Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

mlmp08 posted:

Informal poll: rank order from these options why the right is so loving obsessed with AOC despite her not really being in any position of power beyond social/popularity in congress compared to her peers that run committees and poo poo:

In no initial order:

1. Policy
2. Age
3. Story of a huge upset over an old white dude favorite
4. She's attractive

4, 2, 1, 3 is my guess. Yell about the youth while also being kind of pervy-mad

Young, woman, minority, strong left-of-center (really left of anything nowadays) views. Any 2 of the 4 would be enough for them to go insane. Not sure how to rank them though in terms of which makes them hate her more.

e: vvv poo poo, you're right, I kinda wanna change my answer.

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Nov 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
totally going to have to go with "not deferential to old white men" myself

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

mods changed my name posted:

I'm gay

was the guys defense of that tweet, basically

Ahh, the spacey. A classic

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

totally going to have to go with "not deferential to old white men" myself

I intentionally left "not white" and "doesn't go along with old white dudes" off because too obvious. They're mad at LOOOTS of people like that. But the thing is: There are tons of other new members of congress who fit that bill and don't get 1/10th the play on right wing media as AOC. And, to be fair, probably only 1/4 the play on left wing media.

And I think "attractive" actually matters because holy poo poo there is/was some pervy-vision coverage of things like "spring break bad!" on Fox News that were totally just giant segments of hot girls dancing in thongs or naked and blurred or whatever. Plus, you know, those miserable memes of how leftist women are ugly and right wing women are hot. And "The Five's" seating arrangements...

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
im afraid to go into DnD and ask, can anyone do words about who speaker of the house maybe? I See people saying no to PElosi, if not than who? are there any legit candidates or is it too early?

I've tried to intergrate more domestic political reading but alot of my wake up check the news routine is stil lforeign policy focused

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Waroduce posted:

im afraid to go into DnD and ask, can anyone do words about who speaker of the house maybe? I See people saying no to PElosi, if not than who? are there any legit candidates or is it too early?

Pelosi. Even among people who dislike her, people ask "then who?" and the answer is "NOT PELOSI!" but that's not a name. Also, Pelosi isn't a hardcore leftist darling, but she's generally effective. Especially in comparison with re-confirmed Chuck Schumer, who couldn't strongarm his way into an already opened bag of chips. One of the alternate Pelosi choices just said she thinks Pelosi should be pressured on stuff, but she'd back Pelosi.

Probably more effective to lobby and pressure the hell out of Pelosi to move left on some stuff than to kick out a proven effective house leader in exchange for someone else in the name of someone else, honestly.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

I intentionally left "not white" and "doesn't go along with old white dudes" off because too obvious. They're mad at LOOOTS of people like that. But the thing is: There are tons of other new members of congress who fit that bill and don't get 1/10th the play on right wing media as AOC. And, to be fair, probably only 1/4 the play on left wing media.

And I think "attractive" actually matters because holy poo poo there is/was some pervy-vision coverage of things like "spring break bad!" on Fox News that were totally just giant segments of hot girls dancing in thongs or naked and blurred or whatever. Plus, you know, those miserable memes of how leftist women are ugly and right wing women are hot. And "The Five's" seating arrangements...

Eh, she's the most high profile of the freshman class. The win that Sharice Daivids, the lesbian Native American woman, pulled off in Kansas is a hundred times more impressive (and should be more terrifying to conservatives who think they're safe in middle America), but AOC's touring the country with Bernie before ever actually being elected so she's an easy target from a visibility perspective.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

mlmp08 posted:

Pelosi. Even among people who dislike her, people ask "then who?" and the answer is "NOT PELOSI!" but that's not a name. Also, Pelosi isn't a hardcore leftist darling, but she's generally effective. Especially in comparison with re-confirmed Chuck Schumer, who couldn't strongarm his way into an already opened bag of chips. One of the alternate Pelosi choices just said she thinks Pelosi should be pressured on stuff, but she'd back Pelosi.

Probably more effective to lobby and pressure the hell out of Pelosi to move left on some stuff than to kick out a proven effective house leader in exchange for someone else in the name of someone else, honestly.

