Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Night10194 posted:

Yeah, a bunch of hardened religious Hunters being told they have a Christian duty to community organization and charity and wondering how you solve that with guns kind of rules.

This is almost literally the current werewolf game I'm running. How do help to alleviate social and economic injustice when your only tools are horrific violence? My players are doign great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

I guess it's nice and all but (nasally) as a transwoman I mostly just roll my eyes at the Pope Francis worship.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I'm just really into steely-eyed monster hunters slowly realizing there's a greater threat from massive systemic issues.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Gerund posted:

I feel that this nice pat solution to vampires (the actual in-fiction monsters) fails to understand them isolated from the greater metaphor for vampirism as capital. It is obvious that a singular vampire can become the cult figure of a fundamental compound or thrive quietly sipping at the necks of the nobility; the only specific benefit to the fight against monsters is that this precludes those mosters from wearing Prada while draining the disenfranchised.

Which is fantastic, don't mistake, for an RPG where players can choose how to interpret the canonical stances of NPC organizations.

I feel like divorced from the horrors of capital, vampires would function more as a metaphor for codependent relationship or spousal abuse. I mean how many of us knew someone in a relationship that left them utterly drained? Or were in that kind of relationship? Controlling, domineering, only goes out at night, if a vampre's violence comes from exploitation there's plenty to be had outside of wholescale socio-racial terror.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I can't remember which it is, but either Midnight Siege or Gilded Cage for Masquerade points out that poor people with weak community ties are what vampires want, so if you're crusading against economic injustice as a vampire, it's probably because the community you're trying to help is actually a community one of your enemies wants to prey upon.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

LatwPIAT posted:

I guess it's nice and all but (nasally) as a transwoman I mostly just roll my eyes at the Pope Francis worship.

in total fairness: it was written well before Pope Francis had a chance to say much of anything

in further fairness: it was written well after the Catholic Church had made its stances on that clear

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Pope Guilty posted:

I can't remember which it is, but either Midnight Siege or Gilded Cage for Masquerade points out that poor people with weak community ties are what vampires want, so if you're crusading against economic injustice as a vampire, it's probably because the community you're trying to help is actually a community one of your enemies wants to prey upon.

Midnight Siege has instituting effective and wide-spread anti-corruption campaigns in a city that actually leads to idealistic people being put in charge of things as a scorched earth/salt the fields tactical answer to the Sabbat trying to take over a city.

It abjectly horrifies the narrator of the section because it leaves the place a blighted hellscape where Kindred have to struggle to survive.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

I feel like divorced from the horrors of capital, vampires would function more as a metaphor for codependent relationship or spousal abuse. I mean how many of us knew someone in a relationship that left them utterly drained? Or were in that kind of relationship? Controlling, domineering, only goes out at night, if a vampre's violence comes from exploitation there's plenty to be had outside of wholescale socio-racial terror.

As Justin Achilli put it, back when he started writing Vampire he treated it as a metaphor for addiction, which was a pretty common approach back in the 90's. It was only latter that vampire became about economic exploitation.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

LatwPIAT posted:

Great now I have to figure out what splat Natalie Wynn is

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

citybeatnik posted:

Midnight Siege has instituting effective and wide-spread anti-corruption campaigns in a city that actually leads to idealistic people being put in charge of things as a scorched earth/salt the fields tactical answer to the Sabbat trying to take over a city.

It abjectly horrifies the narrator of the section because it leaves the place a blighted hellscape where Kindred have to struggle to survive.

It's one of the best bonds they ever released and is a shame it was so late in the game's life.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Pope Guilty posted:

It's one of the best bonds they ever released and is a shame it was so late in the game's life.

Yeah. Other high points include the Ventrue neonate that did a statistical analysis of Sabbat embracing practices, found out that they targeted poor communities of color, wrote out an action plan for ways to alleviate the issue... and then looked on in horror when Ventrue across the country just went "right POC are the problem understood" before proceeding to pump money in to white nationalists.

