Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

McTinkerson posted:

I'm about couple months away from pulling the trigger on a Durametric. It seems to be the best in regards to cost/capabilities.

I have an Enthusiast Durametric that's been sitting in my garage unused. I'll sell it to you for $150 shipped. PM me if interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

wallaka posted:

I have an Enthusiast Durametric that's been sitting in my garage unused. I'll sell it to you for $150 shipped. PM me if interested.

PM sent!

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Cayman is with its new owner.

Browsing PCA classifieds for 80s 911s

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Residency Evil posted:

Cayman is with its new owner.

Browsing PCA classifieds for 80s 911s

You might want 85 and up to avoid the rust behind the headlamp issue, if you're gonna be driving it in rust-accelerating conditions ever.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

kimbo305 posted:

You might want 85 and up to avoid the rust behind the headlamp issue, if you're gonna be driving it in rust-accelerating conditions ever.

Is there a guide to these older air cooled cars somewhere that has these common pitfalls? Anything beyond just reading rennlist?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

Is there a guide to these older air cooled cars somewhere that has these common pitfalls? Anything beyond just reading rennlist?

I bought the 911 buyer's guide a while back:
https://www.amazon.com/Porsche-Buyers-Guide-Randy-Leffingwell/dp/B005IUYFI0
The criticism that it's repetitive are semi legit -- if the model didn't change from year to year, it'll repeat all the info for both years. Which could be forgiven if the book went into endless detail. But you will more info online about particular desirable trims. We're talking a few pages per year, with that repeat info. I plan on keeping mine just so I can cross reference. There's solid info for 70s models that I'm never going to shop.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I'm going to be the only one with a high mileage 996TT in two decades and they'll mostly be my own miles :smug:

Not driving those cars is a sin.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

kimbo305 posted:

I bought the 911 buyer's guide a while back:
https://www.amazon.com/Porsche-Buyers-Guide-Randy-Leffingwell/dp/B005IUYFI0
The criticism that it's repetitive are semi legit -- if the model didn't change from year to year, it'll repeat all the info for both years. Which could be forgiven if the book went into endless detail. But you will more info online about particular desirable trims. We're talking a few pages per year, with that repeat info. I plan on keeping mine just so I can cross reference. There's solid info for 70s models that I'm never going to shop.

Thanks man, bought this.

FWIW, I'm not buying yet/in no rush, but something like this: https://www.pca.org/classified-ad/331538 seems along the lines of what I'd be looking for. No idea if that's a decent/reasonable price.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Well a low grumble turned out to be the water pump About to fail.

And to add insult to injury he tells me I am one good stop away from my brake lights coming on.

So ...

Water pump replacement and associated kit
Drive belt (over 10 years so it needs to be replaced when they take it off!)
Rear brakes
Oil service

Over 2k spent today 🥳

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
May 718 is going to be parked in an unheated garage for the winter. It’ll probably be in the 20s F or colder for extended periods of time. Anything I should do other than a battery tender? Will the tires be on left mounted at pressure at those temps?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Jealous Cow posted:

May 718 is going to be parked in an unheated garage for the winter. It’ll probably be in the 20s F or colder for extended periods of time. Anything I should do other than a battery tender? Will the tires be on left mounted at pressure at those temps?

Phone posting, lol.

Battery tender and you'll be fine. Tires will be fine, but good chance of flat spots for the first dozen miles when you take it back out. Over-inflate the tires to minimize that (go max pressure on sidewall +10-15psi), just remember to bring them back down before you drive it again.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I get noticeable flat spots on my RE71r potenzas if I park it longer than 3-4 days. I just drive it and don't worry about it. By the time the cars properly warmed up the tires are fine. Speaking of, took it out last night for the first time since mid Oct and it was great, but think I'll put it on the quickjack until spring now.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
tbf a re71r is basically an rcomp in everything but the treadwear number printed on it

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Residency Evil posted:

Thanks man, bought this.

FWIW, I'm not buying yet/in no rush, but something like this: https://www.pca.org/classified-ad/331538 seems along the lines of what I'd be looking for. No idea if that's a decent/reasonable price.

It's reasonable now but six years ago that would have been high 20s. For a fun weekend car you'll end up spending a lot on it, trust me. I've put 15000 miles on my '82 in five and a half years, and over $25k in maintenance and modifications.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Dave Inc. posted:

It's reasonable now but six years ago that would have been high 20s. For a fun weekend car you'll end up spending a lot on it, trust me. I've put 15000 miles on my '82 in five and a half years, and over $25k in maintenance and modifications.

