Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

misguided rage posted:

Dupes keep the stats they get from jobs they have mastered, so make everybody master the supply jobs to speed up hauling by a whole lot.

Just the first level of job takes their carrying capacity from 200kg base to 680kg.

They also retain their progress even if they haven’t mastered a job. So you can keep putting them on different jobs depending on your priorities at the time.

Wanna do lots of hauling fast? Make everyone a gofer for a cycle or two. It gets the job done fast, and they can go back to their previous professions afterwards and continue where they left off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I found this funky flower growing right next to my base which seems to be generating water :toot:

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

misguided rage posted:

Dupes keep the stats they get from jobs they have mastered, so make everybody master the supply jobs to speed up hauling by a whole lot.

Just the first level of job takes their carrying capacity from 200kg base to 680kg.

To expand on this, having everyone master the supply jobs after they master their priority jobs means they’ll have a lot more points in athletics as well. At the point I’ve trained everyone to be exosuit engineers they’ll all also have like 16-22 althetics, so that running on metal or plastic tile they are comparable in speed to plastic tubing.

Putting on an exosuit is a -6 to althetics unless trained in exosuit engineering, once mastered they keep the +6 offset and you can send them back to mining/ranching/whatever.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Nov 15, 2018

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Katt posted:

I found this funky flower growing right next to my base which seems to be generating water :toot:

Be careful with that funky flower as the water it produces is steam and will hurt your dupes if they stay near it. Also be careful with the water that condenses because that will also be around 70C and can hard your dupes.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Katt posted:

HOT water.

Don’t fees it to your plants or they will wilt.

You can use it for other stuff though, like research.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4kC4GgEjx8

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Mazz posted:

To expand on this, having everyone master the supply jobs after they master their priority jobs means they’ll have a lot more points in athletics as well.
And groundskeeping is strength (so carrying capacity), right?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

And groundskeeping is strength (so carrying capacity), right?

I think so, yeah. Gofer might actually be strength at first too but it ends up being a ton of althetics by exosuit level because of the constant supply/storage jobs.

The big thing is really the exosuit training though because it makes putting on exosuit a pure positive. They use the exact same amount of oxygen but exhale no CO2, have -100% bladder change per cycle, get +10 digging, and they are immune to all environment related stress. My standard plan is once I can afford it everyone puts on a suit as soon as they wake up and take a poo poo and don’t take it off till they come back to eat/sleep. I then try to cycle them into that training as quickly as possible. With proper decor usage, rooms, and mushroom farming +20 morale is not a problem.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Nov 15, 2018

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.

enraged_camel posted:

You can use it for other stuff though, like research.

Although you’ll want a scientist who’s prepared to work with a faceful of steam.

I told my researcher, it’s cool steam, it’s fine. She’s currently moaning pitifully in a Med-Bed. :smith:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I had a dupe gently caress up and dig out a block he was standing on causing him to fall into a pool around a "cool" steam vent. I tried to get the others to build a ladder to rescue him but in the end I watched him die slowly of scalding. It was actually kind of unsettling even with the cute art style.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

BattleMaster posted:

I had a dupe gently caress up and dig out a block he was standing on causing him to fall into a pool around a "cool" steam vent. I tried to get the others to build a ladder to rescue him but in the end I watched him die slowly of scalding. It was actually kind of unsettling even with the cute art style.

Time for sandbox mode! :smug:

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Diggin/deconstructing themselves into a corner and building a tile on their forehead are genuinely frustrating events that I frequently bust out sandbox mode to fix.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
My favorite is when they get "stuck" on a high ledge and refuse to jump down but if you dig out the ledge they fall harmlessly to the ground. Just jump, you wuss!

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

bird food bathtub posted:

Diggin/deconstructing themselves into a corner and building a tile on their forehead are genuinely frustrating events that I frequently bust out sandbox mode to fix.

It used to happen a LOT more frequently though. The AI has improved a lot on that aspect. You still need to micromanage large dig sites, but most problems of this type are now avoided by dupes.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Never thought of sandbox mode for that. I usually just savescum those problems.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

The cutesy art style definitely helps me think of these morons as endearingly stupid rather than aggravating

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Completely unrelated question.

