Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Vavrek posted:

Try applying the base T'Jell template to the cyborgs?

Haha thanks! It works! :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Wiz posted:

Everyone but Exterminators, Purifiers and Devouring Swarms can.

Vavrek posted:

But I'm so hungry.

I kind of feel like the swarm should be able to buy food, but maybe only from xenophobic or fanatic xenophobe empires? I don't think every empire would be willing to sell slaves knowing they would be the equivalent of soylent green, but fanatic xenophobes who already consider other species to be no better than pond scum might?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

binge crotching posted:

I kind of feel like the swarm should be able to buy food, but maybe only from xenophobic or fanatic xenophobe empires? I don't think every empire would be willing to sell slaves knowing they would be the equivalent of soylent green, but fanatic xenophobes who already consider other species to be no better than pond scum might?
Why would xenopboes be the only ones willing/able to sell food to xenos?

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

PittTheElder posted:

I don't understand why I'd ever want to sell a whole pop for only 500 energy credits.

Aside from the numbers not being final, emergencies can happen. Maybe a purifier attacks you and you need the energy to buy alloys, or a crisis hits, or you just decide you want to terraform your capital into a gaia world right now. Or maybe they're recently conquered and tanking your planetary stability, so you want to get rid of them. Or maybe you just want to get rid of them to use the lebensraum for your own species.

Besides, what's the productivity of an early game slave in Le Guin? Base output of 4 minerals or something like that? And they consume 1 food (presumably) and a small amount of consumer goods. 500 energy might be more than 10 years worth of net productivity, which doesn't seem that bad. Especially if you're having housing problems and can't afford to build more cities at the time. It also depends on the exchange rate you get on the market, you might be able to invest the energy into another starbase to collect trade or another colony ship or a district or whatever, which might have a better return than keeping the slave pop. Speeding up your expansion could be very valuable.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Why would xenopboes be the only ones willing/able to sell food to xenos?

I think the idea was that they'd be the only ones willing to sell slaves as food.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

binge crotching posted:

It's more from a 'a swarm wouldn't even bother with/understand the diplomatic and economic infrastructure needed to engage in pop trade' perspective.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Wiz posted:

It's more from a 'a swarm wouldn't even bother with/understand the diplomatic and economic infrastructure needed to engage in pop trade' perspective.

I figured it'd be something like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QETfA9_b7wM&t=3s

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

With regards to this system feeling icky- this game already has a genocide feature. It's full of really, really icky things with gameplay systems carefully constructed to support them. What I like about that is playing someone who's not a monster and fighting against that kind of thing.

But to that end I'd like more tools to do that. It looks like wars of ideology are getting less wonky in the next version, which is great, but I'd also like to be able to do something to crack down on the galactic slave market eventually. Even though I like the weird dynamic of buying slaves to free them... which weirdly incentivizes other people doing more enslaving.

Brother Entropy posted:

this is why paradox people always have to futilely go 'numbers in dev diaries are not final'
What do you think people mean when they say "500 seems like a lot/little"? It's not a critique of the final game or something. You can understand that the number is a placeholder and still have an opinion on whether the final number should be higher or lower. Non-final numbers are a great place to start a discussion on stuff like that. Obviously the devs are gonna have a much better feel for how 500 energy plays out, but that doesn't mean there's no room for discussion, or that calling out a wonky non-final number should be taboo or anything.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Wiz posted:

Yeah, that makes sense.

Staltran posted:

I think the idea was that they'd be the only ones willing to sell slaves as food.

Yep. I feel like not every empire that is fine with slavery would be acceptable with explicitly killing those same pops. Maybe some of them are squeamish enough to call it indentured servitude instead of slavery; an empire like that wouldn't want to outright slaughter the slaves.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Wiz posted:

Technically abducting pops is a form of trade.

Swarms should get the option to abduct pops automatically.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Really? 500 seems like a lot to me. The current nominal cost of a robot is 100 minerals and i assume the internal economic costing of a bio pop is 100 food.

I expect the cost will end up impractically high most of the time but you'll easily buy the market out at other points.

The cost isn't the energy, it's the time you don't have to spend waiting for pops to grow. Energy income isn't hard to find, so this is potentially a very easy way to boost your pop growth very substantially.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I like the idea of an egalitarian empire buying up slaves to free them. This encourages everyone to interact with the system instead of just slavers (which I feel too uncomfortable with to play, honestly).

