Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Yeah also sorry if that initial response was snappy as gently caress, I edited it to be less so middle of your response. This game has been kind of frying my brain thinking/playing/posting about it so much. Definite part of why I'm taking a break from it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
all good, im taking a break too for that reason

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

In my last colony (rip) I made a temporary pit for all the waste water. Incidentally a bunch of toxic gasses leaked into it and it became a poison piss pit. Realising it was too small for the task I sent dupes to making it bigger but it was a slow affair :v:

Katt fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Nov 16, 2018

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Katt posted:

In my last colony (rip) I made a temporary pit for all the waste water. Incidentally a bunch of toxic gasses leaked into it and it became a poison piss pit. Realising it was too small for the task I sent dupes to making it bigger but it was a slow affair :v:

Got to love a poison piss pit. Key part of any base.

Couple of tips if you want them.

1) Water is heavy, if you don't build tiles for the edges and rely on terrain make sure you have 3+ tiles of standard terrain on all sides or the water will break them and get everywhere once it starts building up.

2) The poison gas isn't actually that bad. But you can turn it into awesome oxygen pretty easily. In the research there is something like decontamination and that lets you build Deodorizers which are really cheap and use a bit of sand to make that gas into pure oxygen.

3) I see you have a bunch of algae terrariums. I don't want to spoil the fun of experimenting but standard logic is to not really use them much and jump straight into the powered Algae Oxidisers. One will support 5 dupes without problem.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Got to love a poison piss pit. Key part of any base.

Couple of tips if you want them.

1) Water is heavy, if you don't build tiles for the edges and rely on terrain make sure you have 3+ tiles of standard terrain on all sides or the water will break them and get everywhere once it starts building up.

2) The poison gas isn't actually that bad. But you can turn it into awesome oxygen pretty easily. In the research there is something like decontamination and that lets you build Deodorizers which are really cheap and use a bit of sand to make that gas into pure oxygen.

3) I see you have a bunch of algae terrariums. I don't want to spoil the fun of experimenting but standard logic is to not really use them much and jump straight into the powered Algae Oxidisers. One will support 5 dupes without problem.

Yeah that was a long time ago so lessors learned.

What's the best way to get rid of carbon dioxide? I know there are carbon skimmers and Algae terrariums. Which of them get rid of the most CO2 for the least water used?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Skimmers

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Katt posted:

Yeah that was a long time ago so lessors learned.

What's the best way to get rid of carbon dioxide? I know there are carbon skimmers and Algae terrariums. Which of them get rid of the most CO2 for the least water used?

Digging giant holes

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Feeding it to slicksters.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

Sillybones posted:

Feeding it to slicksters.

Yep. This can actually create water in the end. CO2 > Slicksters > Crude Oil > Petroleum > Petroleum generator > CO2 and polluted water.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Yeah I found just trapping it somewhere and using it later to be my preferred method. Slicksters will eat up a lot even Wild. I like to try to set all the creation sources up in one vertical area so as few pumps at the bottom can handle it all as efficiently as I can make it. Another reason I like everyone in atmo suits, they don’t exhale at all so ai know exactly where my CO2 is coming from. Big holes work pretty well to corral it too.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Nov 16, 2018

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

I'm pretty sure I hosed myself on my latest plan. The idea was to use the slush geyser water and pump it into a water tank that I'm using to feed my SPOM's.

Basically water pump in slush geyser catch area > water sieve > wolframite water tank in a cold (-30c) area > insulated pipes that run back to my base and drain into a fresh water basin that feeds SPOMs.

The issue is that the wolframite doesn't seem to be cooling the water as much as I like it to be. Do I need to limit the amount contained? Should I do some runs of radiant pipe loops between the sieve and tank? Should I figure out a different use for the slush geyser?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

JayKay posted:

I'm pretty sure I hosed myself on my latest plan. The idea was to use the slush geyser water and pump it into a water tank that I'm using to feed my SPOM's.

Basically water pump in slush geyser catch area > water sieve > wolframite water tank in a cold (-30c) area > insulated pipes that run back to my base and drain into a fresh water basin that feeds SPOMs.

The issue is that the wolframite doesn't seem to be cooling the water as much as I like it to be. Do I need to limit the amount contained? Should I do some runs of radiant pipe loops between the sieve and tank? Should I figure out a different use for the slush geyser?

You’re taking cold water and making it hot, then trying to make it cold again, which is counterproductive IMO. Wind the cold polluted water pipe around your base for cooling before the sieve near the SPOM. The sieve always outputs water at 40C, and more importantly the water temperature pumped into an electrolyzer is irrelevant to the output temp, the output oxygen is always 70C (IIRC). Just insulate the pipe from the sieve to the electrolyzer as that pipe will be hot and radiates a lot heat otherwise. Adding any sort of tank in the middle is just another pump to power.