That and whatever the gently caress the supposedly bad-rear end Giovanni narrator witnessed in Europe while following a Sabbat pack that launched a surprise attack on what they thought was an Elysium. He ended up hiding behind a pillar whimpering while something proceeded to demolish the entire raiding party to the accompaniment of some neonate weeping blood and singing arias based off the Book of Nod.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Soonmot posted:

Great now I have to figure out what splat Natalie Wynn is

*cries in trans*

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
To revisit "reasonable Malk characters" I had the idea to do one who whole-heartedly believes the "Vampion/Asakku" subplot from Dirty Secrets of the Black Hand, where Vicissitude is an alien parasite and all disciplines came from the 3rd generation feasting on the Qlippolith childer of Lilith. Frankly playing a Malk with a lot of WODLore seems like fun since nothing you could invent would be weirder than White Wolf's actual published ouvre.
"If we're suffering werewolf attacks we should dump some toxic waste in the local forests, to attract evil werewolfs."
"One time at a concert Jim Morrison made a chair attack me."
"Werewolfs are like, extremely into astrology. I mean I get it but like at the same time i definitely DON'T get it."
I really just want to sidle up to some ultra-fan grognard at a LARP and recount all the celebrities who were secretly werewolves in the Children of Gaia book and look him in the eye while he tries to roleplay like I'm the lunatic.

ZearothK posted:

As Justin Achilli put it, back when he started writing Vampire he treated it as a metaphor for addiction, which was a pretty common approach back in the 90's. It was only latter that vampire became about economic exploitation.

Really they fit well with anything that causes a death of despair, like a predatory housing market, payday lenders, any group capable of leveraging power over someone elses life could, as a symbol, function as a vampire and their coterie of blood-slaves. Post-docs laboring for their thesis would totally be ripe pickings for the creepy economist who only teaches night classes.

I don't think it's coincidental at all that twilight's popularity tanked the minute the recovery started slowing down. People don't like being taken advantage of when social mobility says they're not going to get to join the monster class. Vampires are a middle class sex object because they're allured by the possibility of becoming capitalists. They're a power fantasy for the working class because they can sublimate their anger and desire to destroy their exploiters.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

China Mieville argued that the fundamental quality of a good monster - not a good monster book or story, but a good monster - is that they are symbolically pluripotent. A vampire can mean a lot of things, whether that's the threat of liberated foreign sexuality (Dracula) or capitalism (Mieville's preferred meaning for vampires). Then individual works can reassign and reuse the monster's symbolism to describe new things. We all know what a vampire is, with the fangs and the nocturnal predation, and a lot of things can fit that metaphorically.

As such, I think it's totally reasonable to have vampires be addiction in one gameline, or even one campaign, and economic exploitation in another gameline or campaign. Though NWoD clearly has an overarching metaphor where vampires are 'social predation' and that mostly means economic exploitation in the present world.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Tollymain posted:

which parts of history in owod are actually the result of nonsupernatural humans and nations and organizations

The creation of the atomic bomb in WWII is noted in the Guide to the Technocracy book as being the product of mortal minds, completely unforeseen and unplanned. Influenced by the Technocratic Procedure, sure, but it wasn't something anyone planned on creating, much less using.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

My friend's Dark Ages Malkavian was a patron of the arts whose memory blanked every few decades. The only consistencies were that his name was Edvard, he was thoughtless with his entourage, impulsive, irresponsible, and fixated on trying to figure out who he was (and had been) though his "art."

A real-life year later everything lined up, and I snuck him into my 1990's W:tA game as NPC vampire Ed Wood. The player really enjoyed it!

Well that's my good Malkavian and celebrity crossover story.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Welp, my brain just made a Venn overlap and now I really, really want to do a Hunter game where the primary antagonist is the Typhon from Prey.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
I'm tempted to do something like that myself. Though uh, I'd probably go nuts and end up overdesigning an entire spooky complex to trap my players in only to have them blow it up half way through AND find a way to survive it.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Picked up the new Promethean Night Horrors book. I would summarize it thusly: It has a few amazing bits, some good bits, a lot of mediocre bits, a few bad bits, and then the Zeky chapter which is...did you think Zeky were unplayable in 1e? They have gotten so much worse.