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Yeah just like I mentioned earlier, having corporations in SPACE and slavery in SPACE and species eating each other in SPACE and immigrants/refugees in SPACE is like "ahh I don't know about this" for me. Plus the really big focus on war crimes and genocide and blowing up planets full of living beings or exterminating them, space being scary and full of mean interdimensional ghosts, I get the thematic choice but I find it's not my preference. I'm more about the conquering poo poo and having fleets and doing the 4x gameplay, and yes I get those are there for flavor and immersion.

This is why I play robot hive minds but now that trade is not an option for gestalts, I'll look for some other stuff.

It would have been neat to see Stellaris done in a sort of "Legend of Galactic Heroes" style / tone instead of the "ooga booga space ghosts and eating sapients lmao :twisted:" style, for me.

Ham Sandwiches fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Nov 15, 2018

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

blowing up spaceships of living beings is fine but corporations or slavery is a step too far?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

logh had all of that except cannibalism and aliens though. slavery is up to interpretation

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ham Sandwiches posted:

I'm more about the conquering poo poo and having fleets and doing the 4x gameplay, and yes I get those are there for flavor and immersion.

What do you think the "reality" of conquering poo poo is?

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

hobbesmaster posted:

You can model or simulate whatever you want in a videogame. In this particular space game about picking a set of traits and heading into the stars to exploit resources and fulfill whatever objectives your species has, I don't find that the choices to include that level of detail add to the game. And for me, they detract.

quote:

logh had all of that except cannibalism and aliens though. slavery is up to interpretation

Yeah that's my point you can do a heavy space opera without the cannibalism. It is in fact doable.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

hobbesmaster posted:

I would prefer it if Stellaris was closer to Legend of the Galactic Heroes in its presentation of space warfare.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37diFSm_vPA

Cannibalism free zone.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Just fuckin' lol if you imagine your ships having fragile bio-pop crews.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Both psi shields and psi jump drives make direct reference to the crew being on board. Don't know of any other parts that do though.

E:

quote:

The Psi Jump Drive harnesses the psi energies emitted by the crew to force the vessel through the very fabric of reality, instantly "jumping" vast distances.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Rynoto posted:

Both psi shields and psi jump drives make direct reference to the crew being on board. Don't know of any other parts that do though.

E:

The fluff text in the game seem to indicate private property and even "corporations" exist within my empire. The fluff text is mostly incorrect.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Wiz posted:

Everyone but Exterminators, Purifiers and Devouring Swarms can.

The Swarm would like to lodge a formal complaint about this heinous discrimination and demand that the Galactic Market allow them access to the Snack Bar Slave Market.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

So I turned my cyborgs into wholesome psionic citizens and everything is great.

One thing that feels more like an exploit though: I originally tested it with a small number that had migrated to a different planet by applying the base species template to them, this was real quick and I could then assimilate the two pops that didn't have cybernetics anymore in just a single year.
Then after that I could go to the species window and apply the template with psionic ascension to the cyborgs and complete the project for all 135 of them in 7 months because my science output is awesome, rather than having to wait for years and years where it trickles in at maybe 4 per year, with no unhappiness or unrest to deal with either.

And I finally bothered finishing and colonizing my ringworld. Apparently one of the workers was disgruntled because they installed the Infectious event on section B and killed off 8 pops and ruined a physics tile by turning it into a monument at the end.

P.S. Why does my ringworld come with alien pets and 6 tiles of betharian stone? The system I built it in didn't even have any resources in it.
I'm not complaining, but seems kinda silly that a builder just creates some alien pets when working on sculpting artificial continent.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

You know, with the new planet management, I bet you could make a pretty cool pre-FTL mechanic.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Ham Sandwiches posted:

You can model or simulate whatever you want in a videogame. In this particular space game about picking a set of traits and heading into the stars to exploit resources and fulfill whatever objectives your species has, I don't find that the choices to include that level of detail add to the game. And for me, they detract.

Yeah that's my point you can do a heavy space opera without the cannibalism. It is in fact doable.

It's practically invisible unless you decide to participate in those mechanics. Like, there's the Delicious trait, and setting the purge type to consumption, and that's it. There's no news ticker proclaiming the number of lives lost to the meat packing plants or anything in the diplomacy screens. In comparison slavery is more visible because there's more mechanics that relate to it (civics, techs, traditions, occasional mentions in the factions demands) but during the course of regular gameplay it is also mostly invisible unless you participate.

If it's the idea that things exist at all that nags at you constantly then I'm surprised you've lasted this long on the internet.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Geemer posted:

P.S. Why does my ringworld come with alien pets and 6 tiles of betharian stone? The system I built it in didn't even have any resources in it.
I'm not complaining, but seems kinda silly that a builder just creates some alien pets when working on sculpting artificial continent.

