Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Yuns posted:

In contrast, we have a great kids program. My friend and gi instructor Zed one of the kids instructors (the other is Harley Flanagan formerly of the Cro Mags). Zed works on positional stuff and movement with the kids and makes things into fun games. It's about learning to move and control your own body and someone else's too. It's not a Darwinian contest between kids.

Exactly. I teach kids twice a week. Today I'm going to show them a basic torreando pass and we'll play some games that get them wriggling around on the mat. We'll spend 20 minutes warming up and doing breakfalls, 20 minutes doing techniques, and 20 minutes playing games and light randori. Some of them - especially the ones under 8 - won't have a goddamn clue how to make that work in the slightest, but they'll run around each other in circles and have a fun time doing it. They'll get into randori and just keep rolling over each other and giggling. They're kids.

Motor development is complicated (and fascinating). Children are able to learn different things at different ages. When they're under 8, really you just need to be working on attention span, balance, coordination, flexibility, and speed. Anything else at that point is a poor use of time and won't stick. Very few kids at that age can pick up anything but the simplest technical stuff in a meaningful way (it's possible, but it requires way more work and has relatively little longer-term payoff).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

I had an incident the other day where a 4 year old that competes decides to take my daughters (shes 6 but still relatively new) back after a failed ippon seoi nage and then wouldn't let go when my daughter tapped from a RNC. My other daughter sees what happens and goes to run over and help her sister. I am now in the precarious position of trying to convince my youngest one, and my oldest to a lesser extent, thats shes safe in there and that type of poo poo won't happen again. I don't blame the coaches, I dont because you cannot see everything that is happening with every kid at all times. That's not realistic.

This is insane. Without hyperbole, I honestly think she's right and it isn't safe to train wherever it is your going where this can happen.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Yuns posted:

gently caress that school.

We have some really good instructors, even for the kids, so yeah not going to go there. The problem is one little rear end in a top hat with a dick parent that wants to vicariously compete through their child. Its clear that my instructor knows he is a problem that is going to be addressed, no matter how much that parent wants to have his kid compete. It is being addressed.

quote:

No loving way a 4 year old should be training/doing subs especially chokes. I train with a bunch of loving animals and we still wouldn't be cool with that.

Also let me state that competition is loving worthless for 4 year olds. That's some poo poo to make parents live out their athletic dreams through their kids.

I agree. It is worthless.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Sorry to insult your school Tacos! I take that back. I was just heated after hearing about what happened to your daughter. Glad to hear that the instructor is dealing with it. Imagine that kid locking on an RNC on the playground with no one around to stop him.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
Did the parents teach that kid to choke?

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

When parents dont roll they have a different attitude toward what they expect out of their kids. Its every single parent I talk to too. The ones that dont are just annoying as gently caress and drop gobs of money to make sure their kid is #1 and for what really? The others who do just want their kids to have fun.

Yuns posted:

Sorry to insult your school Tacos! I take that back. I was just heated after hearing about what happened to your daughter. Glad to hear that the instructor is dealing with it. Imagine that kid locking on an RNC on the playground with no one around to stop him.

Naws its cool. My instructor was outraged. I know what its like to watch a bunch of kids and not catch anything but I think they key is to isolate problems and this is what I told the head instructor and he agrees. But this goes without saying for any kid thats a problem child, could be soccer, karate, whatever, its just in what we do the consequences are pretty high. And he understood that.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Choke the dad OP

It is the way of bushido

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Choke the dad OP

This but unironically. If the guy doesn't roll himself he probably needs to be introduced to the concept of a tap and why its important.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Yeah the pulling dynamic of kimura is key

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Did back to back classes again and luckily this time the 2nd class warmups were pretty short.

Bad news is half way into the 2nd class my foot slipped between mats and as I push off I caught my toenail and almost ripped it completely off (it is barely attached). That's a new injury for me

Edit: after getting home and looking at it more it seems to be attached a good amount still. I think I'll just put some ointment on it, tape it up and hope it doesn't get infected.

Or should I rip it completely off? Is that smart to do?

Digital Jedi fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Nov 15, 2018

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

I know that at my gym, we recently had a "parents train with their kids" day, and I'm sure it was to instill into the parents how not to be hockey parents (or football parents, I think is the American equivalent).

Dear Lord, let me not become a hockey dad.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Digital Jedi posted:

Did back to back classes again and luckily this time the 2nd class warmups were pretty short.

Bad news is half way into the 2nd class my foot slipped between mats and as I push off I caught my toenail and almost ripped it completely off (it is barely attached). That's a new injury for me

Edit: after getting home and looking at it more it seems to be attached a good amount still. I think I'll just put some ointment on it, tape it up and hope it doesn't get infected.

Or should I rip it completely off? Is that smart to do?

