Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Niwrad posted:

Also gently caress the Packers.

Then
Now
Forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

hughesta posted:

missed the game can someone give me a rundown on what McCarthy botched

Burned 2 timeouts in the 2nd half on nothing, then didn't challenge what ended up being Seattle's most important - and questionable - reception of the night in order to save the last timeout, punted on 4th & 2 with just over 3 minutes left when half his defensive starters were out due to being injured over the course of the game. That last saved timeout did gently caress all.

All that in addition to some poo poo McCarthy playcalling including one screenshotted play where all but one receiver is at least 5 yards behind the LOS.

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.

SKULL.GIF posted:

playcalling, clock management, and guts

specifically he punted to the seahawks while behind 3 points with half the defense injured and only 1 timeout remaining

dont forget wasting two timeouts in the second half and couldn't risk (what would have been easily overturned) the third on a long pass completion by seattle

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Dexo posted:

Long suffering sports town :smith:

The Blackhawks won the Cup in 2010, 2013, and 2015

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

OxySnake posted:

The Blackhawks won the Cup in 2010, 2013, and 2015

Long suffering sports town :colbert:

It's been like two decades since we won an NBA title :cry:

Dexo fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Nov 16, 2018

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/JJStankevitz/status/1063285833875288064

WOOO

No longer Paper Tigers bitches.

also I'm extremely kidding about being a long suffering sports town

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
McCarthy gonna go and it's gonna own. No need to fire him this year it's pretty much a done deal. Start scouting Gutey!!

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Dexo posted:

LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MIKE MCCARTHY
I was flipping back between this and NBA but the gist of what I heard is that he punted on 4th and 2 with 3 minutes left? lmfao

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Wisconsin managed to finally boot out Scott Walker this year, maybe we can boot Fat Mike before the end of the year too.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Pops Mgee posted:

Wisconsin managed to finally boot out Scott Walker this year, maybe we can boot Fat Mike before the end of the year too.

Realtalk: Congrats. gently caress Scott Walker.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Dexo posted:

:same:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Pops Mgee posted:

Bless.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Pops Mgee posted:

Wisconsin is gonna get rid of everyone who has 2+ ham sandwiches per meal.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Dexo posted:

:yeah:

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

tbf mccarthy might have gone for it if he hadn't just watch rodgers throw the worst pass of his life

i say this, but i know in my heart it is not true

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

OxySnake posted:

Lmao

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

OxySnake posted:

I like this post

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

PupsOfWar posted:

tbf mccarthy might have gone for it if he hadn't just watch rodgers throw the worst pass of his life

That was tipped.

McCarthy completely abandoned the run game, even though everybody has been talking about them needing to ride Aaron Jones. gently caress McCarthy.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Todd Haley to Green Bay

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Leon Einstein posted:

That was tipped.

McCarthy completely abandoned the run game, even though everybody has been talking about them needing to ride Aaron Jones. gently caress McCarthy.

4 runs in the second half.

Zero runs on third down.

AJ has 103 yards on 16 touches (11 runs 5 receiving). He has already scored twice in the game. What the actual gently caress.

PupsOfWar posted:

Rodgers had a pretty good game on paper, 21/30, 332 yards, 2 TDs, but he ate sacks repeatedly and most of his passes, aside from that beautiful rollout bomb to Tonyan, weren't on the money. And yet... 4 runs in the second half.

Rodgers is 34 years old (minus 3 seasons of being on the bench, so he's a younger 34), maybe we shouldn't be leaning on him to win each and every single game. There's plenty of weapons around him, lean on them more often. Honestly feels like the situation with Dom Capers where there were plenty of talent on the defense and after cycling through all the other options it finally comes down to the problem was the coaching. Packers have an elite receiver, two very promising rookies, an explosive running back, a decent TE, and a OL that buys Rodgers sufficient time if he doesn't hold it twice as long as necessary looking for the deep bomb in a game that we're leading in. It's just not gelling. That's a coaching problem.

Going over the drives from the game, so many possessions were ended on a third-and-short sack where Rodgers is holding the ball way too long and gets engulfed by the defense. That's crippling, just absolutely crippling, and it puts the defense on the field for way longer than their endurance can hold out for. No surprise they keep picking up minor injuries, they're being worn down.

I don't think Rodgers is listening to McCarthy anymore at all. I posted about it earlier but this season really reminds me of the 2005 season, Ted's first season, with Mike Sherman. Favre just flat out didn't care about Sherman anymore and the team looked poorly coached and kept on making sloppy mistakes and giving away winnable games on the way to a 4-12 record.

The Packers need a coach who will pull Rodgers back into line, and whip the offense into shape. Also please keep Mike Pettine, he's been a godsend for the defense. On paper they haven't been doing great but Fackrell has taken a major step forward, the Packers are among league leaders in sacks, and the defense somehow hasn't given up more than 31 points in any one game despite being on the field constantly due to the struggles of the offense.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

American McGay posted:

I was flipping back between this and NBA but the gist of what I heard is that he punted on 4th and 2 with 3 minutes left? lmfao

4 minutes left!

