Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

exquisite tea posted:

You don’t actually have to run. The portal will appear right in front of you when it finishes loading.

It took me way too long to figure that out. And then the stories stopped :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It utterly boggles the mind how many people express the idea “I’d rather have a loading screen than this room/climbing section/puzzle/tunnel”

Like... why? This is seriously one of the most impressive parts of the game and some people would prefer the game stops and you just like read a splash page instead? It’s utterly alien to me.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

If you want a game to look as good as God of War on outdated PS4 hardware then you have to make compromises somewhere. The mirrors were an imperfect answer to an unsolveable problem, but they're a better kludge than pretty much any other solution developers have come up with to present a seamless experience.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Bust Rodd posted:

It utterly boggles the mind how many people express the idea “I’d rather have a loading screen than this room/climbing section/puzzle/tunnel”

Like... why? This is seriously one of the most impressive parts of the game and some people would prefer the game stops and you just like read a splash page instead? It’s utterly alien to me.

I kinda like a loading screen that can kill you.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

I don’t think it’s a bad idea but when your choices are “stand still” or “run in circle” and you might get something to listen to while you do one or the other it isn’t really any different.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

The only thing I would have done differently is give you the ability to teleport directly between realms just by going through the mirror once. When you reach the endgame and are doing the Muspelheim/Niflheim trials it's a real drag to repeatedly teleport back to the main room, THEN align the realms, THEN walk through another portal to get where you want to be. You should be able to tab to whatever realm you wanna visit.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Bust Rodd posted:

It didn't bother me much but there were several points in this game when I thought it would be cool if dad/boi just moved through loading screen passages on their own instead of pretending to be actual gameplay by making me push buttons.

That way I could at least take a short break.

E: Also the above. The world travel room is cool and all and during the story you don't use it much so it's no big deal. But if I were to teleport all over the place it would quickly become a chore and I'd rather have "select place -> wait for game to load".

orcane fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Nov 13, 2018

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

orcane posted:

It didn't bother me much but there were several points in this game when I thought it would be cool if dad/boi just moved through loading screen passages on their own instead of pretending to be actual gameplay by making me push buttons.

That way I could at least take a short break.

You can take a short break. Just stand still and the portal will appear in front of you after a bit and you can walk through it when you feel like it.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

shortspecialbus posted:

You can take a short break. Just stand still and the portal will appear in front of you after a bit and you can walk through it when you feel like it.

I meant the sequences where you're eg. crawling through tight spots for a bit.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

orcane posted:

I meant the sequences where you're eg. crawling through tight spots for a bit.

Oh those. Yeah I guess, they didn't bother me. I honestly wasn't bothered by any of it and I thought it all was a neat trick to avoid loading screens while working within technical constraints.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

It’s better than the mass effect elevators, you gotta at least admit that

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Ainsley McTree posted:

It was funny how fast those were on PC compared to the original Xbox 360 release.

And then PC with mods vs. PC without in ME2 :v:

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I seem to remember the ME elevators still being long af on PC even if technically finished loading in a fraction of the time console would.

Was that ME2?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

esperterra posted:

I seem to remember the ME elevators still being long af on PC even if technically finished loading in a fraction of the time console would.

Was that ME2?

Yeah the Normandy loading screens in ME2 were totally illusory and you could mod them out on PC for instant travel.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
IIRC that was also the case for the one elevator in ME1, the one that ran from the crew deck to the hangar and seemed to take 45 seconds to travel maybe 10 feet.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Ainsley McTree posted:

It’s one of those things where no one wins because I’m annoyed when I’m told to just wait for a while and I’m annoyed when I’m told to do meaningless busywork for 30 seconds because someone is trying to fool me into believing I’m actually doing something.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

haveblue posted:

IIRC that was also the case for the one elevator in ME1, the one that ran from the crew deck to the hangar and seemed to take 45 seconds to travel maybe 10 feet.
There's a mod that doubles elevator speed in ME1, so I guess not all of them run as fast as they could - but some are used for events (play parts of the story, party dialogue or news reports eg.) on top of loading new maps. The elevator you mean is pretty fast (takes 5 to 10 seconds or so IIRC) on a modern PC but on X360 it took forever.

The Mass Effect elevators are worst in the game's original Xbox 360 release. ME2 has the mentioned issue that it "normalizes" loading screens across platforms with its Normandy elevators, but probably overdoes it for really slow (console) HDDs - and the game has no issues shoving literal loading screens in your face elsewhere so I don't know why they bothered. And then ME3 put in that fake checkpoint :suicide:

Kibayasu posted:

It's one of those things where no one wins because I'm annoyed when I'm told to just wait for a while and I'm annoyed when I'm told to do meaningless busywork for 30 seconds because someone is trying to fool me into believing I'm actually doing something.
Pretty much, yeah.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

To even things out I had the most badass fight with the Valkyrie that spawns adds as her gimmick (unless there’s another that does that) so you know, game good despite the loading.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

orcane posted:

The Mass Effect elevators are worst in the game's original Xbox 360 release. ME2 has the mentioned issue that it "normalizes" loading screens across platforms with its Normandy elevators, but probably overdoes it for really slow (console) HDDs - and the game has no issues shoving literal loading screens in your face elsewhere so I don't know why they bothered. And then ME3 put in that fake checkpoint :suicide:

The one cool thing ME2 does with its elevator load screen is that when the Collectors abduct the Normandy crew, you see the elevators going in the opposite direction.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I can't remember, but can you practice combos and poo poo in the realm loads?

More games need Bayo combo practice loads.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

loving wulvers every time they appear in an Ivaldi room.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Kibayasu posted:

loving wulvers every time they appear in an Ivaldi room.