I would clip off the part that is unattached and put a bandaid over it. The unattached part isn't going to reattached so it's just useless nail that will have to get cut eventually as new nail gets grown

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

spb posted:

I would clip off the part that is unattached and put a bandaid over it. The unattached part isn't going to reattached so it's just useless nail that will have to get cut eventually as new nail gets grown

Duct tape*

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
The more I think about that out of control 4 year old, the angrier I get. Many of you may not appreciate it, but it was extremely hard in the early days to convince insurers to cover BJJ/MMA places. It isn't until relatively recently that they started treating it like other martial arts schools. If a child kills or seriously injures another child in some incident at a BJJ school because the instructor irresponsibly taught and supervised the child, not only will he lose his insurance after the claim is paid and therefore rightfully lose his school on top of the tragedy of having a kid hurt, but that insurer will either raise the rates for all other BJJ schools or start canceling policies for other schools.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

you know that bit in american beauty where he's crying at the video of the plastic bag?

that, except it's me watching danaher get from a kimura to a heelhook

sometimes there's so much beauty in the world, I feel like I can't take it

02-6611-0142-1 fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Nov 15, 2018

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
John must have got some real nutcases come in to the gym now that he's "famous-ish" in bjj.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Drewjitsu posted:

Explain. That sounds cool.

You take a half guard with your legs closed pretty much as normal. You angle your body such that the bottom shoulder is against the mat and away from your opponent. Like a lot, almost as if you're giving the back. You keep that far shoulder back and away, laying on the bottom arm while using your top arm and the motion of your legs and hip to find an under hook which allows you to progress if they do nothing.

If you're doing it lietes style you also feed their foot over to your outside leg and then lever their foot away pressuring the knee to control them. With that, you can actually release or lose your inside hook and get up to an over hook dog fight position or do other cool stuff.

You can also spin under to deep half or back out into a butterfly with the grapevine control, which is cool. Sometimes xguards and single leg X happens too.

The key is that you're unsmashable and using very little energy in a position that seems very nonthreatening but is actually quite strong. That's why I call it dead possum.

I'm sure there are some good resources of top guys doing this, its not crazy innovative. I like it because as I get older I'm trying to build a slower game that drags faster stronger people into deep water.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Xguard86 posted:

That's why I call it dead possum.
Downward dogfight

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Yuns posted:

The more I think about that out of control 4 year old, the angrier I get. Many of you may not appreciate it, but it was extremely hard in the early days to convince insurers to cover BJJ/MMA places. It isn't until relatively recently that they started treating it like other martial arts schools. If a child kills or seriously injures another child in some incident at a BJJ school because the instructor irresponsibly taught and supervised the child, not only will he lose his insurance after the claim is paid and therefore rightfully lose his school on top of the tragedy of having a kid hurt, but that insurer will either raise the rates for all other BJJ schools or start canceling policies for other schools.

I swear that kid is very very very close to just being kicked out, who really hasnt been practicing there that long. I sent a note out to a friend of mine that owns a gym in Vegas and he says he wont even take kids under the age of 5 and really doesnt like taking the ones under 8 and now I get why. To much liability with some of them.

But what really angers me are the parents (and this can be any sport) that sideline coach without understanding or even attempting the sport to begin with. Too often the kid is listening to the parent instead of the coach and thats where a disconnection can occur and problems arise.

My daughters did go back into class last night. They love practicing takedowns and playing all the games that they have setup for them. Its been great for their esteem building and making new friends.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

I swear that kid is very very very close to just being kicked out, who really hasnt been practicing there that long. I sent a note out to a friend of mine that owns a gym in Vegas and he says he wont even take kids under the age of 5 and really doesnt like taking the ones under 8 and now I get why. To much liability with some of them.

But what really angers me are the parents (and this can be any sport) that sideline coach without understanding or even attempting the sport to begin with. Too often the kid is listening to the parent instead of the coach and thats where a disconnection can occur and problems arise.

What gym in Vegas? We have separate kids classes for kids based on age. The younger ones definitely do not get to do submissions. I think we don't take kids under 6. There's also a sign posted in the gym that says "Parents, please no coaching" and I know for a fact some parents have been asked to leave.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
fight *clap* that *clap* dad

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

JaySB posted:

What gym in Vegas? We have separate kids classes for kids based on age. The younger ones definitely do not get to do submissions. I think we don't take kids under 6. There's also a sign posted in the gym that says "Parents, please no coaching" and I know for a fact some parents have been asked to leave.

Battleborn Jiu Jitsu.

Yeah same there but I dont think he (Justin) has kids under the age of 6 from what Ive seen.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

fight *clap* that *clap* dad

Yeah he doesnt roll....but he sure likes to sideline coach :ughh:

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Battleborn Jiu Jitsu.

Yeah same there but I dont think he (Justin) has kids under the age of 6 from what Ive seen.

His website could use some work, just an fyi.

Under 6 is a weird age because kids attention span is basically non existent and they're hard pressed to grasp any actual technique. I can see why a lot of gym wouldn't want to have kids that age.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Yeah he doesnt roll....but he sure likes to sideline coach :ughh:

Show of hands, who here would have a problem with kicking the rear end of a dude training his four-year-old daughter to choke out other children

most of the dudes at your gym would probably help

EDIT: I mean yeah liability and don't be violent and we aren't thugs etc. etc. I am mostly joking.

