I'm three quick wars away from controlling all 5 African sites, time to push that button!

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
What are peoples' thoughts on the new tribal retinues? Sometimes I miss the ability to burst out units quick, but having a thousands strong army just sitting around has been helpful as well. Chews through money, though, and smaller tribal realms seem to put up a much better fight.

Tribal troop counts seem higher overall, probably also due to the cheaper prestige upgrades in tribal holdings. When I started invading Ireland, the king had 12000 troops between him and his vassals.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

What are peoples' thoughts on the new tribal retinues? Sometimes I miss the ability to burst out units quick, but having a thousands strong army just sitting around has been helpful as well. Chews through money, though, and smaller tribal realms seem to put up a much better fight.

Tribal troop counts seem higher overall, probably also due to the cheaper prestige upgrades in tribal holdings. When I started invading Ireland, the king had 12000 troops between him and his vassals.

The tribal retinues cost prestige to maintain, not money, at least mine does. I'm at like -1.5 prestige a month maintaining my 1800 troops

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

The prestige/piety retinues cost prestige/piety to maintain, not money. They're pretty great, honestly, especially if you get good commander traits to go along with them

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Azhais posted:

The tribal retinues cost prestige to maintain, not money, at least mine does. I'm at like -1.5 prestige a month maintaining my 1800 troops

I'm about 50/50 on my tribal 100light/50heavy (prestige) and 200 heavy infantry (gold) retinues. That might be it.

Didn't notice my prestige taking a hit from the reinforcement, but didn't look closely either.l

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

I'm about 50/50 on my tribal 100light/50heavy (prestige) and 200 heavy infantry (gold) retinues. That might be it.

Didn't notice my prestige taking a hit from the reinforcement, but didn't look closely either.l

I have not seen any reinforcement costs at all with the prestige troops, another point in their favor.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

New tribal retinues are pretty great. Costing prestige/piety is very cool, you can rack up insane prestige generation through the warrior lodges. Also, piety is much less useful after reforming and converting to feudalism, so it's a nice way to do something worthwhile with the piety you acquire later. You should definitely try to have a good number of those retinue before adopting feudalism, since you can't create them afterwards.

By the way, at least for me, CK2 with all gameplay DLC would cost a cool 111 Euro. I don't want to think how much money I've spent on the game, especially since I've bought all those DLC when they came out and were much more expensive. And I've also bought the cosmetic DLC...

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
I decided to take off the training wheels and only play iroman achievement enabled games

About ready to give up on the Welsh as my 3rd attempt again ends with death by disease

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Anyone gotten the raiding specific bloodline and know roughly how much raiding you have to do to unlock it? I've raided way more than that pissbitch Ragnar Lodbrok ever did and he got one! IVE SACKED ROME THREE TIMES :bahgawd:

Jokes on him tho, i forcibly vassalised him in my game, married him to my sister that gave him three varyingly degrees of useless daughters and no sons, hehehe.

Noobicide
Sep 12, 2007
My first concubine as Kanem 7-whatever start was a giant, and I got that mixed with strong in one kid, and I managed to make him my heir . . . barely. drat elders. Needless to say he is by far the world' strongest man and deadliest duelist.

I'm also really into starting as Africa. Like way too into it

*raises fist*

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I've got a technical issue here. I'm playing on my laptop with a resolution of 1920x1080, but CK2 has suddenly started to autodetect my resolution as something like 1024x768 when running borderless, which makes the UI absolutely tiny.

Anyone else run into this issue before? Seems to have happened sometime between yesterday and today.

Edit: The settings.txt file still says 1920x1080 as the default resolution too.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Nov 15, 2018

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

That Guy Bob posted:

I feel like a failure if the first character I'm playing doesn't score a bloodline.

Also, the mali goldmines weren't as good as I thought they would be, they can dry up and then I'm out of gold. :berned:

They dig a new mine in 10-60 years.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

What

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

I bet Honkey Dong Country is just living his rear end off in the new Africa right now. Y'all are seriously tempting me to finally play down there sometime.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

The light infantry / light cavalry one is really good because they trigger good tactics when mixed together. Stacking them all on one flank with a good commander goes a long way towards beating armies with better quality troops. Don't mix light and heavy infantry in a retinue, they excel at different phases in battle.

