Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Your Computer posted:

who decided to start calling that solitaire thing mahjong anyway
white people, but a different group of white people from that that invented American Mahjong, which is a distinct but equally dumb game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I hope there are chess games on the Japanese eShop that are just Uno

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

this is random but welcome

https://twitter.com/GoNintendoTweet/status/1063139031255523331

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Dehry posted:

Doesn't look like it.

Nope. Apparently every website just reports random forum/twitter posts as news.

I don't want to make a JP account just to buy this game that's already in English goddamnit

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Oh hey that tweet reminds me of something. How did that wierd super Darryl game end up shaping up? I remember thinking it looked kinda rad and very unique

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

I hope there are chess games on the Japanese eShop that are just Uno
No but instead you can play eraser wrestling
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaY5hfxedMo

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

KingSlime posted:

Oh hey that tweet reminds me of something. How did that wierd super Darryl game end up shaping up? I remember thinking it looked kinda rad and very unique

Konami cancelled it, but then Darryl and the metal gear guy and Guillermo del Toro left to make their own game together. I don't think it's coming to switch though

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The Xbox Arcade Splosion man game was one of my favorite games but I went back and tried to play it recently and it broke my brain. I don't know if I was a lot more proficient back then or if the game actually sucks but it's cool they're still around I guess.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

American McGay posted:

The Xbox Arcade Splosion man game was one of my favorite games but I went back and tried to play it recently and it broke my brain. I don't know if I was a lot more proficient back then or if the game actually sucks but it's cool they're still around I guess.

This is the slightly not as good sequel and still full of all the same extremely difficult platforming.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

Bottom Liner posted:

Any good indie/e shop games that are couch coop style like Overcooked 2?

Thumper, the co op is that one person holds the salvia bong while the player takes the hit

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
But don't blame me if you become locked in a psychic prison

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
i enjoyed project highrise on the pc - does anyone know if the switch edition has good controls?

also i am deathly addicted to d3 again

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Metroid is way too good, somehow I think I like it much better than NES Zelda, in that it feels more true to itself? Like the archetypal Zelda for me is LttP, but Metroid is clearly a thing this early on. It's brutal and tough and I'll admit I abuse the Save-State usually saving before entering a room, but I'd hate to restart things and I'm not wasting time with a password. I don't know what Zero Mission did to revamp it, but I'm glad I'm playing it as intended.

Should be noted I've only played Fusion and Prime 1+2. Which I really enjoyed but this is something else. I have Super Metroid on my SNES Classic so I know what to get to next.

It's also really whetting my appetite for Dark Souls, if I'm enjoying this this much I'm sure I'll lack the latter. I've really got to finish Octopath.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

RandomFerret posted:

Konami cancelled it, but then Darryl and the metal gear guy and Guillermo del Toro left to make their own game together. I don't think it's coming to switch though

Huh. No wonder I never heard anything from it other than in the Upcoming Titles section.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

According to Sakurai's latest column they finished the planning phase of ultimate in late 2015(before even all the dlc for 4 was out). They already had the entire roster locked in except for Incineroar, but they decided one of their roster would be from Sun/Moon they just didn't know which Pokemon yet. He ended up picking Incineroar because he wanted a character that was a pro wrestler.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

The first one is categorically better. Ms. has a bunch of bullshit no input rail sliding sections to pad out how short it is.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
nintendog ive new F-Zero please

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Metroid is way too good, somehow I think I like it much better than NES Zelda, in that it feels more true to itself? Like the archetypal Zelda for me is LttP, but Metroid is clearly a thing this early on. It's brutal and tough and I'll admit I abuse the Save-State usually saving before entering a room, but I'd hate to restart things and I'm not wasting time with a password.

maybe you know this, but if you die you don’t lose anything. you go back to the beginning of the area with like 30 health or something which sucks but if you got any items you still have them. I think it’s the same as using a password.

Zero Mission is a big ol remake, I would hardly call it the same game. Like it has the same layout for the most part and overarching goals but it is very different in pretty much every detail. It kicks rear end also. But yes play Super first

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Over There posted:

nintendog ive new F-Zero please

nintendog in f-zero? Blogging this immediately.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

KingSlime posted:

Huh. No wonder I never heard anything from it other than in the Upcoming Titles section.

it's gonna be amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOdZvUGnGeI

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

b_d posted:

maybe you know this, but if you die you don’t lose anything. you go back to the beginning of the area with like 30 health or something which sucks but if you got any items you still have them. I think it’s the same as using a password.

Zero Mission is a big ol remake, I would hardly call it the same game. Like it has the same layout for the most part and overarching goals but it is very different in pretty much every detail. It kicks rear end also. But yes play Super first

I do but back-tracking is frustrating and I like having lots of health for exploring. I don't do it liberally mainly at big crossroads. I'll eventually tackle Super Metroid. Would it be better to get the 3DS VC version of Metroid II or just get the Samus Returns remake? Does it do to 2 what Zero Mission does does to Metroid?

I kinda like the difficulty inherent to its age.