Add an early valve at 1000 g/s (per electrolyzer) and the pipe should never back up much at all if your electrolyzer is running smoothly, this ensures the cooling of the PW pipe stays good. If you want to supply a water tank as well, just add a relief bridge to the insulated line after the sieve.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Nov 16, 2018

Qubee
May 31, 2013

the amount of headache and hassle i've saved myself by testing stuff out in sandbox mode before implementing it in survival, god drat.

a huge hassle of this game came when you spent 30 minutes on some project, only for it to keel over and poo poo itself the second you finish it. testing in sandbox takes a couple of mins and saves you so much suffering. would highly recommend, 10/10

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
Hey everyone, want some tips on killing your entire colony? Check this one out:

Step 1) Have a copper volcano somewhere.
Step 2) After 300 cycles, decide you should take your stockpile of 2000kg of copper and turn your base floors into metal tiles. It increases dupe run speed and efficiency, don't you know?
Step 3) Walk away for 10 minutes and make dinner <== This step is the most important one
Step 4) Return to find you've converted your base into a life and death game of "The Floor is Lava" and your dupes are all dying inside their own base because you never cooled off copper at 150C.

On an unrelated note, dripping oil onto an AETN and letting it pool below is a far more effective cooling method. I managed to drop 70C oil down to -10C in just a few cycles, then pumped that around my base to cool it off. I now have a nice cool / dump / reload cycle for my base that I'll probably automate at some point.

I also think I'm going to try busting into sleet wheat farming. But right now, they take water that I'm going to try and cool, but I might use this cold oil to chill the sleet wheat.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

JayKay posted:

One important trick in ONI is learning which buildings output relative temps, and which output set temps. Then abusing that knowledge.

Rlectrolyzers and Water Sieves do indeed output temperatures at fixed numbers. 70C and 40C respectively. Which means you should never, ever put liquid into them that is colder than that. Delete heat whenever possible.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

User0015 posted:

Step 2) After 300 cycles, decide you should take your stockpile of 2000kg of copper and turn your base floors into metal tiles. It increases dupe run speed and efficiency, don't you know?
Step 3) Walk away for 10 minutes and make dinner <== This step is the most important one
Step 4) Return to find you've converted your base into a life and death game of "The Floor is Lava" and your dupes are all dying inside their own base because you never cooled off copper at 150C.

On an unrelated note, dripping oil onto an AETN and letting it pool below is a far more effective cooling method. I managed to drop 70C oil down to -10C in just a few cycles, then pumped that around my base to cool it off. I now have a nice cool / dump / reload cycle for my base that I'll probably automate at some point.

I also think I'm going to try busting into sleet wheat farming. But right now, they take water that I'm going to try and cool, but I might use this cold oil to chill the sleet wheat.

Nice

I thought about something similar for my farm, if the water is coming in insulated and the oil is passing by directly behind the plant itself, the cooling should outpace the heating, or at least average into something good. For sleet wheat you might need to get the oil way down in temperature for it to work though, maybe cycled through the drip AETN multiple times first? Either that or cool the water in a pool near the same AETN using one of those methods. A setup that ignores the water temp though could be pretty neat.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Nov 16, 2018

insta
Jan 28, 2009

User0015 posted:

The metal floor tiles should have clamped at 45C when building. Did you store copper in compactors?

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

insta posted:

The metal floor tiles should have clamped at 45C when building. Did you store copper in compactors?

I did not. I would test that tiles clamp to a temperature though. My tiles were at 150C after being built. Dupes were literally dying on top of them

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Checking out some video guides for this game but they all seem to start with "make closed loop circuit of water/Gas/etc that outputs more than you put in"

Like it seems that 80% of making a base work in this game requires exploits like dupes washing their hands and showering in water that contains like 1 million germs per drop from being circulated a thousand times but still gets them clean at no penalty.

On the other hand if you want to run all of that on clean water then you're going to exhaust your starting sources of water very quickly and you need to find a cold steam vent and a cold biome soon. It's as if the game itself was made around people using these exploits.

Feels like it would have made more sense if pockets of clean water were more common as you explore and these exploits were just fixed.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
People were making cold water long before cool steam vents and you can still make cold water by running pipes through the ice biome or dropping ice into your water. And I don't know where game mechanic stops and exploits start. I mean there are clearly some things that probably aren't going to be in 1.0 like refrigerators running in carbon dioxide and not needing power to cool, or maybe even water locks (although with the soggy debuff those aren't the auto-include they used to be). But at some point the game has to deviate from physics as studied in order for it to be playable.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Mazz posted:

You’re taking cold water and making it hot, then trying to make it cold again, which is counterproductive IMO. Wind the cold polluted water pipe around your base for cooling before the sieve near the SPOM. The sieve always outputs water at 40C, and more importantly the water temperature pumped into an electrolyzer is irrelevant to the output temp, the output oxygen is always 70C (IIRC). Just insulate the pipe from the sieve to the electrolyzer as that pipe will be hot and radiates a lot heat otherwise. Adding any sort of tank in the middle is just another pump to power.

