Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

stab posted:

Amorphis (i dont even know what style these guys are i just know the wife loves em)

Amorphis started out death metal, then went melodeath for a few records, and have been proggy death for the last 10 or more. They are touring for their new album which is pretty great prog with touches of melodeath and symphonic elements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Good death has been coming out. Anything interesting going on with Thrash?

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

H13 posted:

Good death has been coming out. Anything interesting going on with Thrash?

I like Xenoblight and Evil Invaders. EI 2017 album is excellent.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Black Fast and The Crown released albums, and they're both great.

E: Oh yeah, and Bonehunter obviously, if you like blackened d-beat style nasty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-r0vB8fOd4I&t=57s

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Nov 15, 2018

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

E: Oh yeah, and Bonehunter obviously, if you like blackened d-beat style nasty.

Man, they got quite the imagery going on with the art for Sexual Panic Human Machine.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Oh yeah :v:

On the new album, the boner bear is still there, swinging a scythe. Which doesn't seem like a good idea, to be honest.

E: And the new art was drawn by Joe Petagno.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Nov 15, 2018

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
i am thankful for these year end lists, if only to remind me that i'm an idiot for sleeping on this amorphis record. gently caress this is exactly my poo poo, so good

so thanks for putting that back on my radar, metal thread

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I've never really listened much to Abominations of Desolation (or Morbid Angel in general really) on account of it just being a bunch of demos.

It is a really fun thrashy deathy album though and not just because Trey busts out a minimum of 3 huge, unstructured solos per song.

I know basically all the songs ended up on the later albums in one way or another, but there's something about the production and vocals that I like for these versions.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
didn't mike browning sing on that one

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Marry that woman.

I did!
Downside: going to shows of bands you never heard of and then being bored off your rear end because its not your style for both us (see me at a Paradise Lost show, her at an Iced Earth show)
Shut up i like Iced Earth i know the joke will write itself.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Sometimes I think about Iced Earth and laugh at the fact that their incredibly sincere concept album about Spawn is only their second most embarrassing album.

Anyways, some year end favorites I haven't seen mentioned.

Archgoat - The Luciferian Crown
Black Viper - Hellions of Fire
Haunt - Burst Into Flame
House of Atreus - From the Madness of Ixion
Khorada - Salt
Luger - Hellraisers of the Waste
Nachash - Phantasmal Triunity
Primordial - Exile Among the Ruins
Scorched - Ecliptic Butchery
Seven Sisters - The Cauldron and the Cross
Somali Yacht Club - The Sea
Vojd - The Outer Ocean
Wayfarer - World's Blood
Wytch Hazel - II: Sojurn

And probably my favorite of the year, Letters From the Edge by Sear Bliss.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRSJWUrNmWY

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Somali Yacht Club is a top tier band name

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

WoodrowSkillson posted:

i'm 34. I turned 14 in 1998. I had Pantera and Slipknot stickers on my rear windshield. I will never fully escape nu metal.

Sorry to respond late to this but why is Pantera lumped in with Slipknot or Nu Metal?

I never got why some more "hardcore" metalheads hated on Pantera.

I don't listen to metal like I did when I was a teenager. Megadeth, Slayer and Pantera were my absolute favorites when I was younger.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

Sorry to respond late to this but why is Pantera lumped in with Slipknot or Nu Metal?

Because they made lovely music and influenced tons of bands that made even shittier music, including a bunch of their thrash predecessors who spent the 90s making awful groove metal to replicate their success.

Also Phil just generally being an rear end in a top hat and their attempts to pretend Cowboys From Hell was their debut rubbed people wrong.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

I don't listen to metal like I did when I was a teenager. Megadeth, Slayer and Pantera were my absolute favorites when I was younger.

Pantera are probably the groove metal ground zero, and poppy groove metal (with maybe a bit of rapping) is nu metal. It's a bit like hating the Ramones because Blink 182 exist(ed?), with the difference that the Ramones were good.

fake edit: wow blink 182 are still going. huh

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
There's a new Sigh album out now too. Goddamn all these releases at the end of the year.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Henchman of Santa posted:

Because they made lovely music and influenced tons of bands that made even shittier music, including a bunch of their thrash predecessors who spent the 90s making awful groove metal to replicate their success.

Also Phil just generally being an rear end in a top hat and their attempts to pretend Cowboys From Hell was their debut rubbed people wrong.