Sounds like somebody made a trip to Vergon 6 and brought back some Nibblonians.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

isndl posted:

It's practically invisible unless you decide to participate in those mechanics. Like, there's the Delicious trait, and setting the purge type to consumption, and that's it. There's no news ticker proclaiming the number of lives lost to the meat packing plants or anything in the diplomacy screens. In comparison slavery is more visible because there's more mechanics that relate to it (civics, techs, traditions, occasional mentions in the factions demands) but during the course of regular gameplay it is also mostly invisible unless you participate.

If it's the idea that things exist at all that nags at you constantly then I'm surprised you've lasted this long on the internet.

Ah yes and yet strangely enough I have no problem with things in general, or the internet, and somehow I do question the particular design decisions in Stellaris.

When Sword of the Stars can do a better job figuring out how to do the tone with immortal crazy space dolphins and vicious rats that bore through space, I think that's telling. However, maybe you like Stellaris particular choice of representation, and that's great. Making that statement doesn't require me to make some weird backhanded jab about how your standards are weird or how it must be toooottallly hard on the internet with your bizarre beliefs or whatever.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

wouldn't a backhanded jab just be a slap

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Stellaris is a science fiction sandbox. If you want it to fit a particular level of science fiction optimism/pessimism, make a shitload of empires that fit what you want and don't let randos spawn. Rehashing this conversation for the umpteenth time is super unnecessary because it's always the same people having it.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Geemer posted:

They found them while tearing planets and asteroids apart.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Splicer posted:

They found them while tearing planets and asteroids apart.

Yeah the betharian stone deposits were too deep inside of a planet to detect before it was broken up into bits and the alien pets are just baby graboids.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Ah yes and yet strangely enough I have no problem with things in general, or the internet, and somehow I do question the particular design decisions in Stellaris.

When Sword of the Stars can do a better job figuring out how to do the tone with immortal crazy space dolphins and vicious rats that bore through space, I think that's telling. However, maybe you like Stellaris particular choice of representation, and that's great. Making that statement doesn't require me to make some weird backhanded jab about how your standards are weird or how it must be toooottallly hard on the internet with your bizarre beliefs or whatever.

Aren't the vicious rats eating people anyway? I think I remember that from the lore

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

isndl posted:

There's no news ticker proclaiming the number of lives lost to the meat packing plants or anything in the diplomacy screens.
I know this isn't the type of thing you meant but it reminded me that I really want some sort of atrocity popup. Optional of course, but something that lets you know a purge started, or a species reintroduced slavery after you fought a war to ban it five years ago. Or even that these people have synths now and (chose one) that's an affront to god/they're oppressing conscious beings.

More notifications about other empire's internal matters would go a long way to giving us more things to easily care about besides painting the galaxy our color.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

So, galactic twitter?

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Psycho Landlord posted:

Stellaris is a science fiction sandbox. If you want it to fit a particular level of science fiction optimism/pessimism, make a shitload of empires that fit what you want and don't let randos spawn. Rehashing this conversation for the umpteenth time is super unnecessary because it's always the same people having it.

I'm continually amazed that people continue to engage Ham "Every game is XCom" Sandwiches in good faith debate

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Eiba posted:

I know this isn't the type of thing you meant but it reminded me that I really want some sort of atrocity popup. Optional of course, but something that lets you know a purge started, or a species reintroduced slavery after you fought a war to ban it five years ago. Or even that these people have synths now and (chose one) that's an affront to god/they're oppressing conscious beings.

More notifications about other empire's internal matters would go a long way to giving us more things to easily care about besides painting the galaxy our color.

Yeah, that's exactly what I want. I want country's crimes and atrocities to be known and effect the game more than some strictly numerical relationship penalty. And I want mechanics related to this that would give me a way to react. Let me know my neighbour is doing a genocide, or has just conquered and enslaved a primitive species, and let that be a valid CB to intervene.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Eiba posted:

A galactic news ticker came up earlier in the thread and I still want it.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
With the slave market, can we buy slaves and free them?

Quick way to fill up the population on our planets I guess.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Splicer posted:

A galactic news ticker came up earlier in the thread and I still want it.

Chirpy: Now in cyborg, psychic, perfect genetic being, sleek immortal machine, hive mind, Borg, and robot bird swarm flavors!

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

IAmTheRad posted:

With the slave market, can we buy slaves and free them?

Quick way to fill up the population on our planets I guess.

Dev diary said you could.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Pyroi posted:

Dev diary said you could.

One of the megacorps did it in the dev clash.