Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
drat I'm gonna have to listen to some Bruce tonight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

my god

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

yeah those robots are dumb as hell and stupid as gently caress look at them get stucked up in a giant loving hallway of pits

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

what the gently caress am I even looking at right here

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Moridin920 posted:

what the gently caress am I even looking at right here

"automation"

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I wonder what happens when an item falls off of the glorified Roomba

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

EugeneJ posted:

Matt Damon has to go and pick it up while the whole production line freezes, then he gets mega radiation poisoning and the company disposes of him.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

EugeneJ posted:

the person loading the roombas gets fired and replaced with a claw on a string

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

well it looks neat but what the gently caress does it do

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

That's the beauty of it! It doesn't do anything.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Strategically Placed Holes, by Amazon™

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Tetracube posted:

well it looks neat but what the gently caress does it do

Its allegedly Alibaba's new warehouse sorting system

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Away all Goats posted:

Its allegedly Alibaba's new warehouse sorting system

like 10 people could do that job easier than robots but then youd have to employ 10 people

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Siljmonster posted:

like 10 people could do that job easier than robots but then youd have to employ 10 people

Yes, that is how automation works

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I saw the yellow and black colors and immediately thought "Amazon", so that's kind of a mindfuck

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Imagine putting technology like this to work for the betterment of society instead of just using it to eliminate as much labor cost as possible for mega corps.

lol

ChipNDip
Sep 6, 2010

How many deaths are prevented by an executive order that prevents big box stores from selling seeds, furniture, and paint?

Mr. Lobe posted:

the precarity of the working class is to the tactical advantage of the ruling class. the more threatening our material conditions are, the more desperate we are, the easier they can squeeze what they want out of us.

this is also why the ruling class has no interest in full employment. the threat of unemployment is one of their most powerful bargaining tools. you will be a lot more willing to comply if there is a large number of people who could replace you. marx referred to this as the "reserve army of the unemployed".

This is also why the business class fiercely opposes single-payer healthcare, even though it would be a direct cost-savings for any business outside of insurance or healthcare.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QndP_PCRSw

the happy music playing while they record a miserable wage slave in what amounts to a metal cage is pretty capitalism.png itself

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Chomp8645 posted:

Imagine putting technology like this to work for the betterment of society instead of just using it to eliminate as much labor cost as possible for mega corps.

lol

it's hilarious to read letters from like a century ago marveling at how technology had already made their lives literally require so much less work than their grandparents, and daring to dream that their grandchildren might see a world where a person only needed to work two or three hours per day to subsist, if at all. lmao

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
https://twitter.com/RussiaUN/status/1063133548666871809

death to america

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

World War Mammories posted:

it's hilarious to read letters from like a century ago marveling at how technology had already made their lives literally require so much less work than their grandparents, and daring to dream that their grandchildren might see a world where a person only needed to work two or three hours per day to subsist, if at all. lmao

Yeah lol

:suicide:

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Tetracube posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QndP_PCRSw

the happy music playing while they record a miserable wage slave in what amounts to a metal cage is pretty capitalism.png itself

I wonder why the even need a person at all if the robots determine the package destination by barcode? It seems like they're just grabbing random stuff off the conveyor belt, maybe the operator is currently the best way to make sure the package is placed correctly on the center of the robot.

TheMostFrench has issued a correction as of 02:27 on Nov 16, 2018

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

World War Mammories posted:

1918: Although the Great War has shown us the danger of mankind's invention, so too has it shown us the promise. With our machines the new potential of industry and agriculture is near limitless. For now, we have suffered. But this war was born of our greed, as all wars. Greed for land, greed for resources, for markets, and for old hatreds. But we have upon us the power to transcend these things. When machines can produce more clothing than we could ever need, when farms can produce more food than we could ever eat, when we can build up to the sky upon our land instead of forever spreading, are not these things obsolete? What need will there be to fight for that which all men have in abundance? What man will covet his neighbor's property when both have material wealth beyond our dreams? This may not come to pass in the span of our lives. But perhaps, within as little as one hundred years, the advance of technology which has so recently wrought such suffering upon us, may instead be our salvation. Perhaps then, all humanity can put aside war and conflict, and live together in the harmony of abundance.

