Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Monster damage getting buffed 1-40 and some DoT scaling looks like. Hooo boy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb
How are minstrels these days?

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

puberty worked me over posted:

Hit 20, summon bog guardian, annihilate everything, never look back.

Yeah I got to that last night. Pretty good, only complaints are sometimes it decides to stop attacking and just stare until I hit its attack hotkey again, and it kills stuff so fast it's tricky to get skill uses in to work on my deeds.

Nektu posted:

How are minstrels these days?

Minstrels are pretty rockin'. If you are heading to the legendary servers, they are a great choice as their burst damage shreds enemies for questing and deeding and healers are always in demand. If you are aiming for higher levels on the regular servers note their damage apparently falls behind heading into Mordor and beyond. Or so I've heard, I assume they are still wanted in fellowships for the best healing.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

bagrada posted:

Yeah I got to that last night. Pretty good, only complaints are sometimes it decides to stop attacking and just stare until I hit its attack hotkey again, and it kills stuff so fast it's tricky to get skill uses in to work on my deeds.

Are you rooting enemies with Cracked Earth? It'll stop attacking CCed enemies to not break the root.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Kaysette posted:

Are you rooting enemies with Cracked Earth? It'll stop attacking CCed enemies to not break the root.

Yeah that's probably it, I've been trying to weave that in since it would get me a trait point. I noticed pets stop attacking mezzed targets but didn't realize the root would stop them too. Nice.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb
´Looking for a guild invite for Humpty the Hobbit on Anor.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I got through lone lands on a fresh guardian so maybe I do care enough to make subbing for the legendary server worth it...

Of course the real test is getting through the misty mountains without dying of boredom.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

sassassin posted:

I got through lone lands on a fresh guardian so maybe I do care enough to make subbing for the legendary server worth it...

Of course the real test is getting through the misty mountains without dying of boredom.

I burned an XP pot on my char on Landroval to get past the low 40s - once you get to 42-43 there's stuff in High Pass/Goblin Town to get you to Forochel

Of course the XP debuff on the legendary servers will make that 40-50 stretch so much worse.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
I'm taking it super slow on my first dude making sure I grab deeds along the way. I don't know if I can stomach doing it when everything is grey.

I like that dungeons explode with loot tho. Love going through my bags to look at stuff.

Orty
May 14, 2007

Thinking of starting up on the Legendary servers and giving LOTRO more of a go than I usually give it. I usually play more DPS/Support type characters (Bard on EQ etc) so I am not sure what class would fit me the most. Kind of split between Minstrel, Burglar, Rune-keeper, and Lore-master. For some reason on the main servers it looks like I was leveling a Warden at one point but I can't remember why. Prefer not to heal, not sure how much healing everything that I mentioned except Burglar does. Any suggestions?

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Orty posted:

Thinking of starting up on the Legendary servers and giving LOTRO more of a go than I usually give it. I usually play more DPS/Support type characters (Bard on EQ etc) so I am not sure what class would fit me the most. Kind of split between Minstrel, Burglar, Rune-keeper, and Lore-master. For some reason on the main servers it looks like I was leveling a Warden at one point but I can't remember why. Prefer not to heal, not sure how much healing everything that I mentioned except Burglar does. Any suggestions?

Anything is fine if you are doing solo content.

When it comes to doing group content:

Minstrels are THE primary healing class for 6-man or larger group content. RK can also serve as a primary healer, but are comparatively better at DPS.

Lore-master and Burglars are primarily debuff/crowd control classes in group content. Lore-masters can be a halfway decent secondary healer and might be able to get by as a primary healer on 3-man group content.

If you want a class that can do very good DPS and quite a bit of crowd control (root/trap/fear) with no healing, Hunter would be a good choice.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Is the guardian quest in Trestlebridge bugged? Orcs appear from both sides at once it seems impossible to keep them all from getting to the bridge in the first 10-15 seconds.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008

Orty posted:

Of the classes you mentioned, Minstrel will give you the best solo when you want, group on demand class. Healing as has been said, is always in demand and they solo like bulldozers. I've lost so many tags on mobs while on my guardian to a minstrel that would run up and one shot poo poo that I body pulled.

Orty
May 14, 2007

Id like to do some group content and being decent at soloing would be great. Sounds like Hunter or maybe Burglar for me? Since I want to avoid healing.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Rune Keeper is the most miserable new player experience I have ever went through and I played launch EQ. Hitting mobs with my rocks does more damage than any of my spells.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
I disagree wholeheartedly. RK is like my favorite class in any mmo. Kinda lame too skills open up but it's not long before you get more options than you can handle. Only tricky part is their in-combat res is a pre-death buff.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Givin posted:

Rune Keeper is the most miserable new player experience I have ever went through and I played launch EQ. Hitting mobs with my rocks does more damage than any of my spells.

You might be doing something wrong then. Carefully consider your rotation and your gear. You need to make sure that you're not pulling too many mobs, and that you're eating Moral & Power regenerating food before fights. RK is a squishy class, but they put out a ton of damage.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Squishy classes are bad for soloing as you have to pay attention to things.

Rech
Dec 26, 2011

I started playing as a rune-keeper on the legendary server and it was pretty boring in the beginning. Went for the red/fire trait tree so I just spammed 2 DoTs over and over again to get enough attunement to melt enemies with smouldering wrath. Once I got some levels and more skills to play with I started to enjoy it more. Dealing with multiple mobs is sometimes a bit annoying since most of my skills have induction and dazes are a bit too short to keep enemies out of the fight.

Really sucks that quests dont give class items as rewards. Took 2 days of begging to get someone to craft me a drat chisel. :argh:

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
How is the launcher still so bad.