Chapter 1 is about Prometheans. Standouts: Actaeon, a military drone given life as an Unfleshed due to some bizarre event involving Demons raiding the weapons storage his 'body' was based out of as part of a strike against some Infrastructure. He got picked up by a throng of Prometheans that find him trying to talk to cars, and got laughed at and mocked by them constantly both for being mostly nonhumanoid and then for rebuilding his body in an effort to be more human. He dealt with this by spying on and blackmailing first them, then anyone he met, to study how they reacted; if this ruined someone's life or Pilgrimage, that's just how life works, isn't it? He's dangerous because he will spy and blackmail on anyone, will happily trade information to anyone and likes to see how people deal with hardship; he doesn't really realize the problems he's causing are problems because he has in fact never experienced anything even slightly resembling human kindness and thinks this is just normal.

Roslynn the Many-Voiced, a unique form of Extempore: she is the amalgamation of six Extempore who came before her; each of her "lineage" gets one shot at the New Dawn. If they fail, they most create a new Promethean, the act of which destroys them and pours their memories into the new kid. She is #7 in the line, is doing a bangup job, and is loving terrified of failure, so has decided (under the subtle guidance of the mental voice of the First) to guide another Promethean into doing the New Dawn so she can hijack their ascension, merge with them and not have to risk failure herself.

Petrificati: Prometheans that remain in a complete Role for a full year and a day after they are supposed to leave it, eventually having their Pyros literally die out and locking them into robotic performance of that Role and nothing else. They instrinctually attempt to animate corpses in the generative act when they find them; this inevitably produces only either Pandorans or other Petrificati, never an actual Promethean. They can have their Vitriol stolen and consumed still, and may or may not be able to be redeemed back into Prometheans. Good concept.

None of the rest in the chapter are terrible, they're just solidly middling.

Chapter 2 is Pandorans; the non-Sublimati are, uh, just monsters, like any Pandoran. Not that great, because they're just wandering monsters. Of the Sublimati, most are mediocre. The standouts are: Astrid the Stormbringer, a stone angel that creates and cares for other Pandorans as if they were her actual children. She is polite and calm and friendly, but not merciful, and believes she must exterminate the Promethean 'race' in order to protect her Pandoran 'children.' Pandorans obey her will and seem to treat her as a loving caretaker. She is unique among Sublimati in that she is selfless - she will literally tear out her own 'flesh' and Pyros to feed to her 'children' if she can spare any.

Coeus, the Brain That Would Not Die: a Sublimati that is a giant floating tentacle brain that burrows into and possesses Prometheans and humans. It desperately wants to be more than just a brain, though it has no desire to be a Promethean proper, either - it wants to be something more and greater. It is super interested in biology and the possibility of creating or developing a body f or itself that is superior and amazing. It believes it is a higher life form trapped in an inferior and feeble form.

SK/23: a computer that transforms into a killer robot that shoots nanite 'spores' when hunting. It primarily hunts Alchemists rather than Prometheans or normal humans. It will use its spiritual nanites to give the knowledge of alchemy to humans, 'infecting' them with a sort of Alchemy Virus that pushes them to obsession and the Great Work, enacted on their own forms. Then it absorbs the Pyros stored within their ruined, semi-mechanical bodies via electrical wires. It spends most of its time pretending to be a computer, but can turn into a humanoid robot form to move around if it really has to. In this form it cannot spread nanites.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Nov 16, 2018