Especially since the ones making the most noise about booting Pelosi are the "forgotten white men" booster wing of the party.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Waroduce posted:

I've tried to intergrate more domestic political reading but alot of my wake up check the news routine is stil lforeign policy focused

So Pelosi is facing opposition from both wings of the party right now, but it's very important to note that it's only actually organized on one direction: the right. The current face of the anti-Pelosi movement is currently Tim Ryan, a relatively conservative Democrat from Ohio who's unsuccessfully tried to oust Pelosi before. On his side (And the person Ryan is currently championing for the speakership) is Representative Marcia Fudge (Also of Ohio), who was the former chair of the Congressional Black Caucus, and is noted as being one of only four Democrats (Including the Senate) who refused to cosponsor the Equality Act.

As it stands, Pelosi has been working to shore up support on the left, pledging to put members of the Progressive Caucus on extremely influential committees, including Ways and Means (Probably the single most important committee in the House) and Appropriations. There also isn't exactly anyone jumping out as a clear candidate on the left for the Speakership, as most of the likely candidates are already either allied with Pelosi or are unwilling to challenge her since it's highly unlikely Pelosi will actually be ousted, let alone replaced with anyone further on the left (As even with the influx of new blood, Pelosi is still probably further to the left than the majority her caucus, certainly more so than most people realize).

In the end, though, there's a reason Pelosi has her job and has kept it for so long: She is drat good at what she does. Ryan failed before, and chances are he's probably going to fail again.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Paul Ryan is leaving Congress. I imagine that now he'll move on to more direct methods of torturing and killing the poor.

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

DoktorLoken posted:

I saw John Cornyn walking through DCA a bit ago, he’s every bit as ghoulish rear end in a top hat looking in person as he is on tv.

I did not know this existed until only recently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vcB7uCqdFk

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

aoc is bae

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Ooooooooooops.

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1063263033202536449

https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/1063268576222568449

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

https://twitter.com/renato_mariotti/status/1063262174175469569?s=21

Oh, that’s interesting. :stare:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Pelosi is really good at raising money and whipping votes for Romneycare and Bush tax cuts so naturally its misogyny why leftists dont like her

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Pelosi is really good at raising money and whipping votes for Romneycare and Bush tax cuts so naturally its misogyny why leftists dont like her

Who should replace her? And how would that feasibly work?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
At least she whips anything at all. Once we elect her effective speaker we can call her office every day for two years telling her to abolish ice and federally legalize weed.

It’s the Clinton phenomenon. She’s got terrible policy but she’s at least effective and ostensibly on our team. And much like Clinton you hold your nose and support her for now because there’s nobody else who compete until after 2020

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

pelosi is very smart in terms of inside baseball in the house

and she raises hella money

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Barbara Lee is the name I see bandied about, only vote against the AUMF

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Muellers's team asked for a 10 day extension on Manaforte's cooperation status meeting

10 days....

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

pelosi is very smart in terms of inside baseball in the house

and she raises hella money

When the ACA repeal failed in the House in March 2017 I was watching all day from the gallery pretty much sitting directly over her. She’s a machine working her caucus so I’m torn. On one hand it’d be nice to see some new leadership step up, on the other she’s extremely effective in terms of managing things internally.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

DoktorLoken posted:

When the ACA repeal failed in the House in March 2017 I was watching all day from the gallery pretty much sitting directly over her. She’s a machine working her caucus so I’m torn. On one hand it’d be nice to see some new leadership step up, on the other she’s extremely effective in terms of managing things internally.

exactly

she knows how to work the House. The House Dems have probably what is coming up on the most important session of congress since... gently caress if I know.

at this point i want someone who knows what the gently caress theyre doing and can get ducks in a row. too much is riding on this.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

at this point im convinced we'll see President Pence by March 2019

Nostalgia4Butts fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Nov 16, 2018

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Muellers's team asked for a 10 day extension on Manaforte's cooperation status meeting

10 days....

Ok, that's the most curious thing I've seen in a while.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/WhiteHouse/status/1063104102324994049

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Veterans will probably believe it too

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
*rainy days excluded

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

*rainy days excluded

Only because he refuses to let our Marines hold an umbrella for him!

