Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Twitter is annoying and bad and this thread would be much better if quotes were posted instead of links to tweets. As is, it's barely readable. That's a shame because this thread has some good info and discussion otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

NaanViolence posted:

Twitter is annoying and bad and this thread would be much better if quotes were posted instead of links to tweets. As is, it's barely readable. That's a shame because this thread has some good info and discussion otherwise.

Do twitter links not display as the full tweet in your browser?

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

NaanViolence posted:

They should embed in the post my dude

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

mandatory lesbian posted:

I like how he's basically saying more voter suppression would have helped him win

Yeah, that's definitely what he's saying. But he's also hoping that what we're hearing is "hordes of illegal voters!!!!"

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

NaanViolence posted:

Counterpoint -

Twitter is by far the best way to share news stories on-site because of how tweets embed.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
If you're using the awful app, make sure you have the setting checked to ensure embedded tweets display in a post.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

If you're using the awful app, make sure you have the setting checked to ensure embedded tweets display in a post.

...that's a setting? :aaaaa:

This changes everything

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

OAquinas posted:

...that's a setting? :aaaaa:

This changes everything

Your world is about to improve.

Still no specials called in VA. We wait.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

The Glumslinger posted:

I'm sticking by my prediction that LeBron is gonna run for office shortly after he retires. He's richer than most of the self-funded assholes out there and already has a huge fanbase

LeBron will become the first person to be elected Governor in 3 different states. :v:

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/jmilescoleman/status/1063810732188467201?s=21

Dino Rossi would be pitiful if he wasn’t a Republican

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

it was p :lol: that he lost after two recounts by a rat's rear end-hair margin in 2004's gubernatorial race, and then ran again just to get stomped soundly in 2008

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I don't know how Dino hasn't been drummed out of republican politics yet. He's now lost four elections in a row and you just know he'll end up running for and losing like county executive or something

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

cheetah7071 posted:

I don't know how Dino hasn't been drummed out of republican politics yet. He's now lost four elections in a row and you just know he'll end up running for and losing like county executive or something

Controlled opposition?

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

cheetah7071 posted:

Sounds like he has a bright future ahead of him in the Connecticut GOP.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009
He should join the Democrats and become a DINO.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

cheetah7071 posted:

Well, how deep is the bench in the WA GOP?

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Ogmius815 posted:

Well, how deep is the bench in the WA GOP?

Yeah it’s not like narrowly losing is that bad a performance for a west coast Republican, unless 2004 governor’s race was somehow his to lose based on weird local factors.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
WA-8 has been republican since 1983. Losing it is a big deal.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Him running this year isn't necessarily a dumbass decision because I don't know what the republican bench is like in the 8th and he at least has name recognition. But running him for senate in 2010? Like, there's no ambitious eastern washington republican who doesn't have the stench of failure on their name?

Plus they keep appointing him to fill state senate vacancies. It's clear that the washington republican party is still enamored of him for some reason

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

LinYutang posted:

WA-8 has been republican since 1983. Losing it is a big deal.

Yeah, consulting maps shows that district is mostly over the Cascade Curtain.

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

Grape posted:

Yeah, consulting maps shows that district is mostly over the Cascade Curtain.

Most of its population is in the Seattle suburbs, on the far west of the district.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1064302885486383104

The level of failure of the Nelson campaign and Florida Democratic party that could result in a number like this is incomprehensible.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

mcmagic posted:

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1064302885486383104

The level of failure of the Nelson campaign and Florida Democratic party that could result in a number like this is incomprehensible.

The lack of a Spanish language website was a major warning sign when the campaign began. Apparently Rick Scott's outreach to Puerto Ricans was really good too. I don't know how effective it was, but it's appalling considering what Trump did; he'll be joined at the hip with Senator Scott.

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1064310015186616322

:wtc:

Ague Proof fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Nov 19, 2018

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
How the gently caress does this happen? The loving climate change vote in Florida? Is it a larger vote than usual because there are conservatives down there personally affected or what?