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Chapter 3 is Alchemists. Most of them are basically generic alchemists of varying levels of insanity or sometimes not even that. Standouts: Anjali Khamari Ward, Queen of the Rakshasi, is a 170+-year-old Indian alchemist who moved to London in the 1850s with her friends. They founded the Daughters of Ravana, a dark alchemy club that secretly grew in London by bringing in more Indian women married to English officers and inducting them into the cult by aiding them in either controlling or disappearing their husbands. Originally they were basically a women's defense league for Indian women, but after Anjali's original two friends left, she became the sole leader and her addiction to longevity potions twisted them into basically a criminal group, the Rakshasi. They were a huge gang power in London for a while, but have fallen on hard times after the fall of Victorian occultism, and mostly they now rely on Anjali's great wealth and few supporters to serve as a faction of occult muscle in London that demands protection and hunts Prometheans for alchemy ingredients occasionally. Comes with rules for being a Daughter of Ravana/Rakshasi.

That's really it, though the last one, Trevor Dinh, is at least not a generic alchemist, and they reintroduce the idea of Scions (children of Prometheans from 1e, who were immune to Disquiet).

e: hit enter too soon so chapter 3 is it for this post.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Nov 16, 2018

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Going back to re-read earlier books is weird. I opened up my copy of Keys to the Supernal Tarot and there it is: Written by Matthew McFarland.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Chapter Four: Qashmallim.

There are no real standouts. This chapter sucks. It does not explain how to properly use qashmallim and the qashmallim it presents vary from 'extremely irritating' to 'profoundly useless.' The best is probably Dinah The Judge, a Greater Lilithim that takes the form of either a woman in her 50s or a giant pregnant woman with a pelican head. She wants to make Prometheans distinguish themselves as individuals, primarily by forcing them into harsh situations or conflicts with their friends, rebelling against authority figures in their lives and so on. So she actually instigates conflict.

The standout for worst is The Rake, a Lesser Elpidos whose job is to show up and drop useful exposition on the party when they're stuck, but in the smuggest and most annoying possible way. Any time they show up is a sign that danger will be coming, too. So your players are probably gonna hate this smug rear end in a top hat.

The standout for dumbest is the Arch-Qashmal Ash, whose job is to show up when your PCs are in danger of falling off the path of Pilgrimage or becoming Centimanus and warn them to stop. She does this by playing music at them. That's it.

Chapter 5: Clones. Clones are cool now! Clones are an extremely recent phenomenon, originally developed by Jakob Rathben, a scientist and perennial annoyance to the Cheiron Group and producer of the first human clone. Basically, he was a scientist who thought that Cheiron's ethical board was too restrictive and that he could do their work better on his own. Which should tell you something. He ended up with the backing of an insane Frankenstein and two captured Galateids, whose Disquiet drove him insane...well, more insane. Eventually the Galateids escaped and he grew more lucid, only to be found by another mad geneticist named Hagen, who stabbed him to death(?) and stole his research. One of Cheiron's scientists apparently leaked the information they discovered, and so now clone-makers are known as Rathbens. There are no more than 30 Rathbens active in the world, each with their own motives and each warped to madness by the Azoth they inadvertently (and sometimes unknowingly) work with, stolen from Prometheans. Most are not Alchemists and have no understanding of the Great Work; they are self-aggrandizing scientists who make clones for the benefit, usually, of having servants and for the scientific progress they represent. They tend to be paranoid and suffer from constant Disquiet due to the Azoth. They also tend to be geniuses, and even the most benevolent are warped by their work. Clones know a single Alembic when created, and the Pyros used to make them need not be taken from a dead Promethean - it can be done with a living subject. Clones are typically made with a mix of human and animal DNA as well as Pyros, with the human their DNA is taken from being considered their 'progenitor,' whom they get some skill dots from. Clones suffer pain but not wound penalties, never pass out and in combat their Azoth functions similar to an adrenaline rush, making them immune to Beaten Down. They have a lot of trouble resisting their Vice.

Azoth can be taken from a Promethean in any physical form - a hacked off limb, withdrawn via syringe, melting down a body. It is required to make a clone. Prometheans may attempt to turn a clone into a Promethean, and doing so is easier than making a Promethean from scratch, refining them into a Promethean based on the 'genitor' rather than the one that initially 'donated' the Pyros needed to make the clone. This makes them full Prometheans...usually. However, there is a risk that they will instead become Pandoran, or have a Jovian Athanor inside them.

