Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I always find it humorous that the Romans were so exact and precise with all of their city and fortification planning while their own city was a adhoc confusing clusterfuck.

The US is the same way too. Try driving in Boston vs Salt Lake City. It's just the difference between a city that develops organically and one that is planned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Epicurius posted:

The US is the same way too. Try driving in Boston vs Salt Lake City. It's just the difference between a city that develops organically and one that is planned.

Boston is indeed a clusterfuck but our official capital of DC and our financial capital of Manhattan are both relatively cleanly planned designs.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Boston is indeed a clusterfuck but our official capital of DC and our financial capital of Manhattan are both relatively cleanly planned designs.

Neither of which took in account our current form of movement and are now a disaster.

All cities should be razed to the ground ever 50 years and replanned.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Remaking every city to be more car friendly strikes me as a very bad idea, even in a perfect world where no one is dispossessed somehow, for a whole host of reasons

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

If you make every city car friendly you end up with Texas. You don't want Texas.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

LingcodKilla posted:

Neither of which took in account our current form of movement and are now a disaster.

I see no issue with razing some US cities to the ground, it's the rebuilding part you have to sell me on. I mean, do you really need detroit anymore?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Dalael posted:

I see no issue with razing some US cities to the ground, it's the rebuilding part you have to sell me on. I mean, do you really need detroit anymore?

Incredibly racist. I mean I know its you but come on.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Boston has huge swathes that are "cleanly planned", like the Back Bay, South End, South Boston, and most of the outer areas past Roxbury. It's just it all happens to suck to drive in anyway because if you're driving there you're often going to a place that is outright awful to drive into like the core downtown.

Anyway though, a ton of cities people talk up as "designed for cars" in the US are really 19th century plans that easily predate automobiles, often even trains at all. It's more that we made our cars suitable to put into roads designed for ease-of-use by animal-drawn wagons and carriages, which makes those same roads look like they're good for cars.

Places like the original core of Boston or parts of the original depths of Manhattan are terrible for cars today... but they were also terrible for your horse drawn wagon in 1743!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Terrible Opinions posted:

If you make every city car friendly you end up with Texas. You don't want Texas.

Have you ever driven in DC or Manhattan? It’s a loving disaster of epic proportions. Widen every street by three and keep one portion for rail and cover it with a green way.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I have driven in dc philly Pittsburgh Manhattan! The Bronx queens boston.

They are all fine. You just can’t do stupid rural driver poo poo.

It might help to limit deliveries to nighttime like in Rome.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

LingcodKilla posted:

Have you ever driven in DC or Manhattan? It’s a loving disaster of epic proportions. Widen every street by three and keep one portion for rail and cover it with a green way.

This doesn't actually do anything to help traffic, but this is more of a traffic/urban planning thread topic anyway.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
IIRC, Moheno-Daro and Harrappa were planned cities, at least compared to the clusterfucks that Sumerian cities appear to have been.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

euphronius posted:

Incredibly racist. I mean I know its you but come on.

What is wrong with you? Detroit is a city that is 60% empty. Cam people stop being dumbasses who equates everything to race jesus gently caress

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
"Widen streets in downtown so it gets better to drive", an actual opinion expressed by someone in 2018. Lordamercy

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Most cities I've ever been in, could really benefit from investing a lot more in mass transit options rather than road widening. I think one of the worst decisions made in north America, was to remove tramways and the likes.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Dalael posted:

What is wrong with you? Detroit is a city that is 60% empty. Cam people stop being dumbasses who equates everything to race jesus gently caress

Mods can I respond or should I let it go

I think let it go?

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

euphronius posted:

I think let it go?

Yes, let it go.

Despite what you might mistakenly believe, I am not aware of US cities demographics. When I think of Detroit, I think of Robocop, the failing car industry and the thousands upon thousands of empty homes. It has NOTHING to do with race and people like you who keeps making these types of arguments are really, really off the mark here. Like seriously, if I was such a racist as you claim, I wouldn't have half of my family blocked on facebook and other social media for the constant anti-immigration stance they're taking.

Seriously, stop with this poo poo. Stop it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Your knowledge of American urban issues is based on Robocop.

I mean

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
“I’m not racist, I just have no idea what I’m talking about” is certainly one line of defense, I suppose.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

When I think of Paris I think of the parts of Casablanca set there and hoo boy y’all need to kick them nazis out already

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

euphronius posted:

I think let it go?

Just put that guy on ignore, they've never contributed anything of value and are always starting some nonsense.

Truly the Trebonius Gallus of posters.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
No, my knowledge of Detroit is based on articles and pictures that I've read over the years regarding the auto-industry, the empty property and some of the steps Detroit has undertaken over the years to remedy their situation. I just happen to remember that Robocop takes place in Detroit.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Dalael posted:

What is wrong with you? Detroit is a city that is 60% empty.