Those are definitely my least favorite enemy, and their presence in Niflheim is at least half the reason I never bothered with that place

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Wulvers are easy though, those goddamn little snake things that stay in the ground for 30 seconds at a time are the real enemy.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Wulvers are easy though, those goddamn little snake things that stay in the ground for 30 seconds at a time are the real enemy.

Oops, I haven't played the game for a while and thought these guys were what wulvers were. Forget my last post, it's these guys that made me bounce off niflheim (that and I played on easy and didn't care enough about the loot to grind it)

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
The Niflheim Svartalf king is the worst.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I just can’t seem to get the timing on their bigger attacks down pat enough to parry or dodge. I usually have to kill everything else (which is a problem if they’re paired with revenants) and use Boy to do most of the damage until he distracts them.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Wolvar are very vulnerable to stun, light em up with BOY arrows and R3 them in half.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
So is the Zeus armor available in NG? Seems like potentially the best option is to farm up a lot of cool poo poo in NG and then go to NG+ and be crazy strong. I'm really interested in doing an NG+ GMGOW playthrough with the zeus armor because it sounds hilarious, but I'm worried I can't get the armor outside of NG+.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I just got this game and tried playing on give me challenge. I cannot.

Seriously my hands started cramping after few hours because the fights are so chaotic. Plus enemies feel like dmg sponges. I just beat the stranger but after the game started throwing poison spitting ghosts and armored axe monsters at the same time my hands couldnt keep up anymore.

I think ill restart just to give me a fresh start.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

WaltherFeng posted:

I just got this game and tried playing on give me challenge. I cannot.

Seriously my hands started cramping after few hours because the fights are so chaotic. Plus enemies feel like dmg sponges. I just beat the stranger but after the game started throwing poison spitting ghosts and armored axe monsters at the same time my hands couldnt keep up anymore.

I think ill restart just to give me a fresh start.

I played on normal and the challenge level is good to learn the game. It's also way harder early so you can ratchet it up later if you like. Once you know the ropes it's much easier to get rid of enemies with the frosty axe throws. Building up stun is also important.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The beginning on Challenge is indeed a lot of bullshit you aren’t prepared for, I had to force myself through it but I think I came out better now that I’m almost finished. Still some of those early fights against 5 or 6 things at once where you die in 3 hits took me longer to beat than some of the Valkyrie fights.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Kibayasu posted:

The beginning on Challenge is indeed a lot of bullshit you aren’t prepared for, I had to force myself through it but I think I came out better now that I’m almost finished. Still some of those early fights against 5 or 6 things at once where you die in 3 hits took me longer to beat than some of the Valkyrie fights.

You really need to teach yourself to freeze and smash dudes on challenge or gmgow. Punching is also bread and butter, possibly more useful than the axe (in the beginning) because building stun and executing is much faster than chopping in general. The axe execute is worth bearing in mind as well, it's extremely useful if your timing is good.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I finally killed Sigrun on Give Me A Challenge and am ready to go for all the collectibles on Give Me God of War. Starting NG+ at lvl 9 vs lvl 7 is such a massive difference it's dizzying.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Humble smug talk but I actually didn’t find Sigrun all that bad. It took a few deaths to remember how to react to the various tells from previous Valkyries (and to just immediately fire an arrow no matter what if she went into the air) but after that it was more of a matter of my reaction time failing me that led to more death.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Theres something about the axe throwing that makes my left wrist and fingers hurt. Or Im developing a carpal tunnel syndrome.

Gonna try playing on normal later

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The axe physics in God of War are one of the most satisfying mechanics I’ve seen recently, like it should win an award for Gameplay Element of the Year up there with web swinging for Spider-Man or w/e. The weight of the weapon, the inventive ways in which you can recall it, everything just works as it should. Even in many of the slower walk and talk segments, SMS kind of brilliantly placed barrels and destructible objects along the pathway for the player to smash. I’ve since played the new Tomb Raider and Assassin’s Creed this year and while they were perfectly good games in their own right, I often found myself wishing that I could use my weapons in more creative ways.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
For me, what really shines is having the R1 as a dedicated "Axe" button. it allows me to seemlessly flow into and out of combos a la' Devil May Cry. When Sigrun rises into the air for her unstoppable flash attack, nailing her in the face with Leviathan is intensely satisfying

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

*In 100 different tones*

Boi

Serious edit: gonna play some GoW soon. My current save is just before the infamous collapsing bridge (also known as the "Booyy...").

I cleared this part before on Challenging but realized I wasnt having fun so I reverted to an earlier save to see if this part is better on Normal.

I understand this is a pretty long RPG length game so I realized Im not going to have fun if I have to restart every fight 3-5 times.

Im trying to approach it like regular action RPG.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Nov 18, 2018

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

After beating the game I have to say that Baldur wasn’t that great of a villain. Performed very well, yes, but he wasn’t around enough, even just in passing, and his boss fights were kind of same-y and simple. It feels like everything with him was setup for Freya in the sequel. I’m betting spreading the ashes revive the giants somehow and I did go home.

On to NG+ I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Kibayasu posted:

After beating the game I have to say that Baldur wasn’t that great of a villain. Performed very well, yes, but he wasn’t around enough, even just in passing, and his boss fights were kind of same-y and simple. It feels like everything with him was setup for Freya in the sequel. I’m betting spreading the ashes revive the giants somehow and I did go home.

On to NG+ I think.

... you're not very familiar with Norse Mythology, huh?

Baldur's death is foretold as the start of Ragnarok, that's specifically why he's made to be nigh invulnerable.