Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Galvanik posted:

It was a good comic but it was to relentlessly negative for me to enjoy or even like reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
One thing that ticks me off about pfsc not being online anymore is that people keep reposting this sequence as an own to nerds but always leave off the last strips that show the character was actually talking about himself and having a breakdown over dying and being a nobody in life

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
also largely obsolete now that the concept of the singularity has been superseded by imminent climate apocalypse

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

think of it less like an apocalypse and more like mother earth taking care of that pesky human problem, much like when your own body gets warmer while sick to help kill the germs

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

My favorite PFSC is still:

It's not negative or depressing (well not from the usual perspective, anyway) and is even a little bit uplifting.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

uplifting pfsc? okay

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I have the (first?) book, and thanks to this thread I reread it tonight instead of what I was planning on doing.

It's definitely good. Makes you want to say "gently caress it" in a way that dissolves some anxieties at the same time as it reinforces others.

Book ends before the later stuff, like the one AriadneThread just posted. I remember a lot of the best strips were from that era, which is too bad for me.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I wasn't being ironic when I said pfsc was the most beautiful webcomic ever, I never thought of it as negative at all. It was sad, I guess, but that's like the point?

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

ChairMaster posted:

I wasn't being ironic when I said pfsc was the most beautiful webcomic ever, I never thought of it as negative at all. It was sad, I guess, but that's like the point?

i always found it sad but like, in a cathartic way, rather then sad in like, a world news way

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

AriadneThread posted:

i always found it sad but like, in a cathartic way, rather then sad in like, a world news way
Hard agree.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Why are we talking about PFSC a bunch, did the Artist Formerly Known As John Campbell do something crazy recently? It doesn't even have demons in it, what is this thread becoming.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

TwoPair posted:

Why are we talking about PFSC a bunch, did the Artist Formerly Known As John Campbell do something crazy recently? It doesn't even have demons in it, what is this thread becoming.

What are you talking about? It has a lot of inner demons, it's a perfect fit.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im gonnna webcomic

itw gonna be great

im going to bring vack the sprite comic but w ascii roguelikes

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Tollymain posted:

im gonnna webcomic

itw gonna be great

im going to bring vack the sprite comic but w ascii roguelikes
Sounds like a Dud.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

it's too bad about the former John Campbell's brain badness, because they made some really cool stuff.

I often think about this one

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

relevant

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I just remembered Basic Income Please started Hourly Comics day. Man, webcomics history, right?

And if anyone wants to read the entire screed, it's still here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/73258510/sad-pictures-for-children/posts/759318

Honestly part of me thinks this is just someone who believes a lot of what I think I do, having the courage of their convictions. Which is a harrowing thought. I can't completely dismiss it though. That same part of me respects B.I.P. for that whole series of events. Thinks she's right.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Nov 16, 2018

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
imo a psychotic episode is entirely the appropriate way to respond to this world we live in

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

He was ahead of the curve and right.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

God, that was almost five years ago now.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
neurotic breakdown early adopter

incredible flesh
Oct 6, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
i am loving the pfsc chat friends, it's one of my all-time favourites, and i'm so glad so many of you saved strips so it's not lost forever. also in a strange way i respect jc for flaming out so beautifully in full view of the online public (they really did lose it very poetically, i mean, the rants, the dead wasps) and hope they're doing okay out there, wherever/whoever they are

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Sometimes, generally without anything in particular reminding me of it, I think about the line "the muzzle of his man-gun is all rotted up like an old vegetable"

Anyway this one is one of my favs

pfsc captured a lot of things well

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Nov 16, 2018

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

God loving drat, that one.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Ditocoaf posted:

I just remembered Basic Income Please started Hourly Comics day. Man, webcomics history, right?

And if anyone wants to read the entire screed, it's still here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/73258510/sad-pictures-for-children/posts/759318

Honestly part of me thinks this is just someone who believes a lot of what I think I do, having the courage of their convictions. Which is a harrowing thought. I can't completely dismiss it though. That same part of me respects B.I.P. for that whole series of events. Thinks she's right.

When I first read her post-kickstarter thoughts I sympathized with more of them than I do now. (I mean politically, I still feel bad for what she went through) I still 100% agree that capitalism sucks and participating in it grinds down your soul, but you don't defeat it by withdrawing from it like she ultimately did after that period. Too many people do not have the option to just cut themselves away from it, even if a handful can. The only way to really destroy capitalism to fight against it politically.

Kurvi Tasch
Oct 13, 2012

Thats von Derp for you!

