Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Please tell me you didn't just spoil some huge reveal of the Return of Wolverine series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Wait, Wolverine is the Phoenix?

Are you loving with me here?

Is this just Thor? The story's set at the end of time or w/e, so nothing to worry about.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I mean, maybe. But it's from Thor I think.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

gently caress yeah, Cyclops is coming back! I'll pick up the series because of that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

davebo posted:

Please tell me you didn't just spoil some huge reveal of the Return of Wolverine series

I haven't read a single issue of any of it. I just saw an already released page in the Marvel thread.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Read Thor, ya goof.

e: Ah. Hadn't gotten around to Avengers #700 yet.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Wolverine is the Phoenix in Jason Aaron's Thor story that is set millions of years in the future. In Avengers 700, also by Aaron, Wolverine shows up at the end of the issue with looking like his normal self but with the Phoenix powers. He also talks about how he's been alive for eons though. So what's going on is anybody's guess.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm super far behind on everything. I can wait for trades.

But that would explain the hot claws.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

hope and vaseline posted:

Has Rosenberg gotten any better? I remember being very bleh at his Secret Warriors run and the Phoenix mini.
Doubtful. I have no idea why they keep putting this guy on the X-books, he's been consistently bad at writing X-Men.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

X-O posted:

Wolverine is the Phoenix in Jason Aaron's Thor story that is set millions of years in the future. In Avengers 700, also by Aaron, Wolverine shows up at the end of the issue with looking like his normal self but with the Phoenix powers. He also talks about how he's been alive for eons though. So what's going on is anybody's guess.

I'm pretty sure that was future Phoenixerine time traveling.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Teenage Fansub posted:

Looks like Rosenberg gets UXM when it goes monthly.
https://twitter.com/AshcanPress/status/1063082661336567809

Ths is my fault, I found a monkey's paw and wished that Greg Land wouldn't be the artist on UXM.

Larocca is the loving worst. His art on Star Wars literally made me nauseous.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Larocca is weird. Sometimes he's godawful and sub-Land and sometimes he's actually pretty good. I keep wanting him to go back to whatever he was doing on the Cable and X-Force series he did with Dennis Hopeless. I really enjoyed his art in that. The designs were a little overly busy for my tastes but I enjoyed the art.

Every time I see someone post a Star Wars panel from him though it's the loving worst.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

X-O posted:

Larocca is weird. Sometimes he's godawful and sub-Land and sometimes he's actually pretty good. I keep wanting him to go back to whatever he was doing on the Cable and X-Force series he did with Dennis Hopeless. I really enjoyed his art in that. The designs were a little overly busy for my tastes but I enjoyed the art.

Every time I see someone post a Star Wars panel from him though it's the loving worst.

Huh. His Star Wars is so bad it made me forget that he did other stuff. His work on Cable and X-Force was unremarkable but basically fine, yeah.

I wonder if it's more the coloring on Star Wars that's making it look awful, or Larocca's tracing and the colorist's colors in some sort of terrible feedback loop.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
That cover looks soooo bad. I guess I'll see why Cyclops is back, though.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Larocca's level of tolerable art depends entirely on how much photo reference he decides to use. He can do a good job without photo reference (or at least drawing/sketching over it enough so it's not immediately obvious that he's just tracing Harrison Ford for Han Solo or most confusingly Sawyer from Lost for Iron Man after the movie came out) but he's done that less and less in the past decade.

EDIT: Though I guess he is in that cover, which I assumed at first glance was Joe Quesada with a mediocre-to-bad ink job.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
So, in X-Men: Red Cassandra Nova has a mind controlled Forge building her weapons. I see he was in that run of X-Force I didn't read, was he in anything else between the two?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

He was making the mist nullifying machines in Inhumans vs X-Men.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Nothing in uncanny really grabbed me and the uncanny team looks boring (writer,artist,cast) I hope there will be another book announced with characters like rockslide and co. They are a focus so either it’s going to spin off into something or they are all going to be killed. Right now the only x titles worth anything are red and gambit/rogue

radlum
May 13, 2013
Way to blow the UXM comeback. I like Rosenberg but Larroca is just awful; his work on Star Wars was terrible most of the time (and barely OK when not terrible).