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

DACK FAYDEN posted:

How the gently caress does this happen? The loving climate change vote in Florida? Is it a larger vote than usual because there are conservatives down there personally affected or what?

A combination of "Yes, it's real and a problem and I'd like enough to be done about it so that it doesn't affect me, and no more" and the fact that most people don't have anything close to approaching a coherent ideology.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Nelson didn't have a Spanish website in frickin' Florida?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Lycus posted:

Hey, if English is good enough for space, it's good enough for Florida!

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

DACK FAYDEN posted:

nelson didn't bother to campaign

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

evilweasel posted:

nelson didn't bother to campaign

That doesn't explain why Gillum actually did worse than Nelson and lost the "climate change" voters by the same amount.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
VA-SEN-33 election has been set for January 8th, 2019. Delegate Jennifer Boysko (D) will face off against former Delegate Joe May, as decided by weekend primaries.

Meanwhile, VA-DEL-24 is in an uproar because the Republican “firehouse primary” was decided by a single vote (!) and Virginia law, despite having hard coded, detailed methodology on deciding ties, has no provision for recounts, and the VA GOP told the loser, Amherst County Supervisor Jimmy Ayers, to do one. Thusly, Rockbridge supervisor Ronnie Campbell moves on to face Lexington activist Christian Worth. That vote is December 18th, 2018.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Your Boy Fancy posted:

VA-SEN-33 election has been set for January 8th, 2019. Delegate Jennifer Boysko (D) will face off against former Delegate Joe May, as decided by weekend primaries.

Meanwhile, VA-DEL-24 is in an uproar because the Republican “firehouse primary” was decided by a single vote (!) and Virginia law, despite having hard coded, detailed methodology on deciding ties, has no provision for recounts, and the VA GOP told the loser, Amherst County Supervisor Jimmy Ayers, to do one. Thusly, Rockbridge supervisor Ronnie Campbell moves on to face Lexington activist Christian Worth. That vote is December 18th, 2018.

Is this the alarm bell I have been waiting for Fancy? Shall I assemble the goon squad?

What are Boysko's views on Dominion Power, Green Energy, and Climate Change?

For those that don't know, Dominion Power is trying to poison Virginia's waterways by dumping coal ash in rivers. We need delegates that will kick their corporatist polluting rear end. In 2017 14 Delegates got elected on a pledge to accept NO money from Dominion Power so that means these fucker's stranglehold on VA state politics is getting weaker.

friendbot2000 fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Nov 19, 2018

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

That doesn't explain why Gillum actually did worse than Nelson and lost the "climate change" voters by the same amount.

Nelson and Scott knew they were going to be on the ballot well in advance of when Gillum did, and Nelson ceded Scott months of getting to whitewash the Republican party without opposition because he couldn't be bothered to campaign until mid-October, including with respect to Puerto Rico. There were a smallish number of crossover votes who only voted for Nelson, but Nelson utterly failing to build the necessary campaign infrastructure and do the work needed hurt both of them badly.

turnip kid
May 24, 2010
What can Nikki Fried realistically accomplish? She's got a great platform especially as it pertains to gun control, but will the state allow her to implement any of it? I don't know how the state works!

I find it fascinating that she won.

http://www.tampabay.com/florida-politics/buzz/2018/11/18/this-is-how-nikki-fried-won-the-only-statewide-office-for-democrats/

quote:

That left one statewide Democratic candidate standing: Fried, a South Florida attorney whose first run for office catapulted her into a unique position.

Democrats' candidates for chief financial officer and attorney general lost by significant margins. After a machine recount confirmed Ron DeSantis' election, Tallahassee mayor and gubernatorial candidate Andrew Gillum conceded in a speech on Facebook live Saturday afternoon. U.S. Sen. Bill Nelson's campaign scheduled a 3 p.m. statement Sunday after the state's official results showed Gov. Rick Scott with a margin of 10,033 votes (0.12 percent) after a long week of lawsuits and dashed hopes to change election provisions.