Anyone make the defensive fetish mask and magic artifact yet? I went with the other ones and they give pretty good bonuses like damage and pursuit, which I like because almost nothing else gives pursuit and more damage for units that are good in the skirmish phase is always welcome, but I'm wondering if you were to actually crunch the numbers the other ones would be better because light infantry's main weakness is morale failure due to a lot of them dying, so stats like morale defense are good for them.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Patrat posted:

One of her descendants has turned into an even greater badass old murder lady (dragon).

She went on an epic journey to not-Russia to fight it's champions then chain killed about eight bad asses in separate duels whilst accumulating injuries. Fortunately no permanent injuries, she is completely immune to those. Now she has this cool bloodline trait and so do all of her female line descendants.

Currently pictured kicking in the teeth of the triple-dragon-king of the rest of sub Saharan Africa, Morocco and most of Spain. Her retinue tends to engage in fights with equal or slightly larger forces then literally kill everyone whilst taking maybe 1-200 losses.

Where are you getting those animal/fantasy creature portraits? Is it a mod or part of an expansion?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Noobicide posted:

My first concubine as Kanem 7-whatever start was a giant, and I got that mixed with strong in one kid, and I managed to make him my heir . . . barely. drat elders. Needless to say he is by far the world' strongest man and deadliest duelist.

I'm also really into starting as Africa. Like way too into it

*raises fist*

yeah africa owns. i was playing as dugu of kanem and became the worlds deadliest man by age 40. i ended up fathering a dozen sons, all jazzed to join the children of the storm, and each of them becoming an equally murderous lunkhead like their kind strong dad dugu ' the Brute '. i'm sure it will be fine when i die and my empire is split between a dozen men who have done nothing but train for war and know nothing but how to swing wooden swords in a perfect half-circle

i was arm wrestling some dude whose nickname was Girlarm and he tried to cheat to beat me, so i called him out, which made him mad, so he tried to duel me. i killed him on accident. this made some random lady in the warrior lodge hot as hell and between that, my storytelling ability, and the fact that i could slay men with a glare she wanted to bone down. i was like no thanks. so she got insulted and challenged me to a duel. one perfect half-circle later and she died too

i finally got my legendary mission to arabia after kitting out with my sweet war mask, some bad rear end sword i lifted off some mook in a battle, a war totem, and all that gear. while on my epic journey of murder, without breaking a sweat, i killed

-some guy taking a piss
-the sheikh of mecca
-a blind strong genius old man who pretended to be crippled but then cast off his cloak to reveal that he was totally muslim zatoichi
-the handpicked champion of the shia caliph
-a bear

and now i'm emperor once over, the great salitgue (why reform if i can't maintain an iron fist over holy wars of neopagan africa?) and i'm just going to parcel out the rest of the continent among my twelve extremely large dumb sons before i die and maybe go try to conquer rome single handed or some poo poo

SkySteak posted:

Where are you getting those animal/fantasy creature portraits? Is it a mod or part of an expansion?

that is in this DLC

holy furry is probably the best DLC ever released for CK2, it's all the fun stuff

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

SkySteak posted:

It's a random world thing you can set. Just keep hitting the, I think it's the cultures button, and eventually 'Animal Kingdoms' will pop up as an option.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
First shot at the Byzantines I died in battle after a few years; this time I cannot manage to die no matter what I do. My dude is old, depressed, stressed, has cancer, other diseases at various times, and I've had him leading armies all the time. Even when I tried to commit suicide I just ended up incapable so I'm probably gonna survive another 20 years and outlive all my heirs.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Gobblecoque posted:

First shot at the Byzantines I died in battle after a few years; this time I cannot manage to die no matter what I do. My dude is old, depressed, stressed, has cancer, other diseases at various times, and I've had him leading armies all the time. Even when I tried to commit suicide I just ended up incapable so I'm probably gonna survive another 20 years and outlive all my heirs.