So we need to make over half a million people homeless? What the gently caress, guy who's incapable of understanding Plato's allegories.

LingcodKilla posted:

It's your own fault for insisting on driving there. No one drives anymore, it's too crowded!

Also DC and Manhattan already have a lot of very wide streets, being built on the idealized forms of triumphal roads in the classical world! Frankly DC relies on that Fanciest Boulevard In The Empire shtick way too often.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

fishmech posted:

So we need to make over half a million people homeless? What the gently caress, guy who's incapable of understanding Plato's allegories.

It's your own fault for insisting on driving there. No one drives anymore, it's too crowded!

Also DC and Manhattan already have a lot of very wide streets, being built on the idealized forms of triumphal roads in the classical world! Frankly DC relies on that fake Fanciest Boulevard In The Empire shtick way too often.

It was a joke. Get over it

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

DC was designed to be defensible and difficult for enemies to maneuver in, which it turns out is not great for traffic.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

LingcodKilla posted:

this is why we pollute so much today

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

HEY GUNS posted:

this is why we pollute so much today

That is something we do as a gently caress YOU to the Insignians, for the day when they finally rise from the ground to destroy us all

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Senor Dog posted:

When I think of Paris I think of the parts of Casablanca set there and hoo boy y’all need to kick them nazis out already
This joke feels a lot less like a joke than I would like it to.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

fishmech posted:

Places like the original core of Boston or parts of the original depths of Manhattan are terrible for cars today... but they were also terrible for your horse drawn wagon in 1743!
i have been in a part of Dresden that's beneath the part of Dresden just on the water and HOLY poo poo was it difficult to get into, by design. There's a switchback and then a tiny path right next to the city walls, which would have been manned at the time. That little path could not have been used as an offensive route, is the point

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Defensive route or toll road (or both)? Like wasn't one of the HRE problems that any idiot could string a chain across a river and charge a toll?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Lübeck's the same. Only access to the city centre is by one loving bridge, and it's not a big one. Last I heard they were trying to fix it though.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It’s amazing how young American cities are. I think the oldest one founded by European colonizers is ... San Juan?

Mexico City is not that much older. 14th century iirc.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Tias posted:

Lübeck's the same. Only access to the city centre is by one loving bridge, and it's not a big one. Last I heard they were trying to fix it though.

When looking at aerial photo's, it looks like there's more than one. I can count at least 3. Are the other ones not used?

Also, that gate is beautiful. Was it ever part of a defensive wall or was it more for crowd control/taxes collection?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I only know this from a mate who lived there, so.. not sure. I think they're in use but just so inefficient that you have to go by the biggest one if you want to make your thing in time.

The gate was constructed for military purposes, yes. It was once part of a bigger fortification guarding the citys west approach.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

euphronius posted:

It’s amazing how young American cities are. I think the oldest one founded by European colonizers is ... San Juan?

Mexico City is not that much older. 14th century iirc.
the oldest city-state in what is now the us is Acoma
the oldest european city in what is now the us is saint augustine

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

San Juan is older than st Augustine.

I never heard of Acoma though. That’s cool.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

euphronius posted:

San Juan is older than st Augustine.
poo poo, my bad

quote:

I never heard of Acoma though. That’s cool.
it is the age it is because it's built in like...the world's best tactical location for a walled city

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Tree Bucket posted:

How many slingers can you have in a formation? I'm picturing a few hundred dudes swinging large rocks around on long ropes, and the potential for accidental brainings seems really really high. I mean, if the guy behind you gets it the slightest bit wrong, say goodbye to the back of your head.

Also regarding The True Secret Name of Rome, there's a rad scene in one of Colleen McCollough's books where an old patrician protests the actions of Sulla (or Caesar? Can't remember) by standing up screaming "amor! amor!"- the Secret Name, of course- causing everyone else to cry and run around in circles and so on.

From the demos I've seen, slinging doesn't involve as much whirling around one's head as pop culture representations suggest. The motion is closer to pitching a baseball.

Plus it's a one-handed action, unlike a bow which requires two, so there's at least room for a buckler-type shield!

SKIRMISHERS! :black101:

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

HEY GUNS posted:

poo poo, my bad

it is the age it is because it's built in like...the world's best tactical location for a walled city

San juan is oldest in the US, St Augustine is the oldest in the continental states

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Throwing rolls of tape around the storage room. Had to stop when I dented the drywall.

Formed the pouch buy squeezing the ends.

Middle finger is held in by a small eye splice and the release side is a bigger splice I pinch with my thumb and just let slide out on release.