2018: Curing sick people is not a sustainable business model.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

wow, looks like most of the world isn't racist.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

qkkl posted:

wow, looks like most of the world isn't racist.

Yeah, Russia definitely isn't a fascist or insanely racist country. Because they said so to the UN

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
most of the countries that abstained are white people countries

white genocide when

necroid
May 14, 2009

is it really the first time you all see automated warehouses?

by the way those chinese roomba-like bots look like they're really inefficient compared to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DKrcpa8Z_E

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

TheMostFrench posted:

I wonder why the even need a person at all if the robots determine the package destination by barcode? It seems like they're just grabbing random stuff off the conveyor belt, maybe the operator is currently the best way to make sure the package is placed correctly on the center of the robot.

fine manipulators that can grasp a wide range of different objects are far more expensive than an employee

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Bushiz posted:

fine manipulators that can grasp a wide range of different objects are far more expensive than an employee

Looks like these guys did it anyway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFV8IkY52iY

necroid posted:

is it really the first time you all see automated warehouses?

I have truly never seen anything like this, I've heard about warehouse automation but had never actually seen it in action to this extent.

While watching some videos about automated warehouses I found this, which made me laugh because it feels quite factual and honest until just after halfway where it becomes a pseudo advertisement, then literally ends as one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyohSu-Ft_U

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

lmao even germany abstained?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

It's hypocritical as gently caress though, as per usual with Russia, because they're the ones promoting far-right extremism in Europe and the US to destabilize the west.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

spankmeister posted:

It's hypocritical as gently caress though, as per usual with Russia, because they're the ones promoting far-right extremism in Europe and the US to destabilize the west.

Of course, but this was a resolution that even Israel wouldn't vote with us on

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Mr. Lobe posted:

lmao even germany abstained?

It was a NATO abstention I believe.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Googling suggests this has happened repeatedly. The U.S. cannot abide restrictions on free speech! :911:

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

This is how all my Amazon deliveries look now. It isn't a box of coke or coke products either. The printing on the box means the local ward won't recycle it like the normal boxes.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

bike tory posted:

This is how all my Amazon deliveries look now. It isn't a box of coke or coke products either. The printing on the box means the local ward won't recycle it like the normal boxes.

Haven't seen that one in the facility, but we've got multiple loving variants of Grinch boxes and still have some Ninja Turtle boxes floating through too. The Jack Ryan boxes all stopped showing up though.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Don't worry, coke definitely paid for the recycling fee!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The Skeleton King posted:

I’m autistic so that helps me not be in the loop on most things. Is this one of those words that has no meanings?

Feel good that you haven't run across negging / pick up artist bullshit, friend :hfive:

It's gross and creepy and just kinda leaves you feeling all icky after reading about it.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Bushiz posted:

fine manipulators that can grasp a wide range of different objects are far more expensive than an employee your new job titles, please strap yourselves in to the robotic arms and grasp when you feel the gentle electric shock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Mr. Lobe posted:

yeah, it is one of the things I was also thinking about, I wonder what's stopping the police from just wiping out the favelas the way the US does the tent towns of its major cities. I imagine at least in part, it's because a lot of the manual labor sao paolo runs on probably comes from the favelas, so they have some bargaining power to at least maintain that tiny bit of stability and dignity that is their continued existence. because the homeless of the US generally are not part of the work-force, the ruling class considers them more disposable.

I imagine as the living standards of the working class in the US decrease, we are going to see that kind of intermingling of the working class and the lumpenproletariat that exists in brazil's favelas. that's probably when favela-like things are going to start becoming more permanent in the US.

During the depression, Hoovervilles existed as a kind of proto-favelas and remained until enough people managed to get employment again.

I assume the reason favelas continue to exist despite the police's ire is because there is a ton of firearms and pissed off poor people in those favelas that Brazil's police are kinda scared of. I would guess that once enough of the homeless and poor have guns and anger that Hoovervilles might make a comeback. Especially since the cost of housing and rent continue their uncontrolled rise and people eventually become displaced by climate problems like flooding in Florida and fires in California while insurance figures out how to not get them their homes back and they lose their jobs because they had the audacity to have needs.