Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I like that one article about the Toronto couple who bought a fixer upper and then hired a toothless contractor who rolled up on his bike one day and he took their money and hosed up their foundation and they just shrugged their shoulders

they had squatter living in their house and they paid them to leave too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

"Finally, in May 2011, the permits came through. Julian consulted his spreadsheet of contractors and narrowed it down to three candidates. He went outside to mull over his choices. That’s when a man pulled up on his 10-speed bicycle and started chatting with Julian. His name was Robert. He was in his 50s, wore a short-sleeved plaid shirt, jean cut-offs, a rumpled hat and white running shoes. He was missing a few key teeth and didn’t like wearing socks or, as he later informed us, underwear. Robert didn’t own a car and spent his time collecting stray pieces of metal, wood and other junk he’d find on the street. Yet, despite his alarming appearance, he was charming and knowledgeable. He told Julian that he had a degree in structural engineering, and he proposed sensible ideas, like adding skylights to the attic and relocating the furnace to create space for a two-bedroom basement suite. Hey, he said, I could do it myself. Julian wasn’t so sure. Then Robert mentioned he was cheap—only $35 an hour. The next day, Julian checked Robert’s references, which were neither glowing nor damning. We hired him, figuring we could always replace him if things didn’t go well.

Robert started the next day. The first step was to underpin the basement, which required digging it out from the inside. Julian biked over to check on the progress and discovered that our front porch was gone."

https://torontolife.com/real-estate/parkdale-reno-hell/

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

FCKGW posted:

"Finally, in May 2011, the permits came through. Julian consulted his spreadsheet of contractors and narrowed it down to three candidates. He went outside to mull over his choices. That’s when a man pulled up on his 10-speed bicycle and started chatting with Julian. His name was Robert. He was in his 50s, wore a short-sleeved plaid shirt, jean cut-offs, a rumpled hat and white running shoes. He was missing a few key teeth and didn’t like wearing socks or, as he later informed us, underwear. Robert didn’t own a car and spent his time collecting stray pieces of metal, wood and other junk he’d find on the street. Yet, despite his alarming appearance, he was charming and knowledgeable. He told Julian that he had a degree in structural engineering, and he proposed sensible ideas, like adding skylights to the attic and relocating the furnace to create space for a two-bedroom basement suite. Hey, he said, I could do it myself. Julian wasn’t so sure. Then Robert mentioned he was cheap—only $35 an hour. The next day, Julian checked Robert’s references, which were neither glowing nor damning. We hired him, figuring we could always replace him if things didn’t go well.

Robert started the next day. The first step was to underpin the basement, which required digging it out from the inside. Julian biked over to check on the progress and discovered that our front porch was gone."

I can't read that and believe someone wrote it seriously.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
No!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

:eyepoop:

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

FCKGW posted:

I live in that neighbourhood and holy poo poo when that article came out :chanpop:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

It just keeps getting better. First, it was the bed, then I noticed the window on the right rear... :catstare:

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

cursed image

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
The "I like to watch" chair on the right facing the bed is a really vital piece of the story here.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

therobit posted:

I can't read that and believe someone wrote it seriously.

I am a bleeding heart full of sympathy, but even I struggle to feel sorry for such utter morons.

quote:

Unfortunately, that dream was becoming increasingly unrealistic for a young family without a lot of money. Julian had just finished his PhD in education and was teaching part-time at Humber; I was an editor for the Food Network’s website and preparing to go on maternity leave. Still, we scoured the listings every day, searching for a fixer-upper that we could renovate ourselves to save money. We weren’t particularly handy, but we’d seen all the home reno shows, and it seemed like everyone in the city was doing it. How hard could it be?

That night, six hours after Julian had called me at work, we submitted a bid of $480,000 without conditions. To our surprise, the owners refused it outright, evidently realizing they’d under-quoted us. We pushed our offer to our limit of $560,000, and they accepted. I was thrilled. Then the adrenalin wore off, and the gravity of what we’d done sank in. We had just spent more than a half a million dollars on a house I had never seen.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Liquid Communism posted:

It just keeps getting better. First, it was the bed, then I noticed the window on the right rear... :catstare:

I thought it was a lamp.

e: Although it would be a strange place for a big-rear end lamp as well.

Javid posted:

The "I like to watch" chair on the right facing the bed is a really vital piece of the story here.

It's actually the "put on my socks while sitting down because I'm old and/or fat" chair. I have one, too.

e: I'm the 18" LCD television set.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
I'm the spotlight in the corner

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Jusupov posted:

I'm the spotlight in the corner

It's actually in a sensible spot because there's a chest of drawers underneath. Gotta find those socks in the dark.

Everything sensible in that room is sock-related! :thunk:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Where others saw failure, you saw sock sense

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

shortspecialbus posted:

I mean I guess if I could basically get paid by clients with limitless funds to do a job well above my skillset after warning them of said skillset limitations, I'd probably do it too.

My memory is a bit hazy on the whole thing, but I guess he did the best with what he had to work with on that project and it's not like he misled them as far as I know.

I still swear there was a second project with him and the same rich couple that went very poorly too - am I misremembering?