Fried is not just the winner of the cabinet seat, but she also is now the highest-ranking Democrat in the state and the first woman elected to the job.

turnip kid fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Nov 19, 2018

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

evilweasel posted:

Nelson and Scott knew they were going to be on the ballot well in advance of when Gillum did, and Nelson ceded Scott months of getting to whitewash the Republican party without opposition because he couldn't be bothered to campaign until mid-October, including with respect to Puerto Rico. There were a smallish number of crossover votes who only voted for Nelson, but Nelson utterly failing to build the necessary campaign infrastructure and do the work needed hurt both of them badly.

I don't disagree with most of that, but it seems to place an unusually large onus on Nelson to be responsible for everyone else.

If you are a voter who said climate change is your #1 issue, then wouldn't it make sense to figure out the positions of the candidates?
If you are Gillum, then could you not build the case yourself? The Florida Gubernatorial primary was much more publicized for months than the Senate race.
How do campaigns work when Nelson isn't running? Does everyone wait until he starts campaigning to run ads or make public appearances?

I think the fact that DeSantis got the same % of climate change voters shows that it wasn't really Nelson's campaign that caused everyone 34% of downticket voters to vote GOP across the state.

It's more likely that people have different reasons for saying that climate change is an important issue and the people who said it was and voted straight-ticket Republican were going to vote straight-ticket Republican either way. Lots of people said climate change was an important issue in 2016 and voted for Donald "climate change is a chinese hoax" Trump.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I don't disagree with most of that, but it seems to place an unusually large onus on Nelson to be responsible for everyone else.

God forbid experienced party leadership be expected to build up the state party infrastructure and fill up a pipeline of up-and-coming candidates rather than coast on incumbency and the corporate cash gravy train.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Incumbency advantage is still a thing, as is racism. If anything, all else being equal we’d expect Nelson to overperform by at least a couple more points.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

VitalSigns posted:

God forbid experienced party leadership be expected to build up the state party infrastructure and fill up a pipeline of up-and-coming candidates rather than coast on incumbency and the corporate cash gravy train.

I know that fits your narrative, but you need to check the numbers. Part of the problem was that Nelson WASN'T on the corporate cash gravy train enough.

Scott raised and spent almost 300% of the money that Nelson did.

~$68 million vs. ~$27 million.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

It is interesting how the biggest complaint about Bernie around here in 2016 was that he isn't even a Democrat and he won't campaign for the downballot (this was false even at the time, he stumped for the downballot more than Hillary did lol).
But when establishment stooges do nothing for the party, do nothing for the downballot, or even actively steal from downballot candidates' campaign funds and funnel it to their own magically the narrative becomes "oh what, just because they're a leader suddenly they're responsible for others besides themselves?"

I know that fits your narrative, but you need to check the numbers. Part of the problem was that Nelson WASN'T on the corporate cash gravy train enough.

Scott raised and spent almost 300% of the money that Nelson did.

~$68 million vs. ~$27 million.

yeah I get this is just your schtick, but that isn't a refutation of what I said

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

VitalSigns posted:

It is interesting how the biggest complaint about Bernie around here in 2016 was that he isn't even a Democrat and he won't campaign for the downballot (this was false even at the time, he stumped for the downballot more than Hillary did lol).
But when establishment stooges do nothing for the party, do nothing for the downballot, or even actively steal from downballot candidates' campaign funds and funnel it to their own magically the narrative becomes "oh what, just because they're a leader suddenly they're responsible for others besides themselves?"

yeah I get this is just your schtick, but that isn't a refutation of what I said

How does the argument that Nelson didn't do enough to foster the careers of politicians in Florida follow to the conclusion that this led people to support Rick Scott? Especially when Nelson was the top-performing statewide Democrat in Florida in 2018.

Or that he was on the corporate cash gravy train, despite raising very little money compared to every other statewide campaign?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Lycus posted:

At this point any Democratic politician running for national or state-wide office that doesn't have Spanish language outreach is fundamentally unserious. I'd argue any Democratic politician period. It's one thing to not be able to find translators or something, at least you tried, but how the gently caress are you an incumbent Senator without Spanish-language poo poo?