Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug
That's nuts! Thanks for the link!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

luxury handset posted:

https://taskandpurpose.com/152-years-later-va-still-paying-pension-civil-war/

it was common for super old veterans to marry young women so they could get their pensions, which could be inherited by children

this only applies to union aka federal soldiers. confederate soldiers received pensions from the states as they were locked out of federal government benefits for obvious reasons

The proper response to all these edge cases is to just have some "office of weird poo poo" in the countryside where GS-5s with paper records and calculators every month adjust the inherited civil war pension for inflation, look up the price of three cows in current USD for the Filipino beneficiaries, and fire off checks to the appropriate parties. Instead it gets tacked into the requirements for the software solution and adds several million dollars per edge case.

Of course the problem with such an office is that within twenty seconds of it opening you'd have some GOP rear end in a top hat standing on a soapbox out front screaming at Fox News cameras about government waste.

Edit: Of note that we aren't the only country will crazy old benefits we have to manage. England is still paying out an inheritable pension granted in the 1600s and I want to say France has a similar situation.

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Nov 15, 2018

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1063192430302904320

Also, galaxy brain Rudy is back

https://twitter.com/jdawsey1/status/1063189614427602944

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Nov 15, 2018

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

To be fair, trump does have a legal right to plead the fifth. But if he's at that point, lol.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

"It looks like Trump is just going to straight up ignore the questions he doesn't like!"

"That's a bold strategy, Cotton, let's see if it pays off for him."

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

evilweasel posted:

To be fair, trump does have a legal right to plead the fifth. But if he's at that point, lol.

i bet there's no honest answer he can give to the questions about Don Jr. meeting the russians at Trump Tower, because he obviously knew about it beforehand and people probably called him about it afterwards, and he can't know for sure what records Mueller has and who's testified what about it

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Lightning Knight posted:

Was it this bad under Bush, with the VA scandals and such? I remember hearing about it but I was too young to understand.

"Use of Force: Chicago Police Superintendent Eddie Johnson’s Long Record of Justifying Police Misconduct and Shootings" by Andrew Fan and Sam Stecklow for The Intercept.

There is always something going on with the VA. When you have 380k employees and a 180 billion dollar budget a bunch of things can go wrong.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

is the questioning going to be in person? because i'm having trouble even imagining trump responding to a question with "i plead the fifth" as opposed to lying

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

And they're still operating on, adjusted for inflation, about the same budget they had before Bush started two forever-wars.

The VA's budget in 2000 was ~45 billion in FY2000 dollars, 65 billion adjusted for inflation. Their current budget is 180 billion in FY2017.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Stexils posted:

is the questioning going to be in person? because i'm having trouble even imagining trump responding to a question with "i plead the fifth" as opposed to lying

Rudy Guliani might be the world’s dumbest lawyer but even he knows that under no circumstances can Trump be allowed to be interviewed by Mueller in person.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/yashar/status/1063207693840601091

https://twitter.com/DaniellaMicaela/status/1063209626227957760
loving Florida, I swear to god

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Two minutes late by whose clock?! How the hell is that acceptable?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

There Bias Two posted:

Two minutes late by whose clock?! How the hell is that acceptable?

More curious as to what the new total from the county was. Still going to a hand recount, but that could be an interesting preview.

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

Two minutes? Wow, FL really loving hates democracy, doesn't it? There is no reason to not show a little bit of mercy and accept the new totals. Sec of State is probably on Scott's side and being a pissant about it.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/matthewamiller/status/1063213611592634369

somehow i feel like the way to differentiate Assange from other publishers and not have an endless morass of First Amendment problems is to indict him on the Russia conspiracy

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1063216751553511424?s=19

PELOSIIIIIIII!!!!! :argh:

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Which congressman will be the first to show up in a fedora, do you think? My money's on Gowdy, for some reason

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Someone must have kicked up a stink about Ilhan Omar's head covering.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Crow Jane posted:

Which congressman will be the first to show up in a fedora, do you think? My money's on Gowdy, for some reason

Did the vape guy get reelected? If so him by far.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Bugsy posted:

Did the vape guy get reelected? If so him by far.

