Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Is battle.net like some proprietary version of Steam or something? I've never even seen it, let alone had an account. What's it good for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
It started as Blizzard's multiplayer solution since Diablo, but it's evolved into a steam-like store/hub/social network for Blizzard games. (So it's not good for much.)

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Just an aside, phone security is optional. I don't even type in a password anymore, it just loads up

i think during the destiny 2-is-free period they require it for all new account signups to prevent people from farming accounts for reselling?

If you had an account previously it's just redeem and be done with it

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I mean, I got the game for "free" on the Ps4 and it was just okay, but if you don't have anything to shoot right now, why not. I had one fun multi session with a friend, that was worth it for me IMO.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Best thing about Destiny 2 is whenever they try to do something, Warframe just says gently caress you and drops a new expansion with cool poo poo in it for free. First it was Plains of Eidolon with its open world zone with flying when they released on PC, and now that Activision made Destiny 2 free Warframe dropped Fortuna with its Tony Hawk hoverboards.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.
If I were to spend $60 on either of them - I won't - it definitely would be on Warframe.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
I haven't logged into Battle.net Blizzard App BNet since 2012 because I didn't like Starcraft2, Diablo 3 was a mess, and when I decide not to give money to a company I actually follow through with it. Maybe my account still exists if it hasn't been hacked or whatever by now?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
I had an account from when I caved in and bought WoW just a couple of weeks before Mists of Pandaria but it was lost due to me not remembering a single detail about it other than the Email(which I don't use anymore)

If you still remember your stuff, it's probably there.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
at the time battlenet was good for people that played games like wow or diablo a lot because they could use it to group with friends very easily on whatever random characters and servers they're playing on

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Battle.net (the account/launcher) was/is nice for letting you add Diablo2/SC1 CD keys. Otherwise it's annoying to have yet another launcher just for one company.

Destiny 2 for free is nice, but I'm even more baffled having played it that this is a sequel. It seems like the exact same game. Not sure why they don't just charge monthly for it instead of this bizarro hybrid business model.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Escape Goat posted:

Not sure why they don't just charge monthly for it instead of this bizarro hybrid business model.

Because it works for Calladuty.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Escape Goat posted:

Battle.net (the account/launcher) was/is nice for letting you add Diablo2/SC1 CD keys. Otherwise it's annoying to have yet another launcher just for one company.

Destiny 2 for free is nice, but I'm even more baffled having played it that this is a sequel. It seems like the exact same game. Not sure why they don't just charge monthly for it instead of this bizarro hybrid business model.

https://www.polygon.com/2018/11/9/18079060/battlefield-5-ea-subscribers-early-release-date

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
As far as non-Steam clients go I have no idea why people complain about Battle.net. It is one of the absolute least intrusive launchers out there. You can click play on a game, close the launcher, and the game starts up and you don't have to worry about it again.

It's no loving Origin, UPlay, or Bethesda...

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
Origin, Uplay, and Battle.net are all fine, people just don't want to have multiple libraries.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
uplay is bad but one good thing about it is that MANY players have display names and avatars that are directly related to the game they're playing which is cute even if it's just a dumb meme

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion is free at HB if you sign up for their spam newsletter.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

You can unsub immediately though.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Samuringa posted:

Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion is free at HB if you sign up for their spam newsletter.

Also, and I only mention it because it's a mistake I've made in the past, make sure to activate the key on Steam right away, they expire a few days after the initial promotion.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

aniviron posted:

You can unsub immediately though.
It doesn't appear to be in "settings". Where?

Skwirl posted:

Also, and I only mention it because it's a mistake I've made in the past, make sure to activate the key on Steam right away, they expire a few days after the initial promotion.
Says so several times over.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.

Stick Insect posted:

https://www.humblebundle.com/user/settings

It takes a minute or two after purchase before the box appears as ticked, you can then untick it.

Still appears to be the case. Look for "Main page bundles, special Humble Store sales, and important updates"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Xander77 posted:

Says so several times over.

I know, but I think it was the same when I messed up in the past. I'm often multitasking when I read these small promos. And if it's your first time doing it you might not immediately parse the difference between getting the code from Humble and Redeeming the code on Steam.

When I buy a normal bundle from humble I don't redeem games immediately unless I'm planning on playing right away because I might want to give some of them away as gifts or something. Used to buy all my steam sale discounts (you know, when $30 games are 5 bucks) as gifts for the same reason, but they make you send them to someone right away now.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Xander77 posted:

It doesn't appear to be in "settings". Where?

Settings, contact preferences. Uncheck everything.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Escape Goat posted:

Well for one, Destiny 1 isn't on PC.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
I'm currently getting spamed on the unique e-mail address I used for dlh.net. They've either leaked or sold my data.

I posted in sept 2016:

Stick Insect posted:

:siren: DLH got hacked recently so you may wanna change your password if you already had an account there. :siren:
It might be that or it might be something else. Can't hurt to change your password again.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Everyone should take the time to visit their Humble Bundle library.

https://www.humblebundle.com/home/library

I just went down the list and added 20-30 games to my Steam account I wasn't aware that I owned. A large portion of that are games that were on my wishlist.

You may also find that some of these things have two keys or that you've already registered another copy to your account, giving you a free copy to give to a friend.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Free Outcast remake

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/...es_tile_index_1

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

This game is great but it’s super 1999.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Wait is this not giving me a steam key?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i don't even see where it would allow me to download it. i clicked its download button, it took me to a page it said was claimed by me, and then there's just a shitload of ads.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
There's a pretty good game called Warzone 2100 is also freeware, it's one of those games that allow you to make your own units through a customization menu which can lead to some pretty fun designs.

Just use Google or something and search for it and you'll find it at first choice, just be aware that the cutscenes are in a seperate file so you'll want to download those as well.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Coolguye posted:

i don't even see where it would allow me to download it. i clicked its download button, it took me to a page it said was claimed by me, and then there's just a shitload of ads.
Scroll down past all the ads and you'll find the download link.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

The Kins posted:

Scroll down past all the ads and you'll find the download link.

got it, thanks.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
Company of Heroes 2 is free to keep at Steam for a limited time

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Cool, it can sit in my library next to the unplayed copy of the first game I got from this thread.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Skwirl posted:

Cool, it can sit in my library next to the unplayed copy of the first game I got from this thread.

:same:

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1070870373183315968

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010

I remember playing this as a kid, not understanding anything. I also remember that if you stood too close to an NPC when you started talking to them they would take a big step backwards before talking, which I found hilarious.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.

From what I can tell this means installing epic's own distribution software and you'll have to use that to install/play the games.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Subnautica is excellent, as long as you don't have a fear of open water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Stick Insect posted:

From what I can tell this means installing epic's own distribution software and you'll have to use that to install/play the games.

that's definitely what it'll mean. epic is making a serious play to dethrone steam as the de-facto platform to launch your game on with greater community and game page control for game makers and a much more equitable profit split (12% to platform instead of steam's 30%)

now what they need is a shitload of people on the platform so game makers have a market to advertise to. there is no way you are getting those games without installing their platform, but from their press releases that might not be such a bad thing. the epic platform is gunning for steam directly, rather than just trying to maintain some absurd fiefdom over their own games the way EA and Ubisoft did