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Godholio posted:

Ok, that's the most curious thing I've seen in a while.

especially with the manaforte case

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-11-16/mueller-promises-judge-more-details-on-manafort-case-in-10-days

its a good sign they're done with him supposedly

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

now boarding

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
As a rep I really dislike Pelosi, she is way too corporatist/center. As a speaker I like her because she is crafty as poo poo. She’s smart enough to know leaning left will keep voter energy up and she’ll do it.

Her plan to pass basically our wishlist of bills and make the republicans vote it down repeatedly is solid. It’s a good way to get a democratic message out through the trump noise.

“See this is what you’d get if you didn’t have an Ayn Randian death cult headed by a budding kleptocracy running the country”

Once the dust clears she can move left or out.

But gently caress Schumer. That Facebook article confirmed just what kind of a shithead he is.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

At least she whips anything at all. Once we elect her effective speaker we can call her office every day for two years telling her to abolish ice and federally legalize weed.

It’s the Clinton phenomenon. She’s got terrible policy but she’s at least effective and ostensibly on our team. And much like Clinton you hold your nose and support her for now because there’s nobody else who compete until after 2020

Following that argument I caucused for Clinton in the 2016 primary instead of Bernie. I probably convinced a few people to caucus for Hillary instead of Bernie.

I was wrong. That was a mistake.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I can’t believe someone did a DDOS attack on gmail.

https://twitter.com/escarry/status/1063273382135894016?s=21

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

How anout NOT having the flag take up most of the loving foreground. I could do that poo poo job easily.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Richard Bong posted:

As a rep I really dislike Pelosi, she is way too corporatist/center. As a speaker I like her because she is crafty as poo poo. She’s smart enough to know leaning left will keep voter energy up and she’ll do it.

Her plan to pass basically our wishlist of bills and make the republicans vote it down repeatedly is solid. It’s a good way to get a democratic message out through the trump noise.

“See this is what you’d get if you didn’t have an Ayn Randian death cult headed by a budding kleptocracy running the country”

Once the dust clears she can move left or out.

But gently caress Schumer. That Facebook article confirmed just what kind of a shithead he is.

Agreed about Schumer, he was, and always has been, a Wall Street shill who is basically JUST left of center.

But Pelosi, aside from getting the ACA passed, does not impress me as Speaker, or as minority leader. She's part of the old guard, and the sooner we get rid of them, the better. She's fallen for Republican lies almost as much as Schumer has. I also don't see her being able to pass a whole wishlist of bills in the House, either - not with so many Reps in red states and or districts. I could very well be wrong about the latter, but I just don't trust her or Schumer at all anymore.

gently caress decorum. gently caress the Republicans.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Bored As gently caress posted:

Agreed about Schumer, he was, and always has been, a Wall Street shill who is basically JUST left of center.

But Pelosi, aside from getting the ACA passed, does not impress me as Speaker, or as minority leader. She's part of the old guard, and the sooner we get rid of them, the better. She's fallen for Republican lies almost as much as Schumer has. I also don't see her being able to pass a whole wishlist of bills in the House, either - not with so many Reps in red states and or districts. I could very well be wrong about the latter, but I just don't trust her or Schumer at all anymore.

gently caress decorum. gently caress the Republicans.

Who will do better? Again, the biggest push to get rid of her in Congress has been from the conservative Democrats who say she's paying too much attention to minorities and not enough to old white people in diners.
Who is going to do the actual job of Speaker of the House better than she does?

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

I'd be down for Barbara Lee, but she (and near as I can tell, all other left-ish reps) are backing Pelosi. So.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Ya the progressive wing said they weren't happy with Pelosi, the blue dogs or w/e they're called capitalized on the anti-pelosi train to get more in the centre for whatever reason and Pelosi said she will help the left wing as much as she can and the progressives will back her now so it could be good for the left if she stays in and keeps her word

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The number of people missing in the big CA fire just tripled to over 600

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

shame on an IGA posted:

The number of people missing in the big CA fire just tripled to over 600

I’m really hoping that this is due to people being in disparate shelters and the accounting process hasn’t caught up yet, because the other possibilities are too horrifying to really think about.

If faced between dying from smoke inhalation or burning to death, I’m taking option 3 and doing myself with whatever else I have on hand. gently caress THAT.