Come to Africa. I lose about two commanders per war and multiple rulers already. My best run so far was 7 commanders in 5 engagements.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
And of course in the meanwhile my preferred heir is doing everything in his power to make sure he's not elected emperor.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

You jerks are making me want to put my Wales game on ice and pick up an Axe for Odin or something. Never played much Pagans, Germanic or otherwise. Hell, I've barely left my 1066 Feudal Christian comfort zone.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

binge crotching posted:

I really wish there was a way to join random wars. I noticed there is a revolt going on to put the last Merovingian back on the throne, but I can't join it because I'm playing a Norse guy. Karloman only has 1k troops (he got absolutely destroyed when he tried attacking Hispania), so I've been raiding everything of his I can, but it's still taking forever for the revolt to progress. Last I checked it was around 30%, but they only have around 3k troops, so I'm worried that if Karloman gets enough money for some mercs that he'll win handily.

At least I've made an absolute poo poo ton of money+prestige from all of the raiding. Ragnar may only be 6 years old, but he's already the most prestigious Norseman alive.

There is the feature where you can just right click and offer to join a war, but I'm not sure if it's restricted by any options.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

SlothfulCobra posted:

There is the feature where you can just right click and offer to join a war, but I'm not sure if it's restricted by any options.

There have been a few times I've wanted to do that (such as while uniting Wales when Powys was defending in a vasalization war vs England) but couldn't. I wish I knew what the criteria was.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Managed to reform Romuva from the 769 start as Kurzeme.
Saxony has gone ape-poo poo on Scandinavia and Kiev has swallowed up most of the stuff to my immediate East.

I managed to grab the nearest 3 Holy Sites and then spend the next 30 years playing whack-a-mole with churches and County Conquests to hit 50%.
I was going to say that the next step was going feudal to get rid of the loving asshat elders, but it turns out that reforming the faith switched me over to Gavelkind.

Rarely can I have been this happy to find myself in Gavelkind.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

big dyke energy posted:

Aha! Thanks all for the answers (I didn't realize you could turn off ai reformation, oops). Hope Saxony is ready to eat poo poo.

Also, if any of the normal Western European pagans reforms, it adds a big boost to MA for all other pagans, to try and encourage multiple reformations. I haven't seen it yet, but I've only played a couple of hours so far with the new patch.

Dongattack posted:

Anyone gotten the raiding specific bloodline and know roughly how much raiding you have to do to unlock it? I've raided way more than that pissbitch Ragnar Lodbrok ever did and he got one! IVE SACKED ROME THREE TIMES :bahgawd:

Jokes on him tho, i forcibly vassalised him in my game, married him to my sister that gave him three varyingly degrees of useless daughters and no sons, hehehe.

200 from the time you get the Viking trait. It takes 100 to get to Sea King/Queen, so another 100 on top of that.

There are some events where you can get +4 or +5 to credit, I think they are the ones that pop up as you pillage something and it asks if you want to burn it down. Still a bunch of holdings to raid though.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
So it turns out that not -all- pagans get concubines - specifically, hellenic paganism at least does not.

Theoretically, that makes the polygamy feature a lot more attractive for them, but, eh, unthematic. I took ancestor worship instead.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
Ughhh did the Holmgang event get integrated into the new personal combat skill system? In my Ironman game I had an 89 personal combat skill brilliant strategist/brave/wroth/berserker/viking get killed by his 19 combat skill brother after already easily beating him in a strong claim duel and choosing to spare his life. Did I just roll really badly? It sucks to lose a promising character in 3 clicks when the new duel system is so much more involved. Guess my mistake was letting him live :argh:

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
That reminds me, since male concubines are a thing now, are those only for reformed religions that pick the right beliefs, or could existing religions that achieve full equality (whether through technology and laws or through the game rule) get them too?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Generation Internet posted:

Ughhh did the Holmgang event get integrated into the new personal combat skill system? In my Ironman game I had an 89 personal combat skill brilliant strategist/brave/wroth/berserker/viking get killed by his 19 combat skill brother after already easily beating him in a strong claim duel and choosing to spare his life. Did I just roll really badly? It sucks to lose a promising character in 3 clicks when the new duel system is so much more involved. Guess my mistake was letting him live :argh:

I think it's just the old event code where it checks to see if you have better combat skill above a threshold and then just gives you a flat 80% chance of winning if you're better. I had a ruler designed bullshit character with 450 personal combat skill lose a holmgang to a guy with like, 12 combat skill.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Just pulled off a real neat trick in my Emperor of Britannia game. So I formed the empire and got all the British Isles under my control was looking for ways to continue into mainland Europe. I had a non aggression pact with France so that was out but the Brittany area looked nice for the taking. So I remembered the whole the Pope is more likely to grant claims now and it turns out he was nice enough to grant me a claim on the Duchy for 400 Piety. Turns out the Duchess was excommunicated so it was basically a no brainer. After taking over that duchy I get granted a claim on the one next to it and quickly form the Kingdom of Brittany and give it to the old Duchess.

I then get some claims from my friend the Pope on lands in Western France that were independent and continue apace do some minor du jure land wars and a few years pass. I notice that the Queen of Brittany happens to have a claim on the Kingdom of Austaria which since she's already my vassal she will stay my vassal. Really quick war ends up netting me 2 kingdoms because I also was able to form the Kingdom of Navarre right away.

This leaves me with a small problem that I don't want someone to hold 2 king titles at the same time and this lady now holds Austaria and Brittany. But turns out being excommunicated allows you to be imprisoned without penalty. So wrap that up strip her of both kingdoms and give them to new loyal vassals then it turns out excommunicated characters can be executed without penalty too.

Being a good pious Catholic pays off.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

SlothfulCobra posted:

Pretty sure it's only available for defenders against religious CB's (county conquest, holy war, prepared invasion)

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

So I have found a pretty effective system as a warrior lodge pagan. You get a CB against any bordering province that costs 100 prestige to use (then gives you 100 prestige if you win). So if you border another tribal neighbour? You can always take land from them. First of all you want to stop them from calling in their tribal vassals or at least weaken them. Fighting some chump with 2K troops who can call in 25,000 from their vassals is not fun.

So put your army on raid stance and siege down + ruin the capital holdings of their primary vassals one at a time whilst also hoovering up their retinues. This has goods odds of you capturing said vassals and/or their close family members. If you are rank 2 in a warrior lodge you get much better odds of taking captives. If you have close family members hostage people are loath to go to war with you and this also ruins their levy through direct wrecking of holdings and their garrisons. Do not worry about not bordering people, you can still get the cash from the holding sieges and (later) from ransoms. If you have time and inclination then also raid siege down the best holdings of the enemy king/high chief so that you can kill their levy whilst it is in garrison.

Then attack them with a regular war! Win the war, take a province off them. Make sure that you also set your stance toward the enemy leader as 'antagonistic'. You have excellent odds of turning them into your rival at which point you can duel them. Then kill them.

Which resets the truce timer and lets you attack again.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

I loving had that happen, too!

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

binge crotching posted:

200 from the time you get the Viking trait. It takes 100 to get to Sea King/Queen, so another 100 on top of that.

There are some events where you can get +4 or +5 to credit, I think they are the ones that pop up as you pillage something and it asks if you want to burn it down. Still a bunch of holdings to raid though.

Good god thats a lot. My current ruler has been raiding for as long as ive had control over him and just got Sea King now at 55. He was 30 when i got him tho, gotta try for a younger one.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

1. If you make a random world is there any way to find counties with the most slots so you can pick them?
2. Many events are tied to specific religions, so, while new ones would be neat, would sticking to historical religions give a play through more depth?
3. I did not get any animals after several tries! What setting is that tied to?

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Diogines posted:

3. I did not get any animals after several tries! What setting is that tied to?

Click right on the "Cultures" option a bunch of times. After a little while, Animal Kingdoms becomes an option

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Kaza42 posted:

Click right on the "Cultures" option a bunch of times. After a little while, Animal Kingdoms becomes an option
Thank you. Hilarious. How quickly did it take someone to find that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Diogines posted:

Thank you. Hilarious. How quickly did it take someone to find that?

I saw it in a youtube video from a guy I watch like two days before the game came out. Pdox wasn't very secret with it.