Duncan Hunter, under multiple felony indictments, has indeed been re-elected by the fine people of his imperial-crimson district.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

I feel like Rand Paul probably has a bunch of fedoras

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Crow Jane posted:

I feel like Rand Paul probably has a bunch of fedoras

Rand Paul strikes me as the sort to have many different kinds of dork hat, not just fedoras.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

cool kids inc. posted:

Rand Paul strikes me as the sort to have many different kinds of dork hat, not just fedoras.

Probably gets real mad when you call his trilby a fedora. Probably also has a cowboy hat he wears while dumping yard waste on his neighbor's lawn.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Who has the game to pull off the stove pipe hat?

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/jdawsey1/status/1063228418966388736

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

fishing with the fam posted:

AOC

And I hate to say it, but Ted Cruz looks enough like a slimy Dickensian villain that he could maybe make it work.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Party Plane Jones posted:

There's a bunch of ambassadorship postings that are basically regarded as gimmies to donors because they don't require a lot of effort; South Africa was from what I remember one of them

yeah, this is normal for the ambassador to Barbados... not for South Africa

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

predicto posted:

yeah, this is normal for the ambassador to Barbados... not for South Africa

Obama's first diplomat to South Africa was definitely a major donor. The wikipedia page on the second one is less clear but doesn't seem to have been a career diplomat either. Countries like China, Russia, etc get real diplomats. I don't even know if European countries rate real diplomats, usually.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
https://twitter.com/CATargetBot/status/1063235610687692800

well that's it folks, we ran the table in socal (plus CA-10)

also we look to have 59-60 seats out of 80 in the state assembly (picking up seats in oceanside, irvine/costa mesa, rancho cucamonga, and santa clarita, and maaaaaybe the tri-valley in the east bay) and 28-29 seats out of 40 in the state senate (two central california districts plus maybe little saigon/east long beach)

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

The Money Shot posted:

Burdened with thousands of old, error-filled record-keeping systems - estimates range from 2,100 to more than 5,000 of them

If you want a good look at the crushing amount of legacy in the DoD or VA read this.

Its also a good thing to keep in mind when you're wondering why poo poo gets so expensive at big organizations. There isn't "a" system. There are hundreds, or thousands of systems with overlapping and contradictory puropses and they are interconnected in a way that no one knows or understands.

Systems talk to each other and no one knows or notices until it stops working. Files get randomly dropped to a share on a network drive and read by dozens of systems. Or none. Every day a critical report gets loaded into a system... that no one even has access to view. You can't shutdown or replace old systems because you have no idea what depends on it. You may also have legacy code on the inputs that you can't change. Because what loads your system is some compiled executable that has business critical logic in that no one knows any more and the code was lost in The Great Source Control Purge of '05.

Even if a particularly good team knows the direct ancestors and descendant systems for their little corner of the world they have no idea what happens outside that scope.

That is enterprise IT: Thousands of barely managed, barely functional systems in a rats nest to end all rats nests. Now add being managed by geriatric Congressmen to the mix and you have Government IT.

Shifty Pony posted:

There isn't good money in being a COBOL dev directly for the government though because federal GS scale salaries are capped at $164k and it will take you decades to get there, if you can at all in a particular position. That's what, the base + vested stock a few years in at any major SV tech firm? Lord knows what the Fintech firms would be paying.

I think the article hit a bit on the truth when it quoted someone saying "A lot of veterans are hesitant to raise their hand and ask for help", which has allowed the problem to slip under the media's attention.

The majority of developers won't work in SV or Fintech firms. They work writing boring accounting software at random boring companies.

Xae fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Nov 16, 2018

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

evilweasel posted:

Obama's first diplomat to South Africa was definitely a major donor. The wikipedia page on the second one is less clear but doesn't seem to have been a career diplomat either. Countries like China, Russia, etc get real diplomats. I don't even know if European countries rate real diplomats, usually.

hmm... didn't know that. thanks

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

fishing with the fam posted:

Beware the Monkey’s Paw, for you could get your own Jacob Rees-Mogg.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
As an ex South African I am sadden by the fact that America doesn't consider us a real enough country to give us a real ambassador.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Another seat flips blue

https://mobile.twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1063246616474411008

Madkal posted:

As an ex South African I am sadden by the fact that America doesn't consider us a real enough country to give us a real ambassador.

