Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Isn't that the whole point of younger associates?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
I thought the point of younger associates was to throw them under the bus with zero supervision?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Nice piece of fish posted:

Stands to reason. Jews and gas don't mix.

DANG

blarzgh posted:

I ran into a guy at a park while our kids were playing who was an attorney at a local biglaw firm and we got to talking shop. He's in his 8th year of practice and was talking about how excited he was to get to sit second chair at depositions this past year, and what great experience it was.

jesus that's depressing

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Things younger associates are good for:

1. Driving me to court/depositions so I can prepare and bill travel time at 100%

2. Sitting and taking notes so I don’t have to

3. Researching poo poo I don’t want to

4. Reviewing medical records so I don’t have to read about some lady’s leaky nipples and genital warts

5. Summarizing depositions that I already took

6. Making binders wrong and then making them again

7. Billing for all of the above so that I have more money

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Things younger associates are good for:

1. Driving me to court/depositions so I can prepare and bill travel time at 100%

2. Sitting and taking notes so I don’t have to

3. Researching poo poo I don’t want to

4. Reviewing medical records so I don’t have to read about some lady’s leaky nipples and genital warts

5. Summarizing depositions that I already took

6. Making binders wrong and then making them again

7. Billing for all of the above
lol

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

evilweasel posted:

first-chairing depositions is so much better and i never realized how much better, until i told the midlevel second-chairing the deposition "i've only been on this case for a week and don't actually know anything about the guy, so i need the outline you're writing to be so detailed that anyone could take it and do this deposition"

and then he did, and then i got to take credit for his work by having the deposition go very well

First chairing is so much better. The other thing is I like having taken enough testimony to know when someone's lying or being squirrely with me or setting up traps for them. God, it's so good.

Seriously, no one takes as much testimony as goddamn family lawyers do.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

nm posted:

That provides basically no protection against smoke.

I found that out, yes. But I could pretend to be antifa while biking through the apocalypse.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

sullat posted:

I found that out, yes. But I could pretend to be antifa while biking through the apocalypse.

Me IRL

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

CaptainScraps posted:

First chairing is so much better. The other thing is I like having taken enough testimony to know when someone's lying or being squirrely with me or setting up traps for them. God, it's so good.

Seriously, no one takes as much testimony as goddamn family lawyers do.

i loving love lying witnesses, they're so much fun and they make trial so loving satisfying

i once had a case where our closing statement was mostly putting up slides of the plaintiff's testimony, and then his testimony being directly contradicted by his own expert (who we'd deposed before he apparently fully understood what parts of his industry he was supposed to play dumb about).

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Jesus 8 years and has done nothing? gently caress i’m less than a month in, i make court appearances almost daily, and i’m arguing three different motions on monday.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I also seem to judge other attorneys on whether or not they can tie a proper double windsor cause that’s the only knot someone should be using.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Mr. Nice! posted:

I also seem to judge other attorneys on whether or not they can tie a proper double windsor cause that’s the only knot someone should be using.

You sound short.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Anyone doing anything more than the most basic tie knot is trying way too hard

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

nm posted:

You sound short.

And skinny.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Nice! posted:

Anything that isn't four in hand is way too much effort

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Mr. Nice! posted:

I tie a four step garbage knot and that's all I'm ever going to learn. I wear a tie so rarely that I have to reteach myself every time.

I'm gonna start making my own bacon and salami to make up for it though.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Four in hand means my ties don't end mid-stomach.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Lazy, Half-Windsor wearers unite.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

"i think this looks right" is the only correct tie knot imo

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Mr. Nice does a double windsor because a double windsor is a sandwich.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

evilweasel posted:

"i think this looks right" is the only correct tie knot imo

I'm a fan of looking at someone else and saying "this knot looks right, right?" and ignoring their answer

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I'd defend depos all day for 100k

I, too, would play on my phone all day for 100K

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Pook Good Mook posted:

Lazy, Half-Windsor wearers unite.

We Stand Together Then Sit Down the rest of the time.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

nm posted:

You sound short.

lmao rack em

Look Sir Droids posted:

Mr. Nice does a double windsor because a double windsor is a sandwich.

I will poo poo in your heart

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Just lol if you wear ties period

I imagine it’s required for all you court-appearance-havers tho

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Soothing Vapors posted:

I will poo poo in your heart

:lol:

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

I kept reading "I will poo poo in your head" and I was like "why would you do that that's mean"
But it makes more sense now

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
Pratt knot superiority

also,

I’M FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE from ever having to practice law

I interviewed for an analyst job with a major bank awhile back and today I got an offer that pays better than most of management at the PD’s office.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
how much did you throw away on bar prep

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
Still taking the bar because I’m a masochist.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

disjoe posted:

Just lol if you wear ties period

I imagine it’s required for all you court-appearance-havers tho

yeah you gotta have a tie or two in your desk drawer for court appearances/settlement conferences/mediations/clients showing up

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Toona the Cat posted:

Don't do this, or if you do don't go through the formalities to become a lawyer. It will signal to your employer that you want to jump ship to practice law at the first opportunity. Even if your direct report knows this isn't the case there is always the risk that someone else with power notices and makes the wrong assumption.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I only wear a Merovingian knot

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Toona the Cat posted:

Wtf Toona.

I mean this in the most respectful way, but I hope you fail. Passing will commit you to a lifetime of CLE requirements, bar/board fees, and maybe professional taxes (although looks like PA doesn't have that).

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Don't loving take the bar you fool. Run, run now.

Also just scored a raise, now I can afford a nicer cardboard box in the Bay.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Mr. Nice! posted:

You are what James Bond refers to as a "cad". This means you are right.

Just lol if you don't adjust your tie knot to your face shape and beard.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Nice piece of fish posted:

Just lol if you don't adjust your tie knot to your face shape and beard.

Or lack of either

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Alexeythegreat posted:

Or lack of either

If you don't have a face that's definitely four in hand territory

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Konstantin posted:

Don't do this, or if you do don't go through the formalities to become a lawyer. It will signal to your employer that you want to jump ship to practice law at the first opportunity. Even if your direct report knows this isn't the case there is always the risk that someone else with power notices and makes the wrong assumption.

Actually, do it and just don't tell them. Easy as heck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Learned a double windsor in bootcamp. It was the first tie I ever owned and the only knot I ever learned to tie. It’s fast and easy, and I love symmetry.

My only suit is falling apart though. I have to get something new this weekend because I have my second adversarial hearing on monday. This one i’m going to be calling witnesses and doing legit cross of state witnesses. My last one was basically just me vs a probation officer. This is me vs a state attorney that’s been practicing for a few years. :lol: that in three weeks i’ll have done more than biglaw people do in years but also :smith: that i’m making 1/3 what they make.

And, yeah, i’m 5’7”. Not terribly tall. I used to be taller but i’ve lost an inch to back and hip issues over the years.