Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

Those sets were like a decade apart, so I'm chuckling at imagining you mustering up the courage for 10 years and being like "Mom, I'm 24 now and I know what I want. I want the girl lego sets"

My grandma gave my sportsbro little brother that Paradiso set for Xmas, and he was like :wtf: ?! He gave it to me immediately. Still have the windows and minifigs. Wish I had the stair case.

Haha it isn't quite this sad, I promise. The Paradiso one was 1992 making me around 4 years old. The thing is, that I think Lego sets used to hang around for many more years than they do now. I got the Black Sea Barracuda for my 6th Birthday and that was originally released in 1989. I also had a few posters that came with old sets and I think the Paradiso sets were featured in one with a big diorama.

Diagon Alley shops in 2001 will have been at the cusp of childhood me growing out of Lego (before my adulthood rejoining of the hobby). When I retrieved all my Lego from my parents one of the last things I appeared to have built was the Fellowship from the Lord of the Rings, which I must have seen at the cinema in 2001. I wish I had taken a photo because 13 year old me did a pretty good job in the absence of actual Lord of the Rings sets.

Love in Paradiso sets that like 75% of the men have that 90's moustache head. Actually, I just love 1990's Lego.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Yesterday was my birthday and because I'm perpetually nine, my parents and I went to the local Lego store along with my kids.

N+1th Doctor went straight for the build a minifig stand, while N+2th Doctor ran all over the store picking sets off the shelf for herself.

They didn't end up having the Detective's Office in stock which surprised me, but we ordered from Amazon while still in there.

Then it was the trouble of getting N+2 to pick just one minifig out of the six she then built.

She didn't pick an accessory for it, so I scrounged up a single Starbucks cup accessory from the bin. Happy birthday to me.

But seriously: looking forward to putting together a cookie smuggling operation right under Ace Brickman's nose. Maybe afterward I'll have my act together enough to put together the Millennium Falcon finally.

And I'm happy with the coffee cup, gonna give it to that Target exclusive coffee stand's Hans Gruber minifig.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Nth Doctor posted:

Yesterday was my birthday and because I'm perpetually nine, my parents and I went to the local Lego store along with my kids.

N+1th Doctor went straight for the build a minifig stand, while N+2th Doctor ran all over the store picking sets off the shelf for herself.

They didn't end up having the Detective's Office in stock which surprised me, but we ordered from Amazon while still in there.

Then it was the trouble of getting N+2 to pick just one minifig out of the six she then built.

She didn't pick an accessory for it, so I scrounged up a single Starbucks cup accessory from the bin. Happy birthday to me.

But seriously: looking forward to putting together a cookie smuggling operation right under Ace Brickman's nose. Maybe afterward I'll have my act together enough to put together the Millennium Falcon finally.

And I'm happy with the coffee cup, gonna give it to that Target exclusive coffee stand's Hans Gruber minifig.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Ho Ho Ho
Now I Have A Caffeine Cup

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://globalnews.ca/news/4652218/lego-ttc-subway-train-kit-toronto

quote:

“It’s nothing like the trains we drive, and it didn’t have any details, so I decided to make my own,” Chapman told Global News.

“My co-workers where I work (at the Wilson subway yard) saw it, as they did the progression of me making it, and said: ‘I want one, I want one.'”
:canada:

And here on ideas: https://ideas.lego.com/projects/3836a22b-b316-4ee0-85b4-367376887164

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That is a really cool build but goddamn, 3000 pieces? That ain't happening.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

But trains!

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

They could release a 1000 piece single cab with instructions for the rest to encourage purchasing multiple sets.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
When are they going to announce a new modular, didn't the diner go on sale January 1 and was in a holiday catalog?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Diner was officially announced November 29 last year.

Assembly Square was in mid October. So was Brick Bank.

smackfu fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Nov 14, 2018

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/CNYcentral/status/1062510424355168256

this is the worst loving st

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
gently caress Trump.
gently caress his fascism.
gently caress people who think making a toy out of it is fun or cute.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
Even Reddit Lego agreed they need to get sued.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Scipiotik posted:

Even though there seems to be a ton of copyright gray area surrounding building block toys, they directly stole imagery of the maracas guy CMF and pretty much copied Lego's box format so here's to hoping.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Scipiotik posted:

Somehow I'm not surprised that there's a Lego Reddit.