It's been going all night and I'm on file 4/12k of some set of new files after multiple sets of these downloads and relaunches. What the Christ.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

It really is ridiculously slow. There was one time I tried to reinstall it after not playing for like two years and it took so long I just gave up and forgot about it for another year or so. You'd think they would do something about that, but that's probably never going to happen.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

It really is ridiculously slow. There was one time I tried to reinstall it after not playing for like two years and it took so long I just gave up and forgot about it for another year or so. You'd think they would do something about that, but that's probably never going to happen.

It downloads a single file at a time and only starts the next one when the last one finishes. They have probably never changed it from the original setup.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

sassassin posted:

Squishy classes are bad for soloing as you have to pay attention to things.

I couldn't disagree more. Squishy classes can solo landscape content just fine. Paying attention to things is a core component of not sucking at video games.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Brave New World posted:

I couldn't disagree more. Squishy classes can solo landscape content just fine. Paying attention to things is a core component of not sucking at video games.

"Just fine" is damning with such faint praise. Savage stuff.

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Donut is for Homer as Asking yourself is to ...
Starting fresh again on Anor as Rapido. Looking for an invite to the kin.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Just curious what do you vets do with all the task items that fill up your bags, on the legendary server? I'm annoying myself by sitting on them all aside from turning in my 5 tasks a day, which means I get to juggle inventory way too much. Vendor, bank, auction house?

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

bagrada posted:

Just curious what do you vets do with all the task items that fill up your bags, on the legendary server? I'm annoying myself by sitting on them all aside from turning in my 5 tasks a day, which means I get to juggle inventory way too much. Vendor, bank, auction house?

I just vendor but I’m lazy.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Killing tomb robbers in Evendim still feels icky to me.

If you let your poo poo lie in ruin for a few hundred years I think people are entitled to come squat and/or grab what they can. It's not like they're doing it to sell relics to wealthy businessmen, people are just trying to survive in Middle Earth. Civilisation collapsed and literal wolves are at the place where the door would be if it hadn't long since rotted away.

No peace for goblins, though.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Also killing 6 deer.

I know they're pests but the noises they make while I beat them to death...

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
Now there's something we agree on! That bleating wail they emit when they die always males me feel so loving guilty. No other game I've ever played guilt trips you like that.

bagrada posted:

Most of those rep factions can be taken care of by basic deeds, so don't bother saving task items unless you're having trouble trying to close the gap with Kindred.

The Eglain are an early exception to this- do whatever you can to earn rep with them. They have a series of crafting dailies that require a number of things you make at Expert tier, so you can kill two birds with one stone there.

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Mike believed in the shooting star, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then,but that's no matter. Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and then one fine morning-
So we beat on, subs against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.
So is the server actually gonna be out in November?

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012

Verbose posted:

So is the server actually gonna be out in November?

The legendary server people have been playing on for over a week? Yeah, that might be out in November.

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Mike believed in the shooting star, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then,but that's no matter. Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and then one fine morning-
So we beat on, subs against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

bentacos posted:

The legendary server people have been playing on for over a week? Yeah, that might be out in November.

Well poo poo

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Brave New World posted:

Most of those rep factions can be taken care of by basic deeds, so don't bother saving task items unless you're having trouble trying to close the gap with Kindred.

The Eglain are an early exception to this- do whatever you can to earn rep with them. They have a series of crafting dailies that require a number of things you make at Expert tier, so you can kill two birds with one stone there.

Thanks, good to know, I'd just reached ost guruth this weekend and did one I found on the vendor so I'll check into that again tonight.

r0rb
Oct 14, 2012
This legendary server is fun and good. I had no work the first day so leveled my guard up fast, made some money, and bought big houses in the first shire instance and first premium instance. Feels good to have tons of people running content now that I am 50. I did some war quest (?) 6 man instances in angmar that I didn't even know existed!

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Saw a bunch of dudes standing around wearing some cool black armor and thought "Hmmm, I'll throw a fiver at the store and buy that it looks really good."

Moria fan bundle, $100.

Nope.

Game owns bones tho.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

might reinstall, legend servers sounds pretty sick. I never got all that far anyway, so it will be nice experiencing the game for the first time with an actual population

might roll a sword and board dude, how are they soloing? in most mmos soloing as "the tank class" is loving bunk

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Babe Magnet posted:

might reinstall, legend servers sounds pretty sick. I never got all that far anyway, so it will be nice experiencing the game for the first time with an actual population

might roll a sword and board dude, how are they soloing? in most mmos soloing as "the tank class" is loving bunk

Guardians and Wardens are both great for solo content as even if they fight individual dudes a bit slower they have a much easier time wandering into camps of enemies a few levels higher so you can spend much of your time completing higher level quests faster. I found hunter a frustrating/tedious stop-start experience in comparison to both.

When you start unlocking aoe light damage abilities things can get pretty silly.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Oh hell, I came into the game late and solo'd all the way to Rohan before just dying of boredom...

1 - Are Captains viable to solo on the legendary server?

2 - How far does the legendary story go, all the way to Chapter 14? And can you still solo certain chapters if you can't get a group?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

CobiWann posted:

Oh hell, I came into the game late and solo'd all the way to Rohan before just dying of boredom...

1 - Are Captains viable to solo on the legendary server?

2 - How far does the legendary story go, all the way to Chapter 14? And can you still solo certain chapters if you can't get a group?

everything's viable to solo with, captains aren't the fastest or most efficient though (that would probably be hunter or loremaster but opinions vary)

everything in the legendary story can be soloed. it extends well past the actual Lord of the Rings Story into the current release (it switches to "The Black Book Of Mordor" when Mordor begins), you will need to have purchased Helms Deep to finish past that point and the Mordor expansion when that part begins

https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Epic_Quests

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Nov 20, 2018