Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

EvilTaytoMan posted:

Also imagine getting stuck on say the Yunalesca fight and having to rewatch the same 10 minute cutscene every time you lose.

After the second time I lost I remembered to back out of the room where she talks to you for 5 minutes and then leaves to the nearest save point so I didn't have to watch both of those cutscenes again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mega64 posted:

What does Luso's design tell you?

It tells me he really likes the mantis shrimp.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I've been trying to think of a way to make this statement without sounding like a dick.... but I am legitimately confused as to why someone who skips cutscenes in games would choose to play a JRPG

I enjoy the gameplay? Why would you play a game for tens of hours if the game isnt fun to play?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I've been trying to think of a way to make this statement without sounding like a dick.... but I am legitimately confused as to why someone who skips cutscenes in games would choose to play a JRPG

it's barudak's gimmick

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Paperhouse posted:

There's a mod that enables cutscene skip for the remaster I believe

Speaking of, I am liking the Sin Unleashed mod. Nightmare is a bit too much of a hassle but Chimera seems just right for gameplay that requires some thought but isn't frustratingly hard. Blitzball is still extremely easy once you sign a couple of good players though (and maybe even if you don't)

Project X. It has a bunch of features including cutscene skip. I have it because it's required for pretty much every texture mod which I am using. in addition to Sun Unleashed.

I am only at Killika so haven't seen too much of Sin Unleashed. Even on Nightmare bosses have less HP than FFX Punishment I think. Sphere levels are also easier to get. I actually managed to Overkill the underwater boss by getting two lightning reels with Wakka. Total accident but I'll take it. It was especially funny after the fight started with the Sin fish all attacking Tidus and immediately killing him. I figured it was a do over for sure but nope.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Which one of these hard mode FFX mods is generally agreed upon to be good, out of curiosity?

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Polsy posted:

After the second time I lost I remembered to back out of the room where she talks to you for 5 minutes and then leaves to the nearest save point so I didn't have to watch both of those cutscenes again.

I feel like I got real lucky first time I played FFX, I thought the second phase would be the last and blew all my big attacks on it, the third phase came down to only Kimahri with a useless Rikku in reserve, and the only option I had left at the end of the fight was to physically attack for 400 damage and that wound up finishing it. I got wrecked bad multiple times by Seymour on Gagazet though

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Elentor posted:

Which one of these hard mode FFX mods is generally agreed upon to be good, out of curiosity?

So far as I know, there are only two FFX gameplay mods in existence. I just played most of one and also just started the second. The second is only a few months old while the other has been around for years and was made by a guy who is pretty well-known among FF hard mod fans.

From what little I know, this Sin Unleashed sounds a lot more interesting as the first mod I played, Punishment, was just "lower your numbers and make their numbers higher."

I've been meaning to do this for a few days now so I'm just gonna take this excuse to do it. These are my recommended FF hard mods:

FFVI: I think most here know Brave New World? It's what got me to finally finish the game and it was brilliant. However, since it's well known, I would like to humbly suggest Return of the Dark Sorcerer. Gameplay, music, spirtes, world map, story - it's all different but not so different. I had a great deal of fun with this and my only complaint is it should have restricted Espers like BNW did. There's a patch for that apparently.

FFVII: New Threat. Everything people here hate about hard mods is missing from this masterpiece. It substantially alters every facet of the game and doesn't just gently caress the numbers up to gently caress you over. Things I especially love: characters have unique and individualistic stats as well as innate abilities unique to them, you can play the Field music during battles(so you can have random battles in say the Temple of the Ancients with the amazing Temple of the Ancients theme constantly playing instead of having it interrupted by the normal battle theme. It's very immersive and I love it.), tons of new story and gameplay content like bosses, sidequests, etc., and much, much more. It is the definitive way to replay FFVII in my humble opinion.

