Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Timby posted:

It has severe performance issues on the base PS4 and Xbone, loving :lol: at the idea of it being able to run on a Switch.

I mean, it drops do low 20s on the busiest cities, it's not that severe, considering what it's putting out on these old rear end machines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Who are the most prominent black cowboys in Hollywood movies? Off the top of my head there's the guy who's in charge of the gang that gets shot by Charles Bronson at the start of Once Upon a Time In the West and Danny Glover in Silverado but I probably haven't seen enough westerns.

Was the lead in The Great Silence black or was he Native American? I can't remember.

Morgan Freeman in Unforgiven, Sidney Poitier and Harry Belafonte in Buck & Preacher, Mario Van Peebles in Posse, Cleavon Little in Blazing Saddles...

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Wheat Loaf posted:

Who are the most prominent black cowboys in Hollywood movies? Off the top of my head there's the guy who's in charge of the gang that gets shot by Charles Bronson at the start of Once Upon a Time In the West and Danny Glover in Silverado but I probably haven't seen enough westerns.

Was the lead in The Great Silence black or was he Native American? I can't remember.

I always loved Danny Glover as Deets in Lonesome Dove.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Timby posted:

It has severe performance issues on the base PS4 and Xbone, loving :lol: at the idea of it being able to run on a Switch.

I remember hearing that the first game didn’t come to PC because the whole game was a Frankenstein’s Monster of code, making it a miracle that it even ran on any platform (let alone infinite PC setups). I guess Rockstar Games can make their employees work insane hours, but they can’t set realistic deadlines.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
Many thanks for all the western recommendations.

I watched Once Upon a Time in the West and it was really good. I'll give both original and remakes of 3:10 to Yuma and True Grit a watch next, to see what difference a new set of filmmakers makes to the same story.

I think my reaction to RDR2 might be me realizing about 10 years too late that I just plain don't like Rockstar games.

And all this talk of black cowboys and all I can think of is Lightning Jack and the one where Will Smith fought a giant spider.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

He's not a cowboy, but the black dude in Charley One-Eye is one of the more graphic depictions of the kind of extreme limits men of color were pushed to out on the frontier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsM4P_-_f1I

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mierenneuker posted:

I remember hearing that the first game didn’t come to PC because the whole game was a Frankenstein’s Monster of code, making it a miracle that it even ran on any platform (let alone infinite PC setups).

It was. They had to do some insane poo poo with the RAGE engine to get it working on especially the PS3 (and even then the PS3 version had notable issues compared to the 360), and Rockstar San Diego got so bogged down that they had to bring in multiple other studios to do poo poo like QA / testing and assisting with code. It's a miracle that game came out at all, and because both the 360 and PS3 were POWER-based, like hell Rockstar was going expend the resources to port that to x86 PCs.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Fred Williamson did a number of westerns with some, er, memorable titles.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

TrixRabbi posted:

Fred Williamson did a number of westerns with some, er, memorable titles.

Is there perchance one where they call him boss?

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I hate that that song is so catchy because it is not one that you want to get stuck in your head.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

X-Ray Pecs posted:

He's so bad, they call him Boss.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Timby posted:

it also just cant fit on a switch cart/download, its a 100gig game

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
That song is way to good for the movie it’s in

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Has anyone mentioned Sukiyaki Western Django yet? Legit great use of ESL with classic Western speech.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Because emerald is the actual best game of the air quotes classic generation

Read pre-sun and moon which introduced pretty radical changes to the game

You're welcome

Missed this, but yeah, it was a great suggestion. It's been a nice break from responsibilities. Thank you.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

bushisms.txt posted:

Has anyone mentioned Sukiyaki Western Django yet? Legit great use of ESL with classic Western speech.

That was the one Tarantino cameo'd in, right?

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

I don't know if he "cameod" or added a scene for the American release, but yeah one of the ones he brought over.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Remember that Modesty Blaise movie from the early 00s (starring pre-fame Jaime Lannister) that Tarantino put his name on?

Had an infamously bad fight scene.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Remember that Modesty Blaise movie from the early 00s (starring pre-fame Jaime Lannister) that Tarantino put his name on?

Had an infamously bad fight scene.

Was it DTV, because while that's bad, it's about par for lovely DTV action movies.

