Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Gods, being a kidnapping assassin randomly stealing people with good bloodlines is cray

Has anyone tried forcing those dudes into becoming consorts? Only done it as a dude thus far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Gods, being a kidnapping assassin randomly stealing people with good bloodlines is cray

Has anyone tried forcing those dudes into becoming consorts? Only done it as a dude thus far

Not sure, I raid-kidnapped the 1 year old king of my larger rival neighbours but was pretty disappointed with the options I had whilst having the baby ruler of an enemy nation in my dungeons. I could not matrilinearly betroth him to my daughter even.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I own all of the trade in africa. Every yellow coastal county and saharan trade post on the interior is controlled by my family, all connected to capital. Earning about 150 a month income in 830 which ain't too bad. I've started having my first feudal and republican counties popping out in the interior of Africa, and tech is spreading like wildfire, so it should increase a lot soon. In the meantime, I will be turning my sights to the silk road.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Patrat posted:

Not sure, I raid-kidnapped the 1 year old king of my larger rival neighbours but was pretty disappointed with the options I had whilst having the baby ruler of an enemy nation in my dungeons. I could not matrilinearly betroth him to my daughter even.
Nah, you can only really raise them wrong then kidnap them back

satanists can induct them by force after raising them, then force them back: this works best if you're one of the tiny ones so it's more likely you're the head and can force them to come over

Also what the gently caress triggers whether a bloodline goes down both lines? This is hideously irritating because I had a blessed child and a reformed (why the gently caress ain't that a bloodline) but the blessed is a girl who just conquered England with my help while I'm a male african

what gives here? is it from picking equality as reform?

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Roland Jones posted:

That reminds me, since male concubines are a thing now, are those only for reformed religions that pick the right beliefs, or could existing religions that achieve full equality (whether through technology and laws or through the game rule) get them too?

Tibetan Bön ladies get them by default. They allow concubines / consorts for either sex. Not sure about the equality rule.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Is it just me? After generating a ton of random worlds with default and different settings I have yet to see a religion generate that CAN'T raid its neighbors. Even the religions that start fully 'reformed'.

Which means the game will just be raiding hell from everyone forever and ever and ever. Which seems born out in my game.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
The Equality and Enatic Clans religion features, as well as the Bon and West African pagan religions, allow female rulers to take male concubines by default.

There's nothing in the script that suggests that the equality laws or game rules will allow it, though (interestingly enough, it's possible to set up a society so members of a certain rank can take concubines, even if their religion wouldn't ordinarily allow it).

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

The only current Saint presented without commentary.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dallan Invictus posted:

The Equality and Enatic Clans religion features, as well as the Bon and West African pagan religions, allow female rulers to take male concubines by default.

There's nothing in the script that suggests that the equality laws or game rules will allow it, though (interestingly enough, it's possible to set up a society so members of a certain rank can take concubines, even if their religion wouldn't ordinarily allow it).

Well now someone has to mod in some kind of Eyes Wide Shut secret society. The only requirement is that you have the seduction focus.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

I was kinda dissapointed to see humans in my random world. For those of you like me, I found just the mod to fix that: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1565407223

Now I'd just appreciate a couple more animal portraits so its easier to keep track of who's who.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Decided after a long life and with a full treasury it was time to search for a smith to get some crown jewels made. He wants 1300 ducats which is basically every ducat I have... then I get the event where he can make quality 4 instead of 3. Going 1000 ducats into debt won't be so bad I guess. How do I get rid of all these highway robbers and thieves guilds.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

cheesetriangles posted:

Decided after a long life and with a full treasury it was time to search for a smith to get some crown jewels made. He wants 1300 ducats which is basically every ducat I have... then I get the event where he can make quality 4 instead of 3. Going 1000 ducats into debt won't be so bad I guess. How do I get rid of all these highway robbers and thieves guilds.