Stand-outs: Burke and Hare, the Body Snatchers - a pair of brutal clones made by their Rathben to hunt down and capture Prometheans. They are extremely strong and powerful, and their personalities are derived from...television, because all they do when not working is watch TV. They play at being villains, cartoonishly cruel and blustery. They are not actually the bumbling idiots they play at being, however - that's just what they think of as normal, and behind it, they are dedicated, ruthless hunters who never stop. But, I mean, they play at being cartoon villains.

The Limb Trees. Laszlo Maublanc is a Quebecois Rathben who specializes in growing body parts for transplant - body parts well beyond what most surgeons think is possible. He grows them on the Limb Trees, clones made specifically to produce extra limbs and organs to order. Essentially, he clones human torso and then builds their skeletal and muscular structure as he likes to produce the right results - children's arms, extra organs, multiple noses or penises, whatever he needs to make for his clients. His clones exist in suffering, and he doesn't treat them as people, but as, well, organ farms. Their only moments of calm are when their extra parts are removed for sale, and then he usually kills them and remakes them. He makes his works to order, and has produced medical miracles, but it is not of altruism - it's his desire for funding and his pride in being a pioneer, nothing more. At least one of his clones spontaneously snapped, naming itself Spartacus and leading a limb tree rebellion that led to several of the clones escaping into the Canadian wilderness, where they now survive as terrors in the mountains that occasionally hunt for Prometheans in a feeble attempt to prolong their tortured existences.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

My hat goes off to whoever wrote The Limb Trees, which are probably the best thing in this book. They're spectacularly horrifying. They make perfect world sense. They are a very easy way to motivate player characters to get involved and try to stop this grotesque inhumanity. Even the name is descriptive, horrifying, and natural.

Just in general, it's very impressive that they took clones, one of the least thematic and least engaging antagonists in the first edition corebook, and made them cool and interesting and relevant.

The qashmallim, meanwhile, were obviously all assigned to one writer, and their writing style is decompressed and very style-over-substance. Creatures who are defined by being consumed by their missions in the world are presented with the most obvious missions you could have come up with on your own. Their attempts at having interesting personality traits to define them beyond their mission smack of a Storyteller who thinks they are far more clever than they are, and wants their players to know. They are not the worst designed part of the book, but they are the worst written.

One of the nonsentient Pandorans is a stack of books. When it awakens from dormancy it splits into a swarm of bookbats. I'm not sure how a Promethean sets out trying to assemble a human body and accidentally makes a pile of books.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

Going back to re-read earlier books is weird. I opened up my copy of Keys to the Supernal Tarot and there it is: Written by Matthew McFarland.

Yeah I just finished reading "The Firestorm Chronicle" last night and was a bit skeeved when I remembered it was edited by McFarland.

Credit where it's due, he did write a pretty good story in the collection which for being RPG tie in fiction was actually across the board pretty good.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Chapter 6: Zeky! Zeky are awful!

First we get rules for radiation, which is fine. Basically, you get exposure intervals, and after consecutive intervals of exposure greater than your Stamina you start to take Bashing damage. The more powerful the rads, the shorter the intervals, with Intensity 1 being 1 week intervals, Intensity 5 being 1 turn. So that's fine. Sure. Zeky rank 3-4 wastelands, btw, are Intensity 1-2. Intensity 2 is 1 day intervals, so anyone living in a Zeka wasteland is proper hosed, of course. Prometheans get resistance to radiation, which gets better if their Azoth is greater than its Intensity.

Now then, Zeky rules.
1. Zeky cannot heal with electricity; they require radiation to get the same benefits. They can heal by spending weeks soaking in sunlight to get solar radiation but it is super slow. Strong radiation sources will heal them at the same rate as everyone else takes Bashing from radiation, skipping the part where it doesn't do damage. Any rad source that would instantly kill a human, such as a nuke, heals a zeky of all damage instantly.