But seriously that dude has to be pushing the line of the point in which you could actually justify an rear end kicking

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Nov 15, 2018

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

JaySB posted:

His website could use some work, just an fyi.

agreed.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Show of hands, who here would have a problem with kicking the rear end of a dude training his four-year-old daughter to choke out other children

most of the dudes at your gym would probably help

gently caress I would do it myself, but I literally dont think that would help and might even present more problems.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Battleborn Jiu Jitsu.

Was that named after the game?

Cyber Sandwich
Nov 16, 2011

Now, Digital!

CommonShore posted:

They'll get into randori and just keep rolling over each other and giggling. They're kids...
...When they're under 8, really you just need to be working on attention span, balance, coordination, flexibility, and speed.

I agree with this notion. Giving anything too complex for students who don't have a good body foundation is the fastest route to injury.
Teaching mobility and range of motion maintenance in an intuitive manner is a great approach towards developing those skills.

I wish children observed the adult classes more, though. Watching someone else perform techniques and mistakes is a great way to learn as well.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

agreed.

gently caress I would do it myself, but I literally dont think that would help and might even present more problems.

Just offer him out on the mats, if he declines tell him to stfu because hes clearly too much of a pussy to roll and is talking out of his rear end so shouldn't be telling others who actually roll what to do.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
my professor just shuts disallows coaching from the side of the mat full stop, anyone who does it gets politely spoken to

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I am trying to imagine the kind of person who projects their own insecurities about fighting and competing onto a 4 year old girl

Like, I don't even want the girl to be kicked out because she's a loving four year old. I would hate for a child to basically lose a chance to do something they may love because their parent is a dick.

At the same time though, how can you even tell if a 4 year old likes something? They are loving four. Like I can remember playing Soccer when I was six and I don't think the question of whether I liked it or not ever occurred to me. I just did it because someone put me in a field and gave me a ball.

Like I am just overwhelmed

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Nov 15, 2018

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

I predict that parent will have his kid out in the next few months if my instructor doesnt kick him out first. These people are usually never satisfied with the level of instruction they are getting anyway. Internal projection and all that...

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I am trying to imagine the kind of person who projects their own insecurities about fighting and competing onto a 4 year old girl

Like, I don't even want the girl to be kicked out because she's a loving four year old. I would hate for a child to basically lose a chance to do something they may love because their parent is a dick.

At the same time though, how can you even tell if a 4 year old likes something? They are loving four. Like I can remember playing Soccer when I was six and I don't think the question of whether I liked it or not ever occurred to me. I just did it because someone put me in a field and gave me a ball.

Like I am just overwhelmed

Its a little boy but that really doesnt matter. As often is the problem with the kids, the real problem is usually with the adults.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Cyber Sandwich posted:

I agree with this notion. Giving anything too complex for students who don't have a good body foundation is the fastest route to injury.
Teaching mobility and range of motion maintenance in an intuitive manner is a great approach towards developing those skills.

I wish children observed the adult classes more, though. Watching someone else perform techniques and mistakes is a great way to learn as well.

Oh totally. I try to do big demos now and again for the kids' sake.

In fact, one of my training partners / co-coaches and I are getting ready for our shodan tests in Judo - maybe as early as December. We tend to take 10-15 minutes before the kids class starts to just work on stuff specific to our needs. Lately is has been full-execution workups of nage-no-kata, the core throwing demo, which is the main part of the test. If you're not familiar with judo kata, it's a full-contact demonstration with a partner, and you work together to show all of the key parts of the techniques. Both the thrower and thrown have active roles. This means that lots of the throws are theatrical and pretty high-amplitude for affect.

Anyway some of the kids who arrive early are just loving it. On Wednesday one of them, a boy probably about 9, was just going WOAH! WOW! After every throw. They're getting a sense of how the little techniques we do with them scale up into big explosive things that grown-ups do, and I've noticed that connection will make them more engaged in class.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Battleborn Jiu Jitsu.

Man Gearbox are really trying everything to get Battleborn to be a recognizable brand name after the game flopped.

I teach 3 to 6 year olds for English and I can't imagine the value in teaching them jiu jitsu at such a young age. Tae Kwon Do is what I did around that same age but even then it was, from my dodgy memory, mostly just running around or doing the positions and have zero contact. Seems really sketchy for a parent (or a coach) to teach a kid a submission that is capable of killing/doing serious harm. Mainly because the 4 year old won't know that it can do that, nor have any concept about letting go.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Nov 15, 2018

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
How do you even coach your child in grappling if you have no experience?

In my head it sounds like that "just bleed" .gif but with a sweater and ultra venti latte.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Xguard86 posted:

How do you even coach your child in grappling if you have no experience?

In my head it sounds like that "just bleed" .gif but with a sweater and ultra venti latte.

How do you coach kids in literally anything with no experience?

You fake it til you make it.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I’m gonna play games with my kid that are secretly drills but not let her train until she’s like ten, assuming she even wants to. I’m not gonna push it at all. That way she gets a little boost if she develops an intetest

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

I’m so bad at open guard

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

spb posted:

I’m so bad at open guard insert technique here

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Battle Born is in reference to Nevada becoming a state during the Civil War.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

JaySB posted:

Battle Born is in reference to Nevada becoming a state during the Civil War.

Oh I thought they were huge into the Killers