Second project rings a bell, but not sure if it was for the same couple or a disaster. I think you might be conflating it with the Toronto crack-den couple brought up since who just had to go buy a house on a lake even when they were so in debt from remodeling their house in town. Like I genuinely feel the Olivebridge cottage couple got a raw deal with their house, took a calculated risk on letting their remodeller step up to full house builder, and successfully got a usable property out of it even if it cost a lot more than they planned. Toronto crack-den couple just made every possible bad choice only to get bailed out because consequences are for other people.

Is it a sunken mattress or is that duvet cover hiding more carpet?

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Someone stubbed their toe one time too many.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Shoulda just cut the joists and lowered the bed.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Look if you've got a better way to prevent the monster under the bed from grabbing your ankles I'd like to hear it.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Hey, what era was the terrible explody one for StabLok panels?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Phanatic posted:

Shoulda just cut the joists and lowered the bed.

Lower beds are harder to get in/out of

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Suspect Bucket posted:

Hey, what era was the terrible explody one for StabLok panels?

AFAIK all of them are considered dangerous, with no limit on age.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The headboard is actually an alcove with curtains and superfluous angles.

I'm the tiny lamp with a larger lamp shining directly on it from above.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

GotLag posted:

Lower beds are harder to get in/out of
what are you talking about, way easier to roll out if it's lower

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Nah, see how there's a curved transition from floor to bed-side? That's a quarterpipe for the cat.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

spog posted:

I am a bleeding heart full of sympathy, but even I struggle to feel sorry for such utter morons.

quote:

quote:
Unfortunately, that dream was becoming increasingly unrealistic for a young family without a lot of money. Julian had just finished his PhD in education and was teaching part-time at Humber; I was an editor for the Food Network’s website and preparing to go on maternity leave. Still, we scoured the listings every day, searching for a fixer-upper that we could renovate ourselves to save money. We weren’t particularly handy, but we’d seen all the home reno shows, and it seemed like everyone in the city was doing it. How hard could it be?

That night, six hours after Julian had called me at work, we submitted a bid of $480,000 without conditions. To our surprise, the owners refused it outright, evidently realizing they’d under-quoted us. We pushed our offer to our limit of $560,000, and they accepted. I was thrilled. Then the adrenalin wore off, and the gravity of what we’d done sank in. We had just spent more than a half a million dollars on a house I had never seen.

Nearly unemployed or working extremely low wage jobs and buying a half million dollar house to renovate? That matches up with the home reno shows exactly.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

wolrah posted:

AFAIK all of them are considered dangerous, with no limit on age.

In the apartment I really like. That's the most affordable. Of course.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Index your belongings with photos and get renter's insurance.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Queen Combat posted:

and don't let the insurance company know there's a stab-lok. in fact, don't ever think about it again

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

FogHelmut posted:

Nearly unemployed or working extremely low wage jobs and buying a half million dollar house to renovate? That matches up with the home reno shows exactly.
They already owned a condo and still had a mortgage on another detached house where they were living, and sold it for over $600k. Despite that, they only pulled through because the husband's godfather rolled into town and handed them the money they needed to get it finished.

It's always amazingly frustrating to see rich people waltz through their terrible decisions intact.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

AMISH FRIED PIES posted:

and don't let the insurance company know there's a stab-lok. in fact, don't ever think about it again

Queen Combat posted:

All excellent ideas. It's otherwise a really good apartment.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
i hope the owners of olivebridge cottage fall off a fuckin bridge because expensive designer airbnb listings for houses owned by manhattanites who never live in the fuckin things are why i can't afford a place to live around here

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

there wolf posted:

Is it a sunken mattress or is that duvet cover hiding more carpet?

The mattress is actually on the floor, it's the rest of the room around it that is sunken.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

The mattress is actually on the floor, it's the rest of the room around it that is sunken.

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

Suspect Bucket posted:

In the apartment I really like. That's the most affordable. Of course.

highfive stablok buddy. It's getting replaced.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

there wolf posted:

Like I genuinely feel the Olivebridge cottage couple got a raw deal with their house, took a calculated risk on letting their remodeller step up to full house builder, and successfully got a usable property out of it even if it cost a lot more than they planned.

Yeah, blogger dude was in way over his head but that house was loving :catdrugs: and at that point he knew more about it than anyone.

They should have brought in the pros earlier and relegated him to a consultant, but, without knowing how much he was charging, it was probably a misstep that cost them more in time than in money.

Of course, they turned around and put the cottage up for lease, so the delay may have had real cost.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Ashcans posted:

It's always amazingly frustrating to see rich people waltz through their terrible decisions intact.
Especially when the very second paragraph starts off like this:

quote:

That house had been a flip job, hastily renovated by the previous owner, and we had bought impulsively, anxious to upsize from our 900-square-foot condo.
You hosed up once by buying a house impulsively and really regretted it, so you then do the exact same thing again by buying a house so quickly that you can’t even see it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Yeah, I wish I could be insulated from my poor decisions by money.
Those two need to be dropped into the middle of a forest for a couple months to learn what having nothing feels like.
Hell, taking away their mobile phones and forbidding them to visit Starbucks would probably devastate them.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
When copy/paste architecture goes too far:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

When copy/paste architecture goes too far:

I have no idea how these things get built. This stuff has to pass through dozens of people before it gets to this point and no one says "Hey wait a minute?".