Getting back into positive cash is the only way I've found.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

cheesetriangles posted:

Spend less on crown jewels.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Funky Valentine posted:

Spend less on crown jewels.

no

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Well I was only negative for a bit I'm back in the positive. Now I'm trying to figure out how to make my tribal vassals become feudal to get rid of wrong government type penalty.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

So let's say I wanna start a 769 game as a Germanic Pagan and get my Viking on.

Now let's say I'm a stubborn fool and don't want to take the "Easy" route of playing as Sigurdr the Ring, in fact I'm taking the stupid route and playing as the first Yngling accessible in the game, Oysteinn of Heidmark in Oppland, who is basically a one-county nobody with a claim on the (vacant) Duchy of Viken to the south (but no claim on the counties that make up the Duchy).

What the hell is my gameplan for early expansion? Let's say my goal for now is to become the High Chief/Duke of Oppland then try to get my hands on the High Chiefdom of Viken. I can use the subjugation CB (unlimited times within Norway if I choose the "Become King of Norway" ambition) but I believe that just force vassalizes the target? Actually does that even work when we're both count level rulers? The only other war dec I seem to be able to use is Tributary on neighbors, but I don't think I want to do that to the other Chiefs of Oppland since that will make actually stealing their counties for myself harder.

So what the heck do I do? Does the Subjugation CB outright give me counties if I'm also a Chief/Count myself instead of making them vassals? Cause thats fine if so. Otherwise I guess its playing the fabricate claim game?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
One thing that's pretty annoying as the Byzantine emperor is the electoral strength penalty for dismissing competent commanders. Fine in theory since they're candidates for the succession, but you'll somehow accumulate it even if you never dismiss or replace any commanders and the penalty seems to stick with you until death. There also doesn't seem to be much you can do to increase your electoral strength. The only consequential bonus I've seen comes from prestige which hits a ceiling very quickly and by virtue of being the emperor you're basically always going to have it.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Galaga Galaxian posted:

mo' viking, mo' problems

the subjugation cb when you're both counts just tosses them out, allowing you to take the county. there's also a conquest cb available for two hundred prestige which accomplishes the same thing, without the need to use the 'form kingdom' ambition.

that's a hard start, but you do have a few options. wait until the bluetooth or one of his kids conquers a county bordering yours, then swear fealty and carve it up from the inside. it'll be an on-going thunderdome for a couple of generations and your liege will probably flip between sweden and denmark a few times, but it's not that big of a concern. in the meanwhile you can wait for all the other dumbshit one province minors to war with each other, then attack them after their done burning troops in pointless futility. the second way, which I've only ever pulled off once, involves murdering sigurdr and marrying his widown. she's the only heir to viken's capitol and in her early twenties, which means you won't really benefit from the marriage, but your heirs will.

have your steward set to raise glory and if event troops do trigger, find a use for them immediately as they'll be the only way you'll have the manpower to win battles in the region for a while.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

You mean Haraldr the Wartooth, High Chief of Sjaeland?

Also, geh, willingly becoming a vassal to someone.... my one weakness. Still, it'd give me the protection I need to gobble up the rest of Oppland and maybe even Viken before making myself a High Chief/Duke and breaking away.

One more question, if I use my One-Time Subjugation CB can I still use more subjugation CBs later if I select the "Become King of X" ambition? Cause that first subjugation would get me the 100 prestige I'd need to launch a Border Dispute CB, which costs 100 prestige, and awards 100 prestige if you win, meaning I can potentially just keep chaining Border Disputes. I mean I could just pop the Become King ambition for free subjugations, but I figure another ambition might be more useful starting out (such as raising an heir).

[fake edit] Actually I guess it just calls High Chiefs Kings now?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
High Chiefs (duke tier) get called Kings (Petty King of X) in some cultures, but they won't count for the ambition - it's gotta be a full-fledged King.