Add an early valve at 1000 g/s (per electrolyzer) and the pipe should never back up much at all if your electrolyzer is running smoothly, this ensures the cooling of the PW pipe stays good. If you want to supply a water tank as well, just add a relief bridge to the insulated line after the sieve.

Am I over-complicating things or the reverse with my current SPOM-ish(supplemented by central power if needed) setup? I have a larger initial electrolyzer room that most of the ones pictured, however I have my wheezeworts in there. The pumps are at the top(to only pull gas after it runs thru the worts) and reliably outputs 17.4 degree hydrogen and oxygen to anywhere it's needed in my base. The O2 gets sent to my base via insulated pipes and outputs where ever needed at roughly that temp. Currently my base is sitting at a comfy 24 degrees.

I do run a Dewar flask-esque double insulated tile wall with a near vacuum buffer between as well. Insulated tiles have slow heat transfer, but vacuum just can't transfer heat period after all. Maybe I am over-engineering my heat management, but it seems to be working well.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Retro42 posted:

Am I over-complicating things or the reverse with my current SPOM-ish(supplemented by central power if needed) setup? I have a larger initial electrolyzer room that most of the ones pictured, however I have my wheezeworts in there. The pumps are at the top(to only pull gas after it runs thru the worts) and reliably outputs 17.4 degree hydrogen and oxygen to anywhere it's needed in my base. The O2 gets sent to my base via insulated pipes and outputs where ever needed at roughly that temp. Currently my base is sitting at a comfy 24 degrees.

I do run a Dewar flask-esque double insulated tile wall with a near vacuum buffer between as well. Insulated tiles have slow heat transfer, but vacuum just can't transfer heat period after all. Maybe I am over-engineering my heat management, but it seems to be working well.

First of all, don’t let anyone tell you there is a right and wrong way to do things. The whole point of the game is to get creative and make solutions that work. If the oxygen and hydrogen are coming out cold and consistent, then you’re gravy. You can probably optimize but there’s always time for that later.

You didn’t post a screenshot but the basic comment was that you were taking cold water, making it hot clean water, pumping it again to try and get it cold, then storing it only to pump it again. My advice was leave the cold polluted water as it is, pipe that around for as long as you need cooling, then sieve it at the very end. Basically you can simplify the poo poo out of the process and better utilize the passive cold production of the water geyser at the same time. I’ll be home in a bit and I’ll draw up a little screenshot to explain it better.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Nov 16, 2018

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

^^^^^ Yes, use that cold to your advantage. Cold things become very important later on, so heat that water up by absorbing ambient heat into it. If you feel weird about deleting the heat because it feels like an exploit, vent it into space.

Katt posted:

Checking out some video guides for this game but they all seem to start with "make closed loop circuit of water/Gas/etc that outputs more than you put in"

Like it seems that 80% of making a base work in this game requires exploits like dupes washing their hands and showering in water that contains like 1 million germs per drop from being circulated a thousand times but still gets them clean at no penalty.

On the other hand if you want to run all of that on clean water then you're going to exhaust your starting sources of water very quickly and you need to find a cold steam vent and a cold biome soon. It's as if the game itself was made around people using these exploits.

Feels like it would have made more sense if pockets of clean water were more common as you explore and these exploits were just fixed.

As far as "Get more water out than you put in", I think the idea is that dupes are moving water from the food they eat back into the system, where any loss is them burning kcals (i.e. heat). So it's not really as exploity as it appears.

Washing/Showering in germ water is questionable, but keep in mind two things: It seems intentional Water Sieves output at a set temperature for gameplay purposes, and sieving water should probably clean it in the first place since that's a real world way of cleaning contaminated water (water molecules atomically are a magnitude smaller than germs and bacteria, so sieving water through a fine enough mesh produces bacteria free water).

You also can find fresh, clean water outside the starting biome. It's called ice, and it's exactly how I deal with keeping my cold water source in supply. In fact, I just dumped 60T of ice into my water reservoir at cycle 200.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Retro42 posted:

If it works, then cool (hah!). But to maybe explain other peoples' thinking, one of the big parts of a SPOM for many people (not me) is the SP part — self powered. Your setup sounds like it needs a gas filter in it, which as I remember puts the total power drain to above what a hydrogen generator can produce, so it’s not self powered.

Some people find that important, some don’t.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Ran into a weird issue. My whole lower base is flooded with CO2. So I put a carbon skimmer at the bottom.