Elysiume posted:

Anyway this one is one of my favs

I've got the T-shirt for this one (it shows just the graph) and an inordinate number of people who've seen me wear it thought it was meant to be a burn on XKCD.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

TwoPair posted:

Why the Formerly Known As bit?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

The creator of PFSC first asked not to be addressed as John Campbell, then asked to be addressed only as Basic Income Please.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
There are some general indicators that they've transitioned, but I forget what they were and they shredded their internet presence so it's hard to get confirmation or to find out what their proper name is.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Ditocoaf posted:

You may sympathize with wanting a sugar daddy but far more courageous people go looking for one on Tinder every day without caching it behind some vague handwaving about how this is noble activism against the prison-industrial complex.

It is understandable that someone undergoing a psychotic break is not going to be an excellent person with great ideas in the moment, that doesn't make them a bad person generally and I hope they're doing better now, but the extent to which anything Campbell was saying or doing to those around them at that time seems aspirational to you is the extent to which you should seriously reevaluate the merits of your beliefs.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Nov 16, 2018

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

[Lowtax voice]: For everyone who asks about an SAMart purchase, I will delete one thread.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I found the thing they said where they were like, "when I told Kickstarter backers my story and why I needed the money, I sold a lot of original art, and when I sold it without the story on Twitter, barely any - so the market value of my art changed based on whether I was willing to share my personal life with strangers," pretty compelling. It's true, and it's not even necessarily a bad thing, but it's definitely a little discomfiting when you think about it like that.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Who would have guessed that people prefer to give money to folks who need it and they can empathize with? You ask me, I'd honestly call it a good thing.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I mean, if you're an independent artist you have to go out there and get your public. I frequent a - now mostly dead - Discord Channel of Indie Comic Book people and there were a lot of chats over how they could get their works to reach more people, their own websites, which social media, which cons, etc.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Samuringa posted:

One thing that ticks me off about pfsc not being online anymore is that people keep reposting this sequence as an own to nerds but always leave off the last strips that show the character was actually talking about himself and having a breakdown over dying and being a nobody in life

Realizing that I grew into this comic was like realizing that I grew into being my father

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rand Brittain posted:

There are some general indicators that they've transitioned, but I forget what they were and they shredded their internet presence so it's hard to get confirmation or to find out what their proper name is.

They transitioned but it was in the brief period before they totally abandoned the internet after the kickstarter threshold so a lot of people missed it.

A very similar thing happened to Kat and MonsterKillers which was also extremely good and reminds me that it has never ever been easy to be depressed and trans.

A Gnarlacious Bro fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Nov 16, 2018

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

AriadneThread posted:

uplifting pfsc? okay

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

PMush Perfect posted:

Who would have guessed that people prefer to give money to folks who need it and they can empathize with? You ask me, I'd honestly call it a good thing.

Samuringa posted:

I mean, if you're an independent artist you have to go out there and get your public. I frequent a - now mostly dead - Discord Channel of Indie Comic Book people and there were a lot of chats over how they could get their works to reach more people, their own websites, which social media, which cons, etc.

Right, but if you consider it from the perspective of a stressed out artist (who is in fact making genuinely good stuff), it probably feels pretty dehumanising that your work sells bigger when you bare your soul and expose your personal life to a bunch of people you don't know. Like, the hope when you're creating something is that the art should stand on its own merits, and now you know it doesn't and you need to provide a public sideshow to help it sell.

Like I say, it's a good thing that people are more willing to give when they see that someone's in need, but from the perspective of a depressed artist it probably doesn't feel great that they have to expose their inner life like that to get their work moving. Especially when it's legitimately good work (which PFSC is), and they know it's good. Your inner picture of artistic success on the project you're spending your life on probably doesn't include begging people to buy your work so you can cover costs.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Okay, fair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Your work sells even better if you make it be about Rick and Morty or a fetish so tying any personal ego to the idea the quality of your work is measured by its market value is a great recipe for becoming a depressed artist, yet Campbell's stuff was moving exceptionally well for a self-employed artist who doesn't know any billionaires well before they started posting those updates. Literally every indie comics and small press person has sold more poo poo on Kickstarter than on fuckin Twitter, one's a marketplace for buyers seeking smalltime craftspeople that transformed cottage industry and one's a forum for Nazis to shitpost.

Campbell's problem was they were neither experienced in managing a business no matter how popular nor neurochemically equipped to not zero in on the most negative possible interpretation of anything that was happening to them regardless of external circumstances, not that they were actually one of those leukemia kids forced to perform their misery to an audience on GoFundMe if they wanna live. They were a shrink and an accountant away from being a successful and beloved professional artist.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Nov 18, 2018