Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Stickman posted:

There were 63 votes against her in 2016, which would be more than sufficient to tank her on the floor. It's just unlikely that anyone who would vote against her on the floor would get enough support to win the floor themselves, so insurrection wouldn't be terribly productive except in the "burn it down" sense.

Has there ever been a candidate for speaker defeated on floor? It sounds like it would be messy.

The idea, presumably, is once Pelosi is defeated on the floor she withdraws, then whoever wins the Dem caucus vote will get everyone voting for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Considering that aside from Tim Ryan there appears to be no other candidate no not really.

What about Marcia Fudge? She was a name I saw a fair bit yesterday.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1063166909682802689

We dug into some of the proposed rule changesd yesterday, but this article lays out other interesting ones

quote:

Other proposed changes would seek to increase transparency and accountability. The proposed rule would make clear that an NDA could not keep a staff member from speaking to the authorities on Capitol Hill. Another would require the Ethics Committee to open an investigation within 30 days if a member is charged with a crime. Another — banning members and staff from serving on corporate boards — has already garnered bipartisan support.

A proposal from Rep. John Yarmuth (D-Ky.), the incoming Budget Committee chairman, would serve to defuse potential legislative cliffhangers over the federal debt ceiling by reinstating the “Gephardt rule” — a provision in place from 1980 to 2010 that deemed the debt ceiling raised when Congress adopted a budget.

quote:

The proposals also include undoing several rules changes put forward by Republicans when they were in the majority, including eliminating the “Holman Rule,” a provision allowing Congress to target individual employees' salaries in spending bills; renaming the Committee on Education and Workforce to the “Committee on Education and Labor”; and again allowing delegates and the resident commissioner of Puerto Rico to vote in committees. Another proposed reversal would be to eliminate the Congressional Budget Office’s use of “dynamic scoring,” the practice of taking economic growth estimates into account when projecting the fiscal effect of legislation.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

CascadeBeta posted:

What about Marcia Fudge? She was a name I saw a fair bit yesterday.

She's the choice of the right wing of the Democratic caucus and is mostly known for being one of the only four democrats to oppose a gay rights bill. She would be a bad candidate.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

evilweasel posted:

What happens if the legislature does not pass a map? Who draws the new one?

I'd assume the courts would. They have no choice because even though they aren't expected to gain or lose seats, intra-state population changes are going to force a new map.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Chilichimp posted:

I am mad on behalf of amazon employees that they did not pick Boston.

Amazon employees would literally be murdered in the streets if that happened here.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Rigel posted:

I'd assume the courts would. They have no choice because even though they aren't expected to gain or lose seats, intra-state population changes are going to force a new map.

Wisconsin courts? And if so, are those controlled by Republicans? The key thing is the state legislative map.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

evilweasel posted:

She's the choice of the right wing of the Democratic caucus and is mostly known for being one of the only four democrats to oppose a gay rights bill. She would be a bad candidate.

That's why I'm concerned. :ohdear:

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

The Glumslinger posted:

We dug into some of the proposed rule changesd yesterday, but this article lays out other interesting ones

These all seem good and right to do. Hope she wins. Really hope she isn't replaced by a "we should just focus on straight white men's economic problems" Democrat.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

The Glumslinger posted:

These sound good.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

evilweasel posted:

Wisconsin courts? And if so, are those controlled by Republicans? The key thing is the state legislative map.

The WI SC is I think

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

CascadeBeta posted:

That's why I'm concerned. :ohdear:

I don't think anyone seriously thinks she would win. I think the conservative democrats are pointing to her as someone they'd be happy with to avoid charges they're looking to put a white guy in the position.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

evilweasel posted:

I want to say it has a slight D majority because of that special election earlier in the year. The one that spooked Scott Walker (RIP).

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

evilweasel posted:

Good question. I looked up the annotated Wisconsin State Constitution and it seems to clearly force a new map. They have population deviation requirements down to the house level and with 99 districts, its unlikely the current map will just happen to still be legal.

edit: also scared incumbents will be motivated to just draw a new map to protect themselves, making deals to protect senior Dems in exchange for protecting Senior Republicans, etc. They don't want to risk a court getting involved once they know they probably have to draw a new map and it'll have to be fair, they'll just do it to keep their own jobs.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ague Proof posted:

I want to say it has a slight D majority because of that special election earlier in the year. The one that spooked Scott Walker (RIP).

Rigel posted:

Good question. I looked up the annotated Wisconsin State Constitution and it seems to clearly force a new map. They have population deviation requirements down to the house level and with 99 districts, its unlikely the current map will just happen to still be legal.

edit: also scared incumbents will be motivated to just draw a new map to protect themselves, making deals to protect senior Dems in exchange for protecting Senior Republicans, etc. They don't want to risk a court getting involved once they know they probably have to draw a new map and it'll have to be fair, they'll just do it to keep their own jobs.