How best to cool down your base? Skirting 50 celc here and the peasants are getting rowdy.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Katt posted:

Completely unrelated question.

How best to cool down your base? Skirting 50 celc here and the peasants are getting rowdy.

You’ll probably have some luck in the short term by setting a gas pump to take all your air and then run it through a cold biome for like, I don’t know, six loops of radiant pipe? And then right back to your base in insulated pipes to a vent a few tiles away from the pump.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

tuyop posted:

You’ll probably have some luck in the short term by setting a gas pump to take all your air and then run it through a cold biome for like, I don’t know, six loops of radiant pipe? And then right back to your base in insulated pipes to a vent a few tiles away from the pump.

How do I find a cold biome?

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Katt posted:

How do I find a cold biome?
Dig around and you'll run into one eventually. Zoom out (press alt-s to get rid of the interface, it lets you zoom out further), turn on the heat view overlay, and look for pockets of blue.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013
Some basics of heat management:

-Insulation and separation: Use insulated tiles and pipes to keep the heat out first and foremost. Don't put industrial buildings that generate heat near your farms
-Beware of fixed temperature outputs: these can be abused to cool things, but if you aren't aware of them they can cause massive overheating. The two main culprits are the water sieve and the electrolyser. The water sieve always outputs 40C water (generally too hot). The electrolyser I think is 70C oxygen/hydrogen.

If you need to cool things, early on you probably want a frost biome. There you can find wheezeworts which cool surrounding gases when planted in a flower pot. If it is an emergency you can dig up the ice and move it into your base, though you lose half the water in the ice by doing so. You can also find an anti-entropy-thermo-nullfier (AETN) in the frost biome, which acts as 6.67 wheezeworts when fed hydrogen.

If you are lucky you can find a cool slush geyser which spews -10C polluted water, which you can pipe through radiant pipes to cool your base. Don't rely on finding one in time, but they are nice if you do.

You can use the fixed temperature outputs in your favour; heat polluted water to above 40C and send it to the water sieve to cool it back to 40C. Very powerful late game methods for cooling are either venting very hot stuff to space or using the steam turbine(>300 wheezeworts of cooling), but these are far harder to setup.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
So how crazy an idea is the one I've been kicking around? I think I want to use the heat output of a gold volcano I have to heat up a small oven area, dump slime into it and bake it into dirt so I have a source of dirt for berries and, eventually, sleet wheat. I've managed a decent sized Puft farm fed by all the polluted oxygen coming off my polluted water reservoir so I have more slime than my mushrooms are using and I like the idea of long-term dirt income.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

So how crazy an idea is the one I've been kicking around? I think I want to use the heat output of a gold volcano I have to heat up a small oven area, dump slime into it and bake it into dirt so I have a source of dirt for berries and, eventually, sleet wheat. I've managed a decent sized Puft farm fed by all the polluted oxygen coming off my polluted water reservoir so I have more slime than my mushrooms are using and I like the idea of long-term dirt income.

The idea isn't bad but there are problems. Gold volcanoes put out the least heat of all volcanoes due to the incredibly low specific heat capacity of gold. You only need to heat the slime to 125C I think. If you heat the dirt too much it turns to sand. Automation can keep the cooking chamber in that range easily. If there any other volcanoes other than gold I recommend going for them though.

Edit: This assumes you are comfortable with automating things like mechanized airlocks to manage temperatures. You need a robominer to dig the resulting dirt tiles and an autosweeper to get the dirt out of there.

You can also use the fertilizer maker to make dirt from fertilizer you get from polluted water, I've done that once now. You bake it the same as the slime.

You will probably need to cool the dirt afterwards, as no plant wants 125C dirt.

Smiling Demon fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Nov 16, 2018

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
I'm feeling a little burnt out on my spergin' so I think I'm just gonna sit on this game till the next patch, but I figured I'd post up the seed I've been using since it's extremely good on placement of early game geysers.

There is an above average cool steam vent just outside the border of the starting zone to the bottom right, a gold and a copper volcano about 20-40 tiles away from the start to the left, another (poor) cool steam geyser 10 tiles from the gold volcano, a 2.12kg/s average cool slush geyser about 20 tiles right of that, and finally an AETN just beneath the cool slush geyser. You will have more water and refined metal than you have any idea what to do with by like cycle 50 or 100.