How awful is it, and what brand of awful?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Attestant posted:

I only browse it occasionally, but it seems fine. Lots of MOCs of various quality and lots of pictures of dusty, unorganized collections. Most of the collector subreddits are pretty benign and boring.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Attestant posted:

It is OK, lots of good moc's being posted, but tempered by a huge amount of "Look at this box of something I just bought" garbage. Expect the meme-du-jour to be recreated in Lego and posted ad nauseum. If you browse this week are are about 4 billion hastily made Stan Lee "tributes" lazily uploaded.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

God drat. gently caress my country, we're now the baddies.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Attestant posted:

It's like 90% bragging about a set someone just bought. The remaining 10% is kinda cool though.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
:siren: VIP Double Points this weekend 17th-18th!

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

It's good for mocs and news. But lots of chaff to filter out.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Attestant posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/lego/

It's worth checking out from time to time.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

I mentioned yesterday how I'm playing modular catch up and the holiday catalog came in the mail as well. I currently have Palace Cinema, Parisian Restaurant, and (as of this evening) the Detective's Office. The only modulars advertised specifically in the catalog are Parisian Restaurant, Assembly Square, and the Diner. Are they pulling both the Detective's Office and Brick Bank out of order for some reason? :ohdearsass:

With some saving I should be able to score the Bank but it seems weird to not see it in the catalog aside from a tiny shot demonstrating how modulars are linked together.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

Hasn't been announced yet, but at least one of those two is going away. Rumors suggest both. Good chance if they go on sale Black Friday that'll be it.

Bb is backordered on Lego shop. Do is out of stock. Strong sign they are going.

Scipiotik fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Nov 14, 2018

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Why is there both a holiday and a Christmas catalog? Christmas is twice as long, but do some people not get both?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just got a Late Holiday catalog, too.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Attestant posted:

Bruh think of three different words. Put them together. There’s a reddit for that.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Scipiotik posted:

Hasn't been announced yet, but at least one of those two is going away. Rumors suggest both. Good chance if they go on sale Black Friday that'll be it.

Bb is backordered on Lego shop. Do is out of stock. Strong sign they are going.

:(
gently caress. BB was in stock at my local store, though. Maybe I'll be lucky.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Waltzing Along posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/lego/

It's worth checking out from time to time.

Last I looked it was at least 80% pictures of boxes with a title like "Just bought this can't wait to build it!" and a billion upvotes and posts with cool MOCs or questions not even getting a single reply.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

EvilJoven posted:

Last I looked it was at least 80% pictures of boxes with a title like "Just bought this can't wait to build it!" and a billion upvotes and posts with cool MOCs or questions not even getting a single reply.

I posted a MOC there and no one cared. Then I posted a build I bought the design for off whatever website, the Iron Giant, and somehow someone else had also made one and posted the same day. It's not like it was a new design, I had been waiting a while to get all the pieces for it.

Luchacabra
Jun 12, 2015

How quick is the Lego online shop at processing and shipping orders?

There is a Christmas Gift Box set that is a Black Friday giveaway with a $99 purchase, that is available early to VIP members this weekend. One of the items I was going to use to reach the minimum is the Advent calendar, but obviously that hinges on getting my shipment by the 1st of December. I live in the Seattle area if that makes a difference.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I've skipped the past 150 pages to avoid buying sets I don't need, but I was paging through the catalog and what's the 1x1 brick outline that's next to everything for?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Beachcomber posted:

I've skipped the past 150 pages to avoid buying sets I don't need, but I was paging through the catalog and what's the 1x1 brick outline that's next to everything for?

It's so kids can check the sets they want then hand the catalog to their parents, I think.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Waltzing Along posted:

It's so kids can check the sets they want then hand the catalog to their parents, I think.

Kids, goons, you know whoever

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I still think this thread needs a title change to something similar to the transformers thread, cuusou hasn't even been that for years now

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3555714&pagenumber=1455&perpage=40

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Lego Thread: Jorts not included

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Jorts minifigure one per box

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Lego Modular Megathread: MOC my creations

But then again this thread is cool and supportive abouts MOCs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Awful AFOLs