Looking into it, I think that the WI SC has a republican-friendly majority (because elections are formally nonpartisan its hard to tell, but looking at the donation records on ballotpedia it seems pretty obvious) of 4-3. So that might be bad, if they just draw up a gerrymander themselves.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Apologies if already posted, but ranked choice resulted in a Dem win (because the votes for spoiler candidates tended to break for the Democrat when they were eliminated)

https://www-m.cnn.com/2018/11/15/politics/democrats-maine-house-ranked-choice-jared-golden/index.html

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

evilweasel posted:

Looking into it, I think that the WI SC has a republican-friendly majority (because elections are formally nonpartisan its hard to tell, but looking at the donation records on ballotpedia it seems pretty obvious) of 4-3. So that might be bad, if they just draw up a gerrymander themselves.

I might be less cynical than you are, which may or may not be wise. When courts are involved even if they are elected, they tend to go "ok, a new map is needed and the legislature is a pack of idiots. We'll do it, but we do not know how to do it, and we're too busy to learn mapping software. We'll appoint this professor from this university to draw one for us, he's an expert and has got experience drawing maps in other states."

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

So in like 20 years is the GOP constantly just going to be reenacting when that dead pope was put on trial with Hillary’s body over and over?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Rigel posted:

I might be less cynical than you are, which may or may not be wise. When courts are involved even if they are elected, they tend to go "ok, a new map is needed and the legislature is a pack of idiots. We'll do it, but we do not know how to do it, and we're too busy to learn mapping software. We'll appoint this professor from this university to draw one for us, he's an expert and has got experience drawing maps in other states."

quote:

In the 2000 redistricting cycle, Wisconsin's legislature passed a congressional plan that was signed on March 26, 2002. It did not, however, pass a state legislative plan, and cases were brought in both state and federal court. The state court deferred to the federal court, which issued state legislative plans on May 30, 2002, amended July 11, 2002. It does not appear that the congressional plan was challenged in court after it was enacted.
[Jensen v. Wis. Elections Bd., 639 N.W.2d 537 (Wis. 2002); Baumgart v. Wendelberger, No. 01-C-0121, 2002 WL 34127471 (E.D. Wis. May 30, 2002)]
http://redistricting.lls.edu/states-WI.php

Looks like federal courts may draw the map.

Kale
May 14, 2010

mistaya posted:

I had not seen that Daisy ad before. Hahahaha, God drat.

It and "Revolving Door", and "Wolves" are considered to be among the most devastating, infamous and effective political ads of all time. The most recent super-effective ad campaign that was surprisingly not just based on "If you vote for this guy America's enemy of the moment will get you" was Obama's "Yes We Can" series that helped get out the youth vote. By comparison Trump's whole caravan thing will be assigned to the dust bin of history and pretty much already has since the GOP immediately stopped hammering on it after the mid terms. Just ill-conceived and parroted by a total moron most people don't even trust anyway.

You have to wonder how the military units that were deployed to the border feel about blatantly being used as a political prop. It won't even surprise me if they're recalled within the next month or so.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Looks like we need to adjust the conventional wisdom for 2020 wrt "omg the gerrymander is so drat awful that we need 8% nationally to win the house." Well, no. We still have to win by more than 0% to get 50/50 so its still unfair, but we do not know how unfair. Is it 4-5%?

https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/1063156964748754944

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

evilweasel posted:

http://redistricting.lls.edu/states-WI.php

Looks like federal courts may draw the map.

huh, why would they defer to the Federal court? Equal Protection?

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/rgoodlaw/status/1063098019657195522

:lol:

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

https://twitter.com/BrianKarem/status/1063045117165080576

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Not tacky enough for his liking?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Trump's lawyers take another chug of the very fine whiskey their massive billable hours are getting them

Kale
May 14, 2010

I love how he always just rambles and rants until eventually he gives the whole plot away on record. I mean he's just giving voice to what most people already know, but if the Western world is going to have to sit and listen to him bitch and moan every day for at least another 2 years, the way he just gives out court admissible evidence to be used against him while continuing to think he's dishing out sage wisdom and punking his enemies is at least appreciated.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

I can imagine Trump berating a chair, or a particularly annoying desk.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

He already fired Comey.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Your Taint posted:

Old man yelling at a chair was the star of the 2012 RNC

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Not enough spray on gold leaf, I guess.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Your Taint posted:

Wake me up when he throws a chair Steve Ballmer style.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Trump's lawyers take another chug of the very fine whiskey their massive billable hours are getting them

depends on if they're getting paid

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Your Taint posted:

In his defense, some of that vast, empty, unused space on the resolute desk was being a real rear end in a top hat.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

evilweasel posted:

depends on if they're getting paid

Anyone who does one second of work for Donald Trump without getting paid in advance is a moron.

admittedly, I have no particular reason to believe all of his lawyers are smart

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Dude's probably broken a lot of toilet seats

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I really doubt they're getting paid for every hour. He'll probably try to stiff them by 40% or so when the bill gets sent in.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Failed Imagineer posted:

Dude's probably broken a lot of toilet seats

If hell exists, it's being reincarnated as Donald Trump's toilet.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Your Taint posted:

If hell exists, it's being reincarnated as Donald Trump's toilet.

Now I'm just imagining horrible, horrible crossovers with Sonic the Hedgehog "fan art."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I'm not too familiar with congressional history.. how common is it for an entire region to be completely single-party like this?

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1063124241237921792

Even the South elects democrats in urban and minority-dominated districts.