All of the geyers mentioned are visible in this picture. There is also a chlorine geyser just above and to the right of the rightmost steam.

On a side note I really like how this kind of singluar entity base layout was working out, but I'll probably restart on the seed and make some changes to it next time now I have a much better idea of my priorities/layouts/etc. It's run pretty flawlessly for 1000 cycles now but the restart bug is creeping up since I could definitely get more done in a shorter timeframe with a fresh start.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Nov 16, 2018

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I have a magma voclano but I honestly don't think I want to ever uncover it. Just sounds like a huge pain in the rear end. And I found out about the dirt to sand thing the hard way. I was trying to boil off polluted water and vent it to space then scoop up the dirt but it kept getting turned into sand, so doing it this way is basically the second version.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

I have a magma voclano but I honestly don't think I want to ever uncover it. Just sounds like a huge pain in the rear end. And I found out about the dirt to sand thing the hard way. I was trying to boil off polluted water and vent it to space then scoop up the dirt but it kept getting turned into sand, so doing it this way is basically the second version.

Magma volcanoes produce the most heat of all. Not uncovering it might be smart, it does take some effort to manage. And failures can be very very bad.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

is a single wheezewort in the upper level of a standard SPOM right next to the pump enough to suck in air so that i constantly get small packets of oxygen going through to my hydrogen generator? This is the SPOM that i use to fill my exosuits so i let out the 4 wheezeworts on the bottom.

Edit: I'm also interested in starting a pincha pepper farm. what's a good way to produce a decent amount of polluted water? i haven't quite gotten my natural gas power set up yet. right now I'm working on piping some in from a little reservoir i created/found in the swamp biome.

pakman fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Nov 16, 2018

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

pakman posted:

is a single wheezewort in the upper level of a standard SPOM right next to the pump enough to suck in air so that i constantly get small packets of oxygen going through to my hydrogen generator? This is the SPOM that i use to fill my exosuits so i let out the 4 wheezeworts on the bottom.

Edit: I'm also interested in starting a pincha pepper farm. what's a good way to produce a decent amount of polluted water? i haven't quite gotten my natural gas power set up yet. right now I'm working on piping some in from a little reservoir i created/found in the swamp biome.

Are you saying you want the oxygen to do so or you want to stop it? If the latter, that's a possible side effect of the normal SPOM setup, you can fix it by adding another tile to the hydrogen path supposedly. Wheezeworts dont use the air in the room in any meaningful way that they can be relied on stop it.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Nov 16, 2018

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Sorry, that was worded poorly. I have a standard SPOM bull with the exception that i don't have the 4 wheezeworts in the bottom left and it is an extra tile wide. On the top level, the gen is all the way to left, then a wheezewort next to the gen, and then the pump. The pump keeps picking up bits of O2 and damaging my generator. In my other SPOM I built that i supply base O2 with, I followed the standard design, and have never had the generator get damaged. I was wondering if the wheezewort I placed in the second SPOM moved enough gas to make it possible for the O2 to get into the hydrogen pump?

Edit: https://imgur.com/a/RM7XsyN

pakman fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Nov 16, 2018

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
It shouldn't since it doesn't affect how the hydrogen comes in aka through the right of the section instead of the extra space the wheezewort takes up on the left. Also nitpicky is you have it an extra tile high because of the doorway on the bottom. Did you run the pumps down to vacuum before starting the electrolyser? Because the hydrogen generator chamber could be harbouring O2 from before you got everything going.

Sage Grimm fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Nov 16, 2018

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

I ran it down to micrograms, and then pumped in nearly 900g/tile of H2, and replaced the airflow tiles under the generator and closed the doors. Both atmo sensors are set to above 600g which seems to work fine for me other one

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
It might be the hydrogen having too much room to move to the left? Not sure. Gasses are one of those things that don't always cooperate like they should, I had a 20g CO2 tile at the top of one of my SPOMS surrounded by 2k+ hydrogen tiles and it wouldn't move

This is the simple version of what I use with zero issues the last few games, seems pretty similar so I'm not sure exactly. My guess is maybe just too much room for gasses to adjust around each other, that just leads to them making dumb swaps occasionally. Basically 4 tiles above the electrolyzer vs 2 might be playing a role.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Nov 16, 2018

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Mazz posted:

It might be the hydrogen having too much room to move to the left? Not sure. Gasses are one of those things that don't always cooperate like they should, I had a 20g CO2 tile at the top of one of my SPOMS surrounded by 2k+ hydrogen tiles and it wouldn't move

This is the simple version of what I use with zero issues the last few games, seems pretty similar so I'm not sure exactly. My guess is maybe just too much room for gasses to adjust around each other, that just leads to them making dumb swaps occasionally. Basically 4 tiles above the electrolyzer vs 2 might be playing a role.