That said, if you have the Become King ambition you can use the Subjugation CB even if you've already used your once-a-lifetime subjugation, so go nuts.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

lol oops

RIP Ragnarr you were the petty king of Viken with lovely stats and then died, having only earned a bloodline by it being programmed in.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Galaga Galaxian posted:

One more question, if I use my One-Time Subjugation CB can I still use more subjugation CBs later if I select the "Become King of X" ambition? Cause that first subjugation would get me the 100 prestige I'd need to launch a Border Dispute CB, which costs 100 prestige, and awards 100 prestige if you win, meaning I can potentially just keep chaining Border Disputes. I mean I could just pop the Become King ambition for free subjugations, but I figure another ambition might be more useful starting out (such as raising an heir).

If you use your one-time subjugation CB, you can regain the subjugation CB for rulers in your kingdom through the "become king" ambition. But not the other way around, if you subjugate someone within Norway while having the ambition, you've then used up you one-time CB. So do it your way.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Well, three years in and things are going really swell so far. I've taken everything in Oppland and am waiting for my levies to build up so I can seize Vingulsmark to ensure I get coastal access. However I just realized the obvious problem of Germanic Tribals. Gavelkind means my realm is gonna blow up if I die with no Petty King title. Unfortunately, while I can create the the Title of Oppland, I'd need nearly 150 more gold to do that, which is about 40 year's income. I'm already 32, not good odds in an occupation as violent as belligerent Germanic Chief.

I guess I could try raiding, but my fellow Norse neighbors are as shitpoor as I am, I assume. Meanwhile the viking age hasn't started yet, so no boats, meaning its a looooong walk to the richer Christian lands and leaves my army deployed well away from my territory, just asking for trouble.

So how the hell do I get some gold? Maybe the Duchy of Viken would be cheaper to form since I have a claim on it?

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Nov 16, 2018

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Well, three years in and things are going really swell so far. I've taken everything in Oppland and am waiting for my levies to build up so I can seize Vingulsmark to ensure I get coastal access. However I just realized the obvious problem of Germanic Tribals. Gavelkind means my realm is gonna blow up if I die with no Petty King title. Unfortunately, while I can create the the Title of Oppland, I'd need nearly 200 gold to do that, which is about 40 year's income. I'm already 32, not good odds in an occupation as violent as belligerent Germanic Chief.

I guess I could try raiding, but my fellow Norse neighbors are as shitpoor as I am, I assume. Meanwhile the viking age hasn't started yet, so no boats, meaning its a looooong walk to the richer Christian lands and leaves my army deployed well away from my territory, just asking for trouble.

So how the hell do I get some gold? Maybe the Duchy of Viken would be cheaper to form since I have a claim on it?

You're right that raiding your neighbors is worth a lot less than raiding the rich Christian lands. However, it's still worth something. Rely on prestige retinues rather than levies wherever you can, and raid anywhere with a temple holding preferentially. You'll get maybe 0-4 gold per Tribal holding you raid, but up to 20ish for raiding a church. Each place you raid is multiple years off your timer.

Also, it looks like you only have one child so Gavelkind shouldn't hurt you too badly. If that screenshot is outdated and you have more, remember that Strong Claim Duels are a thing now and reuniting the land is just a few fratricides away.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Is there a good way to raise my retinue cap? Right now its 20 and even the cheapest prestige retinue of 150 Light Infantry costs 105 cap.

And by 20 gold for raiding a church you mean Christian Churches, right? Not the Norse temples (wouldn't that hurt Moral Authority)?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Well, three years in and things are going really swell so far. I've taken everything in Oppland and am waiting for my levies to build up so I can seize Vingulsmark to ensure I get coastal access. However I just realized the obvious problem of Germanic Tribals. Gavelkind means my realm is gonna blow up if I die with no Petty King title. Unfortunately, while I can create the the Title of Oppland, I'd need nearly 150 more gold to do that, which is about 40 year's income. I'm already 32, not good odds in an occupation as violent as belligerent Germanic Chief.