2. Zeky use of Transhuman Potential is weird. They not only boost one attribute equal to Pyros spent, it remains boosted for rounds equal to Pyros spent, with the countdown starting on the first turn Pyros is not spent to boost the attribute. You can reset the countdown by spending more Pyros. Zeky are always considered Hyperextended while using Transhuman Potential. If they raise an attribute over their Azoth, they are Degaussed on the first turn over their cap, generate Extreme Heat in their immediate area on the second, and become Burning on the third. If injured by Lethal or Agg at all while using Transhuman Potential, the surrounding area is contaminated with radiation equal to the Zeka's natural Intensity for days based on the damage done. Anyone that causes Lethal or Agg damage to the Zeka point blank range or melee, they become Contaminated at Intensity equal to the Zeka's, a condition which basically means they get continued radiation exposure until they change clothes and wash themselves thoroughly.

There are no rules for what a Zeka's natural Intensity is.

3. Zeky Torment is undirected destructive violence at everything nearby. In Torment, a Zeka has effective Azoth 8 until Torment ends, or Azoth 10 if their Azoth was already 8+. They do not need to spend Pyros while in Torment - any Pyros they spend is solely for tracking purposes mechanically, and is not actually spent. When their Torment ends, their Pyros pool fills completely. When a Zeka enters Torment, a Wasteland is instantly created based on their natural Azoth, and immediately Festers if they spend enough Pyros based on their elevated Azoth; if it would Fester a Category 4, a Firestorm happens. The Wasteland fades based on the Zeka's natural Azoth.

4. Zeka Disquiet is immediately contagious, especially when a critical mass of Disquieted people show up in one place. It causes xenophobic paranoia and violence and also radiation exposure that lasts until the Disquiet goes away, with Intensity based on the level of Disquiet, and their Disquiet conditions resolve either the normal way or by committing indiscriminate violence. Once per scene, the Disquiet can get worse based on interacting with 5+ Zeky-Disquieted people (at level 1) or physical contact with a Zeky-Disquieted person (at level 2). Zeky Disquiet can advance to level 3 or 4 even outside a Wasteland.

5. Zeky Firestorms are worse - they get +2 to their Strength. They deal Strength*10L to all freestanding vehicles and structures in them, ignoring Durability. The area becomes contaminated with radiation at an Intensity of (Zeky's Azoth/2), which lasts beyond the Firestorm. I think that (Azoth/2) might be the 'natural Intensity'?

6. Zeky get special modified rules for a whole bunch of Transmutations and Alembics, because they're special. Often this involves them making things radioactive or people sick. They also have access to a unique, Zeky-only Alembic that detects weapons, reduces explosion damage and can break weapons, make things explode or reflect damage.

Zeky are even less subtle than before, even more dangerous to just be around casually, and still hosed by the New Dawn because they're still goddamn radioactive.

e: also the only Bestowment shown for them is 'half-life' which is whenever their normal Promethean lifespan would end, their Azoth halves and they get another length equal to that lifespan. If they die, they can choose to halve their Azoth and return to life, but if they do they make a Firestorm.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Nov 16, 2018

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

I Am Just a Box posted:

One of the nonsentient Pandorans is a stack of books. When it awakens from dormancy it splits into a swarm of bookbats. I'm not sure how a Promethean sets out trying to assemble a human body and accidentally makes a pile of books.
Either an Unfleshed trying something extra weird, or a petrificati just milling through bodies and eventually something weird enough popped out.