FFVIII: Ragnarok Rebalancing. New sidequests and bosses, Triple Triad isn't broken to hell and the high level cards are restricted until the appropriate time, characters have individualized stats like Zell being physically strong and magically weak, and a ton more I haven't seen yet since I have only played up to NORG. It is easily the best FFVIII mod I've sen as it keeps both physical and magical damage as viable options while also adding new content. Don't wanna surprise you as it surprised me and was very pleasant to just have the familiar routine shaken up.

FFIX: Alternate Fantasy. New skills for about half the party, spells like Fire and Blizzard can now inflict status ailments like Heat or Freeze, permanently playable Beatrix and overall just the right blend of challenging without making you hate your life IMO Honestly, both FFIX gameplay mods I've played through were absolutely fantastic. People put a lot of love and care into the mods and don't just change some digits around in a program or whatever.

Although, a warning.If you think "eh, I always use Eiko, I'll use Garnet this run" ,ake sure not to neglect Eiko. You will need that Dispel. It's not optional. I'm never using Garnet again after she hosed me over so hard against Necron. Or, well, I hosed myself over by only using four characters and ignoring everybody else but that's just how I play my RPG's....

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Nov 15, 2018

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Elentor posted:

There are only two afaik, Punishment (for the PS2 version) and Sin Unleashed (for the remaster) which is what we're mostly talking about now. Sin Unleashed has a hard mode and an even harder mode, although it may be that neither are as hard as the Punishment mod.

I can only speak for Sin Unleashed but so far I like it a lot. One neat thing is that you can toggle between the modes, so if something seems too hard or too easy you can switch the mode to make it easier or harder.

One thing I did notice playing Sin Unleashed - Auron died and it didn't seem like I could use a Phoenix Down on him. Pretty sure that wasn't the case in the original? It sort of makes sense plotwise (or does it) but in gameplay terms it's actually pretty annoying. Maybe it was just a bug though idk, it only happened once

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

FFVII: New Threat. Everything people here hate about hard mods is missing from this masterpiece. It substantially alters every facet of the game and doesn't just gently caress the numbers up to gently caress you over. Things I especially love: characters have unique and individualistic stats as well as innate abilities unique to them, you can play the Field music during battles(so you can have random battles in say the Temple of the Ancients with the amazing Temple of the Ancients theme constantly playing instead of having it interrupted by the normal battle theme. It's very immersive and I love it.), tons of new story and gameplay content like bosses, sidequests, etc., and much, much more. It is the definitive way to replay FFVII in my humble opinion.

this is the only one of these i've played but it is incredibly good

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Paperhouse posted:

There are only two afaik, Punishment (for the PS2 version) and Sin Unleashed (for the remaster) which is what we're mostly talking about now. Sin Unleashed has a hard mode and an even harder mode, although it may be that neither are as hard as the Punishment mod.

I can only speak for Sin Unleashed but so far I like it a lot. One neat thing is that you can toggle between the modes, so if something seems too hard or too easy you can switch the mode to make it easier or harder.

One thing I did notice playing Sin Unleashed - Auron died and it didn't seem like I could use a Phoenix Down on him. Pretty sure that wasn't the case in the original? It sort of makes sense plotwise (or does it) but in gameplay terms it's actually pretty annoying. Maybe it was just a bug though idk, it only happened once

Not gonna read the spoiler now, just wondering where you are in the game so I can come back and look at it when I get to that part?

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

NikkolasKing posted:

Not gonna read the spoiler now, just wondering where you are in the game so I can come back and look at it when I get to that part?

I'm at Mushroom Rock. You've played the game before so you can read it, it's not related to any new content in the mod, just a small gameplay change. I sort of felt silly spoilering it since I'm sure everyone reading this has played the game before but hey

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Hmmm, This Noctis fishing minigame in Woff Maxima can go clean to hell.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NikkolasKing posted:

So far as I know, there are only two FFX gameplay mods in existence. I just played most of one and also just started the second. The second is only a few months old while the other has been around for years and was made by a guy who is pretty well-known among FF hard mod fans.

From what little I know, this Sin Unleashed sounds a lot more interesting as the first mod I played, Punishment, was just "lower your numbers and make their numbers higher."

