Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Charlie Bobson posted:

Imagine if DmC had 2000s pop punk music instead of dubstep

It might actually be the best game of all time

it would not because it's still pretty gross even by videogames' rock-bottom standards but a lack of dubstep would be a significant improvement.

Kay Kessler posted:

Also Woolie is bad enough at figuring out (and remembering) elemental weaknesses in Persona. Adding the Weapon Triangle and flyers being weak to bows and his brain just breaks.

to be entirely fair to Woolie here, persona weakness charting is deliberately designed to be loving horseshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
TMS had some pretty good jokes right at the start, but it's a long-rear end RPG so I dropped out of it as soon as I got like, seven episodes behind.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Monathin posted:

it would not because it's still pretty gross even by videogames' rock-bottom standards but a lack of dubstep would be a significant improvement.

to be entirely fair to Woolie here, persona weakness charting is deliberately designed to be loving horseshit

On the Personas themselves, yeah, but the enemies are usually pretty straightforward. Is it on fire? Weak to ice, immune to fire. Does it have wings? Use guns but not wind. Is it a plant? Fire. And in TMS it's even simpler. Woolie has trouble grasping even those concepts.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Monathin posted:

You might have a point if he wasn't coming off of p5.

It took like at least 30 episodes before the game actually shows the turn order.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Kay Kessler posted:

On the Personas themselves, yeah, but the enemies are usually pretty straightforward. Is it on fire? Weak to ice, immune to fire. Does it have wings? Use guns but not wind. Is it a plant? Fire. And in TMS it's even simpler. Woolie has trouble grasping even those concepts.

This has not really been the case in my experience. And there's a lot of enemies in which the weaknesses are hilariously nonstandard, because Persona is a fucker of a game like that. There are some obvious ones but they are definitely dwarfed by the sheer number of "I don't have a loving clue, just chuck a bunch of poo poo at it until I find the one that hits a weakness."

Tae posted:

Ehh. I don't think it really gets easier.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
If you were messing with the press turn system of SMT, I'd maybe understand finding the weakness system in Megaten more obtuse. That being said, Persona rewards you the world and doesn't punish you for hitting resistances with the exception of Reflect based ones so you are encouraged to do nothing other than experiment and when you find out weaknesses you can just look at them again, it is so simple and easy to understand and what I have played of TMS it seemed just as simple and easy to understand.

Also literally all of the flying enemies are weak to guns with very few exceptions and I think there's only one enemy in P5 who flies and is not weak to guns. Rules on weaknesses generally transfer from enemy to enemy or game to game more often than not with the weird exceptions like some of the other spinoff games.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Matt's really gotta learn to move and be aggressive in KH, he shouldn't be losing to fuckin' Wakka

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Burkion posted:

Matt's really gotta learn to move and be aggressive in KH, he shouldn't be losing to fuckin' Wakka

He seemed to think the whole thing in that fight was knocking the ball back, rather than getting in his face and beating him down.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Burkion posted:

It seems like he thought you were just supposed to knock the ball back. I think it took him a while to realise was an actual fight.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh poo poo, I just remembered the Oogie Boogie roulette boss, that's gonna be fun

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Man I want them to fight the super boss and be shocked not only because it plays like no other boss in game, but it also predicted Disney buying stars war.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

MonsterEnvy posted:

He seemed to think the whole thing in that fight was knocking the ball back, rather than getting in his face and beating him down.

That's how you actually want to do it though, in order to grind out all those tech points :confused:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Yardbomb posted:

Remember the big oopsie when they intentionally or not (They've tried to run back their story with it like twice) went with the "Old Dante was GAY (And that's bad)" strategy?

Feel like this is missing the context of the actually lead up to that picture being "Capcom told us to imagine Dante in a western movie" and was paired with this

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Still weird to me how DmC made such a big thing of trying to divorce itself from the original Devil May Cry brand and aside from a few aesthetic beats its only actual strengths were the areas in which it hewed closest to the original franchise's design

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The weirdest part is thinking DMC needed a reboot at all when it had been selling millions despite being in a niche genre and having to rebound from DMC2.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Motto posted:

The weirdest part is thinking DMC needed a reboot at all when it had been selling millions despite being in a niche genre and having to rebound from DMC2.

It's a combination of DMC4 troubled development, Capcom expecting Call of Duty numbers, and Itsuno being busy with his passion project Dragon's Dogma and not wanting to work on another DMC game.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Spiritus Nox posted:

Still weird to me how DmC made such a big thing of trying to divorce itself from the original Devil May Cry brand and aside from a few aesthetic beats its only actual strengths were the areas in which it hewed closest to the original franchise's design

All the parts people like were heavily revised or coached by Itsuno and co, essentially.

Ninja Theory was a strange choice of developer to begin with... I mean, if I had to tap a western studio to make a DMC game back then I have no idea who I'd pick, but Heavenly Sword was their only game of note at the time and that game, while being a straightforward action game, could not have been more different to DMC.