Fair enough. I'm still undecided between an aircooled car and finding my ideal Boxster Spyder. Maybe there'll be a financial meltdown in a year or two and aircooled prices will drop again.

It's been two weeks and I already miss my Cayman.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

Residency Evil posted:

gently caress man, that sounds awful. I made a similar trip on 80 when I bought my 981 a few years back and was stressed out the entire way. Fwiw, our PA roads seem even shittier than normal this year.

There's a part of me still thinking about selling my 981 CS and getting a 987 Spyder. I can't get that car out of my mind. Someone tell me going 981-987 is a mistake.

I’m a little late to this but I would highly recommend the switch. The 987 Spyder was an incredibly special car. I had one for two years as my daily in Phoenix, I loved it. My other car at the time was an Elise so the Spyder felt very practical. I was at the Stuttgart factory in 2012 when it was still new. They had one in the museum and in the dealership right next to a 997.2 GT3 RS 4.0. It was such an incredible experience to see my car there at the main factory next to the 4.0.

I had it on the track once and it was sublime. Ended every session with a big smile. For comparison, the track-prepped Elise felt like I had been wrestling a bear for 20 minutes so the Spyder was an epiphany. Wonderful handling and great communication at the limit. If you get a manual, which you should, add the third radiator that came with PDK models.

2850lbs (everyone gets A/C) and 320hp, this car could scoot. Hydraulic steering would be a definite upgrade over Porsche’s gen 1 electric racks. And the top actually has two pieces, one smaller piece that actually seals the cabin a bit. I only used it on road trips and ran without most of the time. There was a decent gap between the top and window but it really wasn’t that bad. I could get the main top on and off within a minute or so.

Just make sure to get the buckets.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

I’m a little late to this but I would highly recommend the switch. The 987 Spyder was an incredibly special car. I had one for two years as my daily in Phoenix, I loved it. My other car at the time was an Elise so the Spyder felt very practical. I was at the Stuttgart factory in 2012 when it was still new. They had one in the museum and in the dealership right next to a 997.2 GT3 RS 4.0. It was such an incredible experience to see my car there at the main factory next to the 4.0.

I had it on the track once and it was sublime. Ended every session with a big smile. For comparison, the track-prepped Elise felt like I had been wrestling a bear for 20 minutes so the Spyder was an epiphany. Wonderful handling and great communication at the limit. If you get a manual, which you should, add the third radiator that came with PDK models.

2850lbs (everyone gets A/C) and 320hp, this car could scoot. Hydraulic steering would be a definite upgrade over Porsche’s gen 1 electric racks. And the top actually has two pieces, one smaller piece that actually seals the cabin a bit. I only used it on road trips and ran without most of the time. There was a decent gap between the top and window but it really wasn’t that bad. I could get the main top on and off within a minute or so.

Just make sure to get the buckets.

No worries man. As it turns out, I made a mistake. I sold my 981 CS because I was hardly using it. We lived in the city, I walked to work, and my wife has a Macan for commuting. Not two weeks later we went to an open house on a whim and it turns out I'm going to need a car. :suicide:

Now I'm not sure whether to:
1. Get another 981 (or maybe a 911?) as a DD.
2. Get a Golf for DD duties and something like a 987 Spyder for the weekend.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Dec 4, 2018

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
And I just found a lovely silver 2015 Cayman GTS. Someone tell me I'd be dumb to buy essentially the car I just sold.

:suicide:

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Dec 18, 2018

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

And I just found a lovely silver 2015 Cayman GTS. Someone tell me I'd be dumb to buy essentially the car I just sold.

All depends on the price.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

kimbo305 posted:

All depends on the price.

https://www.porscheatlantaperimeter.com/inventory/certified-used-2015-porsche-cayman-gts-rwd-2d-coupe-wp0ab2a8xfk184519

It's this one here. Essentially the same as my previous car (white CS with PASM/PSE/SC) except it's a GTS, Silver, and has X73 instead of PASM. It's CPO, so has a warranty until 2021.

The rub is that the carfax shows it's been in a "minor" accident, which the dealer apparently has no idea about repairs, even though it appears all service was done there. :hrm:

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Residency Evil posted:

https://www.porscheatlantaperimeter.com/inventory/certified-used-2015-porsche-cayman-gts-rwd-2d-coupe-wp0ab2a8xfk184519

It's this one here. Essentially the same as my previous car (white CS with PASM/PSE/SC) except it's a GTS, Silver, and has X73 instead of PASM. It's CPO, so has a warranty until 2021.