Which is a meaningless distinction because, it was 2 yards, Jones was gouging them on every run, the lack of time outs, and the fact that Seattle was running on them at will and could easily run out the clock. It has to be one of the stupidest coaching decisions this season.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

The Lions have 2 :smug: :smug:

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Quiet Feet posted:

4 minutes left!

Which is a meaningless distinction because, it was 2 yards, Jones was gouging them on every run, the lack of time outs, and the fact that Seattle was running on them at will and could easily run out the clock. It has to be one of the stupidest coaching decisions this season.

It's definitely the moment McCarthy jumped the shark. Totally inexcusable.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

SKULL.GIF posted:

The Packers need a coach who will pull Rodgers back into line, and whip the offense into shape. Also please keep Mike Pettine, he's been a godsend for the defense. On paper they haven't been doing great but Fackrell has taken a major step forward, the Packers are among league leaders in sacks, and the defense somehow hasn't given up more than 31 points in any one game despite being on the field constantly due to the struggles of the offense.

The biggest difference I see with the defense compared to last years is that they don't give up these rediculous yards after a catch anymore.
Previously, there was always a wide receiver wide open somewhere, now they get immediately tackled. Well, sometimes a missed tackle, but all receptions have to be earned by the offense.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Why does Rodgers treat every passing play like a Hail Mary?

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Dexo posted:

Something the entire NFCN can get behind.

Realtalk: I hope Fat Mike stays forever.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

tinstaach posted:

The Lions have 2 :smug: :smug:

Kings of the North!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Cool the Jimmy G thumb injury is serious

It also came on this play

:waycool:

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

SirPablo posted:

Something the entire NFCN can get behind.

Realtalk: I hope Fat Mike stays forever.

I don't mind if they get rid of fat Mike, that guy has beaten the bears way too much for me to want to see him around anymore. I just hope it's for a Pats coordinator or a awful retread

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Josh McDaniels :allears:

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

SKULL.GIF posted:

Nothing but a thug

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

He's a bust. Has Marcedes done anything this year? I think I saw him in on like 5 plays all year. Packers just don't know wtf they're doing.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/MichaelDavSmith/status/1063466371487551488

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Always a good sign

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Hopefully when Quinn gets the boot in a year or two the new GM will want their own guy. Not like it will matter.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

In regards to practice, just a couple of comments I just want to make on this topic to provide some maybe insight and let’s call it closure to this continual conversation that we have here as far as our training. First, we’ll always practice and train in a manner that looks out for our players’ ability to prepare each week for our opponent while also taking care of, including all parameters to the overall health and safety of our team. Indoor walkthroughs, which we had this week, which we’ve also had in the past, are always beneficial to our team. It’s beneficial to our players. It’s a great teaching and learning environment. It’s an opportunity for us to pull off them physically the demands of practice and the overall hustle and pursuit of what we have to do during the course of a practice and our movements. It also gives a little bit of extra rest to most of the players out there on the turf but also allows some of the players that might not be able to practice out there in the normal practice environment to go out and get reps and get communication and get prepared for the game.

The downside of practicing indoors on the turf is the wear and effect that it has on the bigger-bodied players on our team. Standing on turf or running on turf often times, for extended periods of time, affects joints. It affects swelling and really causes the body in the different members of our team to have pain or joint swelling that then will cause them further delay in preparing for playing in the game.

Practicing outside has multiple benefits. Provides different elements for us to prepare in, work through in the grand overall preparation of our team. Yesterday was a good opportunity for us to go outside. We were able to practice and work on our fundamentals from a standpoint that we wanted to practice in pads. Practicing in pads on turf is a little bit of an extra risk in my mind, in some of those situations where feet or footwork might be stuck in the turf in different situations whereas the grass or the natural ground has a little bit more give. In those situations it was safer for us to go outside in pads and practice in an opportunity where we could work on our fundamentals in what I thought would be a safer manner, which is true.

Going outside yesterday allowed us to also have the opportunity to focus on our fundamentals, which we needed to do, and take care and make sure we are technically sound in some of our footwork. Practicing in some of those conditions, whether it’s mud, snow, loose grass, whatever the case may be, focuses most of the skill players have to keep their feet underneath them to be able to break the low center of gravity and play technically sound, which is always good from a fundamental standpoint. So a good opportunity to get that done. The temperature yesterday was not a factor. It was not cold outside and there was not a heavy wind. So it was an easy day for us to go outside and get some good work done.

Working through conditions that are not ideal, as a football team, is also another benefit for us to take live learning environments and turn them into actual teaching moments outside also. It allows us to focus on the details, again, like I said, of our technique but also the awareness of our surroundings, which we’ll have to play through and fight through at some point, in particular through the course of the year. When the elements pop up it’s a great learning lesson for us. We’re going to take the opportunity to make sure that we fight through it and again. Remember, that we’re always playing the team or the opponent, not the elements.