Well even Pantera fans don't like Phil. The guy who got me into Pantera absolutely hated him, blaming him for Dimebag's death and obviously for breaking up the band because he's a garbage human.

But oh well. There's almost no music I hate so I don't really get it. I can listen to and enjoy anything.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Don’t let these idiots get you down; Pantera is great and still holds up.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

NikkolasKing posted:

in part because they were a mainstream band, but also because metal nerds are by and large a product of the upper middle class, and pantera consciously geared their music and image toward white trash

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The Muppets On PCP posted:

in part because they were a mainstream band, but also because metal nerds are by and large a product of the upper middle class, and pantera consciously geared their music and image toward white trash

That's a good point. I am from Michigan but the guy who got me into Pantera was a Texan and I live in Texas now. Texans are a proud people.

Trashy is kind of an insult but some people wear it as a badge of honor so I hope it's fine to say trashy Southerners are a big fierce and loyal demographic.

EDIT:
And I just learned Vinnie Paul is dead. RIP. The bros are rocking in Heaven now.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Nov 16, 2018

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I completely forgot Vinnie Paul died

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Sometimes, you have to shake it thrice.
Please refer to him as Philip H. Anselmo now, guys. Thanks.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

The Muppets On PCP posted:

Maybe where you grew up, but me and all my friends were middle class or below.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Minto Took posted:

Maybe where you grew up, but me and all my friends were middle class or below.

Yeah same. That was 90% of the metalheads I knew.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

"Hardcore" metalheads potentially disliked Pantera because by the time Cowboys From Hell was out death metal was already established, and another album or two after that 2nd wave was kicking off so it was "insulting" in a way for people to be obsessed with Pantera? I don't know, Pantera were over and done with by the time I got into metal in the early 2000's so I missed when they were an actual phenomena but I heard my fair share of how they are the greatest band ever and the heaviest poo poo to ever exist over here in Central Cali.

Edit: Obligatory listen to Exhorder instead.

Nazzadan fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Nov 16, 2018

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Theres a huge difference between 'upper middle class' and 'middle class' nerds. I mean, higher up doesn't really exist anymore in most countries or just in very isolated portions

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Smirr posted:

poppy groove metal (with maybe a bit of rapping) is nu metal.

I always felt a lot of nu metal came more from the Fear Factory side of things, downtuned 7-string guitars and all. But there is a lot of Pantera in there too, certainly the attitude.

Pantera made some ridiculously great songs, and I love the band for that. Phil's a dumbass of course, but when he was in the groove and not allowed to banter between songs, he was a fierce motherfucker.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Pantera was my first true favorite metal band and they are loving great. I 100% get them not being your thing, but people who say they are terrible just come off as a fart huffing snobs.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Pantera are great and anybody that says otherwise is wrong

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isYmSQks5Z4

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
You treat your stepmother with respect, Pantera!

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Tfw you realize a Heathen song you really dig is a Tygers of Pan Tang cover :aaa:

https://youtu.be/a41LCKAtCi0

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Upcoming poo poo I'm excited about : Abnormality, Carcass, Hypocrisy, Nile, and I think Travis said at the last Cattle Decap show that they're working on something too.

From the last page, but I saw Cattle Decapitation last night and he said new album this time next year.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Pantera’s best riff is an unintentional ripoff of Frank Zappa

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Henchman of Santa posted:

Pantera’s best riff is an unintentional ripoff of Frank Zappa

What Zappa song did 10s rip off?

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

CornHolio posted:

What Zappa song did Pussy Tight 88 rip off?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
(the answer is I'm Broken, which is just a heavy version of Don't Eat That Yellow Snow)

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

On first listen, the new Sigh album is fantastic. I do think the first track, while made up of great parts, drags on a couple of minutes too long, and In Memories Delusional is a bit uneven with some sections that I didn't really like, but everything else is amazing.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
At first I was just relieved that they'd moved on from the sound they tried out on Graveward, but now I find I like it more than anything they've done since Imaginary Sonicscape. Might be my favorite metal release of the year after just a couple of listens.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I'll probably post this in the vinyl thread as well, but 20 Buck Spin is having a pretty good sale for the next week. I just ordered War.Cult.Supremacy, Khemmis' first to round out my collection of them, and the latest Obsequiae.
https://www.20buckspin.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

This is easily top 3 for me of the year, but I'd have to think on the rest.