The rub is that the carfax shows it's been in a "minor" accident, which the dealer apparently has no idea about repairs, even though it appears all service was done there. :hrm:

Most dealers don't do their own body work, so if it needed a panel painted, it wouldn't be at the dealership, it'd be at a (hopefully high end) bodyshop. When I moved and needed something, I just called the BMW dealer where I had my car serviced and asked where they sent cars, they gave me two local places.

As far as minor goes, my last trip to that bodyshop was to have the bumper repainted because an old guy took his foot off the brake and rolled his 1983 Broughammer conversion camper van into the back of my car and scratched it, a week after I bought it. "I don't know what happened, it just went forward!" :cripes:

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

I traded in my black 2006 black boxster (107k miles) for a 2008 black boxster (19k miles).

I actually bought the same car and don’t regret it.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Response I got from the dealer is:

quote:

During that time I checked the car with a paint meter and the only area measurable (can't measure non ferrous panels like bumper covers) that's had any paint is the right quarter panel. Upon inspection without the paint meter it'd be undetectable. I hope that bit of information is helpful.

I need to keep on remembering that what I really want is a DD and a Spyder for the weekend.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I love seeing things like this

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

MomJeans420 posted:

I love seeing things like this

They sell racks for those too, photos so high res these days I can even make out the tabs

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Reminds me of this wrap I saw earlier in the year:

(My Honda next to it.)

These are from today:

Center console delete and a dirty drive in the mountains.

I'll be replacing the shifter with a black GT one. Then at some point, a black three spoke wheel.

This is what things looked like when I bought it:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I'm debating that center console delete myself. Is that a continental head unit you put in there?

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Yes. Contie head unite. I love it.

I’m not an audiophile but it works with my iPhone, sounds great to me and isn’t offensive looking.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

dema posted:

I'll be replacing the shifter with a black GT one.

which model is that? Need to keep in mind if I ever get back into a 996.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Is this amount of condensation inside the headlights normal? 2018 Cayman, 1200 miles. Garaged.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Jealous Cow posted:

Is this amount of condensation inside the headlights normal? 2018 Cayman, 1200 miles. Garaged.

I'm not a porsche expert , but any level of condensation in a brand new car headlight should be grounds for replacement of the entire lamp

They're supposed to be sealed units , If you're getting moisture inside it means the seal is poo poo and will lead to problems down the road

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

If it doesn't clear within 24 hours, then it isn't normal.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

No it is not.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
Hi Porsche nerds. I have recently become aware and fell in love with the new 911 Targas.

Specifically these style cars:

I'm having trouble searching for used examples of these as I'm seeing a lot of these Targas:

Which I'm not a fan.

Does anyone know what years I should be searching/model terms I should be using to better find the style I'm looking for?
Thanks all! I look forward to my impending Volkswagen purchase.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Blue On Blue posted:

They're supposed to be sealed units

No they aren't.

This may be a bullshit Porsche excuse, but most of their light assemblies are vented and if you run the lights it will drive off the moisture. That's their line.

Whether you believe it or not is up to you. But that's the design as I understand it.

brae
Feb 2, 2006

TheFonz posted:

Does anyone know what years I should be searching/model terms I should be using to better find the style I'm looking for?
Thanks all! I look forward to my impending Volkswagen purchase.

You'd be looking for the 991 generation of 911 targa. It got a refresh in 2016, where most 911 models (everything but the GT3 I think?) got a new, turbocharged 3L engine. People sometimes refer to cars before/after the refresh as 991.1 and 991.2, respectively. So if you search something like "991.2 911 targa 4s" you might have some better luck.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

That pic is a 991.1 (that the hood slats are horizontal, where 991.2s are vertical is the easiest tell). All 991's will basically look like that. The 2nd pic is a 997. 991s started in the later months of 2012. Targas might be later but 2013+ should filter out the 997s. You can nerd out on all this on the "991 911" wiki page.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
That is super helpful! I’ll check out the wiki and do some more generic term searches like above. Does anyone here own a newer Targa or is it a strange look to like compared to the coupes?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

TheFonz posted:

That is super helpful! I’ll check out the wiki and do some more generic term searches like above. Does anyone here own a newer Targa or is it a strange look to like compared to the coupes?

I think the new targa looks great. Obviously harkens back to the original targa of the early '70s (I passed on one for $3500 at auction decades ago... still regret it).

The previous generation of targa wasn't one really... it was just a big sunroof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

TheFonz posted:

There are a lot out there, it’s one of those things where it was expensive and exclusive when it came out so not a lot where leased so that’s why they are a bit harder to come by in the used market right now.