Then again, they were an Inafune pick, and he also picked the studio that hosed up Lost Planet 3 and then picked them again as an indie to make Yaiba, the bad western Ninja Gaiden game.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Tae posted:

It took like at least 30 episodes before the game actually shows the turn order.

In retrospect I feel like we really dodged a bullet on the P5 LP.

Did Atlus ever actually try to enforce that bullshit 'no LPs' rule?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

TexMexFoodbaby posted:

Man I want them to fight the super boss and be shocked not only because it plays like no other boss in game, but it also predicted Disney buying stars war.

The thing people forget because of Xemnas is that all the other bonus bosses are also loving bullshit.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Then of course there's KH2FM, where instead of one new bonus boss, it's like loving 30.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

In retrospect I feel like we really dodged a bullet on the P5 LP.

Did Atlus ever actually try to enforce that bullshit 'no LPs' rule?

No.

Though I still would have enjoyed that LP despite the likely slowness.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Yusuke and Shido suck

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

RareAcumen posted:

Yusuke and Shido suck

Yusuke is fun. Shido is awful no doubt but he is supposed to be.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
So is this gonna be exclusively KH 1 or are they road to wreslemaina'ing this?

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Nov 16, 2018

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

ConanThe3rd posted:

In my books, the ideal is 1, 2, and nothing else. Matt insisting it's fine.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
Whats the correct play order?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Depths posted:

Whats the correct play order?

Without knowing anything about kingdom hearts:

Release order

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Andrast posted:

Without knowing anything about kingdom hearts:

Release order

Honestly, that's probably pretty accurate because there're supposed to be some of them that're really good but then they don't go back to that stuff ever again. I heard people really liked Birth By Sleep a lot? The one with Terra, Ventus and Aqua. And the whole Drive Forms thing doesn't come back after 2 as far as I know.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It is absolutely release order

RareAcumen posted:

Honestly, that's probably pretty accurate because there're supposed to be some of them that're really good but then they don't go back to that stuff ever again. I heard people really liked Birth By Sleep a lot? The one with Terra, Ventus and Aqua. And the whole Drive Forms thing doesn't come back after 2 as far as I know.

BBS has issues but is a fun game, 2 is the one everyone likes

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Captain Baal posted:

BBS has issues but is a fun game, 2 is the one everyone likes

Maybe BBS has the best combat? I swear there was some aspect to it that people put above all of the other ones in the series.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Bbs introduced a more involved combat combo system.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Playing it in chronological order probably just makes poo poo even more confusing.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Release order at least introduces concepts as they become relevant if only because it's just the order the developers thought up these concepts. Chronological order would treat a new concept like it was always there don't question it, then drop it completely for a while, then actually re-introduce and explain it.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

ConanThe3rd posted:

Both options are on the table. They mentioned in the podcast how DMC turned into a 5-lp series, so they'll see what happens here.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

RareAcumen posted:

Yusuke and Shido suck

Yusuke's fine after his initial weirdo episode and Shido's a cool antagonist, his english VA was perfect and his fight was pretty kickass.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

I couldn't take Shido seriously because I kept waiting for him to ask me if I've ever been to the Cloud District.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Wiseblood posted:

I couldn't take Shido seriously because I kept waiting for him to ask me if I've ever been to the Cloud District.

And I just heard Hawk Moth, but that actually works out well enough :v:

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
out of the kh games ive played (the only plot necessary ones)

1 is fun for being an early 2000s action rpg. It has better combat than pretty much all of its contemporaries and a good few modern releases but still has some classic jank. Definitely worth a play.

Chain of memories is fun but weird (and is when the plot goes insane) and generally just a retread of Kingdom Hearts 1 disney wise. It's more impressive as a GBA game than a ps2 one (I havent actually finished this one so take this with a grain of salt.)

2 is legitimately one of the best action games ever in my opinion. The game is a real challenge on Critical, and is great at encouraging you to use all of the tools at your disposal, and generally just feels great to play. It owns bones and everyone should play it.

Birth By Sleep is a good fun button masher. It's not as good as KH2 on higher difficulties but it feels nice and looks cool.

Dream Drop Distance is Birth By Sleep but slightly worse. It's still good and fun but there's some weird gameplay decisions and balancing stuff present that's even worse than BBS which is mostly compensated for by a cool parkour system and there's also pokemon raising that is either a plus or a minus for people. I dig it but it's not for everyone. Also I haven't played this game in a while but holy poo poo it was hard as hell playing it on release.

Playing all of them that are present in the 1.5 + 2.5 release isn't a bad decision at all if you like action games. The plot's dumb but in a fun way and can be pretty easily followed beat to beat. It's just the wider picture that's completely incomprehensible.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, that's a good way to put it. Trying to explain the overall plot and worldbuilding of KH is a mind-melting nightmare at this point, but when you're actually playing the game or watching an LP or experiencing the game itself in whatever way, going from beat to beat usually *basically* works if you're willing to just not think too hard about *why* anything works the way it does and can just go "okay cool why not" when appropriate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
I remember some youtuber(dunkey maybe?) a few months ago making a recap of the entire story and chronology of the series and it genuinely sounded like a joke until people started going "yeah, this is mostly correct"