Except it doesn't work because the CO2 is under extremely low pressure (in the milligrams in some places. How do I drain away all this CO2? Digging deeper just eases the pressure.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Katt posted:

Ran into a weird issue. My whole lower base is flooded with CO2. So I put a carbon skimmer at the bottom.

Except it doesn't work because the CO2 is under extremely low pressure (in the milligrams in some places. How do I drain away all this CO2? Digging deeper just eases the pressure.

Is it a sealed section? It could just be low pressure because there isn't any other gases in there. Or if it isn't sealed it could possibly "sealed" via a water lock or small passage that isn't moving gas thru.

Alternatively, pump some oxygen or something directly into the section. If it's flooded with milligrams and such you could probably condenses it down to a few tiles if you displace it.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
What's the air pressure like in the rest of your base? I should think if you're pumping out enough O2, eventually that pressure should push the CO2 on the bottom into a small enough concentration.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Mechanical Ape posted:

What's the air pressure like in the rest of your base? I should think if you're pumping out enough O2, eventually that pressure should push the CO2 on the bottom into a small enough concentration.

I made a map with the pressure marks in grams.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Katt posted:

I made a map with the pressure marks in grams.

Honestly looks like a quirk of the pressure system. If there's no reason (other gases, airlocks, etc.) for it CO2 just kind of slowly settles. In this case it's probably settling downwards but at very slow rate because there isn't any other impetus to speed it up. As an experiment, throw a algae distiller at the bottom for a bit and I bet it changes much quicker.

Edit: Also, it looks like your water reservoir is capturing a ton of CO2, and another sizable chunk is getting pushed into the corner right of the printer.

Retro42 fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Nov 16, 2018

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Why did you put it so far from your base/problem area? I have no idea why your gasses are doing that, but if you'd put it just beneath your base it'd have worked fine.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I'm not sure what happened but it's like the CO2 passed some sort of of breakpoint and it went from looking like the picture above for about 2 hours at max game speed to this in about 10 minutes

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
You just have too much room down under your base for the co2 to spread out. I'm assuming your goal is to pressurize the lower area with o2, in which case what you want to be doing is building an o2 pipe down there and letting it rise up to fill the ladder shaft. I wouldn't necessarily recommend that, you could more easily get away with just building small airlocks full of o2 for your dupes to breathe in before you get exosuits, but if you've got the resources for it either way it's not a big deal. If you really want to be eliminating the co2 and just leaving a vacuum down below, then what you want to do is put a collection area like a water cistern at the bottom of the base with airlocks up above it and to the sides, then a skimmer down inside the cistern area clearing out the co2 as it collects. I can sandbox up a screenshot if that description isn't clear.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Captain Monkey posted:

Why did you put it so far from your base/problem area? I have no idea why your gasses are doing that, but if you'd put it just beneath your base it'd have worked fine.

I originally dug the deep hole to be rid of the CO2 early but instead of sinking the CO2 just expanded as the pressure dropped. When I did build the skimmer I did it at the bottom as all guides say.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

It's worth noting I've made this very mistake before and life could potentially get very unpleasant for your dupes if you run into a steam vent or oil. There's nothing to stop heat from pushing straight up into your living area.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
Yeah, you can see how the pressure is a nice strong 1500 on the top floors, then peters out to ~700 by the time it touches the CO2 zone. As a result there's not much pressuring the bottom CO2 into compressing further.

So I think you just need more gas, period. Keep generating O2 with high-output machines like Algae Deoxydizers (you could put one on the 700 floor, for instance). Give your base a few cycles to fill up. Gradually you should see that light-blue O2 zone moving deeper and deeper, and the CO2 below should be pushed into a smaller and smaller space, until there's enough pressure for your scrubber to go to work.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I can’t tell what happened there, but that’s an awfully long shaft to have only two tiles wide.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
That's what it is. The "gasses can't mix" behavior was causing the pressures to bottleneck at the entrance to the mineshaft. Dig it a total of 3 tiles wide (1 on each side of the ladder) and you'll see a very different behavior.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

insta posted:

That's what it is. The "gasses can't mix" behavior was causing the pressures to bottleneck at the entrance to the mineshaft. Dig it a total of 3 tiles wide (1 on each side of the ladder) and you'll see a very different behavior.

I heard 2 wide would do it but 3 wide worked like a charm.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

I ended up enabling sandbox mode to fix my broken SPOM. It seems that one extra tile width on the top where the wheezewort was is enough to not make it work correctly. I tried upping the pressure on the hydrogen poump to around 850g, and it still was picking up packets of oxygen and sending them to the generator.

Now I feel like I cheated on this colony and kinda want to restart. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Learning as a stat should be removed. It is too important on everyone.