I've been meaning to do this for a few days now so I'm just gonna take this excuse to do it. These are my recommended FF hard mods:

FFVI: I think most here know Brave New World? It's what got me to finally finish the game and it was brilliant. However, since it's well known, I would like to humbly suggest Return of the Dark Sorcerer. Gameplay, music, spirtes, world map, story - it's all different but not so different. I had a great deal of fun with this and my only complaint is it should have restricted Espers like BNW did. There's a patch for that apparently.

FFVIII: Ragnarok Rebalancing. New sidequests and bosses, Triple Triad isn't broken to hell and the high level cards are restricted until the appropriate time, characters have individualized stats like Zell being physically strong and magically weak, and a ton more I haven't seen yet since I have only played up to NORG. It is easily the best FFVIII mod I've sen as it keeps both physical and magical damage as viable options while also adding new content. Don't wanna surprise you as it surprised me and was very pleasant to just have the familiar routine shaken up.

FFIX: Alternate Fantasy. New skills for about half the party, spells like Fire and Blizzard can now inflict status ailments like Heat or Freeze, permanently playable Beatrix and overall just the right blend of challenging without making you hate your life IMO Honestly, both FFIX gameplay mods I've played through were absolutely fantastic. People put a lot of love and care into the mods and don't just change some digits around in a program or whatever.

Although, a warning.If you think "eh, I always use Eiko, I'll use Garnet this run" ,ake sure not to neglect Eiko. You will need that Dispel. It's not optional. I'm never using Garnet again after she hosed me over so hard against Necron. Or, well, I hosed myself over by only using four characters and ignoring everybody else but that's just how I play my RPG's....

Thank you for the effortpost/compilation! Gonna check these out.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

So, I picked up FF12 Zodiac Age a while back, but never actually started it; I played a little of the first release a long while back, but couldn't really get invested and poo poo like the 'don't open certain chests or you're hosed' set me too on edge. That changes today.

So, any tips or must-know for someone going in mostly blind?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

StrangeAeon posted:

So, I picked up FF12 Zodiac Age a while back, but never actually started it; I played a little of the first release a long while back, but couldn't really get invested and poo poo like the 'don't open certain chests or you're hosed' set me too on edge. That changes today.

The chests tied to a reward later thing is gone, chests no longer all have random loot and some of it is really good (including spells now) so try to clean out dungeons when you go through. Conversely your reward for beating the demon walls is now mediocre for no discernable reason.

You will get to equip two jobs to a character, dont swear combos or optimization as the game was originally released with only one job and the stats stack so you will be outrageously overpowered no matter your combos.

Machinist is the "worst" class so try not to make a party that are 12 machinists unless you want the weirdest challenge run you can think of

Characters can only ever get 3 mists despite having 4 spaces on their boards. This means if 4 mists block off things, youll have to pick one thing to sacrifice. This is super important for the class that gets ninja blades because you can lock yourself out of the endgame equipment if you just buy the first three mist slots.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

StrangeAeon posted:

The game is sorta designed to be played with a guide. Some spells you only find in chests. Most endgame gear is also acquired this way.

Its not a hard game so you can easily manage without a guide but for completionists its a must.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

If there's 12 classes and (I think?) 6 party members, then that's 2 per person if I want to keep things even. And I do.

Are there particular combinations I should be aware of, good or bad?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Machinist is useless and offers basically no benefit so don't combine that with any class

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

corn in the bible posted:

Machinist is useless and offers basically no benefit so don't combine that with any class

Guns are cool

DanZX
May 5, 2015

Hey guys seeing how FFXV is not getting any more DLC after Episode Ardyn, I decided to finally start this game that's been stored in my backlog since 2016.

Any tips, recommendations, missables or cool stuff I should be aware of? I have all the DLC I think (even a weird Cup Noodle helmet...)

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Stay at every camp, and every motel. Sometimes that will unlock sidequests or unique dialogue. Igni's cooking is OP.