In many cases we change and alter practice and locations based on what we feel is best for the team in that particular moment. Some of those decisions are made at the very last minute, based on how the weather or how the field or how the team feels in that particular time. Last Friday, we practiced inside. We played outside. Miami week, we practiced outside in the quote-unquote cold and we played in 112 (degree) field temperature game. Again, it’s about the preparation, it’s about how we practice, it’s about our execution and then it’s about how we perform on Sunday. That’s all that really matters.

So that’s all we’re trying to do. There’s no more discussion. There’s no more conversation about it. I’d like to move on and show a little bit more respect to Carolina, the Panthers, coach Ron Rivera, his outstanding team that he’s bringing up here to play against us and the challenges that we have in fact trying to stop and prepare for them.

We’re going to be practicing inside today so everybody’s clear, all right? Make sure everybody’s good for all the head coaches in the room on that. Everybody good there?

So again, there’s some wind out there, some gusts, probably a good idea to practice inside and make sure you have some good timing. It’s all based on what’s best for the team at that moment. We good? Great. Any questions about Carolina?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

SKULL.GIF posted:

In regards to practice, just a couple of comments I just want to make on this topic to provide some maybe insight and let’s call it closure to this continual conversation that we have here as far as our training. First, we’ll always practice and train in a manner that looks out for our players’ ability to prepare each week for our opponent while also taking care of, including all parameters to the overall health and safety of our team. Indoor walkthroughs, which we had this week, which we’ve also had in the past, are always beneficial to our team. It’s beneficial to our players. It’s a great teaching and learning environment. It’s an opportunity for us to pull off them physically the demands of practice and the overall hustle and pursuit of what we have to do during the course of a practice and our movements. It also gives a little bit of extra rest to most of the players out there on the turf but also allows some of the players that might not be able to practice out there in the normal practice environment to go out and get reps and get communication and get prepared for the game.

The downside of practicing indoors on the turf is the wear and effect that it has on the bigger-bodied players on our team. Standing on turf or running on turf often times, for extended periods of time, affects joints. It affects swelling and really causes the body in the different members of our team to have pain or joint swelling that then will cause them further delay in preparing for playing in the game.

Practicing outside has multiple benefits. Provides different elements for us to prepare in, work through in the grand overall preparation of our team. Yesterday was a good opportunity for us to go outside. We were able to practice and work on our fundamentals from a standpoint that we wanted to practice in pads. Practicing in pads on turf is a little bit of an extra risk in my mind, in some of those situations where feet or footwork might be stuck in the turf in different situations whereas the grass or the natural ground has a little bit more give. In those situations it was safer for us to go outside in pads and practice in an opportunity where we could work on our fundamentals in what I thought would be a safer manner, which is true.

Going outside yesterday allowed us to also have the opportunity to focus on our fundamentals, which we needed to do, and take care and make sure we are technically sound in some of our footwork. Practicing in some of those conditions, whether it’s mud, snow, loose grass, whatever the case may be, focuses most of the skill players have to keep their feet underneath them to be able to break the low center of gravity and play technically sound, which is always good from a fundamental standpoint. So a good opportunity to get that done. The temperature yesterday was not a factor. It was not cold outside and there was not a heavy wind. So it was an easy day for us to go outside and get some good work done.

Working through conditions that are not ideal, as a football team, is also another benefit for us to take live learning environments and turn them into actual teaching moments outside also. It allows us to focus on the details, again, like I said, of our technique but also the awareness of our surroundings, which we’ll have to play through and fight through at some point, in particular through the course of the year. When the elements pop up it’s a great learning lesson for us. We’re going to take the opportunity to make sure that we fight through it and again. Remember, that we’re always playing the team or the opponent, not the elements.

In many cases we change and alter practice and locations based on what we feel is best for the team in that particular moment. Some of those decisions are made at the very last minute, based on how the weather or how the field or how the team feels in that particular time. Last Friday, we practiced inside. We played outside. Miami week, we practiced outside in the quote-unquote cold and we played in 112 (degree) field temperature game. Again, it’s about the preparation, it’s about how we practice, it’s about our execution and then it’s about how we perform on Sunday. That’s all that really matters.

So that’s all we’re trying to do. There’s no more discussion. There’s no more conversation about it. I’d like to move on and show a little bit more respect to Carolina, the Panthers, coach Ron Rivera, his outstanding team that he’s bringing up here to play against us and the challenges that we have in fact trying to stop and prepare for them.

We’re going to be practicing inside today so everybody’s clear, all right? Make sure everybody’s good for all the head coaches in the room on that. Everybody good there?

So again, there’s some wind out there, some gusts, probably a good idea to practice inside and make sure you have some good timing. It’s all based on what’s best for the team at that moment. We good? Great. Any questions about Carolina?

Agreed.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

SKULL.GIF posted:

This.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Fat Mike has feasted (heh) on the NFC central to the tune of a 53-22 record, thus sustaining his coaching tenure. Bears, Vikings, and Lions fans should be even happier to see him go than we will be.

Leon Einstein posted:

It's definitely the moment McCarthy jumped the shark. Totally inexcusable.

He does this poo poo all the time. He's a coward. He also took his foot off the gas as he usually does early in the game. If they get a lead, he plays for field goals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

SKULL.GIF posted:

Nice meltdown