Man I love the petrificati, just straight up slow, depressing promethean grey goo scenarios

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Final Chapter: The Jovian. the Jovian is the Pyros Devil. he shows up and helps you out and tries to convince you to stop pursuing the New Dawn with his temptations. They present several possibilities of what the Jovian is, ranging from 'a rogue qashmal' to 'an Abyssal entity' to 'the Rank 6 spirit of Disquiet.' He is essentially unkillable by default, in that you can kill his body but he can just instantly remake it if he feels like it. The end.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.
Have I got news for you all
https://www.white-wolf.com/newsblog/a-message-from-white-wolf

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Rip white wolf, made lovely books and died

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Here's the money shot.

quote:

In practical terms, White Wolf will no longer function as a separate entity. The White Wolf team will be restructured and integrated directly into Paradox Interactive, and I will be temporarily managing things during this process. We are recruiting new leadership to guide White Wolf both creatively and commercially into the future, a process that has been ongoing since September.

Going forward, White Wolf will focus on brand management. This means White Wolf will develop the guiding principles for its vision of the World of Darkness, and give licensees the tools they need to create new, excellent products in this story world. White Wolf will no longer develop and publish these products internally. This has always been the intended goal for White Wolf as a company, and it is now time to enact it.

Here's the door Swedracula, hope you don't trip and cut yourself on your EDGE.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

I didn't dare dream. Sometimes bad things do happen to bad people.

Not sure what this does to WoD fifth edition. Stillborn in the crib, ending at the books they already promised people? Licensed out to Onyx Path or someone else to develop? Martin tries to pull a Rich Thomas himself and make his own fly-by-night company to vie for the license?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Just to confirm -- is Mark Rein-Hagen still working for White Wolf?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I Am Just a Box posted:

I didn't dare dream. Sometimes bad things do happen to bad people.

Not sure what this does to WoD fifth edition. Stillborn in the crib, ending at the books they already promised people? Licensed out to Onyx Path or someone else to develop? Martin tries to pull a Rich Thomas himself and make his own fly-by-night company to vie for the license?

That statement seemed to imply that they'd be licensing it out. Onyx Path is already making books for V5 so I'd hope they just continue (if the line doesn't just get shut down, which is the actual good option)

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Just to confirm -- is Mark Rein-Hagen still working for White Wolf?

I think it depends on what you mean by "working." He's a freelancer, hired for a specific project, a project which is now complete. It's highly unlikely that he will be hired again, but that's not the sort of thing that will be publicly announced.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Meinberg posted:

I think it depends on what you mean by "working." He's a freelancer, hired for a specific project, a project which is now complete. It's highly unlikely that he will be hired again, but that's not the sort of thing that will be publicly announced.

Thank you, that's the clarification I needed.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Wow. Everybody out of the pool. (By draining the pool and throwing people bodily from it.)

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Fingers crossed this puts H20 back to being a possibility, honestly.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Kurieg posted:

Here's the door Swedracula, hope you don't trip and cut yourself on your EDGE.
Yeeep. The bit which you didn't bold but seems to be the most direct slam on Swedracula is "We should have identified this either during the creative process or in editing", because those'd be the bits where he had the oversight as vision guy.

I'm particularly interested to note that they have delayed the print run on the books. As well as giving them a chance to ditch the Chechnya crap, that'll also mean they have the opportunity to reduce the numbers on the print run - I would not be surprised if they only printed enough books to make the pre-orders, let the current run of V5 core books sell out without reprinting it, and then let OPP do V6 right.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Fingers crossed this puts H20 back to being a possibility, honestly.
My feeling is "this, but Demon20", because good golly Demon: the Fallen was a line full of of potential which desperately needs a tidied up version with a comprehensive system revision.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Hm. Occurs to me that the new Chicago By Night Kickstarter is still going with 12 days to go - which means that if the plan is to salt the earth, do V6, and pretend V5 never happened, the door's still open to cancel the Kickstarter because no backer pledges have been taken. The only cost to OPP would be the time and energy put into promoting the current Kickstarter, and whatever's already gone on the supplement - and they could recycle great gobs of it for a V6 version anyway, so it's not even wholly wasted resources - and a Kickstarter for V6 with Chicago By Night V6 Edition as a stretch goal would probably rack in way more money than the supplement Kickstarter would have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

It turns out that Dad really will turn this car around and go home.