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comics/february-2019-enter-the-age-of-x-man

quote:

Coming February 2019, the AGE OF X-MAN dawns, and the X-Men cannot stop it. After the apocalyptic dissolution of the X-Men comes…AGE OF X-MAN!

AGE OF X-MAN: THE MARVELOUS X-MEN #1 (OF 5)

Written by Lonnie Nadler & Zac Thompson
Art by Marco Failla
Cover by Phil Noto
February 6, 2019

AGE OF X-MAN: NEXTGEN #1 (OF 5)

Written by Ed Brisson
Art by Marcus To
Cover by Chris Bachalo
February 13, 2019

AGE OF X-MAN: THE AMAZING NIGHTCRAWLER #1 (of 5)

Written by Seanan McGuire
Art by Juan Frigeri
Cover by Shane Davis, Michelle Delecki, & Federico Blee
February 20, 2019

AGE OF X-MAN: THE X-TREMISTS #1 (of 5)

Written by Leah Williams
Art by Georges Jeanty
Cover by Razzah
February 27, 2019

AGE OF X-MAN: APOCALYPSE AND THE X-TRACTS #1 (OF 5)

Written by Tim Seeley
Art by Salva Espin
Cover by Gerardo Sandoval
March 6, 2019

AGE OF X-MAN: PRISONER X #1 (of 5)

Written by Vita Ayala
Art by German Peralta
Cover by Patch Zircher
March 13, 2019

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Nov 17, 2018

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

So Age of X-Man is some alternate reality/universe thing that pulls in all the current X-Men and other mutants. Meanwhile Wolverine and a recently-returned Cyclops are left behind and team up as the Last X-Men. That's my guess to everything.

But whatever, so long as Scott is back!

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Disco Apocalypse is a fun concept.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Finally a story where the x men are destroyed

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
Destroyed X-men has been done, so that angle is less interesting, but the alternate reality books could be pretty cool.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
Doe anyone else think "The X-tremists!!" is the most cringey name ever?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Not with The X-tracts right there.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Gynovore posted:

Reminds me of Gambit and the X-ternals. Which was still a fairly decent part of AoA back in the day.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The X-amples!
The X-aggerators!
The X-foliators!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gynovore posted:

There was a book called Xtreme X-Men and I know at least part of it's run has some fans here.

Unrelated:
Whatever happened to Kidpocalypse?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
I know a little bit about this event for reasons, and remain hopeful. At least one of the books is gonna be really good, so.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I am interested in that one that has the kids. Looks like Tempest is on the team. The Apocalypse one makes it look like he's become an artist.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Seeing it posted on Twitter I just realized the cover for Apocalypse and the X-Tracts cover features Eye Boy wearing sunglasses, which is a bit like wearing a hat to a nude beach to avoid skin cancer.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
This is getting pitched as an alternate universe, but this is the first time in... maybe four years, possibly more, where X-Men rosters have looked even halfway interesting to me.

Also, holy poo poo, Maggot!!!!

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Teenage Fansub posted:

The X-amples!
The X-aggerators!
The X-foliators!

The X-hibitionists

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

The X-amples!
The X-aggerators!
I'd read these

Alaois posted:

The X-hibitionists
And this.

There was a one shot called X-Women, but I haven't read it and it's written by 90s Claremont and illustrated by Milo Manara, so...

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

You wouldn't read an X team that's all about skin care?!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Teenage Fansub posted:

You wouldn't read an X team that's all about skin care?!
RIP Skin, taken from us too soon

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Probably Magic posted:

This is getting pitched as an alternate universe, but this is the first time in... maybe four years, possibly more, where X-Men rosters have looked even halfway interesting to me.

Also, holy poo poo, Maggot!!!!

This is where I'm at. More than half of these I want to pick up just based on the casts alone. It looks generally strong in the writing department, too.

It is a bit confusing where the Age of Apocalypse nostalgia is coming from though. It's not an anniversary, the stuff hasn't really been dealt with recently. I really liked the arc in I think X-Treme X-Men where they killed off the universe for good.

Good to see that all six of X-Man's fans are getting a treat I suppose.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Nessus posted:

The cowl comes off of Cyclops and it was Skin beneath it. He just was wearing Cyclops uniform because the alternate universe was very sunny and Cyclops uniform has a lot of UV protection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Nessus posted:

But if he hadn't died, then we never would have gotten the scene of Jubilee standing over his grave saying how much she wished she boned him before he died.