Also looking up the original strip I found this in the wikipedia article

quote:

It was adapted into films in 1966, 1982, and 2003

So were getting due for another one.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Looking forward to the Modesty Blaise vs Diabolik And Probably Some Other Euro-pulp Reboot Characters Shared Extended Dark Cinematic Universe (or the MDVDAPSOEPRCSEDCU if you want to be succinct).

No, seriously, I think that would be fun.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Wheat Loaf posted:

Looking forward to the Modesty Blaise vs Diabolik And Probably Some Other Euro-pulp Reboot Characters Shared Extended Dark Cinematic Universe (or the MDVDAPSOEPRCSEDCU if you want to be succinct).

No, seriously, I think that would be fun.

yeah that would be fantastic. Get Judex, Fantomas, and Lupin the first in there too.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
My mother told me to put this bouquet in some water and I have no idea what the hell I'm looking at, some kind of tree stemmed black rose

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Nov 15, 2018

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

The Peccadillo posted:

My mother told me to put this bouquet in some water and I have no idea what the hell I'm looking at, some kind of tree stemmed black rose

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

K. Waste posted:

That was the one Tarantino cameo'd in, right?

Yeah. He played an old man who talked about watching Akira when he was a kid. It's nuts.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

What's the story with the booty/ballsack statue there?

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

I never knew how valuable those cards were worth until recently. I lived in a house with a couple of dudes who had weekly drafts, and they had like 3 of them I think. They would go to Walmart every other weekend and grab like 3 of those big bricks of decks and then we'd smonk while blind drafting. They'd use old mana cards to theory craft the new metas.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gripweed posted:

yeah that would be fantastic. Get Judex, Fantomas, and Lupin the first in there too.

I once read a short story by Chris Roberson (probably best known for creating the original iZombie comics) which was set in Paris in 1916, in which Judex encounters a wealthy American doctor and his neglected wife who are visiting Judex's nemesis, the corrupt banker Favraux, to discuss investments.

While investigating some robberies committed by Les Vampires, he stumbles upon the apparent theft of a string of pearls belonging to the wife (whose name is Martha), he discovers that she has had an affair with an American pilot flying with the French air force named Kent Allard and has become pregnant with his child.

She resolves to go home with her husband to ensure that her son with Allard (who she will call Bruce) receives the best upbringing she can provide.

The idea of Batman literally being the son of the Shadow is one of those things that's contrived in a way which amuses me.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Franchescanado posted:

What's the story with the booty/ballsack statue there?

I don't know, me mum makes weird ornaments outta scrap metal

Our christmas tree was a helix made of very sharp tin

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Nov 15, 2018

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
There’s a snowstorm and my boss waited until too late to close, my car got stuck in the snow, now I’m stranded in a combination Sunoco/Dunkin Donuts waiting for my dad to pick me up in his truck. So basically, I’m living a lovely version of Hateful Eight.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

The Peccadillo posted:

Your mum's cool.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

The Peccadillo posted:

Your mum rules

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

The Peccadillo posted:

Your mom sounds cool.

Barb Wire Pear is awesome.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I can’t advise spending 90 minutes in a gas station, this is way worse than Clerks

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

C&P don't eat the stew

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

She is pretty cool, I'll put up the tin christmas tree this year and post a pic, despite the last time I put it up in 2014 when I got bit by a redback spider when I was pulling it out of the garage

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Budgie Jumping posted:

Your mum's cool.

Yeah, and she blows a meeeeeaan horn.

PS that plant is some kind of succulent.

therattle fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Nov 16, 2018

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Are you guys not mentioning Django Unchained just to aggravate me. Or is that too obvious.

K. Waste posted:

That song is way to good for the movie it's in

It's like, a legit crime that it's so catchy. It's maybe the worst song ever to have stuck in your head.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

K. Waste posted:

That song is way to good for the movie it’s in

That goes for like 80% of blaxploitation though.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Lurdiak posted:

It's like, a legit crime that it's so catchy. It's maybe the worst song ever to have stuck in your head.

I hear ya, I even catch myself singing it sometimes

"They call him bo-oss
He's a bo-oss
Boss mm-mmrr"

edit:

Also, someone uploaded the entire Wolf of Wall Street to YouTube

K. Waste fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Nov 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Still in the gas station. There’s about eight people stuck here with me. poo poo.

Thinking about greeting the next person with a “greetings, weary traveler” see how it feels.