Don't just mash or hold the attack button. There are different attacks if you press different directions, and some weapons have powerful attacks if you attack, pause, then attack. Attacks do more damage from behind, and if you're standing close to a buddy they will do a team attack which is really powerful.

Magic is OP and can wipe out entire groups of enemies at once. There aren't really any missables so play at your own pace. But get your hands on chocobos as soon as you can because they're fun.

Watch the free anime episodes. They are nice and chill and flesh out the bros. You can watch Kingsglaive if you want, but the first four minutes or so are really all you need (I highly recommend you watch those four minutes though).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UblcNFVVHT8

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Nov 15, 2018

Barudak
May 7, 2007

DanZX posted:

Hey guys seeing how FFXV is not getting any more DLC after Episode Ardyn, I decided to finally start this game that's been stored in my backlog since 2016.

Any tips, recommendations, missables or cool stuff I should be aware of? I have all the DLC I think (even a weird Cup Noodle helmet...)

Do not sell the engine blade you start the game with as it upgrades into one of the best weapons in the game. In fact dont sell any weapon unless you have multiples of them or can buy them from the shop.

It used to be you couldnt sell it but due to NG+ you now can which was not great.

The AP skills that generate more AP are basically traps. You will never break even on them.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

StrangeAeon posted:

If there's 12 classes and (I think?) 6 party members, then that's 2 per person if I want to keep things even. And I do.

Are there particular combinations I should be aware of, good or bad?

There are only bad combos in relative terms. Some are simply more powerful. Some of my personal favorites:

Bushi/Monk: lots of HP, strength and magic nodes. Good selection of White Magic and Genji Gloves for high endgame dps.

White Mage / Shikari: Very tanky and the superboss killer

Red Mage / Archer: good nukes, archer is a viable dps with right gear

Black Mage / Knight: You either nuke things or late game you will have touch of death combo with Excalibur + White Robes

I guess that leaves you with Time Mage, Uhlan, Machinist and Foebreaker which are not bad jobs on their own but sorta get ignored because other combos are better.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Nov 15, 2018

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Build Noctis as a monk and make Ignis your Dragoon. Nobody should take Red Mage as dualcast is broken right now because spells still go on global cooldown after 1 cast and RM's only use is dualcast. Maybe if Tabata hadn't gotten fired he would have pushed a patch to fix it, but as of right now, November 15(16 in Japan) 2018 it's broken as hell. Gladio sucks at every Job but put him in the Idol job for giggles because he has the best Dances. Prompto is the second best jack of all trades after Jared, and bonus points: Prompto doesn't die at the end of his sidequest like Jared does

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Gologle posted:

Build Noctis as a monk and make Ignis your Dragoon. Nobody should take Red Mage as dualcast is broken right now because spells still go on global cooldown after 1 cast and RM's only use is dualcast. Maybe if Tabata hadn't gotten fired he would have pushed a patch to fix it, but as of right now, November 15(16 in Japan) 2018 it's broken as hell. Gladio sucks at every Job but put him in the Idol job for giggles because he has the best Dances. Prompto is the second best jack of all trades after Jared, and bonus points: Prompto doesn't die at the end of his sidequest like Jared does

What the making GBS threads gently caress?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Oh good I wasn't the only one who saw that.

I just assumed I was having a stroke.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Onmi posted:

What the making GBS threads gently caress?

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Oh good I wasn't the only one who saw that.

I just assumed I was having a stroke.

go logled again

i asked myself, "what is a good sub skill for a summoner, in fft?"

>item

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Sin Unleashed Report: I am going with Nightmare Mode and Seymour Path. I just left Killika Temple and noticed I had this Seymour guy in my party. Dunno who that is since we haven't met him yet. More importantly, he took Kimahri's awesome three element warding armor from the Temple Destruction Sphere chest. If Kimahri is gonna be gone, I need to at least sell that poo poo. Probably worth a small fortune for this point in the game.