Yeah I still think its a bit of a slap in the chops to get Melania"s tennis partner as ambassador to a pretty major country.

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Nov 16, 2018

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Madkal posted:

The U.S. just doesn’t Vaalue that relationship as much anymore.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Xae posted:

If you want a good look at the crushing amount of legacy in the DoD or VA read this.

Its also a good thing to keep in mind when you're wondering why poo poo gets so expensive at big organizations. There isn't "a" system. There are hundreds, or thousands of systems with overlapping and contradictory puropses and they are interconnected in a way that no one knows or understands.

Systems talk to each other and no one knows or notices until it stops working. Files get randomly dropped to a share on a network drive and read by dozens of systems. Or none. Every day a critical report gets loaded into a system... that no one even has access to view. You can't shutdown or replace old systems because you have no idea what depends on it. You may also have legacy code on the inputs that you can't change. Because what loads your system is some compiled executable that has business critical logic in that no one knows any more and the code was lost in The Great Source Control Purge of '05.

Even if a particularly good team knows the direct ancestors and descendant systems for their little corner of the world they have no idea what happens outside that scope.

That is enterprise IT: Thousands of barely managed, barely functional systems in a rats nest to end all rats nests. Now add being managed by geriatric Congressmen to the mix and you have Government IT.

yeah, and it's not really the core stuff that is the problem. Like I have worked for some town offices and the software they use to generate and record like car registrations and hunting licences is old, it requires activeX, but it's not absurdly old, because at some point it's core enough it gets dragged forward after enough years of complaining, it's out of date but not exceptionally so. On the other hand the printing system used to PRINT the hunting licences is a special dot matrix printer with custom paper from a company that went out of business in 1996 that has no drivers past windows 98 and hard checks if the computer has a modem before the printing system opens and also has some weird analog paper loading where you have to print twice, once to put an x on the form for calibration then a second time where you type in what quadrant of a little tic tac toe board the x fell in to line up the print with the pre-printed data on the form which drifts from page to page. and that nightmare seems like the part that won't be changed till kids born today are old men, because it's so many interlocking parts on something no one will ever want to budget.

Like if it was JUST the database stuff I bet the VA would drag it's feet for 10 or 15 years but eventually get punched into making some mysql thing. The real stumbling blocks are going to be all the side stuff and some bit of software that only generates a report in some homebrew format that can only be read in some other software that only runs on macos 8 or something to send an alert to someone's beeper. stuff that is just intractably tied together made of nonsense custom software that no one part can ever be taken out without collapsing everything.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

This alone is probably enough to kill any hope there was on Florida. Not going to make up 15k votes when one of your biggest vote sources isnt allowed to change its number due to bs

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Sanguinia posted:

This alone is probably enough to kill any hope there was on Florida. Not going to make up 15k votes when one of your biggest vote sources isnt allowed to change its number due to bs

But they are still going to do a hand recount, which was the real chance for this.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Madkal posted:

I'm pretty sure you can count the countries that get a "real" ambassador on the fingers of one hand. It's just not a position that demands someone qualified anymore. The few things they do have to do actually kinda match up well with the skills needed to be a major donor (good at schmoozing lots of rich friends).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

evilweasel posted:

Euro countries definitely get the big donors.

quote:

Some Obama backers have been posted to glamorous European countries. Britain's new US ambassador is Louis Susman, who raised more than $500,000 for Obama. The new ambassador to France is Charles Rivkin, a former TV executive who helped raise $800,000, while Germany is getting Philip Murphy, an ex-finance chairman of the Democratic National Committee who has donated $1.9m to the party since 1989.

I also vaguely remember a bunch of Europeans passive-aggressively bitching about this during Obama's second term, and also complaining that they didn't even get any ambassadors at all because they kept getting stuck in Senate confirmation limbo.