The design of that thing is... wrong. The cooling chamber needs to be sealed and insulated. Also you also don't need to spam tempshift plates like that.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
It works just fine, thanks. Do you want to see one that ran for 600 cycles and is 10C? I have plenty of screenshots of the daily reports from our last discussion # of dupes per electrolyzer to prove it. The granite tempshift plates are both cheap and move the cooling to the equipment so you don't need gold amalgam or risking they melt, and the temperature holds steady at 10C forever across the entire space. Its self regulating that way, and uses the excess hydrogen in the early cycles to fill the cooling area up with max pressure hydrogen. It makes ~510kg per cycle, or 18kg off 100% efficiency.

Actually the screenshots are still on Steam so here's the full version: Automated doors off a clock sensor so you can vacuum the whole space with ease, wheezeworts on top since I originally thought immediate volume of hydrogen affects cooling. It doesn't but the piping ends up more compact so I use it anyway.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Nov 16, 2018

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Mazz posted:

It works just fine, thanks. Do you want to see one that ran for 600 cycles and is 10C? The granite tempshift plates are both cheap move the cooling to the equipment so you don't need gold amalgam or risking they melt, and the temperature holds steady at 10C forever. Its self regulating that way. It makes 510kg per cycle, or 18kg off 100% efficiency. I have plenty of screenshots from our last discussion about them to prove it. 8 dupes per electrolyzer.

Yea, I don't get it at all. At least based on the screenshot, your wheezeworts seem to be in a vacuum, which means they won't be doing any cooling.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
There’s a vent in the wheezewort room, I assume from the hydrogen pump.

pakman posted:

I ran it down to micrograms, and then pumped in nearly 900g/tile of H2, and replaced the airflow tiles under the generator and closed the doors. Both atmo sensors are set to above 600g which seems to work fine for me other one
I’m guessing the bolded part is the problem. Try setting the hydrogen atmo sensor higher than the oxygen one. Like maybe above 800 or 900. Higher pressure at the top will keep oxygen from rising.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Mazz, maybe we're talking past each other, but that's a totally different design than the one you originally linked.

I don't get how this one would work:

I get how this one would:

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

enraged_camel posted:

Mazz, maybe we're talking past each other, but that's a totally different design than the one you originally linked.

I don't get how this one would work:

I get how this one would:

It's the same design just swapped around and refined a bit. You can't see the hydrogen in the first one but its one from top to bottom space that fills itself off the electrolyzers early input. Look around the bottom of the plants. When you open the game at first the vents aren't overpressurized and the outlets aren't working. It's just that. The idea is the same thing just reversed in the second, with some added features. The doors are barred from use once its running, its just to make construction/sweeping easier

Here is the second one in piping so you can see how it works. The generator/wheeze space is automatically filled by the first hydrogen output, you run a manual for an extra cycle to do that. Afterwards it builds up reserve hydrogen for both generators using bridge priority before shipping the excess off to a storage tank. This makes sure the gas around the electrolyzer is never overpressurized and pushes the efficiency up above 98% so long as the pipes aren't blocked without ever starving the generators as the tank line isnt used until those lines are topped off. The whole space will stay between 10-15C because the tempshifts pull the heat off the electrolyzer but keep it cold as well.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Nov 16, 2018

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

enraged_camel posted:

Yea, I don't get it at all. At least based on the screenshot, your wheezeworts seem to be in a vacuum, which means they won't be doing any cooling.

You can't see gases in front of tempshift plates. There is presumably hydrogen there, but you can't see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Smiling Demon posted:

You can't see gases in front of tempshift plates. There is presumably hydrogen there, but you can't see it.

Ah yeah, that was it.