Looking through the Metroid timeline I'm reminded of Hunters. That was a fun little game that could profit from a better system (and gyro aiming!). They could do worse than attach it as an arena shooter using those characters to the new Prime.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

yeah samus returns is the same kind of total remake. it’s even more different since it has a bunch of unique mechanics, while zero mission mostly followed super and fusion in that respect.

Most people say metroid 2 didn’t age well, and maybe wasn’t that good in the first place. I wouldn’t prioritize it. Samus Returns seems mixed. I liked it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Don’t forget the not-ocelot trailer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ln4ej0h6MAw

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

b_d posted:

yeah samus returns is the same kind of total remake. it’s even more different since it has a bunch of unique mechanics, while zero mission mostly followed super and fusion in that respect.

Most people say metroid 2 didn’t age well, and maybe wasn’t that good in the first place. I wouldn’t prioritize it. Samus Returns seems mixed. I liked it.

Metroid 2 is a GB game so yeah it has not aged well. If backtracking is frustrating it can be bad as well because it has the same issue that the original had. Everything looks the same

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

b_d posted:

Metroid 2 was an impressive game for the time but the lack of color and screen crunch makes it much more frustrating to navigate than Metroid 1. Samus Returns is much better and worth playing.

All Metroid games are good except Other M. Even Federation Force is good, if you’re playing with people, and got an unfair rap.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Kart Barfunkel posted:

The lava section seems like it could be a lot cooler. The big open section where you see the roots of the tree and the bottom of the lake are really neat ideas, but the age shows.

Nah, it looked bad in 2011 too. This is the part of the game where the dev team ran out of time

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Other M is alright if you ignore literally the entirety of the story and cutscenes. I think it utilized the Wii remote pretty well and I liked the turn-to-aim-missiles system.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

KingSlime posted:

The super Darryl game came out and I've read really good things about it, but it's never been on sale, so I'm hoping they did alright sales wise.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

There’s also a fan remake of Metroid 2 that’s very much like Zero Mission for 2. Called AM2R. It’s way different from Returns, and is really well done imo. And fun and good

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Heath posted:

Other M is alright if you ignore literally the entirety of the story and cutscenes. I think it utilized the Wii remote pretty well and I liked the turn-to-aim-missiles system.

Eh the gameplay is kind of clunky. The control scheme tried something different but I don’t think it works.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

R-Type Dimensions EX is out on the 28th. Hope it paves the wave for maybe porting R-Type Final down the line, too

DirkDonkeyroot
Feb 25, 2007

Kirios posted:

I've actually heard enough of really positive feedback about the Pokeball Plus that I'm looking forward to it as well. I hope future games utilize it!

It's a piece of junk. It's laggy in throwing and didn't even have a home button.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

CharlestheHammer posted:

Metroid 2 is a GB game so yeah it has not aged well. If backtracking is frustrating it can be bad as well because it has the same issue that the original had. Everything looks the same

While things look more the same in the Gameboy version due to the palette, it actually has a much better and more navigable map because there's a linear path through the game to different hubs, each hub has a couple of mostly linear branches, and you have to clear those before the path to the next hub unlocks, which the game tells you by simulating an Earth quake. It's much better than the first Metroid in terms of knowing what you're doing and when to move on.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Heath posted:

Replaying the game on hard mode skipping every cutscene...nope still hated it. The combat is firmly rooted in the dark age of Team Ninja games, the level design is bland and repetitive, and the way the game presents its power-up system sucks out all the joy and satisfaction of progression.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
If you like the original Metroid, I’d recommend the original Metroid II. It’s not for everyone, or really even most people, and it’s quite different from even Metroid I, but it also has its unique charm and a surprisingly solid atmosphere for a Game Boy title, and if you can appreciate Metroid I, warts and all, I don’t see why you couldn’t do the same for Metroid II.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

DLC Inc posted:

R-Type Dimensions EX is out on the 28th. Hope it paves the wave for maybe porting R-Type Final down the line, too

I love R-Type but call me back when they remake R-Type 3

R-Type Final rerelease would be dope as hell though

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Just release every goddamn R-Type. Delta doesn't get enough love, that game is great.

edit: If you need an R-Type fix, Neo Geo Pulstar is available and is only 8 bucks. It's very similar to R-Type, by which I mean it is basically identical in a lot of ways, except that your not-Force is anchored to your ship and acts more like a shield.

Heath fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Nov 15, 2018

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

DirkDonkeyroot posted:

It's a piece of junk. It's laggy in throwing and didn't even have a home button.

That first criticism sounds bad but why would it have a home button?

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Heath posted:

Just release every goddamn R-Type. Delta doesn't get enough love, that game is great.

:emptyquote:

quote:

edit: If you need an R-Type fix, Neo Geo Pulstar is available and is only 8 bucks. It's very similar to R-Type, by which I mean it is basically identical in a lot of ways

Oh hell ye-

quote:

except that your not-Force is anchored to your ship and acts more like a shield.

drat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1063168744187252736?s=19