Never stop raiding anyway. Keep walking your stack into neighboring provinces to siege down their cap and grab the cash that's laying around. You'll get 5-10 gold per province, a little more if they also have a church. If you've raised your raiding levies while they're still a little depleted they will still regenerate while you're raiding. You want to spend your first gold on the duchy title and grab a coastal province asap. When you're a duke, you generate tech points and you want to spend your first bit to build a shipyard in that coastal province so you can start raiding properly. It's a good idea to build shipyards in as many coastal provinces as you can before the viking age starts, because viking age gives +1 to every Norse coastal province regardless of the current level.

Never stop raiding.

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists
Had a really fun time in my Africa game. An independent member of my dynasty founded the Kingdom of Mali and I wanted to make some claimants so I could go to war for it, so I antagonized her until I could "duel" (read: murder) her senile and depressed rear end.

Thing is, I had all her daughters in jail to a previous raid... and due to a quirk of inheritance law (I guess she had no daughters of her own), the new ruler of Mali now had me as her heir.

Never mashed "execute prisoner" so enthusiastically before.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Galaga Galaxian posted:

And by 20 gold for raiding a church you mean Christian Churches, right? Not the Norse temples (wouldn't that hurt Moral Authority)?

Temples getting raided only hurts moral authority if the raider has a different faith. So go hog wild and raid those Norse temples!

Edit: At least I think it works that way... Just look up the MA before and after you finish sieging a temple.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Nov 16, 2018

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Diogines posted:

1. If you make a random world is there any way to find counties with the most slots so you can pick them?

You can do better: There's an option in random/Shattered setup to force all counties to have 1 to 7 clots.

Astus
Nov 11, 2008

Astus posted:

This is the best DLC, by far. I don't think I've ever had a character as memorable as Dilek the Great Beat, Forest Walker and devotee to The One Who Came Before. And she doesn't even have good stats!

I wasn't expecting her to become better at killing after getting old, but Dilek fixed the whole "doesn't have good stats" thing. She finally lost her depressed trait after realizing how much she loved killing mid-battle, and also decided to take control of her weight and lost the Fat and Gluttonous traits. Also gained the brawny trait, because getting old doesn't mean you can't get giant muscles I guess. She no longer uses a flail, having stolen a short sword from an enemy leader before murdering him with it, but her final use of the flail was throwing it at a guy's stomach so hard she disemboweled him.

Filled up the Legend bar for the Forest Walkers before carving a path through the greatest warriors of a religion that flays its dead priests before turning them into books. Also dueled a polar bear, is that always the final battle? Dilek currently has a swollen ankle, swollen wrist, and yet another black eye, but despite being severely injured she still had a personal combat skill of 120. She is the most murderous old lady on the map, and is still my favorite character.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Gobblecoque posted:

One thing that's pretty annoying as the Byzantine emperor is the electoral strength penalty for dismissing competent commanders. Fine in theory since they're candidates for the succession, but you'll somehow accumulate it even if you never dismiss or replace any commanders and the penalty seems to stick with you until death. There also doesn't seem to be much you can do to increase your electoral strength. The only consequential bonus I've seen comes from prestige which hits a ceiling very quickly and by virtue of being the emperor you're basically always going to have it.
Yeah, it's bugged. People are being considered as "fired" if they gain a title and are therefore ineligible for their previous position. Ask me about new popes hating me because I "fired them from my council" on their elevation to Supreme Pontiff.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
so the Warrior Lodge top-level ability to never, ever die in battle intersects... interestingly with immortal characters

(you literally cannot die of anything except assassinations)

e: also, something's hosed with the traits and events associated with Bloodthirsty Gods

zebez
Apr 27, 2008

I just had to remove those icons.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1566038743

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
Can somebody help me out here, I'm playing in Norway and we have a problem with the way we select our kings. No, not the usual assassination and warmongering problem. That's a given.

Norway is an Elective Aristocratic Kingdom, which as far as I understand it, should mean that the dukes vote who gets to be the next king when the current one bites it. My understanding could be severely off, I don't know how most of the things in this game function.