Man I was so mad when I looked up the O'aka stuff. I lent him like 4000-5000 Gil in my last run and all that money between 1001 Gil to 10,001 is just dropped into the void and means nothing. How are you supposed to know that?

It's like the fact you can have cutscenes with Rikku in Guadosalam...five seconds after you recruit her. Nobody is going to get that scene without knowing about it. You'll get the Lulu scene because Lulu is invaluable at this point. You basically need to spend an hour or two outside Guadosalam using Rikku and personally killing Lulu if you want the Rikku scenes.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Took the plunge and started a new file on 12:Zodiac. Shoved Vaan into Shikari because I'm boring, and now that Penelo is here she's a Black Mage.

I cannot help but feel like I'm already loving things up for myself down the line.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

StrangeAeon posted:

Took the plunge and started a new file on 12:Zodiac. Shoved Vaan into Shikari because I'm boring, and now that Penelo is here she's a Black Mage.

I cannot help but feel like I'm already loving things up for myself down the line.

Well yeah, youve given classes you may want to use to characters who are awful

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

I made Penelo a monk and it ruled.

Solovey
Mar 24, 2009

motive: secret baby

all of the jobs in 12tza, much like the characters themselves, are good

(real talk, as long as you don't do something silly like make everyone a white mage then it's not really possible to gently caress yourself with job choices, everyone is good at everything regardless of what some gamefaqs grognards have calculated to be optimal animation speeds or whatever the gently caress. however it IS possible to gently caress yourself out of stuff on the license board by not picking your quickening and summon slots carefully, so you may want to give your license boards a good once-over before you commit to those)

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

StrangeAeon posted:

I gave both characters those same classes and they were both good

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Gologle posted:

Why did you have to bring up Jared, man? I'm still hurting you know.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
before i played ff15 i just assumed that vyv was jared

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Edit: Nevermind what i said just now. The reason enemies got easier is the mod randomly turned off for some reason. I realized it when fighting the fish after winning the tournament. Oh well. I only beat up some more easy than normal machina for a handful of battles.

I am loving the Auto Save function. Sure the game doesn't have cutscene skip without mods but Auto Save is helping a lot. Here's hoping it Auto Saves before teh Blitzball game and also Yunalesca or other hard bosses.

Similarly, I hear there is a Save right before fighting Necron in FFIX PC. That is also good news for if I ever play a modded version of IX for PC I anticipate Necron being near impossible. Really hate that fight now because there's something peculiar to Necron, like the fact there are multiples of him or something and they all have their own turns so you can theoretically have one use Blue Shockwave on you and then "the other one" immediately takes its turn and kills your character who now only has 1 HP.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Nov 16, 2018

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Now I don't know whether I start NT or Sin Unleashed first. Life truly offers some cruel dilemmas sometimes.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Elentor posted:

Now I don't know whether I start NT or Sin Unleashed first. Life truly offers some cruel dilemmas sometimes.

Honesty? I guess it depends on whether you have played FFVII or FFX more recently and/or which game you just like more. I'd go with New Threat. Maybe there's more in store for me in future but so far Sin Unleashed is just slightly harder than normal FFX. It's very much the same game.

New Threat fundamentally changes huge swaths of FFVII. It's a totally different game from a gameplay perspective. (and it even adds some neat little story tweaks. Nothing major but cool surprises for first time through the mod)

New Threat is hands down the best FF Mod I've ever seen. Brave New World and Return of the Dark Sorcerer are comparable but I grew up on FFVII so it holds a special place in my heart.

P.S.
I forgot to mention New Threat offers "cutscene skip" of its own. So many complain about Cloud's Past even though it is like the most iconic part of FFVII in a lot of ways Well, now you can just skip right over it. Same for other long flashbacks like Elmyra's or Barret's.

EDIT:

Why is 20 GB free space recommended for FFIX PC?

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Nov 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well, you convinced me at cutscene skip. Onto NT I go.

Edit: What's the difference between Normal and Arrange Types? That isn't explained anywhere in the documents.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Nov 16, 2018