However, why in the everflying gently caress does the petty king of Island swim over here to vote for himself every time there's a king election? Who gives him a ballot and why don't the officials shank him on the shore when he comes to vote!? Nobody wants him, all the other electors think that the old fart is 'An encroaching foreign ruler: -500', which is a sentiment I strongly agree with!

Right now the votes are spread across different candidates, and this rotted shark chewing bastard is actually in the lead. If the king dies now, apparently this poo poo gets to moonwalk into the throne zone and spike his butt onto the highest seat in the land! Why!?

I do not understand the relationship between Norway and Island that seems to make this horrible reality possible. The only thing I could think of is repeatedly wage war on Island whenever I can, until it just doesn't exist anymore. The fucker can't vote if he has no land left, right? I can only hope that's the case. But this will take a while since there's a truce between every war, and all this time the rear end of Damocles is hovering over the throne of Norway. HELP!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

What Island? You mean Iceland? Is it a De Jure part of Norway? IIRC In Elective Systems De Jure Dukes get a vote even if they're not part of the nation.

pre:
Moved rename button.
Wait you can rename yourself?!

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Nov 16, 2018

zebez
Apr 27, 2008

Galaga Galaxian posted:

pre:
Moved rename button.
Wait you can rename yourself?!

No, but your kids.

The rename button was placed over the wikipedia button so I moved it just a bit.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

StoryTime posted:

Can somebody help me out here, I'm playing in Norway and we have a problem with the way we select our kings. No, not the usual assassination and warmongering problem. That's a given.

Norway is an Elective Aristocratic Kingdom, which as far as I understand it, should mean that the dukes vote who gets to be the next king when the current one bites it. My understanding could be severely off, I don't know how most of the things in this game function.

However, why in the everflying gently caress does the petty king of Island swim over here to vote for himself every time there's a king election? Who gives him a ballot and why don't the officials shank him on the shore when he comes to vote!? Nobody wants him, all the other electors think that the old fart is 'An encroaching foreign ruler: -500', which is a sentiment I strongly agree with!

Right now the votes are spread across different candidates, and this rotted shark chewing bastard is actually in the lead. If the king dies now, apparently this poo poo gets to moonwalk into the throne zone and spike his butt onto the highest seat in the land! Why!?

I do not understand the relationship between Norway and Island that seems to make this horrible reality possible. The only thing I could think of is repeatedly wage war on Island whenever I can, until it just doesn't exist anymore. The fucker can't vote if he has no land left, right? I can only hope that's the case. But this will take a while since there's a truce between every war, and all this time the rear end of Damocles is hovering over the throne of Norway. HELP!

Yes, Iceland is de jure (which means "by right") part of Norway, and so the duke if Iceland can vote for the next king of Norway. Luckily, since Iceland is de jure part of Norway, you have a caseus belli (i.e. an acceptable reason to wage war) on said duke. Conquer his provinces until Iceland is yours, then revoke his title. Problem solved!

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

StoryTime posted:

In an Elective kingdom, the votes belong to the holders of all of that kingdom's de jure duchies, regardless of whether those de jure duchies are currently vassals of the kingdom. Iceland is one of Norway's de jure duchies, so unless it de jure drifts out or the ducal title ceases to exist, its holder gets a vote. On the plus side, though, if he does manage to steal the throne, Iceland will become part of Norway and remain a vassal after you pry his dynasty back off the big throne.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Is there any way to tell what pagan religions have some of the reforms already baked into them ? I want to make sure I don't waste a slot on something a religion already has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
Ooooh. I was aware of 'De Jure' but my understanding was that it was just a thing that affected how the persons in the game thought about their control of land. Eg. they'd hate each other for owning stuff they thought 'should' belong to them. I wasn't aware that it actually affected game mechanics like this.

Shiny777 posted:

On the plus side, though, if he does manage to steal the throne, Iceland will become part of Norway and remain a vassal after you pry his dynasty back off the big throne.

Hmm... maybe I should let him land his stinky butt on the throne and then reversal suplex him right out, very interesting!

Thanks to both of you, I'm sure Norway will become a prosperous and peaceful land due to your input!